Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Submariner

The last truly exciting hypercars were the Carrera GT and Zonda R.

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Galaxy

Quote from: MrH on January 28, 2022, 01:55:22 PM
I love Gordon Murray too.  Both of these cars look so great.  It's the only hypercars I get excited about.

I'm sad we haven't heard anything about the T43 model that was supposed to happen. It was supposed to be 215 hp, <1900 lbs, mid engine, and relatively affordable.

His daily driver is an Alpine A110, and he was singing high praise of the current Porsche 911 GT3. I think he has come to the realization that he can not beat Porsche at under $200,000, and Renault at under $80,000. He just does not have the scale, and is relegated to $1million+ hypercars.

r0tor

Take away his name from these cars and I think they fall flat on their face.  The fans on the T50 are a completely almost useless gimmick.  This new model is at least a little more honest in his goal, but styling is ridiculously boring.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

Quote from: Galaxy on January 30, 2022, 09:54:40 PM
His daily driver is an Alpine A110, and he was singing high praise of the current Porsche 911 GT3. I think he has come to the realization that he can not beat Porsche at under $200,000, and Renault at under $80,000. He just does not have the scale, and is relegated to $1million+ hypercars.

We don't get the Alpine A110 here :(

That makes sense.  But I don't think the intention of the T43 was to ever compete with a GT3.  I think what's probably closer to the truth: they have no where near the volume or capacity to make enough of them to make it affordable.  I just wish he'd come out and say it so he can kill what little hope I have left :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on January 31, 2022, 07:29:21 AM
We don't get the Alpine A110 here :(

That makes sense.  But I don't think the intention of the T43 was to ever compete with a GT3.  I think what's probably closer to the truth: they have no where near the volume or capacity to make enough of them to make it affordable.  I just wish he'd come out and say it so he can kill what little hope I have left :lol:

They were aiming at under £40,000 for the base which would be significantly cheaper than the GT3 though.  And at that power to weight ratio, it would make it even better than the Lotus Elise, i'd definitely take one over a GT3..

NomisR

Quote from: Submariner on January 30, 2022, 09:26:18 PM
The last truly exciting hypercars were the Carrera GT and Zonda R.

I this point, the only car that I still want would be the BAC Mono.. something I can afford that's still super fun to drive.

Galaxy

Quote from: r0tor on January 31, 2022, 06:22:37 AM
Take away his name from these cars and I think they fall flat on their face.  The fans on the T50 are a completely almost useless gimmick.  This new model is at least a little more honest in his goal, but styling is ridiculously boring.

The verdict is still out there on the T.50 fan. The down force levels claimed are unheard of for a car without any large wings. However he should be asking himself why no one else is doing this, and frankly I wish other people ask him. It is worth pointing out that the fan on the T.50 works inherently different compared to his previous works. On the McLaren F1, and his F1 Fan car, the fans were used to directly suck the car onto the ground. In the T.50 the fans guide the  air through the diffuser, and are also used to stall out the diffuser on a straight.

I also like his take on cars. I love that he constantly talks about luggage capacity on his cars,  mentioning that while he enjoys the track, he enjoys even more packing them up for a week long trip through the mountains. Also his cars are compact, whereas something like an Aventador has a footprint approaching an F-150.

Regarding styling: personally I love the clean looks. I hate large wings, and the fussy lines on many modern cars, that are just there for the sake of adding lines. Also I like the lack of aggressiveness in his styling. Today, many cars that had a clean elegant look in the past now have a "grrrrrr, I am angry" look to them (I am looking at you Audi RS6). The Porsche 911 (in most iterations) is one of the few cars that does not do that.  His cars also lack the angry look. Same with the McLaren F1, also in the 90s it was more the norm. An F355 was also relative docile looking.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

I had a slightly unnerving experience in my vehicle (Discovery Sport) the other day.  I was fumbling with the climate control buttons while driving, reaching over and pressing them while keeping an eye on the road.  Unknowingly, I had accidently pressed one of the driving mode buttons.  Nothing happened until I pulled into a parking lot.  Suddenly, when slowing down, the car lurched practically to a standstill and I thought the engine had stalled.  Turns out it was the "downhill" button I had pressed.  Don't know exactly what happened mechanically, but it felt like it had shifted into first gear and locked up the torque converter.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Submariner

Quote from: Galaxy on January 31, 2022, 11:43:28 AM
The verdict is still out there on the T.50 fan. The down force levels claimed are unheard of for a car without any large wings. However he should be asking himself why no one else is doing this, and frankly I wish other people ask him. It is worth pointing out that the fan on the T.50 works inherently different compared to his previous works. On the McLaren F1, and his F1 Fan car, the fans were used to directly suck the car onto the ground. In the T.50 the fans guide the  air through the diffuser, and are also used to stall out the diffuser on a straight.

I also like his take on cars. I love that he constantly talks about luggage capacity on his cars,  mentioning that while he enjoys the track, he enjoys even more packing them up for a week long trip through the mountains. Also his cars are compact, whereas something like an Aventador has a footprint approaching an F-150.

Regarding styling: personally I love the clean looks. I hate large wings, and the fussy lines on many modern cars, that are just there for the sake of adding lines. Also I like the lack of aggressiveness in his styling. Today, many cars that had a clean elegant look in the past now have a "grrrrrr, I am angry" look to them (I am looking at you Audi RS6). The Porsche 911 (in most iterations) is one of the few cars that does not do that.  His cars also lack the angry look. Same with the McLaren F1, also in the 90s it was more the norm. An F355 was also relative docile looking.

That fan ruins what is otherwise an okay exterior.  I wish there was a better way to integrate the exhaust into the body of the car.

The F1 continues to shine through as both an exercise in restraint and beauty.  The F1 has aged extremely well, much better than the T.50 will I suspect.  I wish Mr. Murray took the F1, gave it some modern exterior lights and called it a day.  The interior on the new car is, however, nicely styled.

But 11,500 RPM in a road going V12 so I guess you can forgive the protrusion on the rear end.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Quote from: Galaxy on January 30, 2022, 09:54:40 PM

The most disappointing things about that Alpine are that they decided to make it flappy paddle only (a lightweight, low power GT like that is screaming for a proper gearbox, not an automatic playing pretend) and that it's not sold here. I think they're lovely things and it seems everyone who drives one absolutely adores it. It's a regular driver for James May too. 

https://youtu.be/5LpLuTVNGG4
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CaminoRacer

Falken Wildpeaks come in the right size for stock CX-5 17" wheels. :hmm:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 06, 2022, 02:23:44 PM
Falken Wildpeaks come in the right size for stock CX-5 17" wheels. :hmm:

Yeah but
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

OMG.  :wub:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJgdM1Tq4o8
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 09, 2022, 03:54:31 AM
OMG.  :wub:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJgdM1Tq4o8

That's not likely to ever happen again

cawimmer430

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 09, 2022, 05:59:51 AM
That's not likely to ever happen again

You mean seconds after this video was taken, one or two of them exploded in a ball of soot and nitrogen oxide? :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 09, 2022, 07:57:19 AM
You mean seconds after this video was taken, one or two of them exploded in a ball of soot and nitrogen oxide? :lol:

Most likely, yes :rastaman:

CaminoRacer

2014-2015 Chevy Volts aren't too expensive. Could be a good practical car for commuting + road trips when we don't want to take the Bolt. Could drive it for a couple of years until there are more & cheaper PHEV options (or go all-in on EV for our driveway)

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 09, 2022, 04:37:07 PM
2014-2015 Chevy Volts aren't too expensive. Could be a good practical car for commuting + road trips when we don't want to take the Bolt. Could drive it for a couple of years until there are more & cheaper PHEV options (or go all-in on EV for our driveway)

2014-2015 Volts are terribly loud when you're running on the engine though.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: NomisR on March 09, 2022, 07:16:18 PM
2014-2015 Volts are terribly loud when you're running on the engine though.

I have a Miata with an axle-back straight pipe and an El Camino with Flowmaster Super 44s. Volts don't scare me :lol:

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 09, 2022, 07:43:04 PM
I have a Miata with an axle-back straight pipe and an El Camino with Flowmaster Super 44s. Volts don't scare me :lol:

I think it's a different type of loud though.. it's basically having a generator on type all the time type sound, it sounds annoying..

AutobahnSHO

If Maverick doesn't work out, Volt is my next choice.
Will

cawimmer430

The beast has been awakened!

But these high gas prices take the fun out of driving it.  :cry:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

Rich

New exhibit at the Saratoga auto museum...

QuoteFeatured cars on display include four of the rarest supercars of the era; the Bugatti EB110, the Jaguar XJ220, the Porsche 959, and the one-of-one Isdera Commendatore 112i. Also on display are some of the most revolutionary and trendsetting models of the time including the Dodge Viper RT/10, the Lotus Esprit V8, the GMC Cyclone pickup, and Callaway Corvette Speedster

First chance for me to see many of these in person
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

CaminoRacer

cawimmer430

Berlin's new police cruisers... so Germany can save the planet from global warming. I swear this country has become such a pathetic joke.  :facepalm:

The Berlin Clans and Eastern European crime syndicates operating in Berlin are probably shitting in their pants right now out of fear...  :thumbsup:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

What is the big tub for?  Is that where they transport the drunks that they arrest?

Eye of the Tiger

Do they sell ice cream?

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV