Winter Wheels/Tires

Started by Catman, November 27, 2005, 05:04:46 PM

Catman

When I got my 2002 Sequoia it came with the standard steel wheels.  I replaced them with the SR5 alloys that I bought off of Ebay.  When I traded the SR5 in I kept the steel wheels, which are still brand new.  They're ugly but I'm going to get some snow tires for them.

Forward traction isn't much of a problem with my 4WD even with the all season tires.  However, stopping and turning should ba alot better with snow tires.  In addition I can save the finish on my alloys and get more time out of both sets.  Here's the Michelin snow tires I'm considering.

Run Away

Are studded tires allowed in your area?

Catman

QuoteAre studded tires allowed in your area?
Certain times of the year but I think that would be overkill.  I'm also considering the Blizzaks though I've had better luck with Michelin.

Run Away

I don't have any experience with those winter tires, so I can't help you if you're looking for recomendations.
I've found that the winter tires on our van don't make that big of a difference, but I have no idea if they're quality tires or not.

MaxPower

steel wheels aren't pretty, but hell, this time of year in New England it seems half the cars on the road are wearing them.  Atleast they're not the black steel ones. :)  

giant_mtb

QuoteAre studded tires allowed in your area?
Certain times of the year but I think that would be overkill.  I'm also considering the Blizzaks though I've had better luck with Michelin.

We have Blizzaks on the Grand Marquis for the winter...they're extremely good.  I drove it in some slippery conditions while the summer tires were still on it not too long ago...man I was sliding all over the place and the TCS kept kickin' in every 5 seconds.  Then we got the Blizzaks put on...the TCS only kicked in once, ABS was only used once (bad judgement of braking distance on my part) and I could actually take corners with normal pavement speed...

I'm sure they'd work even better with the 4WD on the Yota.

Catman

I like the Brigestones as they're a bit more aggressive.

But I'm partial to the Michelins and they're a bit cheaper at $115 compared to $124 for the Blizzaks.

giant_mtb

I'm sure you'd be satisfied with either one...  

Catman

QuoteI'm sure you'd be satisfied with either one...
Yeah, both tires have great reviews.  I guess I'll just go with price for this purchase.  Either way I think I'll be pleased.  Thanks guys. :praise:  

JYODER240

To be honest I think it would be overkill.  I assume your all-seasons have a fairly aggressive tread design.  I've driven all winter w/ summer only tires, I wouldnt recommend it and I wouldnt do it again but I made it through just fine. I now run stock all-season Bridgestone Turanzas in the winter and they are just fine.  I wouldnt worry about the finish on your alluminum wheels either. My parents have run chrome wheels year round and as long as they go through the car wash every 2-3 days they are fine.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Catman

QuoteTo be honest I think it would be overkill.  I assume your all-seasons have a fairly aggressive tread design.  I've driven all winter w/ summer only tires, I wouldnt recommend it and I wouldnt do it again but I made it through just fine. I now run stock all-season Bridgestone Turanzas in the winter and they are just fine.  I wouldnt worry about the finish on your alluminum wheels either. My parents have run chrome wheels year round and as long as they go through the car wash every 2-3 days they are fine.
My all seasons are just about worn outamd have a crappy tread design to begin with.  Getting winter tires now and all seasons in the spring would extend the life of both significantly in addition to better performance on the ice.  

Pancor

Michelin and bridgestone take advantage of the fact they are more well known and charge way too much for their snow tires.  I won't say the DZ3 and Latitude X-Ice are bad tires, but they are definately overpriced.   I would lean more towards the Dunlop Grandtrek SJ6, Pirelli Scorpion Ice, or Yokohama Geolandar I/T+, all of which are cheaper...

Catman

QuoteMichelin and bridgestone take advantage of the fact they are more well known and charge way too much for their snow tires.  I won't say the DZ3 and Latitude X-Ice are bad tires, but they are definately overpriced.   I would lean more towards the Dunlop Grandtrek SJ6, Pirelli Scorpion Ice, or Yokohama Geolandar I/T+, all of which are cheaper...
I'll check them out. ;)

*Edit* Only the Dunlops are cheaper, if you can find them. :(  

JYODER240

Slightly off topic but I just got  two 285/35/18 Pirelli Rosso & two 255/40/18 Pirelli Rosso tires with  8/32 of tread left for free today. I'll probably sell them on ebay and make some good $. :rockon:  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

crv16

I just bought some cheapo snows at Sams club.  I tried them out in the snow last week and was amazed at the difference over my Michelin all season tires.

They were around $46 each for 185/65/15.  Probably close to 80 for your size.

http://www.epinions.com/auto-Tires-All-Dis...isplay_~reviews

It's been a looong time since I've had snow tires.  Last time I bought snows was around 20 years ago.  I put them on and took them off a few weeks later, because highway stability was awful.  Those tires followed every groove in the road.

