Honda Introduces New Family of Turbocharged, Direct-Injected Engines

Started by 12,000 RPM, August 09, 2014, 02:16:06 PM

12,000 RPM

http://blog.caranddriver.com/honda-introduces-turbocharged-direct-injection-three-and-four-cylinder-engines-2013-tokyo-auto-show/

QuoteHonda is finally getting on the turbocharged, direct-injection bandwagon with three new engines: a 1.5-liter turbo four, a three-cylinder 1.0-liter turbo, and a 2.0-liter turbo four. The most interesting one, at least to enthusiasts, will be the 2.0-liter unit. Honda was coy about horsepower figures, but did go so far as to say that the engine will be, "10-percent more fun than the current 3.5-liter V-6." If we take that to mean 10-percent more power, then the new 2.0-liter turbo four will have about 300 horses.

On the design front, the engine gets the aforementioned direct injection, it will also get sodium-cooled exhaust valves, an electrically controlled wastegate for the turbocharger, and high-tumble intake ports. The redline in the cars we drove was marked at 7000 rpm.

Honda Civic Type R

We sampled the new 2.0-liter in a European-market Civic Type R with a six-speed manual. Acceleration is seriously quick through first gear; engine noise is loud, but Honda may have played up the exhaust and intake noise to suit the character of the Type R. In addition to the six-speed manual, Honda is preparing an eight-speed dual-clutch automatic with a torque converter that would work with the four-cylinder members of this new engine family.

Our drive was limited to the oval at Honda's Tochigi proving ground, so it was difficult to sniff out turbo lag, but in the Euro Civic, the engine feels mighty strong.

Before you get too excited, this engine is still a few years off in the U.S. At the earliest, we may see this engine in three years. What Honda, or Acura, will put it in is yet to be determined, but it would make sense in the TL replacement, the upcoming TLX, right on down to the Accord or a hot Civic.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

No way, all these companies will upend billions of dollars invested once the EPA gets wise to turbo tricks

Just kidding, yea, DI-T is the future for better or worse.

Speed_Racer

hotrodalex

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Speed_Racer on August 09, 2014, 06:18:34 PM
Has the DI carbon buildup problem been solved by anybody yet?
Yea, they put on secondary regular injectors. Cheaper than recalls/warranty claims I guess. First car I heard that does this is the Toyobaru Freeze Breeze

GoCougs

Sad. Very sad. Though if someone is gonna make turbo engines a wee bit less awful it's definitely gonna be Honda.

Soup DeVille

Underneath all the bluster you're just a fanboy at heart, my friend.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 09, 2014, 08:34:32 PM
Underneath all the bluster you're just a fanboy at heart, my friend.

Turbos? How can I be? The data just ain't there.

Honda? Meh, so-so. Acura is a borderline embarrassment and Honda is just okay.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on August 09, 2014, 08:43:56 PM
Turbos? How can I be? The data just ain't there.
Sure it is, you just ignore it and cherry pick spuriously to arrive at the conclusion you prefer. There are countless examples of cars of similar weight and performance that gained 5-10 MPG switching to turbocharging.

FlatBlackCaddy

Honda desperately needs new hardware, and cars, but lets start with the hardware.

12,000 RPM

Their hardware is OK. It's the application, and the cars. They keep waffling back and forth from good to bad. Acura had the Integra/Legend, then fell off when they went to the 1g TL/RL, then came back with the 1G TSX/3G TL, then fell off again with the next iterations and the killing of the RSX. Whoever is handling their product planning needs to be put on trial.

MexicoCityM3

In real world MPG with my driving style I see very little benefit, if any. My 1M and E46 M3 are very close in the mileage I get and comparisons cannot get any closer. Both have 340hp and weigh almost the same. One N/A, one turbo.

The benefit in the 1M is the real-world, everyday fun that you get from the low-end turbo torque. Downside is the lack of good noise and throttle response.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

IDK man. 328i gained like 10 MPG going turbo. Hi po turbo motors are different. Plus the 1 is a brick. It gets like 2-3 MPG worse than the 3 on the highway.

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 11, 2014, 04:59:14 PM
In real world MPG with my driving style I see very little benefit, if any. My 1M and E46 M3 are very close in the mileage I get and comparisons cannot get any closer. Both have 340hp and weigh almost the same. One N/A, one turbo.

