Corvette project car

Started by 280Z Turbo, April 18, 2014, 09:19:25 PM

FoMoJo

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 24, 2014, 10:14:20 PM
From what I read, Holleys are good for performance, but have shitty fuel economy on the street. Edelbrocks are good for people without the brains to learn how the Rochester works.
The solution ;)

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

280Z Turbo

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 25, 2014, 06:49:48 PM
The solution ;)

Yeah, Webers are good for people with deep pockets.

Those unfiltered air horns are good for sucking in engine destroying debris. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 25, 2014, 06:52:24 PM
Yeah, Webers are good for people with deep pockets.

Those unfiltered air horns are good for sucking in engine destroying debris. :lol:

You CAN get filters for them you know.

But, my experience with webers on VWs is that they only really work good at full throttle.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

A PO stuck helper springs over the rear shocks to help support the rear end of the car. A normal person would have just replaced the worn leaf spring. :hammerhead:

The differential rear cover is cracked. This is where the rear spring mounts. It's been broken since at least 1977, so no emergency, I guess. :lol:

Carb  pulled apart:

Did the old JB weld over the leaky plugs trick for early Quadrajets.

280Z Turbo

Got KYB Monotube rear shocks, a new leaf spring, all new bushings, and a stronger rear end cover coming. Also realized one of the wheel cylinders was leaking, so those will be replaced.

Once that's done, the likelihood of death while operating the car will decrease by 50%. :lol:

The front suspension has rotted bushings, bad shocks, and a loose rag joint, but I'm less concerned with it.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 25, 2014, 07:07:08 PM
You CAN get filters for them you know.

But, my experience with webers on VWs is that they only really work good at full throttle.

We had a 48 IDA on the Mazda. It wasn't bad once it was tuned properly. They're also really cool looking.

Wouldn't start worth a damn in the cold, though.

280Z Turbo

Anybody ever rebuild a GM steering box?

I'm looking into a rebuild kit for $80.

hotrodalex

Is it a Delphi 700 series?

You can get a rebuilt one for just a bit more, I think. Unless you wanna do the work. But I think I paid $80 for a new one from a Monte Carlo that has way less slop and isn't boosted so much. (Compared to a late 60s Chevelle, not sure what the Corvettes are like)

280Z Turbo

280Z Turbo

Got the car running, but still need to tune in the timing. The battery ran out of juice as we were cranking it a lot trying to get it set correctly.

I'm thinking the issue is the starter. It was drawing a ton of current and heating up the cables, so I'm thinking it's time to get a remanufactured unit.

This direct drive starter is a monster. I placed a bottle cap on it for scale:

Squeeky clean Quadrajet with rebuilt distributor and new Pertronix coil:

280Z Turbo

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 07, 2014, 10:59:29 PM
Asked about 16" rims on a Corvette forum. At least 1 post was useful. (sigh)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3480911-pictures-of-c2s-with-16-rims.html#post1587082424

:lol:

Today I learned that they don't make 16" tires anymore...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

Soup DeVille

Quote from: mzziaz on June 08, 2014, 01:42:54 AM
Wat?

Oh, reading the responses at the Corvette forum that was linked, that's all.

Of course they make 16 inch tires still, and will fo rthe forseeable future too.

mzziaz

Oh, you've found some forum "knowledge"!
Cuore Sportivo

Soup DeVille

Quote from: mzziaz on June 08, 2014, 02:02:28 AM
Oh, you've found some forum "knowledge"!
I was especially impressed when the one chap explained that I could find 17 inch wheels if I did a search for "17s"

Unfortunately, stupid google thinks this has something to do with airplanes.

mzziaz

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 08, 2014, 03:08:57 AM
I was especially impressed when the one chap explained that I could find 17 inch wheels if I did a search for "17s"

Unfortunately, stupid google thinks this has something to do with airplanes.

One of the worst parts of being a mustang owner is having to wade through the Norwegian amcar  forums when I need something.

