Lebowski's Next Car Thread, and Farewell to the C6

Started by Lebowski, May 14, 2014, 06:38:32 PM

Laconian

The SS looks like a Thrifty rental unit. Why the hell would anybody spend $50k on that?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT666

Quote from: Laconian on May 15, 2014, 11:14:29 AM
The SS looks like a Thrifty rental unit. Why the hell would anybody spend $50k on that?
I don't care how good the car is, it looks like a Malibu.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

FlatBlackCaddy

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Lebowski on May 15, 2014, 11:13:14 AM
At the risk of sounding like a snob, aside from the corvette and maaaaybe the Tahoe/Yukon/suburban (though this newest gen I don't love) there really hasn't been m a GM product, and I dare say won't be anytime in the future, that I could ever see myself buying.  SS looks ok but I wouldn't buy it, and not just because of size.

I'd agree, I don't think that's snobish at all.

r0tor

I love the evoque with the right options - but how the hell can you ever justify paying that much for something with a wheezy turbo 4 banger?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

I still nominate the jag xfr-s... Has more personality than its German counterparts
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

Evoque, whaaaa?  I have an SUV, one that actually fits more than a coupe.

I'll read up on the xfrs and maybe test drive.

FoMoJo

Is the Audi S7 out as well?  Seems quite impressive though a bit pricey.  Might be worth a test drive.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Lebowski

I think so yes. It's a bigger car, and gets pricey in s7 form.

I think the m3 is about the sweet spot as far as size, performance, and price/value.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Lebowski on May 15, 2014, 01:28:41 PM
I think so yes. It's a bigger car, and gets pricey in s7 form.

I think the m3 is about the sweet spot as far as size, performance, and price/value.
M3 it is then.  Maybe an S7 next time when you want a bit more comfort and luxury.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 15, 2014, 01:31:00 PM
M3 it is then.  Maybe an S7 next time when you want a bit more comfort and luxury.

I agree.  When he's older and balder than he is now, he should seriously consider an S7.  :lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

Given how long I keep my cars I'll be dazzleman's age when it's time to replace, so A7 would be perfect.

MrH

I saw a 435i M-sport in black on the highway yesterday.  That is one attractive vehicle.  It makes the S5 look old and boring.

Just like with the E90/92, I'd have a hard time taking the sedan over the coupe, just based on looks alone.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Lebowski

No way, sedan wins in both cases

10lb weight savings for the coupe. 10. I've taken shits that weigh more than 10lbs.  I just don't see what you gain for that big hit to practicality.

I've always felt 2 doors = 2 seats, hence the vette.  911 is an exception since it's rear "seats" are more a shelf for a rucksack.  A car the m3/m4's size should have 4 doors IMO.

GoCougs

4er doesn't look good IMO. Looks to big - almost 6er like.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Lebowski on May 15, 2014, 01:57:56 PM
No way, sedan wins in both cases

10lb weight savings for the coupe. 10. I've taken shits that weigh more than 10lbs.  I just don't see what you gain for that big hit to practicality.

I've always felt 2 doors = 2 seats, hence the vette.  911 is an exception since it's rear "seats" are more a shelf for a rucksack.  A car the m3/m4's size should have 4 doors IMO.

I fully agree with this logic. If I get it, I'll get the sedan again for sure. Plus as a bonus, independently of the above logic I think the sedan does look better for this gen.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Lebowski

I think the sedan looks better too, better proportioned IMO, but I thought the same of the e90/92 (except for the e90 tail lights).

FlatBlackCaddy

I've ALWAYS preferred the sedan when it comes to the M3, both visually and practically.

I'm also in the camp of 2 doors = 2 seats.

Raza

Quote from: MrH on May 15, 2014, 01:55:27 PM
I saw a 435i M-sport in black on the highway yesterday.  That is one attractive vehicle.  It makes the S5 look old and boring.

Just like with the E90/92, I'd have a hard time taking the sedan over the coupe, just based on looks alone.

You like the 4 series?  It looks so unwieldy and large.  Blech.  It's not significantly larger than 3 series (though it is longer and wider), but it's visually enormous.  That's exactly what I want.  I want a car that's bigger on the outside and smaller on the inside than its mechanically identical and less expensive counterpart.  And the front is so busy and that stupid vent pisses me off. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on May 15, 2014, 02:02:39 PM
4er doesn't look good IMO. Looks to big - almost 6er like.

I agree.  It's significantly smaller than the seldom seen current 6 series, but it looks as visually large as the last generation, which is also significantly longer, but not much wider. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

68_427

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 15, 2014, 11:29:58 AM
That engine was a monster, another great in the long line of inline 6 powerplants.

Still makes more torque than the m3. :)
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SJ_GTI

I love the way the 4 series (and A5) look, but after buying a 2 door GTI and constantly regretting it (should have got the 4 door) I doubt I would by a "2 door version of a sedan" again, particularly if there is a 4 door version available. Looks are important...but its not like the 3-series and A4 are turds...they are still really nice looking cars and its not unreasonable for some people to actually prefer them.

2o6

I don't understand how people have such a drastic opinion about the 4 series.

It looks just like the 3 series coupe of last year.

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on May 15, 2014, 02:57:20 PM
I don't understand how people have such a drastic opinion about the 4 series.

It looks just like the 3 series coupe of last year.

Uh, gotta see one in person. Looks nothing like the previous 3er coupe.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on May 15, 2014, 12:04:02 PM
I love the evoque with the right options - but how the hell can you ever justify paying that much for something with a wheezy turbo 4 banger?
What? Why would anyone want anything more than a 2.0T in their $60K car? Think of the fuel savings!

Back to the subject at hand though.... choice seems obvious. M3 sedan optioned well and in a subdued color. Maybe even with the 18s, though Orlando roads are pretty damn smooth.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on May 15, 2014, 05:16:33 PM
Uh, gotta see one in person. Looks nothing like the previous 3er coupe.

It has a more rakish roofline and a prettier face.

They don't really look that different from each other

12,000 RPM

Im not crazy about the 4 either. Coupes are supposed to be more aggressive and exciting. The non ///M coupes have been pretty blah from the E46 forward. I think the 3 coupe peaked with the E36 and the sedan peaked with the E90.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs