Total US market up 5% YTD... ATS sales down 21%...

Started by 12,000 RPM, August 01, 2014, 03:00:01 PM

280Z Turbo

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 20, 2014, 07:59:01 AM
Bear in mind it was several years ago.  Most of the members have matured somewhat, since then. ;)

We've gotten way worse overall. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

SVT666

Cadillac's upcoming CT6 flagship sedan will usher in a new naming scheme for the luxury automaker, General Motors has revealed.

Following in the footsteps of luxury brands like Infiniti and BMW, Cadillac will overhaul its naming structure to better communicate to buyers the hierarchy of Cadillac vehicles. That move should come as little surprise as Cadillac president Johan de Nysschen oversaw a similar shift while leading the Infiniti brand.

Moving forward, all Cadillac sedan models will start with the CT designation followed by a number indicating its size and positioning. The CTS and ATS will eventually be renamed under the new scheme, but it will take some time to complete that transition.

"As we expand the portfolio, we can assist consumers in placing the cars within a structure, as they compare cars both within our showroom and across the market generally," said Uwe Ellinghaus, Cadillac chief marketing officer. "However, this will be an evolutionary process - we will only change a product's name when the product itself is redesigned or an all-new model is created, as in this instance."

Cadillac will presumably move forward with a similar naming plan for its utility models, but the automaker didn't address that issue. It also remains unknown how Cadillac will designate two-door models like the current ATS Coupe.

AutobahnSHO

Will

12,000 RPM

de Nysschen is an executive troll. He was behind Infiniti's switch to the Q names.

If Caddy needs anything it's to switch back to actual names. The less Cadillac differentiates itself the less value it brings to the marketplace

hotrodalex

How in the world is CT-whatever better at communicating the hierarchy? Dude should be fired, that's baloney.

Everyone is trying to be all high tech and German and just end up with nonsense on the trunk lid. I agree that they should go back to real names.

MX793

At least a number system can convey where in the range the vehicle sits.  Bigger number = higher up the food chain.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

When I visited China in '98, a lot of the domestic car models were seemingly produced by a random number generator.

CN83129357
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

FlatBlackCaddy

How about just going all original and blending bmw and benz together.

Cadillac 1 Classe for entry level
Cadillac 3 Classe Mid range
Cadillac 5 Classe

and of course every few years a prototype of a "production" 7 Classe that we will never see. Complete with full range of imaginary motors that they don't make.

12,000 RPM

IDK guys. Flagship seems to only be getting V6s here

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/03/cadillac-ct6-fitted-pair-v6-engines/

On one hand, 400 HP/lb-ft is plenty. On the other hand, now Caddy seems poised on offering LESS car for the same money with this flagship that is supposed to be the face of the brand. *Krusty groan*

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 21, 2015, 05:10:12 PM
IDK guys. Flagship seems to only be getting V6s here

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/03/cadillac-ct6-fitted-pair-v6-engines/

On one hand, 400 HP/lb-ft is plenty. On the other hand, now Caddy seems poised on offering LESS car for the same money with this flagship that is supposed to be the face of the brand. *Krusty groan*

There is a reason all it's supposed competition (S, XJ, A8, 7, LS) have V8's, and it's not for the extra power.

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

hotrodalex

MX793

Looks like instead of chasing ze Germans, Caddy's set its sights on the Lincoln MKS (or whatever their Taurus-based flagship is).  Next we'll find out it's actually just the next iteration of the FWD DTS/XTS, or is a LWB version of the XTS.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MX793 on March 21, 2015, 06:57:59 PM
Looks like instead of chasing ze Germans, Caddy's set its sights on the Lincoln MKS (or whatever their Taurus-based flagship is).  Next we'll find out it's actually just the next iteration of the FWD DTS/XTS, or is a LWB version of the XTS.
:lol:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 21, 2015, 06:56:18 PM
Will they have v8s next gen, though,?
They all have options for a 6 now but I think V8s will always at least be an option. Still don't get how of all companies GM is weak in V8 coverage in their luxury cars.

