Corvette project car

Started by 280Z Turbo, April 18, 2014, 09:19:25 PM

280Z Turbo

Well, the frame is rotted and the RF isn't exactly where GM intended it to be. The car flexes when it's on jack stands enough to make the passenger side door not open.

There's a place over in GR that specializes in Corvette frame repair, I might give them a call.

280Z Turbo

Just ordered some 16x7 Torque Thrust II's and 225/60-16 Firestone Wide Ovals. I guess they do make 16" tires! Comes with a nice $70 rebate on top of the low price.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Wide+Oval+AS+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=26HR6FHWAS

This will make a huge difference in the way the car drives and looks. I actually consider it a safety item because the old rims were the incorrect offset, causing a dangerous rubbing condition that could have worn right through the sidewall. Also, the tires were about 14 years old and bargain basement brand garbage.

hotrodalex

Sweet.

I have yet to really notice a huge driving difference with my new tires, but it was reassuring to see the guys from Hot Rod using the same tires to drive a 700 hp Camaro from Indy to SoCal in the snow.

Are the current tires radials at least?

280Z Turbo

hotrodalex

FlatBlackCaddy

Did you fix the rotting frame? or just do the obvious thing and forget about such a minor issue and buy some cool wheels?

:lol:

280Z Turbo

The frame is not an easy fix. It will have to wait.

I think it may take precedence over the engine.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 17, 2014, 03:00:51 PM
The frame is not an easy fix. It will have to wait.

I think it may take precedence over the engine.
How do you fix a rotting frame?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 17, 2014, 04:46:28 PM
How do you fix a rotting frame?

Start cutting and welding, or if it's really bad just start over. I'm guessing it's not that bad, if he's dumping money into other things(wheels). Otherwise if it was really bad it would normally stop a project in it's tracks.

280Z Turbo

I don't want to put the car out of commission. It's been bad for 35 years.

280Z Turbo

hotrodalex

I think you went too small on the tire size. Can barely see them!

MX793

Should have gone for silver painted wheels instead of polished/chrome.  JMHO.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

280Z Turbo

Quote from: MX793 on June 20, 2014, 09:40:20 AM
Should have gone for silver painted wheels instead of polished/chrome.  JMHO.

Eh, they don't really make any.

280Z Turbo

Car runs like crap, even after the carb rebuild. Same issue, no balls under acceleration, bogging at WOT.

Help me Quadrajet Jesus!

280Z Turbo

I know it ran fine a few years ago, so all of the rods and jets must be correct, right?

Rupert

Vacuum hose? :lol:

Ignition and timing are good, yes?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hotrodalex

What did you set the timing to?

Are all the spark plugs wires hooked up? :lol:

280Z Turbo

Rupert

Are all the spark plugs tight? How's the fuel pump?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

280Z Turbo

FoMoJo

Did you check the accelerator pump?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Rupert

Hmm, welp, that's the end of my troubleshooting know-how. :P

:lol:

One time I had this funny popping backfire sound in the MG that I just couldn't figure out. I did everything-- new hoses, new ignition, set the timing, replaced all the gaskets around the intake, tuned the carbs, probably sacrificed a Morris Minor to Lucas-god... Turns out I was an idiot, and I didn't disconnect the vacuum advance on the distributor before setting the timing. It was many degrees from right. :facepalm:

Worst part was I had been trying to get help from the MG forum, and was frustrated that people kept suggesting the same things that I was sure I had already done, like setting the timing.

hotrodalex

What's the cam in it? Stock?

I would advance the timing and see if that fixes it. Try 10-14* BTDC.

280Z Turbo

280Z Turbo

The RH accelerator pump passage to the primary is clogged. LH squirts away, RH is a dribble.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 21, 2014, 06:56:43 PM
What's the cam in it? Stock?

I would advance the timing and see if that fixes it. Try 10-14* BTDC.

No thanks. This is a 1960's motor running on 2012 gas. Not enough octane.

hotrodalex

I run even more than that without issues. But obviously the real issue was the clog.

280Z Turbo