Its like the political threads here. So many opinions, so few facts.
Cuore Sportivo

MX793

Well, they're right in as much as you'll have a harder time finding performance tires of the correct OD with a 16" tire versus a lower profile 17" tire.  I ran into this with the Mustang when I wore out the OEM 17" tires.  The OEM tires had a 60 aspect ratio, and I could only go up another 10mm in width and still fit on the rim, which limited me to no lower than a 55 series tire.  Very little in hi-po summer tires with more than a 50 aspect ratio.  I think there were only 2 or 3 on Tirerack, versus a dozen if I went up to a wider, 18" wheel. 

That said, this isn't a resto-mod and you probably don't care about having really high performance tires.  A modern grand touring tire or sport all season is likely better than what came on those cars from the factory.

And I agree, the 16" wheel seems to be the sweet spot.  Still enough sidewall to look reasonably authentic, but it fills the wheel well a bit better than the 15s.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

280Z Turbo

Quote from: MX793 on June 08, 2014, 06:29:13 AM
Well, they're right in as much as you'll have a harder time finding performance tires of the correct OD with a 16" tire versus a lower profile 17" tire.  I ran into this with the Mustang when I wore out the OEM 17" tires.  The OEM tires had a 60 aspect ratio, and I could only go up another 10mm in width and still fit on the rim, which limited me to no lower than a 55 series tire.  Very little in hi-po summer tires with more than a 50 aspect ratio.  I think there were only 2 or 3 on Tirerack, versus a dozen if I went up to a wider, 18" wheel. 

That said, this isn't a resto-mod and you probably don't care about having really high performance tires.  A modern grand touring tire or sport all season is likely better than what came on those cars from the factory.

And I agree, the 16" wheel seems to be the sweet spot.  Still enough sidewall to look reasonably authentic, but it fills the wheel well a bit better than the 15s.

Likely better? Even Ching-Chong Squeelmaster All Seasons are better than 6.70x15 bias plies. :lol:

280Z Turbo

Got the car started. Runs a lot better now, but still has a weird issue where it won't return to a proper idle after a quick blip of the throttle. It wants to idle low, but give it a little gas and it will return to normal. Could the choke pull off cause this?

Also, it has a weird intermittent popping sound out the exhaust at idle. With the ignition and carburetor sorted, I'm thinking there must be a valve issue. Perhaps the valves are leaking?

280Z Turbo

Quote from: mzziaz on June 08, 2014, 03:35:58 AM

One of the worst parts of being a mustang owner is having to wade through the Norwegian amcar  forums when I need something.

Its like the political threads here. So many opinions, so few facts.

Yes, yes...poor little European doesn't like our brash American capitalism. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 08, 2014, 04:04:37 PM
Got the car started. Runs a lot better now, but still has a weird issue where it won't return to a proper idle after a quick blip of the throttle. It wants to idle low, but give it a little gas and it will return to normal. Could the choke pull off cause this?

Yes.

mzziaz

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 08, 2014, 04:14:48 PM
Yes, yes...poor little European doesn't like our brash American capitalism. :lol:

Norwegian amcar forums. I´m sure we have world class boneheads.
Cuore Sportivo

280Z Turbo

Quote from: mzziaz on June 08, 2014, 05:13:33 PM
Norwegian amcar forums. I´m sure we have world class boneheads.

I was referring to us.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 08, 2014, 04:33:51 PM
Yes.

I'm going to have my dad pick up a new choke pull off this week. I tested the current one and it leaks.

280Z Turbo

Thinking about pulling the body off this winter. How hard could it be?

GoCougs

What's gonna be hard is all the sins you're gonna find (and will have to correct now that you see them) ;).

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on June 09, 2014, 08:19:35 AM
What's gonna be hard is all the sins you're gonna find (and will have to correct now that you see them) ;).

:hesaid:

Unless you have a good reason or want a lot more work, probably best to not open the closet door and see the cobwebs. :lol: