Lebowski's Next Car Thread, and Farewell to the C6

Started by Lebowski, May 14, 2014, 06:38:32 PM

Lebowski

So I sold the C6 the day before yesterday (Mon).  Hard to believe it's been over 8 years, you lot were very helpful to the process of picking it and then speccing it out.  I think I started my original new car thread in like November of 2005, looking at the 3-series, G, and A4 w/ the Corvette thrown in as a dark horse, and ended up taking delivery of my new C6 coupe in Bowling Green in Feb '06, w/ a few of you watching via webcam.  My dad flew up w/ me to pick it up and we had a great drive back.  I'm glad you guys helped talk me into the C6, without the goading I probably would have ended up with a boring silver G35.

I've mentioned here a few times I've been thinking about its eventual replacement.  This time last year I planned to trade it for a 991 at year end, I shelved those plans when I bought a new house last October, and honestly I'm glad I did.  I've thought about the C7 as well.  But I've been doing a little soul searching over the last few months, and have slowly come to the conclusion that while I still want my next car to be something fun, I also want it to be more useful - a four door with a bit more comfort/luxury.  And I don't want to worry as much about shit like scraping the low C6 front end on every horrible driveway bib in town.  So the C7 is out, as would be the 991 if I wanted to spend that much coin right now (I don't as I'm working my way through my list of projects on the house, including a new roof last month, replacing some older doors and windows is up next).

A few weeks ago, a good friend came over to go on the boat, and inquired if I would consider selling him my C6 ... timing was interesting as this was right after I started thinking more seriously about a change, and like a day or two after I started a dialogue w/ the internet sales dept at my local BMW dealership about the timeline for ordering an M3 (she didn't really have an answer).  My friend and I were on the same page as far as price, and selling to a friend takes a lot of the bite out of parting w/ something that does hold quite a bit of sentimental value for me ... we both agreed to think about it.  This past Monday morning he texted me asking if we could do a deal later that day, and in a stroke of bizarre timing I arrived at work a few minutes later to find our building blocked off by fire trucks.  Some moron two floors above mine started a fire with a toaster oven, and while there was little fire damage the sprinklers flooded part of the building, closing it down for repairs for the day.  So, an unexpected day off on the day I agreed to sell my car, what better time to go on some test drives.  Only downside to this happy coincidence is that my bank is in the same building - so I couldn't access the title in my safe deposit box (I transferred it to him earlier tonight).

My list is short.  BMW 335i, BMW M3, or Audi S4.  Monday I test drove the 335i and the S4 back to back, and while I liked both I preferred the 3-series.  So S4 is out.  I like it, it just felt smaller, more cramped, and more boy-racer ish, if that makes any sense. 

So it's basically down to the 335i (in m-sport guise, loaded) or an M3.  Obviously I can't test drive an M3 at this point but I don't really care, I liked the 335i enough and initial reviews have been positive so I can't really imagine not liking it, and there isn't really much else that appeals to me right now. 

I guess my main areas I want input (or, why I'm posting now vs. after I've placed an order) are:

- Considering the tradeoff between refinement/comfort and performance.  From a practical/rational point of view, 335i would better serve me, considering 95% of the driving I do is in traffic, in residential areas, or on the interstate.  I rarely had a chance to push the C6, so the extra performance seems moot.  I don't track my cars. On the other hand, I think if I got the 335i I'd always feel like I cheaped out and regret what could have been.  Adaptive suspension option should help daily driveability (and it should be better than the C6 in most if not all regards).  Plus if going purely by what best serves from a practical/rational point of view, we might as well all drive camcords and minivans.

- M3 is more expensive but ironically seems to me is the better value.  Price diff is about $12k as I'd configure them as of last time I played with the online configurator, ~$60k for a loaded 335i vs. low $70ks for a well equipped M3.  Seems like a lot more car for $12k, maybe a bit more depending what other boxes are ticked.

- I'll post the configurations I prefer, may want some opinions/input on colors/options etc.

- Is there anything else I just NEED to go test drive before pulling the trigger?  I've been incredibly busy lately, so I don't want to go test drive stuff just because.  Honestly, most of the competition - Q50, Lexus IS, anything Cadillac, C-class etc., just doesn't appeal to me.  A 5-series or A6 is too big.  C7 and 991 are too small, sure I'd love to test drive both out of curiosity but I feel like a sleaze bag test driving a car w/ no intent to buy.

As far as timeframe, I am flexible given I have the 4runner.  I am generally very picky WRT colors/options etc so even in the case of a 335i I most likely would have to special order is my guess, and I'm fine w/ that.  Gives me something to look forward to.  I'd like to make a decision and get something ordered in the next couple weeks. 

Laconian

Uninformed decision says go with the M3. You won't have regrets about what could've been, and I think you won't miss the extra money.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

68_427

M3 with euro delivery.  Save a few grand and drive your new m3 on the autobahn.

Too bad Caddy has been keeping the ATS V details such a secret.

Also don't settle on colors.  Go BMW individual.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

J86

ifcar

I know this is bigger than you're looking at, but I wonder if it would be worth at least test-driving a Tesla Model S. Especially because you have a second car, you might be a good candidate for electric, and so many people are really blown away with the performance/driving dynamics despite the exterior size.

Lebowski

Quote from: Laconian on May 14, 2014, 07:05:28 PM

Uninformed decision says go with the M3. You won't have regrets about what could've been, and I think you won't miss the extra money.

Kind of mirrors my thinking

Quote from: 68_427 on May 14, 2014, 07:13:16 PM

M3 with euro delivery.

Also don't settle on colors.  Go BMW individual.

I've heard about Euro delivery savings, how does that work?  Is it the sales tax you save? 

Dude individual color is like a $5k option isn't it?  I'll admit the color choices are a bit lacking, but I like both Alpine White and the Smurf Blue.  I like Silverstone too but not sure I could have two silver cars.

Quote from: J86 on May 14, 2014, 07:19:24 PM

335 and pour the extra money into a boat :lol:

Boat will probably be a YE bonus purchase, I don't think the diff between the 335i and M3 will really have any impact on it.

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 14, 2014, 07:31:02 PM

Beautiful car, but even if I was including 2-seaters I think it would be either C7 or 991, w/ the decision driven primarily by price.  I don't think I could bring myself to buying a jag. 

Quote from: ifcar on May 14, 2014, 07:37:45 PM

I know this is bigger than you're looking at, but I wonder if it would be worth at least test-driving a Tesla Model S. Especially because you have a second car, you might be a good candidate for electric, and so many people are really blown away with the performance/driving dynamics despite the exterior size.

That is a good idea, and one I had kicked around in the last few months but didn't really give it any consideration these last couple weeks.  I'll try to get a drive in one if I can, website shows a store in Orlando I'm not sure if it's open yet.  Don't think I'd actually buy one, but would test drive it w/ an open mind. 

Thanks for all the input.  Keep it coming. 

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SJ_GTI

I would go with the M3 for sure, if price isn't a barrier.

Would you be getting a 6-speed or automatic? If automatic, i wouldn't even consider a regular 3-series.

Quote from: Lebowski on May 14, 2014, 07:51:00 PM
I've heard about Euro delivery savings, how does that work?  Is it the sales tax?

Its way, way cheaper. I don't know why...but you will get a crazy good price. The "downside" is you do actually have to take delivery in Europe, but if you want the vacation it is a net savings versus not doing European delivery.

CJ

Laconian

Euro delivery is fun on a bun, so says my teammate. He took delivery of his 535xi a few months back. Tax savings make it basically cost neutral.

hotrodalex

Do they provide a way to ship it home or do you have to set that up yourself?

Lebowski

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 14, 2014, 08:04:12 PM

I would go with the M3 for sure, if price isn't a barrier.

Would you be getting a 6-speed or automatic? If automatic, i wouldn't even consider a regular 3-series.

Not certain yet, I figured if 335i I'd probably get the 8 speed slushy, but M3 I'd most likely get the manual.  The DSG in the M3 is a $2900 option, and I kind a wonder about a DSG being clunky around town ... or have they improved?  My boss had an E60 M5 w/ the DSG and hated it

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 14, 2014, 08:04:12 PM

Its way, way cheaper. I don't know why...but you will get a crazy good price. The "downside" is you do actually have to take delivery in Europe, but if you want the vacation it is a net savings versus not doing European delivery.

I'd heard it's cheaper but didn't realize it was significant.  Could be a cool option depending on timing.

Laconian

Tesla is an interesting suggestion, but I think that it might be good to savor the era of peak gasoline HP while it lasts. Electric cars will be the only choice soon enough, why hasten the future? :lol:

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MX793

Quote from: Lebowski on May 14, 2014, 08:13:05 PM
Not certain yet, I figured if 335i I'd probably get the 8 speed slushy, but M3 I'd most likely get the manual.  The DSG in the M3 is a $2900 option, and I kind a wonder about a DSG being clunky around town ... or have they improved?  My boss had an E60 M5 w/ the DSG and hated it

The E60 was using the old, single clutch SMG, not the newer DSG.  Haven't driven BMW's DSG, but I found Mitsu's to be about as smooth as an automatic.  The only DSGs I've heard complaints of clunkiness from are Ford's (which use dry clutches instead of wet).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Lebowski

Quote from: MX793 on May 14, 2014, 08:20:31 PM

The E60 was using the old, single clutch SMG, not the newer DSG.  Haven't driven BMW's DSG, but I found Mitsu's to be about as smooth as an automatic.  The only DSGs I've heard complaints of clunkiness from are Ford's (which use dry clutches instead of wet).

That's right, meant to say SMG.

Still, w/o a test drive I don't know.  And it's $2900.  And this could realistically be the last manual I ever own.

MexicoCityM3

Of course I hope you get the M3. Nothing is as practical AND as fun for the money.

I'd definitely pay the premium over the 335i. It's a different animal, even more so in the case of the sedan (the 4 series has a wider track than the 3 series among other things - while the M3 is mechanically identical to the M4)

Euro delivery is a no brainer. I have a friend in El Paso who has done it - twice. What you save on the car covers plane tickets and a bit more. And of course BMW arranges everything. You just drop it off at one of the available locations (there are a few) when you're done and about a month later it's at your local dealer for pickup.

I don't have to tell you about driving that car in European roads (and the ring!). Totally worth it.

I'd probably test a Jag XF-R. Here in Mex it costs the same as the M3. The M5 is much more expensive.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on May 14, 2014, 08:13:05 PM

I'd heard it's cheaper but didn't realize it was significant.  Could be a cool option depending on timing.

If I recall correctly, the E60 M5 had a single clutch ACT or "F1" style transmission, not a dual clutch.  Dual clutches have never been clunky. 

Of your choices, I think the M3 would be the least likely to feel not special coming off a C6.  It may not be a sports car, but it's certainly going to be something to behold.  Personally, if I were you, I'd buy an E92 M3 and modify it a bit.  Plenty of power, better looks, significantly less money. 

Something else to think about would be the Mustang.  Seriously, in GT form, it was E92 M3-esque performance for $40,000.  The new one is supposed to be even faster, I imagine.  Might not be the level of luxury you're looking for at the moment, but coming from the Corvette, it might not seem like anything of a downgrade. 

I think the 335i M Sport is out.  It just isn't going to feel special enough after the Corvette.  Even with the M Sport package, it's still just a regular 3 series sedan (with an automatic, even) in a generation lambasted for not being as sharp as the last. 

Have you thought about the M235i?  320 horsepower, 0-60 in 4.4 seconds.  Better looking than the 3 series, and I bet it won't feel too small. 

STI might be a dark horse, especially if you thought the elegantly aggressive S4 was too boy racerish. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 14, 2014, 08:51:33 PM

Of course I hope you get the M3. Nothing is as practical AND as fun for the money.

I'd definitely pay the premium over the 335i. It's a different animal, even more so in the case of the sedan (the 4 series has a wider track than the 3 series among other things - while the M3 is mechanically identical to the M4)

Euro delivery is a no brainer. I have a friend in El Paso who has done it - twice. What you save on the car covers plane tickets and a bit more. And of course BMW arranges everything. You just drop it off at one of the available locations (there are a few) when you're done and about a month later it's at your local dealer for pickup.

I don't have to tell you about driving that car in European roads (and the ring!). Totally worth it.

I'd probably test a Jag XF-R. Here in Mex it costs the same as the M3. The M5 is much more expensive.

That is helpful thanks.

Found a link on euro delivery that explains it a bit.  Apparently the savings are related to the bizarro dealer system we have in the US as opposed to taxes. 

https://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php/European_Delivery_101

This site has the savings, ~$4200 off base.  http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Explore/Experience/EuropeanDelivery/OrderYourBMW.aspx

Problem is this is a bitch of a year for me as far as scheduling stuff, at least right now.  I do have two round trip international first class upgrade vouchers that are use it or lose it for 2014, though. 

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on May 14, 2014, 08:57:53 PM

If I recall correctly, the E60 M5 had a single clutch ACT or "F1" style transmission, not a dual clutch.  Dual clutches have never been clunky. 

Of your choices, I think the M3 would be the least likely to feel not special coming off a C6.  It may not be a sports car, but it's certainly going to be something to behold.  Personally, if I were you, I'd buy an E92 M3 and modify it a bit.  Plenty of power, better looks, significantly less money. 

Something else to think about would be the Mustang.  Seriously, in GT form, it was E92 M3-esque performance for $40,000.  The new one is supposed to be even faster, I imagine.  Might not be the level of luxury you're looking for at the moment, but coming from the Corvette, it might not seem like anything of a downgrade. 

I think the 335i M Sport is out.  It just isn't going to feel special enough after the Corvette.  Even with the M Sport package, it's still just a regular 3 series sedan (with an automatic, even) in a generation lambasted for not being as sharp as the last. 

Have you thought about the M235i?  320 horsepower, 0-60 in 4.4 seconds.  Better looking than the 3 series, and I bet it won't feel too small. 

STI might be a dark horse, especially if you thought the elegantly aggressive S4 was too boy racerish. 

You're probably right on the 335i not feeling special enough.  I like it, but think I'd think I settled.

Definitely no to the mustang.  Nothing against the STI but not for me.  Modded E92 or E90 no, don't want to buy used and I generally don't mod cars.  And want 4 doors this time so no 235i, though I do like it.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Lebowski on May 14, 2014, 08:27:16 PM

That's right, meant to say SMG.

Still, w/o a test drive I don't know.  And it's $2900.  And this could realistically be the last manual I ever own.

I have driven the DCT on the current V8 M3. It is fantastic. Ultra fast yet smooth. It depends on whether you prefer the driver engagement of the manual. I'd probably get the manual again but the DCT is excellent.

One caveat though: on reviews of the new M3 there have been a few complaints about the DCT box being too aggressive in the sport mode and too lazy on the comfort mode.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

Def M3, SynthaSound and all. $10K to upgrade is literally nothing.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

68_427

Quote from: Lebowski on May 14, 2014, 07:51:00 PM
Kind of mirrors my thinking

I've heard about Euro delivery savings, how does that work?  Is it the sales tax you save? 

Dude individual color is like a $5k option isn't it?  I'll admit the color choices are a bit lacking, but I like both Alpine White and the Smurf Blue.  I like Silverstone too but not sure I could have two silver cars.

Boat will probably be a YE bonus purchase, I don't think the diff between the 335i and M3 will really have any impact on it.

Beautiful car, but even if I was including 2-seaters I think it would be either C7 or 991, w/ the decision driven primarily by price.  I don't think I could bring myself to buying a jag. 

That is a good idea, and one I had kicked around in the last few months but didn't really give it any consideration these last couple weeks.  I'll try to get a drive in one if I can, website shows a store in Orlando I'm not sure if it's open yet.  Don't think I'd actually buy one, but would test drive it w/ an open mind. 

Thanks for all the input.  Keep it coming. 

I think you save on tax and something else.  From what I understand all you have to cover is airfare.

Also Silverstone is an amazing color.  It's the only standard color I would consider buying.  Perfect amount of green and blue in that color.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

GoCougs

3er in any guise is quite plebeian given this is Lebowski so I am a fair amount disappoint if I'm a honest...

That said, I'd have to drive the F30 M3. For me the E90 M3 would be a no-brainer with all that V8 charisma. I couldn't care less how much better the F30 M3 is, it ain't gonna have that.

For the poser+ class, I'd be in an S4 no question, or just maybe, the q50 Eau Rouge.

mzziaz

If I were you, I'd also get the M3 over the 335i - even if you don't need the extra performance. It is just such an icon of a car. Also, I suppose the residuals will offset the initial $12k hit a bit.

Tesla is a cool alternative. I have a college who's bought it, and he has lost interest in all other cars.

Too bad all domestic cars are out (because image?). They do have a lot of interesting stuff in this segment, with great generally great value propositions.

If you aren't in a hurry, you could consider waiting for the Jaguar XE which debuts next year. All aluminum chassis and the Jaguar luxurious interior could amount to a pretty nice package.
Cuore Sportivo

MrH

I would recommend a test drive of a Model S.  Very few people who have the means to buy the car buy anything else after a test drive.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Dat range doe... especially in hot ass Florida

Worth a test drive nonetheless.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs