MrH's Next Potential Car Discussion

Started by MrH, May 18, 2014, 07:12:07 PM

ifcar

Quote from: MrH on May 20, 2014, 03:41:32 PM
Might be a bit too small, but an interesting choice.  Worth a test drive I think.

If you look at the XV, look at the regular Impreza hatchback. If you don't need the extra ground clearance, you get better handling, better fuel economy and a lower price.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

68_427

A brand new Forester XT can be had under 30K.  CVT though.

Could do without the 2o6 spec rims.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 20, 2014, 06:25:11 PM
Genesis will suck in the winter and suck for hauling friends and things.

If you can do 2 cars it's always nice to have one that's heavier on utility.

I still vote for the Forester XT. Good for those miserable midwestern winters, roomy enough to haul stuff, nimble and quick enough to enjoy driving. Genesis sedan is an old man's car. I feel like you will grow bored with it very quickly.

Have you driven one?  It's like a poor man's M5.  Serious power and luxury.  It looks pretty hokey in pictures, but when you sit in the car, it's substantially a step up from all the mainstreamers out there.  And it would be awesome for hauling friends!  It's got a huge back seat, very comfortable, quiet, and fast.

Older Forester XTs don't do much for me.  They're strange cars.  My friend has one that I've driven a few times.

Not luxurious or big enough for me I don't think.  Back seat room and trunk are not that big.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

hotrodalex

El Camino is the obvious answer here.

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on May 20, 2014, 06:29:03 PM
XT does seem to make sense.

You mean Forester XT, right?

Quote from: 68_427 on May 20, 2014, 06:39:24 PM
A brand new Forester XT can be had under 30K.  CVT though.

Could do without the 2o6 spec rims.

That looks good :mask:

The new Forester's have massive back seat space.  They're a lot nicer than the old ones.  I'd have to drive the CVT to see how I like it, but I've hated every CVT I've tried.  But then again, I've always driven CVTs paired to gutless engines.  Maybe the turbo would be a big step up?  AWD would be handy in the winter too...

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

I haven't driven the Genesis but I've sat in a few at car shows. I imagine it handling pretty ponderously- I have driven a lot of Hyundai's current mainstreamers and I have zero faith in their suspension tuning.

I can definitely understand wanting something more luxurious than the Forester. Interior is pretty abysmal and I bet NVH is not far behind.

Curveball.... Saab wagon?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 26, 2014, 02:17:37 PM
I haven't driven the Genesis but I've sat in a few at car shows. I imagine it handling pretty ponderously- I have driven a lot of Hyundai's current mainstreamers and I have zero faith in their suspension tuning.

I can definitely understand wanting something more luxurious than the Forester. Interior is pretty abysmal and I bet NVH is not far behind.

Curveball.... Saab wagon?

It's not that bad honestly.  It's not a miata, but it hustles ok for as large as it is.  I'd say it's substantially better than other Hyundais I've driven.  Of course, if I don't like it, I can get something made up pretty easily.  My coworker wants to make a custom airbag setup for it if I get one :lol:

No way on the Saab wagon.  Parts are impossible to find now, they weren't reliable to begin with, and save for a few models, weren't particular great to drive.  Quirky is about all they've got going for them IMO.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

Ha yea I forgot where you work. Not a problem I guess. You guys should do something for my dad's M45. Overdamped and undersprung. Chops over bumps but heaves into corners. A real mess

I'm saving up my pennies for PSS9s........

Literally the only coilovers for my car with spring rates that make sense. They are not giving them away though.........

AutobahnSHO

BMW wagon, then spend time building it to M spec
Will

r0tor

Yay, lets take a snow capable XT and lower the shit out of it so it gets stuck in a 4" storm...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

68_427

Quote from: r0tor on May 26, 2014, 06:13:32 PM
Yay, lets take a snow capable XT and lower the shit out of it so it gets stuck in a 4" storm...

Nah.  That'll plow snow for days before it gets stuck
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

V6 auto SUV for more than a 430hp sedan...
'racecar is die'
no

hotrodalex

MrH

Not a big fan of those Cayenne's.  The interior looks like it's from the early 90's.  Really cramped back seat too.

I think I found something you guys will fully approve of :mask:

So, the guy who runs the biggest subaru tuner in the midwest (but they do BMWs and Porsches now too oddly) is selling this car.  It was his wife's DD.  This is the same guys who set the height and aligned my BRZ.

07 328xi
113k miles
6MT manual
Sport package
VMR 713 wheels 18x8.5 and 18x9.5
M tech replica front bumper
Custom muffler delete
H&R Sport Springs
Koni sport dampers
M Sport Steering Wheel
M Sport Shift Knob
Navifation
Ipod Integration
LED halo bulbs
Upgraded HID's

Maintenance performed
New spark plugs
New coil packs
New water pump
New thermostat
New front control arms
New front top hats
All fluids swapped

Asking $14k :mask:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 26, 2014, 07:43:43 PM
xi, would not hit
But Ohio

I kind of like it but at the same time it's kind of boring/generic.

MrH

Guys, it's a manual, AWD, 3-series wagon.  That's tough as hell to find.  I'd prefer the AWD version for winter duty than RWD.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

hotrodalex

I dig it. Lots of room for bro stickers.

2o6

Why the hell do you need AWD down here?

CJ

And cue VANOS troubles in 3...2...1...

AutobahnSHO

Will

Raza

Quote from: MrH on May 26, 2014, 08:00:27 PM
Guys, it's a manual, AWD, 3-series wagon.  That's tough as hell to find.  I'd prefer the AWD version for winter duty than RWD.

Get it. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on May 26, 2014, 08:23:04 PM
Get it. 

+1

Sell the element, you can then alternate between BRZEE and the wagon..
Will

68_427

I say buy it.  If you start to get tired of it there will still be R-Specs around.
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Northlands

Looks nice. I love wagons so my interest is already piqued. But a 7 yr old ( practically 8 ) entry level luxury car as a DD? It would give me some pause. My perspective may be skewed with living in harsher conditions though.. so wear and tear factor may not be the same.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS