MrH's Next Potential Car Discussion

Started by MrH, May 18, 2014, 07:12:07 PM

MrH

Ahoy everyone.

I've talked about this ad naseum in the chat thread, so I thought I'd start a thread for those who don't visit the chat thread.

So right now, I've got the BRZ and the Element.  Basically, I like what the Element does (crazy versatility, great AWD traction in the winter, great for camping and small off-roadin adventures).  Seems like my needs in a vehicle have change drastically lately.  I don't have time to go camping as much as I'd like.  I'm not playing ultimate frisbee right now.  But I use it a ton to just commute to work and I've been going on long road trips damn near every weekend.  And that's where it falls apart.  Driving dynamics are pretty piss poor and it doesn't ride well.

The straw that broke the camel's back was a trip to Memphis a few months ago.  Trying to maintain 75-85 mph through the mountains of Tennessee in that thing with 3 other people + luggage:  it was rough.  Constantly kicking down two gears and had trouble passing.

So, here I am.  I got a killer deal on it originally, so it was a cheap experiment that got me through one of the worst winters Ohio has ever seen.  :lol:

Option 1:
-Sell Element
-Keep BRZ
-Get slightly used (or leftover demo 2013) Hyundai Genesis R-Spec

Option 2:
-Sell Element
-Sell BRZ
-Get a new 2015 STI

Option 3:
-Sell Element
-Sell BRZ
-Get a single car of some sort
-Consider new miata when it comes out to go with it?

Just throwing some ideas around.  Let's hear some wildcard things I need to test drive.  So far, I've got a Mini Countryman S and Jaguar XJL on the list  :mask:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

ifcar

I'd say keep the BRZ whatever you do until you see what the new Miata is like. That way you have a car that's ripe for trade-in if the Mazda wins you over.

If you go the Genesis route, are you considering the V6 as well? Plenty powerful, much better mileage, presumably cheaper and easier to find.

MrH

Quote from: ifcar on May 18, 2014, 07:16:38 PM
I'd say keep the BRZ whatever you do until you see what the new Miata is like. That way you have a car that's ripe for trade-in if the Mazda wins you over.

If you go the Genesis route, are you considering the V6 as well? Plenty powerful, much better mileage, presumably cheaper and easier to find.

It's paid off, and has retained it's value really well.  I know a car who wants one for a track toy, so he'd value the wheels/tires/suspension I have on it.  I could just mitigate some more potential depreciation if I went to one car until the new miata debuted.  Just a thought.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Rupert

The V6 isn't excessive, though, and that's the point. Also, boo-hoo your toaster had to downshift in the hills! :P

I say sell Element, buy that cool old Merc and a 15 year old 5-series.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MrH

Quote from: Rupert on May 18, 2014, 07:25:31 PM
The V6 isn't excessive, though, and that's the point. Also, boo-hoo your toaster had to downshift in the hills! :P

I say sell Element, buy that cool old Merc and a 15 year old 5-series.

You have just offered a solution to none of my problems :lol:  Then I have two vehicles that are unreliable commuter cars.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Rupert

You have the money to make them reliable.

Fine, sell Element, buy Merc and 964. Pre-991 air-cooled Porsches are hells of reliable. Then make the Merc reliable enough for road trips. There, problems created and solved!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rupert on May 18, 2014, 07:39:15 PM
You have the money to make them reliable.

Fine, sell Element, buy Merc and 964. Pre-991 air-cooled Porsches are hells of reliable. Then make the Merc reliable enough for road trips. There, problems created and solved!
I'm liking this idea. 964 would basically be an investment now too.

I'm surprised selling the BRZ is an option. I feel like you just got it. In any case, seems like the main considerations are AWD, fun to drive, and road trip friendly. STI is perfect aside from the last one.... I'd look at something like a 335xi (available in 6 speed) or an S4 V6T. Good for commuting/travelling, fun to drive, grown up-ish.... can't think of any other combo, aside from a sports car and a regularish Subaru.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

93JC

cawimmer430

Was there an AWD option for the 1974 Dodge Monaco?  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

What about a small or midsize SUV? Something like a used BMW X3? You can get a stick with them - at least in Europe, not sure about America.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

I think the day you get rid of the element, you're going to miss its cargo capabilities.  I think its also better to have two cars than one so you always have a back up if one car has an unexpected problem (assuming the insurance costs aren't that much of a big deal for you).

I'd keep the BRZ (unless you're bored with it) and get a more powerful winter capable wagon or van/SUV.  A used Awd ford flex may be good and probably could get a good deal.  A used honda pilot is another thought.

ifcar

^That's a pretty good suggestion -- there are a lot of roomy crossovers with a heck of a lot more luxury than the Element. You wouldn't even need to go as big as the Flex.

MrH

I'm not sure I'm sold on the idea of driving an SUV daily.  I'm not a big fan of the vertical seating position.  A big sedan might be the better fit.

Any suggestions for SUVs?  Used Cayenne? :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

veeman

You could get a new mainstreamer for the cost of a used cayenne (if we're talking about the "S" version).  I'd dig a Cayenne S but it's a whole different level in terms of cost to maintain that thing.  Maybe for you not; I don't know - you might have access to cheap/free labor or could do some of it yourself.  Just to replace tires has gotta be > 2 grand.

Lebowski

It's hard to say. Seems like you just got both of them and I'm not generally a fan of trading cars like baseball cards, it's a waste of time and money IMO.

I think first off you need to decide if you want one or two cars.  Owning two cars is a bit of a pain in the ass (more expensive to own and insure, takes up more space, more of a pain to keep them both clean and maintained etc). But it gets around some of the compromises of individual cars - you can't get minivan utility and 911 driving dynamics out of one car and that's why people like you and me own 2 cars.

I think you'll miss the space/utility of the element if you get rid of it for a sedan. Having had the 4runner a few years now, I wouldn't want to go without it.  It's slow and has crappy driving dynamics but that doesn't really bother me, is what it is. 

If the driving dynamics of the element bother you, why don't you drive the BRZ more when it's just you, like on your commute?

On the trip to TN, did none of your 3 friends have a vehicle that would be better suited to the task that you could have taken?  If the element was the best able to haul the 4 of you plus luggage of the cars you all own, IMO I'd just deal with the downsides like crappy passing performance. I doubt it detracted from the fun of the trip much.

If I were you I'd prob just keep what you have.  Or, trade the element for a vehicle w/ similar utility (small SUV, Tacoma, wagon etc).

MexicoCityM3

A few questions:

How much are you looking to spend beyond the value of your current cars?
Your cars are paid for already?
Do you track/autocross the BRZ? Is that capability important to you?

I agree with Lebowski that I wouldn't sell the BRZ, too new and a great car still. It seems to me that you are a bit excited about the new STI and are looking to justify that. It can't be rationally justified, if you want it and can afford it, just get it.

I can't possibly imagine taking a new STI over a CPO E90 M3 for an only car, but that's me.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza  on May 19, 2014, 10:18:04 AM
How about a used RS4?

Or this. Not as good as the M3 (of course) but still better than the STI. And it has 4WD which you seem to want bad  :huh:.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MrH

Quote from: Lebowski on May 19, 2014, 09:30:33 AM
It's hard to say. Seems like you just got both of them and I'm not generally a fan of trading cars like baseball cards, it's a waste of time and money IMO.

I think first off you need to decide if you want one or two cars.  Owning two cars is a bit of a pain in the ass (more expensive to own and insure, takes up more space, more of a pain to keep them both clean and maintained etc). But it gets around some of the compromises of individual cars - you can't get minivan utility and 911 driving dynamics out of one car and that's why people like you and me own 2 cars.

I think you'll miss the space/utility of the element if you get rid of it for a sedan. Having had the 4runner a few years now, I wouldn't want to go without it.  It's slow and has crappy driving dynamics but that doesn't really bother me, is what it is. 

If the driving dynamics of the element bother you, why don't you drive the BRZ more when it's just you, like on your commute?

On the trip to TN, did none of your 3 friends have a vehicle that would be better suited to the task that you could have taken?  If the element was the best able to haul the 4 of you plus luggage of the cars you all own, IMO I'd just deal with the downsides like crappy passing performance. I doubt it detracted from the fun of the trip much.

If I were you I'd prob just keep what you have.  Or, trade the element for a vehicle w/ similar utility (small SUV, Tacoma, wagon etc).

I do drive the BRZ a lot to work.  But if the weather is crap or I'm feeling lazy, I take the Element.  I don't have dogs like you, so I don't use the utility of the Element as much as I thought I would.  Long distance driving is much more common for me.

I think it's the Element's lack of power & comfort that is the killer.  That was brutal to drive for 8+ hours.  Honestly, my BRZ on coilovers is more comfortable (less noise, rides better on relatively smooth roads, much better power, longer range).

I plan on keeping the BRZ for the most part.  Dynamically, nothing out there can really touch it right now.  The STI supposedly is nearly 911 esque in its dynamics.  That's the only reason I'm considering it.  If it completely embarrasses the BRZ, then I'd be tempted.  I need to drive one to see if it's too extreme for daily driving.

Quote from: veeman on May 19, 2014, 07:14:12 AM
I think the day you get rid of the element, you're going to miss its cargo capabilities.  I think its also better to have two cars than one so you always have a back up if one car has an unexpected problem (assuming the insurance costs aren't that much of a big deal for you).

I'd keep the BRZ (unless you're bored with it) and get a more powerful winter capable wagon or van/SUV.  A used Awd ford flex may be good and probably could get a good deal.  A used honda pilot is another thought.

Not a bad idea with the Flex.  Not sure if I'd want to commute in that though.

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 19, 2014, 10:10:44 AM
A few questions:

How much are you looking to spend beyond the value of your current cars?
Your cars are paid for already?
Do you track/autocross the BRZ? Is that capability important to you?

I agree with Lebowski that I wouldn't sell the BRZ, too new and a great car still. It seems to me that you are a bit excited about the new STI and are looking to justify that. It can't be rationally justified, if you want it and can afford it, just get it.

I can't possibly imagine taking a new STI over a CPO E90 M3 for an only car, but that's me.

BRZ is paid for.  Element isn't.  Looking to spend around $10k over my current vehicle value.  Track work as an option would be nice, but not necessary.

The STI is about the only car I'd dump the BRZ for at this point I think.  I do miss top down driving a lot, so the new Miata in a few years might tempt me.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MrH

CTS-V wagon is too expensive and impossible to find with a stick.  I would have to sell the BRZ to get one, and I don't want that as my only car.

Quote from: Laconian on May 19, 2014, 11:03:09 AM
Sports wagon?

TSX sports wagon? 
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

We've got a nice manual Juke SL on our lot about 100 miles north of you

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on May 19, 2014, 11:18:56 AM
CTS-V wagon is too expensive and impossible to find with a stick.  I would have to sell the BRZ to get one, and I don't want that as my only car.

TSX sports wagon? 

Well, that's an example of one. It's a great car if you're OK with "zippy" and not "fast".

Lebowski

IMO keep the brz and upgrade the element to a used wagon of some kind, I guess.  IIRC a lot of people were skeptical of the element in the first place.

Laconian

Too bad you're thinking of ditching the Element; it was such a great canvas for bro decals.

68_427

I think knowing your budget the r spec is still the way to go initially.  Just way more car than anything else for the price.  Too bad the warranty is non transferable though.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no