The benefit in the 1M is the real-world, everyday fun that you get from the low-end turbo torque. Downside is the lack of good noise and throttle response.

My Jetta Wolfsburg got much better gas mileage than my E320, which was not as quick as my Jetta. 21 fewer horsepower, but quicker and had much better fuel mileage.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza  on August 11, 2014, 08:54:01 PM
My Jetta Wolfsburg got much better gas mileage than my E320, which was not as quick as my Jetta. 21 fewer horsepower, but quicker and had much better fuel mileage.

E320 weighs about a ton more than the Jetta though, so not necessarily turbo magic in action.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 11, 2014, 08:41:38 PM
IDK man. 328i gained like 10 MPG going turbo. Hi po turbo motors are different. Plus the 1 is a brick. It gets like 2-3 MPG worse than the 3 on the highway.

Yes the 1 is a brick and that doesn't help it.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

2o6

I mean, Turbo engines get better MPG if you stay out of boost. The turbo power adder is really only to add power when you need it. Proper gearing and weight means the car should get around fine without it

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 2o6 on August 11, 2014, 09:23:35 PM
I mean, Turbo engines get better MPG if you stay out of boost. The turbo power adder is really only to add power when you need it. Proper gearing and weight means the car should get around fine without it

What is this out of boost thing you're talking about? Never heard about such a thing!

:lol:
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

hotrodalex

SVT666

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on August 11, 2014, 09:23:35 PM

Well, better for the turbo engine but better not relative to an equivalent N/A engine. When not on boost you're driving the engine at lower compression ratio = by definition lower efficiency.

GoCougs

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 11, 2014, 04:59:14 PM

Well, pretty much you and every other person who owns a turbo sees the same thing IRL ;).

GoCougs

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 11, 2014, 09:10:06 PM
E320 weighs about a ton more than the Jetta though, so not necessarily turbo magic in action.

And older tech, with slushie AT, and more power...

CJ

Quote from: GoCougs on August 11, 2014, 10:49:55 PM
Well, pretty much you and every other person who owns a turbo sees the same thing IRL ;).

You keep saying this and I'm not so sure you know what it means. 

My dad's Sonata does quite well WRT fuel economy, and my mom's Jetta does insanely well.  She's up to an average of 39 MPG for her commute.  The trip computer registers around 38.2-38.4 MPG, but it tends to read a little low.  I filled it up on Saturday and it did 39.3 MPG.  A little under 500 miles on that tank and two weeks of Dallas driving. 

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on August 11, 2014, 10:48:56 PM
Well, better for the turbo engine but better not relative to an equivalent N/A engine. When not on boost you're driving the engine at lower compression ratio = by definition lower efficiency.

Lower thermal efficiency != lower fuel efficiency in many cases.  The two cannot be directly correlated.  Too many other factors.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CJ on August 12, 2014, 04:33:30 AM

You keep saying this and I'm not so sure you know what it means. 

My dad's Sonata does quite well WRT fuel economy, and my mom's Jetta does insanely well.  She's up to an average of 39 MPG for her commute.  The trip computer registers around 38.2-38.4 MPG, but it tends to read a little low.  I filled it up on Saturday and it did 39.3 MPG.  A little under 500 miles on that tank and two weeks of Dallas driving.
Yep. GTI VR6 to GTI 1.8T... E90 328i to F30 328i... Sonata 3.3L V6 to 2.0T... etc... Cougs is purposely making the wrong comparisons to arrive at a predetermined conclusion, contrary to mountains of real world evidence.

I am still an NA guy. NA is best. NA is ideal. But with $4 gas and limited funds.... I put it like this, boost is like a buffet to NA's fine cuisine. I would love every meal to be fine French food but at the end of the day I have $x and daddy gotta eat :lol:

12,000 RPM

Mainstream NA and turbo engines are all about the same CR. Toyota/Honda/Nissan mainstream V6s are all in the mid 10s, Fusion/Sonata 2.0T are 10.0:1.  Half a pt of compression is not a huge difference. It's not the 70s where turbo engines had like a 3 pt difference in compression.

FoMoJo

EcoBoost engines are 10.0:1 compression.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."