Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Laconian

Teeth: we're free!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on July 10, 2022, 08:20:40 PM
How about shifting into reverse to slow down? Works on boats.

It sounded like he shifted into park. That rarely works.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Manual transmission FTW. Just push the clutch lol
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 10, 2022, 08:33:08 PM
Sounds/looks like he only had a few seconds to react. Which in that scenario may not have been an option or even helped at that speed.

No brakes ✓ wait what the fuck ✓ oh shit all these cars are stopped ✓ fuck can I even shift down ✓ fuck, we're gonna hit ✓

He lost brakes because he boiled the fluid off because he was dragging them to control speed because of the sticking throttle cable.

He had a lot of time to stop, figure out what was wrong, and fix it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on July 10, 2022, 08:20:40 PM
How about shifting into reverse to slow down? Works on boats.

Depends on what he's done to the trans.

They can be setup to do that, but a normal one won't, and if it does, will grenade.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

A sticky throttle cable controlling 1300 HP or whatever is just dumb2.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

What??  BMW Heated Seats Subscription Is Real And It Costs $18 Per Month

We've been "warned" about how subscriptions could become the automotive equivalent of a video game's downloadable content, and we're beginning to see more examples. On its ConnectedDrive Store in South Korea, BMW owners can pay a monthly fee to have a creature comfort such as heated seats. It costs ₩24,000 or approximately $18 at current exchange rates. Alternatively, you can get a one-year plan for $176 or a three-year subscription for $283.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 11, 2022, 08:48:54 AM

We've been "warned" about how subscriptions could become the automotive equivalent of a video game's downloadable content, and we're beginning to see more examples. On its ConnectedDrive Store in South Korea, BMW owners can pay a monthly fee to have a creature comfort such as heated seats. It costs ₩24,000 or approximately $18 at current exchange rates. Alternatively, you can get a one-year plan for $176 or a three-year subscription for $283.

Damn, did Activision buy BMW?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

And the market for older BMWs just got a little stronger...

CALL_911

You know, as much as I say they've lost me as a consumer, I can't think of a whole lot of reasons (besides the wonky styling) I wouldn't replace my car with an M3 in like 5 years.

As far as their current lineup, the 2-series appeals to me (the styling has grown on me, but I don't know that I would drop $65k on an M240i), the X3-7 are excellent at what they're designed for. But they're so, so far from the "no-brainer" they were up until about 2010.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MrH

There isn't much likeable about BMW outside of their on-paper performance numbers anymore.

The gauge cluster & front nose is enough to turn me off completely on most models.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Seems like a story of yet another guy, with no driving skill or automotive knowledge and with too much money, paid another guy to build him a cool car... and then crashed it

Neutral is your friend... Assuming you even know what that is
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 11, 2022, 01:47:56 PM
You know, as much as I say they've lost me as a consumer, I can't think of a whole lot of reasons (besides the wonky styling) I wouldn't replace my car with an M3 in like 5 years.

As far as their current lineup, the 2-series appeals to me (the styling has grown on me, but I don't know that I would drop $65k on an M240i), the X3-7 are excellent at what they're designed for. But they're so, so far from the "no-brainer" they were up until about 2010.

The last year M2 is really the ticket
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SJ_GTI

If I understand it correctly, you can still pay for the option without the subscription, but you can now do a yearly or monthly subscription for less money. For something like seat heaters, this could be a good idea to pay for monthly (since you might only use it 2-3 months within a year).

r0tor

So if it's a subscription for seat heaters, and your seat heater physically fails, I guess BMW should repair the seat heater for free as part of your subscription...

CALL_911

Quote from: r0tor on July 11, 2022, 02:08:51 PM
The last year M2 is really the ticket

The problem with the M2 is, I can't think of an instance in which I wouldn't go for a Cayman or Boxster instead. Priced similarly, and it's neither here nor there (2 door is a PITA to live with, dynamically inferior to the Cayman). I get that it has back seats, but they're not that useful. This criticism really extends to the M2 Comp/CS. The regular M2s, like when they first came out, are excellent.

Although if they did make a 4-door M2, I'd be all over it.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

Similar things happening in the electric motorcycle world.  Paying extra to "unlock" features that are already built-in from the factory.

https://youtu.be/tN3egt52jCQ

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on July 10, 2022, 04:51:00 PM
Wow, if you play it at 0.25x speed, you can see them eat the dashboard. I'm so used to seeing shoulder harnesses and airbags, their absence is jarring.
Instinct of both of them was to recoil: driver straight-armed and so blew out an elbow. Passenger pressed back in his seat & so maximized the face-to-dashboard acceleration time.
Easy to be an armchair quarterback but this is why airlines' brace for impact positions are what they are.

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

cawimmer430

Opel had some pretty nice advertising photography back in the 1950s. Someone build a time machine and send me back to this era when people actually loved cars and there were no annoying tree-huggers, Greenies, Gretas and other eco retards around.  :wub:

1953-1954 Opel Olympia Rekord 2-Door Limousine

1955 Opel Olympia Rekord 2-Door Limousine

1957 Opel Olympia Rekord 2-Door Limousine

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

shp4man

It's a 3/4 size 53 Chevy.

cawimmer430

Quote from: shp4man on July 15, 2022, 07:36:34 AM
It's a 3/4 size 53 Chevy.

And it's engine is half that of a Chevy - four cylinders instead of 8! :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 15, 2022, 08:21:41 AM
https://www.carscoops.com/2022/07/hyundai-n-vision-74-a-hydrogen-hybrid-sports-inspired-by-pony-coupe/

Love Hyundai's retro style of their older 1970s cars.

Also good to see them focusing on hydrogen, which IMO is a much better choice than pure BEV simply because of stable ranges and quicker refueling. If hydrogen can be stored as a paste as one German university is experimenting with, then that could solve the storage issues. Fuel-Cell cars to me are more appealing than a BEV.

I had the chance to drive a Hyundai Kona E and a Hyundai Nexo (Fuel-Cell) side by side on a cold and rainy day and the Nexo was so much better: stable range even when you're driving it hard and turning up the heater!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Had no clue that Chris Harris also owns an R129 SL!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJOkjWKaeXY

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

cawimmer430

This old school Mercedes-Benz press release photo of a 1961 190Dc is one of my favorites. It captures the mood and shows emotions so perfectly.

Picture this. It's August of 1961. The German economic miracle is in full swing. The average German is slowly but surely improving their standard of living. Taxation is fair. You have extra income to spend on those new fancy consumer goods which are all the rage. Perhaps you're thinking of buying a car. You walk past this Mercedes-Benz dealership and see a crowd of people mesmerized by the new W110 D I "Fintail" series on display. You're in love and wish you could afford one, but you lack the necessary 10,450 Deutschmarks to purchase this car. You stay outside of the showroom window for minutes admiring this car, fantasizing about it, perhaps starting a conversation about it with someone next to you and above all, you dream of the day when you might be able to afford one.

That's what this photo symbolizes to me. I think it's beautifully framed, beautifully shot and lit - everything about it is perfect. Every person outside of the showroom window has the perfect body language and facial expression: amazement, in awe and hope. An incredibly powerful photo which to me just describes the early 1960s in Germany so well. Simpler times. Perhaps better times than today.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

The '60s were a "Golden Era" for some of us, especially concerning the cars.