The trials and tribulations of Xer0's Civic Si ownership

Started by Xer0, May 01, 2014, 12:11:04 PM

Xer0

Well I’ve had the Si for about a month and a half now and I’m enjoying it a lot.  I’ve also made a long list of things that need to get changed on it and have already ordered my first upgrade; the Hondata ECU programmer and a tune by a well regarded tuner.  I’m saving the intake and exhaust and all of that other ricer shit for later.  The car could also use some work on the suspension and the stock tires have got to go as they are garbage. 

Anyway, Monday morning I wake up to go to work and I see this in my driveway.

Fuckers jacked my wheels in the middle of the night on my driveway.  This is pretty damn depressing.  The car was resting on just two milk crates so I quickly went to each of our cars, stole their jacks, and put one on each corner with a stack of bricks just in case.  So now, my car looks like this in my driveway.

I called the cops, called my insurance, got all of my shit lined up and filed my claim.  After my deductible, insurance offered $2084.  I talked them up to $2300 and now I’m just waiting for the day to be over to get my check.  Ordering replacement parts off of TireRack and having them doing the mounting and balancing of the tires let me absorb a good amount of the deductible since the OEM Si rims and tires are expensive as fuck (Honda lists each at 314 retail, 278 wholesale.  Crazy).  The difference will also cover a new alarm system for the car.

As soon as the tires come in I’m going to install them and then drive the car to the Honda dealership so that they can align the car and program the tire pressure monitors.  I’m hoping that I get all of this done by Tuesday.

Edit:  Does anyone have any wheel lock and alarm system recommendations?  I don't want a repeat of this :D

Raza

That sucks hardcore dude.  Were there no wheel locks on you car?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Are you getting another set of stock wheels?  RPF-1s look good on this gen Si.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Soup DeVille

Wheel locks are worthless, and didn't it already have them anyways? ( my Si came with them years ago, maybe thats changed?)

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SJ_GTI

Ouch, that sucks. One of the downside to driving a car that is so popular (Civic in general), and having the top model.

If it makes you feel any better, I put on JUST new tires, brakes, and rotors and spent $1,964.00. Luckily my pop works at an auto shop and got the parts for me at his cost or it would have beenm closer to $2500.  :praise:

Xer0

Quote from: Raza  on May 01, 2014, 12:16:25 PM
That sucks hardcore dude.  Were there no wheel locks on you car?

Nope, blows right?

Quote from: 68_427 on May 01, 2014, 12:17:19 PM
Are you getting another set of stock wheels?  RPF-1s look good on this gen Si.

My friend also recommended the RPF-1's and I don't really like the way they look.  I went with the Motegi MR121 which is very obviously a BBS SR knock off but are almost 4 lbs lighter and $60 a wheel cheaper.  I went with the Pilot Sport 3 A/S for the tire.  I'm still not sure if I should even bother with two sets so I'm going with a solid A/S for now.

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 01, 2014, 12:19:40 PM
Wheel locks are worthless, and didn't it already have them anyways? ( my Si came with them years ago, maybe thats changed?)

To my knowledge my Si didn't.  The dealer never gave me a key or anything or mentioned them.  And I know that a good thief can just go through them, but with how cheap they are and the little bit of inconvenience they add, I figure why not.

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 01, 2014, 01:22:59 PM
Ouch, that sucks. One of the downside to driving a car that is so popular (Civic in general), and having the top model.

If it makes you feel any better, I put on JUST new tires, brakes, and rotors and spent $1,964.00. Luckily my pop works at an auto shop and got the parts for me at his cost or it would have beenm closer to $2500.  :praise:

Ha, at least one of us is happy.  What did you get?

MexicoCityM3

Ultra-fuck. That totally sucks. Will what you're getting from insurance cover the wheels 100%?
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Xer0

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 01, 2014, 01:37:04 PM
Ultra-fuck. That totally sucks. Will what you're getting from insurance cover the wheels 100%?

I'll be short my deductible (500) but by going aftermarket I can make up the difference and come out a little bit on top.  The stock Si wheels look good, but they are really heavy at 23.5 lbs each and really expensive for what they are so this works in my favor somewhat.

Xer0

Hmm, complication.  The insurance check is written out to me and the dealership for the total price of parts/services.  But I've already ordered the parts and I just need the services.  Would the dealership be okay with signing for the check so that I can deposit it and then pay whatever the services cost out of pocket?

MexicoCityM3

Given that you recently bought a brand new car from them I sure hope they won't be assholes about it.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Xer0 on May 01, 2014, 01:33:35 PM
Ha, at least one of us is happy.  What did you get?

That was a sarcastic happy.  :lol:

The tires were Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's, can't remember the brand for the rotors and brake pads (believe they were same as OE).

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

Wow, that fucking blows! That really blows!

Makes me totally want to secure your garden and garage with Claymore mines - because the fuckers that do this deserve to be blown to bits.  :rage:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FlatBlackCaddy

wheel locks would have done absolutely nothing.

Frankly your lucky they left the motor, honda thieves are notorious around here. They could have pulled your motor and most of your interior in about 20 minutes.

Well, that's honda ownership. It's the main reason I never bought a integra Type R, didn't feel like going through all that work just to own it for a few weeks.

68_427

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 05, 2014, 11:14:53 AM
wheel locks would have done absolutely nothing.

Frankly your lucky they left the motor, honda thieves are notorious around here. They could have pulled your motor and most of your interior in about 20 minutes.

Well, that's honda ownership. It's the main reason I never bought a integra Type R, didn't feel like going through all that work just to own it for a few weeks.

Like Clay's brother having I think two Type-Rs and a GSR stolen...
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Xer0

Well, wheels/tires finally came in

And then spending some time I installed them.  And by spending some time I mean be a giddy school kid on Christmas about to open up his brand new PS4.

Tomorrow I'm going to take it into the dealership to get everything checked out and make sure there is no lingering damage anywhere, get the car aligned, and program the tire pressure sensors. 

Although, these tires are making me want a new suspension more and more as the car would look a lot, lot better lowered a bit...

SVT666

Lebowski

That sucks man. Some will remember picks of my old F150 up on jack stands about 10 years ago. Totally sucks.

My understanding is also that wheel locks are pretty much worthless. Only thing that really protects against this is a private garage IMHO.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Lebowski on May 06, 2014, 05:16:54 PM
That sucks man. Some will remember picks of my old F150 up on jack stands about 10 years ago. Totally sucks.

My understanding is also that wheel locks are pretty much worthless. Only thing that really protects against this is a private garage IMHO.

Pretty much,

This:
http://www.amazon.com/Wilmar-M980-Emergency-Lug-Removal/dp/B000FTN3KK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399471131&sr=8-2&keywords=wheel+lock+nut+remover

Plus a cordless 1/2" impact equals about 2 minutes and your rims are gone. Jacked up, unbolted(locks or not) and down the road.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 05, 2014, 11:14:53 AM
That's that good old Honda serviceability
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SJ_GTI

New wheels look good!

Agree about the drop though (it would definitely look better lowered, even if just half an inch), but then I would say that about most new cars.

Xer0

Unfortunately I don't have a garage so that's out.  Its really stupid, our house is the only one without a garage and I just don't get it.

I'm installing one of those motion sensor alarms now to at least make me feel slightly better. 

The car seems to drive better and not just in outright grip.  I don't know if its just my mind playing tricks on me, or if the lighter wheels/better tires are that noticeable, but so far so good. 

FlatBlackCaddy

I'm sure they'll be back.

Instead of letting them continue to rob wheels and in the future other items such as engines and seats. Just leave the keys in the center console, but with the doors locked. That way they will just take the whole car and you can get paid for the whole thing.

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 07, 2014, 10:14:22 AM
I'm sure they'll be back.

Instead of letting them continue to rob wheels and in the future other items such as engines and seats. Just leave the keys in the center console, but with the doors locked. That way they will just take the whole car and you can get paid for the whole thing.

All you need to do is surround the car in claymores. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on May 07, 2014, 11:30:18 AM
All you need to do is surround the car in claymores. 

They'd just steal them too.

Catman

Every time we investigate one of these it's a Honda Civic.  Sorry man.

Xer0

Quote from: Catman on May 07, 2014, 06:06:54 PM

Just curious, but do these investigations every actually turn anything up?

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Catman on May 07, 2014, 06:06:54 PM

It's a problem here in SLC too. Enough to warrant a news article warning Civic owners to watch their stuff. My coworker's Civic was stolen right from our work parking lot apparently.

Have you considered mounting a camera facing the driveway?

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!