Honda Introduces New Family of Turbocharged, Direct-Injected Engines

Started by 12,000 RPM, August 09, 2014, 02:16:06 PM

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on August 12, 2014, 04:56:03 AM
Lower thermal efficiency != lower fuel efficiency in many cases.  The two cannot be directly correlated.  Too many other factors.

Yes, it does, if all else is the same; i.e. exact same car (as is the scenario I am describing).

GoCougs

Quote from: CJ on August 12, 2014, 04:33:30 AM

You keep saying this and I'm not so sure you know what it means. 

My dad's Sonata does quite well WRT fuel economy, and my mom's Jetta does insanely well.  She's up to an average of 39 MPG for her commute.  The trip computer registers around 38.2-38.4 MPG, but it tends to read a little low.  I filled it up on Saturday and it did 39.3 MPG.  A little under 500 miles on that tank and two weeks of Dallas driving. 

I do know what means, and what all the test data says it is, esp. the recent C&D, Consumer Reports and other testing (= turbos under perform in the real world in mpg).

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 12, 2014, 06:31:05 AM
EcoBoost engines are 10.0:1 compression.

Not a good example IMO since EB hasn't gone well for Ford.

By definition a F/I motor has to run at lower CR than its N/A counterpart - that's why you use F/I (to get a higher effective CR).

SVT666

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on August 12, 2014, 08:17:59 AM
Yes, it does, if all else is the same; i.e. exact same car (as is the scenario I am describing).

If one car is running a turbo 4 and the other a larger NA 6, all else is not the same other than compression ratio.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on August 12, 2014, 08:43:14 AM
Please elaborate.

Ford has all sorts of class action suits resulting from EB, esp. in the F150 and in general EB just hasn't delivered anything new or improved.

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on August 12, 2014, 09:01:05 AM
If one car is running a turbo 4 and the other a larger NA 6, all else is not the same other than compression ratio.

The premise in the previous post was same car boost vs. no boost.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on August 12, 2014, 08:26:45 AM

By definition a F/I motor has to run at lower CR than its N/A counterpart - that's why you use F/I (to get a higher effective CR).
They've had better than expected success with their EcoBoost products...other than a few leadfoots complaining about fuel efficiency.  They don't seem to understand that you have an option of fuel efficiency or power.  You don't get both at the same time.   As for problems with condensation in the intercooler...happened with some...it was fixed.  Other niggling teething problems with the 1.6 have also been fixed.  Nothing really to complain about.

As for TFSI engines having to use lower compression ratio, not necessarily.  You're just packing more air in.  The injected fuel occurs in stages, initially to cool the cylinder right up to the point of spark.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 12, 2014, 09:17:32 AM
They've had better than expected success with their EcoBoost products...other than a few leadfoots complaining about fuel efficiency.  They don't seem to understand that you have an option of fuel efficiency or power.  You don't get both at the same time.   As for problems with condensation in the intercooler...happened with some...it was fixed.  Other niggling teething problems with the 1.6 have also been fixed.  Nothing really to complain about.

As for TFSI engines having to use lower compression ratio, not necessarily.  You're just packing more air in.  The injected fuel occurs in stages, initially to cool the cylinder right up to the point of spark.

True, depends what you mean by "success." Lots of people have purchased EB products, which is a "success." However, the engines have legions of problems with durability and mpg, ergo, all the class action lawsuits and resulting recalls and government investigations.

Yes, by definition CR has to be lower with a F/I motor of any incarnation.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on August 12, 2014, 09:12:56 AM
Ford has all sorts of class action suits resulting from EB, esp. in the F150 and in general EB just hasn't delivered anything new or improved.
Any teething problems are/have being dealt with through TSBs.  As for the design philosophy...small displacement TFSI (type) engines for both efficiency and power (though not at the same time)...imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...GM will be offering their version of EcoBoost in the next rendition of their pick-ups.  I hope to god they don't have push-rods in them.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on August 12, 2014, 09:12:56 AM
Reliability /= fuel efficiency

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on August 12, 2014, 09:36:45 AM
True, depends what you mean by "success." Lots of people have purchased EB products, which is a "success." However, the engines have legions of problems with durability and mpg, ergo, all the class action lawsuits and resulting recalls and government investigations.

Yes, by definition CR has to be lower with a F/I motor of any incarnation.
Depends what you mean by "legions".  A handful of litigious opportunists complaining about problems that don't exist, or have already been fixed, hardly counts as a legitimate problem.  As for durability, that's a crock. 

As for compression ration, without direct injection and the gas coming in with a load of hot air, it may well cause pre-ignition.  With adequate inter-cooling to keep the air cooler as well as direct injection to initially spray the cylinder to cool it and give the final shot prior to spark, there really is no need to reduce the compression ration.

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 12, 2014, 09:37:04 AM
Any teething problems are/have being dealt with through TSBs.  As for the design philosophy...small displacement TFSI (type) engines for both efficiency and power (though not at the same time)...imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...GM will be offering their version of EcoBoost in the next rendition of their pick-ups.  I hope to god they don't have push-rods in them.

EB problems are endemic to the design. Either way true that will get solved in time but poor real world mpg is endemic to turbo motors, not a design issue.

GM ain't copying Ford. GM isn't immune to wanting to game EPA testing procedure and turbocharging has been around a long time.

MexicoCityM3

BMW turbos are notoriously less reliable than the N/A engines. Things are improving but it takes one cursory look at forums to see this.

1M: Four unscheduled visits so far for injector/plugs/whatever problems. Easy and relatively inexpensive to fix, but still. 18,000 miles so far.
E90, E46 M3s: Three visits for engine related problems in 100,000 miles combined. E46: engine cooling (fixed under warranty probably was my own stupid fault), alternator went bad. E90: misfire because of a problem with an electrical grounding.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on August 12, 2014, 08:26:45 AM

Well, it's not only that.  You're also getting more O2 for a given effective CR.  Effective CR is only telling part of the story.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 12, 2014, 10:07:44 AM
BMW turbos are notoriously less reliable than the N/A engines. Things are improving but it takes one cursory look at forums to see this.

1M: Four unscheduled visits so far for injector/plugs/whatever problems. Easy and relatively inexpensive to fix, but still. 18,000 miles so far.
E90, E46 M3s: Three visits for engine related problems in 100,000 miles combined. E46: engine cooling (fixed under warranty probably was my own stupid fault), alternator went bad. E90: misfire because of a problem with an electrical grounding.

Not just BMW but anyone who makes turbo motors. There's just a lot more going on and the environment (heat, cylinder pressure) is much more stressful. It will probably get better but without light year leaps in tech (esp. materials) they'll never be as durable/reliable as their N/A counterparts.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on August 12, 2014, 09:14:27 AM
The premise in the previous post was same car boost vs. no boost.

The premise was for "equivalent" engines, one boosted and one not.  A NA 2-liter is not equivalent to a boosted one in terms of power output.  Yes, an NA 2-liter with a 10.5 CR is going to be more fuel efficient than a turbocharged 2-liter running off (minimal) boosted with a 9:1 CR.  But the turbo 2-liter off boost should be more fuel efficient than a similarly powerful, larger displacement motor (I.e. a 230 HP 3-liter) despite the lower thermal efficiency.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on August 12, 2014, 10:39:55 AM
Not just BMW but anyone who makes turbo motors. There's just a lot more going on and the environment (heat, cylinder pressure) is much more stressful. It will probably get better but without light year leaps in tech (esp. materials) they'll never be as durable/reliable as their N/A counterparts.
Lol. U havent been paying attention. Turbos have made leaps and bounds from even just 20 years ago.

And Ford's Ecoboost lawsuits have nothing to do with fuel economy. It's a problem with water accumulation in the intercooler. Sure, a problem with a turbocharging related component, but its not like this is the first powertrain design flaw ever. Ford has made good on its "6 cylinder fuel economy with 8 banger power" claim, no lawsuits about that.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 12, 2014, 10:07:44 AM

Most of BMW's turbo motor woes have been unrelated to the turbo itself.  The majority were issues with the fuel injection system (fuel pumps especially were problematic).
Needs more Jiggawatts

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on August 12, 2014, 11:09:25 AM
The premise was for "equivalent" engines, one boosted and one not.  A NA 2-liter is not equivalent to a boosted one in terms of power output.  Yes, an NA 2-liter with a 10.5 CR is going to be more fuel efficient than a turbocharged 2-liter running off (minimal) boosted with a 9:1 CR.  But the turbo 2-liter off boost should be more fuel efficient than a similarly powerful, larger displacement motor (I.e. a 230 HP 3-liter) despite the lower thermal efficiency.

The same engine with a lower CR is going to be by definition less efficient was my point.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on August 12, 2014, 07:16:16 PM
The same engine with a lower CR is going to be by definition less efficient was my point.

A true statement, but not what you said.

QuoteWell, better for the turbo engine but better not relative to an equivalent N/A engine. When not on boost you're driving the engine at lower compression ratio = by definition lower efficiency.

No one would consider a turbocharged engine and a non-turbocharged version of the same engine to be "equivalent".  "Equivalent" implies similarly performing (power and torque), and that's how it's been used by everyone in the context of this thread to date.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 11, 2014, 09:10:06 PM
E320 weighs about a ton more than the Jetta though, so not necessarily turbo magic in action.

True, there was about 500 pounds between the cars.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Char

Quote from: Speed_Racer on August 09, 2014, 06:18:34 PM
Has the DI carbon buildup problem been solved by anybody yet?
Yeah, it's called not being a German car. Though, BMW's N55 doesn't have the carbon buildup.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Char on August 17, 2014, 06:36:22 PM
Yeah, it's called not being a German car. Though, BMW's N55 doesn't have the carbon buildup.
Mazda's 2.3T has carbon buildup problems. So your posts are what we call "not having a fucking clue"
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

GoCougs

Char's right though - Germans have some issues building engines.

Char

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 17, 2014, 08:41:48 PM
Mazda's 2.3T has carbon buildup problems. So your posts are what we call "not having a fucking clue"

And the Japanese are the first ones to figure out how to avoid the issue (which is why Toyota uses 2 sets of injectors)

Typical of you to spout off the hip and have no fucking clue - as usual.
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

hotrodalex

And Mazda is Japanese and their 2.3T has carbon buildup problems. So Toyota was the first to avoid the issue, not the Japanese.

Char

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 18, 2014, 02:19:57 PM
And Mazda is Japanese and their 2.3T has carbon buildup problems. So Toyota was the first to avoid the issue, not the Japanese.
Oh and Subaru, who is also Japanese.

MX793

Quote from: Char on August 18, 2014, 02:22:25 PM

Too early to tell on Subaru.  They only have 2 motors running DI, both came out for 2014, and one of them is using Toyota's DI system with the secondary injectors to deal with carbon buildup.  The other (using Subie's own DI system) remains to be seen.
Needs more Jiggawatts

hotrodalex

Quote from: Char on August 18, 2014, 02:22:25 PM

The engine in the BRZ which was built in collaboration with Toyota? The one that uses Toyota DI tech? The one that Subaru apparently didn't even want to put DI on?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2698