Cummins vs. Powerstroke vs. Duramax

Started by SaltyDog, November 28, 2005, 02:32:05 PM

footoflead

QuoteI actually love the sound of  a pre-'03 cummins. It sounds like a semi truck, though its volume might get obnoxious after a little time.
What gets annoying are the guys with like straight pipe 8inch exhast that dumps out right in front of the back wheel....i love the huge turbo whine..but the exhast is louder that a harley at full throttle...and the smoke is extremely annoying...needless to say...i know at least 4 in my small town... <_<  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

QuoteI actually love the sound of  a pre-'03 cummins. It sounds like a semi truck, though its volume might get obnoxious after a little time.
What gets annoying are the guys with like straight pipe 8inch exhast that dumps out right in front of the back wheel....i love the huge turbo whine..but the exhast is louder that a harley at full throttle...and the smoke is extremely annoying...needless to say...i know at least 4 in my small town... <_<
I like everything you just said you disliked. ^_^

footoflead

QuoteI actually love the sound of  a pre-'03 cummins. It sounds like a semi truck, though its volume might get obnoxious after a little time.
I'm not sure you understand how friggin loud these trucks are...i can hear them a mile away...and since my ears are vital to playing/singing on pitch they bother me a little, plus i can hear them a mile away <_<

i love turbo whine...but an exhast tone that is loud enough to cause pain is way too much

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

I'm not sure you understand how friggin loud these trucks are...i can hear them a mile away...and since my ears are vital to playing/singing on pitch they bother me a little, plus i can hear them a mile away <_<

i love turbo whine...but an exhast tone that is loud enough to cause pain is way too much
Well I guess if it causes pain, yes, it's a little overboard, but I tend to like those loud diesel truck exhaust pipes.

footoflead

Yeah i do to..but i would hate to drive a loud one around all the time

I want to put dual exhast on the truck...its already got a decent exhast note FROM THE FACTORY :rockon: ...and i think the mustang would sound a little better with dual's as well....now for the money issue :angry: <_<

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raza

Whenever I hear a truck/SUV before I can see it, I want to pull a gun out and shoot the driver in the face with it.  I'd have plenty of time to set up, too.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

footoflead

QuoteWhenever I hear a truck/SUV before I can see it, I want to pull a gun out and shoot the driver in the face with it.  I'd have plenty of time to set up, too.
:lol: ...my thoughts exactly :praise:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Secret Chimp

Bah... there's a big old red Dodge Ramcharger up here that sounds goood.
The Vanagon with the awful exhaust leak, that's what I had a problem with.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

280Z Turbo

QuoteWhenever I hear a truck/SUV before I can see it, I want to pull a gun out and shoot the driver in the face with it.  I'd have plenty of time to set up, too.
The quality is almost as bad as the quantity. Never a nice smooth rumble, always a coarse "FOO BLAP FOO BLAP FOO BLAP".

Raza

QuoteWhenever I hear a truck/SUV before I can see it, I want to pull a gun out and shoot the driver in the face with it.  I'd have plenty of time to set up, too.
The quality is almost as bad as the quantity. Never a nice smooth rumble, always a coarse "FOO BLAP FOO BLAP FOO BLAP".
Exactly.  

Trucks in general irk me.  I mean, I get people who use them, but how many housewives need fucking Excursions with exhausts?  I like things small and quick and nimble, not large and slow and clumsy.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tom

QuoteWhenever I hear a truck/SUV before I can see it, I want to pull a gun out and shoot the driver in the face with it.  I'd have plenty of time to set up, too.
Exactly.  

Trucks in general irk me.  I mean, I get people who use them, but how many housewives need fucking Excursions with exhausts?  I like things small and quick and nimble, not large and slow and clumsy.
I think people are embarrased to drive minivans, which are perfect for parents.  So instead they go for SUVs, the enviroment-hurting jackasses.

Raza

Exactly.  

I think people are embarrased to drive minivans, which are perfect for parents.  So instead they go for SUVs, the enviroment-hurting jackasses.
I don't really care about the environment, but onroad SUVs are just pointless.  Wagons do a more efficient job of hauling, and often result in a only a minor loss of cargo space, if any.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tom

Exactly.  

I don't really care about the environment,
That attitude burns my biscuits, but I guess I can let it go.

Secret Chimp

QuoteWhenever I hear a truck/SUV before I can see it, I want to pull a gun out and shoot the driver in the face with it.? I'd have plenty of time to set up, too.
Exactly.  

Hey, at least his look-at-me-mobile has a small powerplant.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

93JC

QuoteI mean, I get people who use them, but how many housewives need fucking Excursions with exhausts?
Same reason you're driving a Passat and not a Cavalier.

You have the means.

SargeMonkey

They only smoke if the person maintaining the trucks retarded, keep all the filters clean, good clean oil, and good glow thing-ys and the damn thing won't smoke. Also if it doesn't get to cold and you can get your local BK's and micdonadls to give up fryer oil run bio-deisel. It'll smell like french fries when running. Something like 28 cents a gallon when you make it your self, you'll need a reactor, pre-made are around $1500 but we spend that much on Gas every year for our truck. I'd run a Bio-truck but it gets around 13 in the winter so the stuff would gel up like cold gravy. <_<

Tax breaks when you run the stuff too, don't know how much but $0.28 vs $2.55 you choose.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

Tom

The average person isn't capable of making biodiesel.  I'm not sure where you got the $.28, but to buy pre-made stuff it's like 5 bucks, atleast where I live.  Making it is difficult but I guess it could be cheap if you know what you're doing.  Stations that sell it are rare.  If you want to run straight veg oil(from Micdonalds or wherever) it is certainly possible but requires a little bit of engine modification.  Worth it imo, but not recommended with a stock diesel engine.

Raza

Exactly.  

I'm not slash and burning, but I'm not an activist.  I think of the environment in a financial way--that is, it's in our best interest economically to take care of the environment.

And "burns my biscuits" is my line!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Exactly.  

Hey, at least his look-at-me-mobile has a small powerplant.
The Passat is a "look-at-me" car now?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tom

Exactly.  

I'm not slash and burning, but I'm not an activist.  I think of the environment in a financial way--that is, it's in our best interest economically to take care of the environment.

Hehe, burnt :P

Raza

QuoteI mean, I get people who use them, but how many housewives need fucking Excursions with exhausts?
Same reason you're driving a Passat and not a Cavalier.

You have the means.
I mean there's quality and then there's excessiveness.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Exactly.  

Hippie.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tom

Exactly.  

Hippie.
Cheney.

footoflead

QuoteThe average person isn't capable of making biodiesel.  I'm not sure where you got the $.28, but to buy pre-made stuff it's like 5 bucks, atleast where I live.  Making it is difficult but I guess it could be cheap if you know what you're doing.  Stations that sell it are rare.  If you want to run straight veg oil(from Micdonalds or wherever) it is certainly possible but requires a little bit of engine modification.  Worth it imo, but not recommended with a stock diesel engine.
I thought you could make bio-diesel...i remeber watching a show that showed you how to make it...mabey it was on trucks one day

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

QuoteThe average person isn't capable of making biodiesel.  I'm not sure where you got the $.28, but to buy pre-made stuff it's like 5 bucks, atleast where I live.  Making it is difficult but I guess it could be cheap if you know what you're doing.  Stations that sell it are rare.  If you want to run straight veg oil(from Micdonalds or wherever) it is certainly possible but requires a little bit of engine modification.  Worth it imo, but not recommended with a stock diesel engine.
I thought you could make bio-diesel...i remeber watching a show that showed you how to make it...mabey it was on trucks one day
You're right Kev, I watched that one, too.  It's fairly simple as long as you follow the instructions on the mixing.

This, I believe, was the website he gave for the product(s) he used...

http://biodieselamerica.org/biosite/index....d=141,0,0,1,0,0

Go to the Products link on the left and you will find yourself looking at home-brewing biodiesel machines.  1300 bucks for the cheapest one.  

Run Away

Exactly.  

No no, argue about it nonstop over the internet.
I'm sure that in the end, one of you will be a changed man.

Tom

Exactly.  

Wtf?  I said "I can let it go" and I did.

Tom

QuoteThe average person isn't capable of making biodiesel.  I'm not sure where you got the $.28, but to buy pre-made stuff it's like 5 bucks, atleast where I live.  Making it is difficult but I guess it could be cheap if you know what you're doing.  Stations that sell it are rare.  If you want to run straight veg oil(from Micdonalds or wherever) it is certainly possible but requires a little bit of engine modification.  Worth it imo, but not recommended with a stock diesel engine.
If you want to make it and you can do a good job, more power to you.  Seriously, that would be really cool.  But honestly I wouldn't trust some guy over the internet or a tv show without looking into it some more.  It involves some dangerous and flammable stuff and I believe there are laws that say you can mix biodiesel within a certain radius of another house or something.

Run Away

Exactly.  

I was being sarcastic, of course you let it go. Either let it go, or start argueing were your two choices basically.
I was just commenting on how pointless ....everything is, as in the end nothing makes a difference.

Tom

Exactly.  

I was being sarcastic, of course you let it go. Either let it go, or start argueing were your two choices basically.
I was just commenting on how pointless ....everything is, as in the end nothing makes a difference.
Have a bad day?