The ones at Sams don't exhibit any of that bad behavior.  Tracking is as just about as good as my regular tires.  They are quite a bit louder though.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

Catman

After looking around I called Costco.  The only ones they can get for my truck are the Michelin Latitude X-Ice like the ones above.  $129 includes shipping, mounting and balancing per tire.  Tire Rack is $115 per tire plus about $60 for shipping, then I have to pay for mounting and balancing.  Costco total is $516.  Tire Rack would be about $560 when all is said and done.  Guess I'll be going to Costco.

280Z Turbo

Sounds like you've already made a decision, but did you look at Yokohama Geolandar I/Ts?

Yokohama makes excellent tires that are still affordable.

Although, we've never used snow tires, so I know very little about them. Here in Michigan we don't need them.

Catman

The Yokos didn't offer any price advantage and it was easier to just go to Costco.  They only had the Michelins in the size I needed, which was fine since they were first on my list anyway.  They'll be in on Tomorrow.  Hopefully I'll have them on tomorrow night.

Last time I checked it snows in Michigan.

giant_mtb

All-seasons do just fine in the winter if you've got FWD, TCS'd RWD, or A/4WD.

Catman

QuoteAll-seasons do just fine in the winter if you've got FWD, TCS'd RWD, or A/4WD.
All-Season tires are inferior to dedicated snow tires.  Yes, with 4wd I can get going fine but stopping and turning are a different matter.  Here's a common sense write-up: Link

Run Away

Common sense isn't so common. I had a friend who though his Dakota would stop better in snow because of 4WD...
I just said "Why would 4WD help in braking? You still have 4 brakes all limited by the tires grip"

He just said "......I never thought of that."

Really smart kid too, academically.

J86

Hey Catman do you guys put winter tires on the cruisers?

giant_mtb

QuoteAll-seasons do just fine in the winter if you've got FWD, TCS'd RWD, or A/4WD.
All-Season tires are inferior to dedicated snow tires.  Yes, with 4wd I can get going fine but stopping and turning are a different matter.  Here's a common sense write-up: Link
I see plenty of cars do just fine with all seasons.  On our old Windstar we used all-seasons, never had troubles.  Going into the ditch is a common thing here, we think nothing of it, really, unless there's major damage.  Just another day of driving, really.

Catman

QuoteHey Catman do you guys put winter tires on the cruisers?
We do.  Unfortunately, they're the shit Goodyears that are on the state bid list.  We only put them on the rear.  If it were up to me we'd be putting four Blizzaks on.  Unfortunately, the bean counters make those decisions and they don't have to drive them.  If it were up to me (maybe some day) I'll spend the extra money.

Catman

Oooo, almost forgot, I got the Michelins on today.  Ride nice.  I'll have some pics soon.

giant_mtb

We do.  Unfortunately, they're the shit Goodyears that are on the state bid list.  We only put them on the rear.  If it were up to me we'd be putting four Blizzaks on.  Unfortunately, the bean counters make those decisions and they don't have to drive them.  If it were up to me (maybe some day) I'll spend the extra money.
The cops around here get winter tires and I remember one time we had to push a cop out of our driveway (it's uphill towards the road) because she couldn't get any traction backing out.  She said it was because of the change to digital radios, there wasn't any huge weight in the back anymore...  :blink:  :D  

Catman

The cops around here get winter tires and I remember one time we had to push a cop out of our driveway (it's uphill towards the road) because she couldn't get any traction backing out.  She said it was because of the change to digital radios, there wasn't any huge weight in the back anymore...  :blink:  :D
We put sand bags in the back to add weight.  Makes a huge difference.

giant_mtb

We put sand bags in the back to add weight.  Makes a huge difference.
Apparently our PD didn't consider that...or maybe just this particular woman didn't.  :P  :D  

SVT666

I wish I had seen this topic before you bought the tires.  The BFGoodrich A/T's get amazing snow traction and you only need the one set of tires.  I had them on my last truck and the cornering and stopping traction was extremely impressive...a lot better then the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S I have on my Ram.  As soon as these tires are done I'm getting the BFG's again.  

On my Mustang I used Hankook W401's and I was extremely impressed with them.  They were half the cost of the Blizzaks and I actually got better traction with the Hankooks.  I believe the Blizzaks are overrated and most definitely over priced.

Catman

QuoteI wish I had seen this topic before you bought the tires.  The BFGoodrich A/T's get amazing snow traction and you only need the one set of tires.  I had them on my last truck and the cornering and stopping traction was extremely impressive...a lot better then the Goodyear Wrangler AT/S I have on my Ram.  As soon as these tires are done I'm getting the BFG's again.  

On my Mustang I used Hankook W401's and I was extremely impressed with them.  They were half the cost of the Blizzaks and I actually got better traction with the Hankooks.  I believe the Blizzaks are overrated and most definitely over priced.
NP, I'll be getting another set in the spring anyway.  I like the idea of taking the nice rims off for the Winter and having a dedicated snow tire available.  Besides, I'll get twice the life out of both sets now. ;)