Submariner

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 21, 2015, 06:56:18 PM
Will they have v8s next gen, though,?

Probably - my guess is some will have 12 cylinder options, too. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 21, 2015, 07:20:02 PM
They all have options for a 6 now but I think V8s will always at least be an option. Still don't get how of all companies GM is weak in V8 coverage in their luxury cars.

Because the only V8 they have is the SBC, which really isn't "refined" enough for luxury duty.  They abandoned the OHC Northstar, which was originally designed for luxury car duties.
Needs more Jiggawatts

12,000 RPM

SBC is good enough for 6 figure Escalades bought en masse by NYC Park Ave families... plus if they turbo it that would remove a lot of NVH, improve efficiency (esp if they cut down the displacement) etc etc.

4V is not really needed for luxury cars as high revs are uncivilized. It would be good if they could phase the intake/exhaust cams individually like they did with the Viper though

2o6

Most people don't know or give a solid fuck what's under the hood of their 7 series.

Honestly, the best route for the CT6 (which is a completely Not memorable name and overall bad) was a very radical shape with basically a big volt power train. (2.0T + electric motors = series hybrid)

But the CT6 will never stand out. It looks milquetoast in previews, and the way Cadillac is previewing it is amateurish. There's no anticipation for this model. It isn't avant grade. It isn't groundbreaking. It's not something that makes you want to buy it.

It's DOA.

12,000 RPM

I think people care. Not in the, "a more efficient drivetrain will save me $200 a month in gas on a car that costs me $2000 a month to drive" way, but in the same way the Model S stands way out from the S/7/A8/LS etc. Ultimately though engine choice is a decision people have to make... for some people the smaller powertrain is important, whereas for others the larger one is, whereas for others the greenest one is. People still buy AMG S classes which is absolutely ridiculous to me, but shows some people do care. Those folks would be lost to Cadillac w/no "high performance" option.

Ugh that name though. CT6-V.... sounds like a virus strain.

hotrodalex

Most people don't have a clue what's under the hood. As long as it's not underpowered or unrefined, they won't notice.

And I thought you were against the whole performance Cadillac thing...

I totally agree about the name, though. Stupid.

GoCougs

Well, 425 hp is in the ballpark of the base Germans' V8s (which they've ruined), so I'm not sure what the big deal is.

Given a number of brands have abandoned the large luxury segment (Acura, Infiniti, Cadillac) or aren't putting much work into it (Lexus) my hunch is there's not a lot of cream there, or in the least there is FAR more in small/medium luxury sedan and SUV markets.

FlatBlackCaddy

Pretty hard for Acura, Infiniti and Cadillac to abandon a segment that they were never really in.

MX793

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 22, 2015, 11:42:18 AM
Pretty hard for Acura, Infiniti and Cadillac to abandon a segment that they were never really in.

To their credit, Infiniti tried to break into that market.  The Q45 just never caught on (poor marketing and awkward styling I'm sure didn't help).

Caddy has always had a full-size barge in their lineup, but hasn't been competitive with the top dogs from Europe for at least 30 years.  They seem to be content duking it out with Lincoln's full-size offerings in the "luxurious but not prestigious" full-size sedan segment.
Needs more Jiggawatts

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MX793 on March 22, 2015, 12:09:53 PM
To their credit, Infiniti tried to break into that market.  The Q45 just never caught on (poor marketing and awkward styling I'm sure didn't help).

Caddy has always had a full-size barge in their lineup, but hasn't been competitive with the top dogs from Europe for at least 30 years.  They seem to be content duking it out with Lincoln's full-size offerings in the "luxurious but not prestigious" full-size sedan segment.

I'm aware of what models were available.  I figured it would be obvious that my comment was in regards to competing in those segments.

GoCougs

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 22, 2015, 11:42:18 AM

Sure they were, in the early '90s - Legend, Q45, STS...

FlatBlackCaddy

Were in competitively,  is what I meant.

While those may have been good cars, none of them had any influence or large presence on the full size luxury market.