Cummins vs. Powerstroke vs. Duramax

Started by SaltyDog, November 28, 2005, 02:32:05 PM

SaltyDog

Which one?  I would probably go with the proven one, even if it is old as dirt.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Champ

I don't know much about any other than the fact they are all diesels.

Care to post a little about each one?

SaltyDog

Sure, imo...

The Cummins is the oldest and crudest, but known for lasting forever.  It's internal engine parts are beefier.  Gas mileage is respectable and torque is never lacking even though it is smallest in displacement at 5.9L and 6cyl.  It's also very receptible to power upgrades.  Many who go for performance are cranking out 600+ hp without the risk of damage that the other two diesels have.  This engine is proven not only in trucks but has been used in busses and commercial vehicles with great success and longetivity.   Basically, it's not only extremely capable stock, but can be upgraded to make incredible torque.  

The Powerstroke is newer and has had reliability issues in the 6.0 especially.  It's also made in 7.3.  I wouldn't call it a bad engine by any means, and it may be more powerful than the Cummins when stock, but it is not capable of upgrading to the extent the Cummins is.  One reason it is popular because it comes in an arguably better packge with a Ford truck to surround it.  It's also worth mentioning that these engine issues were earlier and Ford tweaks them every year.  

The Duramax is know for cracked heads.  Alluminum is used in the heads, crankcase, accessory drive brackets.  I guess this saves weight, but can lead to expensive repairs.  It is otherwise solid, but unremarkable compared to the Cummins imo.  However, the general consensus is that Allison trannies are the best in the business.

I would definately go with the Cummins.  I like them all though.  

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

TBR

The Cummins would also be my choice. It has the power and refinement of the other two with a proven design. It also gets more mpg.

giant_mtb

QuoteSure, imo...

The Cummins is the oldest and crudest, but known for lasting forever.  It's internal engine parts are beefier.  Gas mileage is respectable and torque is never lacking even though it is smallest in displacement at 5.9L and 6cyl.  It's also very receptible to power upgrades.  Many who go for performance are cranking out 600+ hp without the risk of damage that the other two diesels have.  This engine is proven not only in trucks but has been used in busses and commercial vehicles with great success and longetivity.   Basically, it's not only extremely capable stock, but can be upgraded to make incredible torque.  

The Powerstroke is newer and has had reliability issues in the 6.0 especially.  It's also made in 7.3.  I wouldn't call it a bad engine by any means, and it may be more powerful than the Cummins when stock, but it is not capable of upgrading to the extent the Cummins is.  One reason it is popular because it comes in an arguably better packge with a Ford truck to surround it.  It's also worth mentioning that these engine issues were earlier and Ford tweaks them every year.  

The Duramax is know for cracked heads.  Alluminum is used in the heads, crankcase, accessory drive brackets.  I guess this saves weight, but can lead to expensive repairs.  It is otherwise solid, but unremarkable compared to the Cummins imo.  However, the general consensus is that Allison trannies are the best in the business.

I would definately go with the Cummins.  I like them all though.
So there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Cummins ever or what?  Because there you praised the Cummins, but shit on the other two.

SaltyDog

QuoteSure, imo...

The Cummins is the oldest and crudest, but known for lasting forever.  It's internal engine parts are beefier.  Gas mileage is respectable and torque is never lacking even though it is smallest in displacement at 5.9L and 6cyl.  It's also very receptible to power upgrades.  Many who go for performance are cranking out 600+ hp without the risk of damage that the other two diesels have.  This engine is proven not only in trucks but has been used in busses and commercial vehicles with great success and longetivity.   Basically, it's not only extremely capable stock, but can be upgraded to make incredible torque. 

The Powerstroke is newer and has had reliability issues in the 6.0 especially.  It's also made in 7.3.  I wouldn't call it a bad engine by any means, and it may be more powerful than the Cummins when stock, but it is not capable of upgrading to the extent the Cummins is.  One reason it is popular because it comes in an arguably better packge with a Ford truck to surround it.  It's also worth mentioning that these engine issues were earlier and Ford tweaks them every year. 

The Duramax is know for cracked heads.  Alluminum is used in the heads, crankcase, accessory drive brackets.  I guess this saves weight, but can lead to expensive repairs.  It is otherwise solid, but unremarkable compared to the Cummins imo.  However, the general consensus is that Allison trannies are the best in the business.

I would definately go with the Cummins.  I like them all though.
So there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Cummins ever or what?  Because there you praised the Cummins, but shit on the other two.
:blink:

Read the last sentence.  I also thought everyone would realize that I was talking in relative terms.  I set the Cummins as the benchmark and explained why I feel the other two are worse.  I never said they are bad.  

Also, I clearly said the Cummins is old and crude.  It runs pretty roughly.  Jeez, I said all that in my post and you retardedly say that I "shit on the other two"

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

Speed_Racer

I've always liked the sound and availablility of torque of Powerstrokes straight from the factory, but I don't like the reliability issues in the new 6.0L

Plus, the truck you get with it looks friggen sweet!

TBR

The cummins actually seems more refined than the PSD to me.

footoflead

When it comes down to it...if i had to pick between Powerstroke..or the Duramax...i choose the duramax...now between the cummins and the duramax...it would be tough..
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raza

Cummins by far has the funniest name.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

footoflead

QuoteCummins by far has the funniest name.
i saw a truck with "cummin" on the back the other day... :rolleyes:

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

SaltyDog

You could make an argument for Powerstroke :lol:  

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

footoflead

You could make an argument for Powerstroke :lol:
:D  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Run Away

All three could easily be names of condoms too...

SaltyDog

QuoteAll three could easily be names of condoms too...
:lol:   I think there actually is a Duramax.  If not Duramax, Dura-something.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

SaltyDog

QuoteDura-2000. ;)
I'm sure you would know.  Those Canadians start early ;)  :lol:  

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

SaltyDog

So I guess no one really cares about diesels? :(  

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

Run Away

QuoteDura-2000. ;)
I'm sure you would know.  Those Canadians start early ;)  :lol:
Not positive. :P

As for diesels, I'm not too interested in the new ones because there's no chance of me owing one...
I wouldn't mind knowing more about the GM 6.2L though, since they're found in the chevy pickups I like.

93JC

First of all, it's Durex:

One of the more popular condom brands. Either Durex or Trojan are the most popular.

Second of all, ideally, I'd like a Cummins coupled to an Allison automatic (not sure if the Silverado/Sierra's transmission could be adapted to the Cummins ISB, but there are Allison automatics used with other Cummins engines: newer transit buses 'round here use 8.3L Cummins ISCs and 5-speed Allisons).

Finally, a Detroit Diesel 6.2L is basically the same as a 6.5L, still used in the Hummer H1.

Run Away

Jah, but there is a Dura-2000 I beleive...
I've got a couple Durexs. Purple package.

93JC

QuoteJah, but there is a Dura-2000 I beleive...
Pretty sure there ain't.

I've got a couple Durexs. Purple package.

Thin ones if I remember correctly.

SaltyDog

Who needs 'em?  I got an old Milkey Way wrapper.

(Family guy :D )

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

JYODER240

I have only driven the powerstroke and duramax, from those two i'd choose the duramax.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

93JC

QuoteWho needs 'em?  I got an old Milkey Way wrapper.

(Family guy :D )
:lol:

"OW! You missed!"

"No, I didn't. That's for closing the window when I tried to jump in the General Lee!"

SargeMonkey

QuoteWhich one?  I would probably go with the proven one, even if it is old as dirt.
Think of it this way, 80% of the people in my town own a truck. All the newer fords are most likely deisel, same with the dodges. Chevys are gas but about 50% are deisel. GM aside from the H1 doesn't make the best deisel engines, but crystler does make very good engines. Though there gas engines just suck. Fords mediocore on all fronts.

If you buy a deisel get a dodge, the chevys are pretty good and do last longer but if it does break it breaks hard. If you deside to go gas get a chevy, there engine last for ever, crystler is just about as good, but it will have lower fuel mileage. Fords don't seem to last long, and freqintly fall apart. If I remember right they have the lowest long term duribility rating of any domestic truck.

If you get a toyota truck they do have desiel, but I think they are only avalible in small numbers over sea's.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

SargeMonkey

QuoteI've always liked the sound and availablility of torque of Powerstrokes straight from the factory, but I don't like the reliability issues in the new 6.0L

Plus, the truck you get with it looks friggen sweet!

You mean it looks like a dodge?  
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

280Z Turbo

93JC, I thought the H1 switched to the Duramax.

I would prefer the Cummins myself. I remember reading when it came out in 2003 that it was improved A LOT and was actually more refined than the competitors.

Five years ago, I would have chosen the Powerstroke, because the Cummins was far too noisy back then and the 7.3L Powerstroke was more reliable than the 6.0L is.

I've spent quite a bit of time riding around in my cousin's 2000 7.3L Powerstoke F-250 Lariat. It is fairly quiet, comfortable, and the acceleration was great. However, the trailer-pulling torque was the best part of all with that truck. :rockon:

TBR

I actually love the sound of  a pre-'03 cummins. It sounds like a semi truck, though its volume might get obnoxious after a little time.

93JC

Quote93JC, I thought the H1 switched to the Duramax.
A little poking around on hummer.com confirms this.

Sorry, I didn't know. :ph34r:

We don't even get the H1 in Canada anymore...