Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

FoMoJo

Quote from: veeman on July 24, 2022, 11:28:31 AM
So is it a Forever stamp or not a Forever stamp
If you're referring to "FOREVER" being crossed out, it isn't on the actual stamp; only when shown in pictures.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 23, 2022, 02:16:22 PM
The '60s were a "Golden Era" for some of us, especially concerning the cars.

They were. Car designers and engineers had freedom.

No annoying eco fanatics around was a big bonus as well.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

Sitting at the Toyota dealership; something decided to crawl into my AC ducting and die.

Anyways, the showroom is empty. Not a single fucking car in it. The front lot is basically empty too. They've put together a line of for sale cars right at the front, so traffic passing by might be fooled, but none of them are actually New cars. Over half aren't even Toyotas.

Supply chain issues aren't even close to being over.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

I bet it won't be until at least the end of 2023 that we could start seeing new cars actually sit on the lot again.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

veeman

Infiniti has new cars on the sales floor.  But no one wants them.

r0tor

I think my old Mazda dealer currently has 4 total cars on the lot
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on July 27, 2022, 01:05:16 PM
I think my old Mazda dealer currently has 4 total cars on the lot

Our Mazda dealership has had a decent number of CX-5s recently. And some Mazda3s. But still a pretty empty lot. The CX-50s should be decently stocked soon since they're produced in Alabama.

AutobahnSHO

Friend just posted about making a deal for a new car with a tradein for X -$6k

But then they go to sign paperwork and finance says it's X + $7k   for the "dealer markup". He walked. Good for him.

I hope the sleazy dealerships don't get any business when cars finally arrive.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 27, 2022, 06:22:52 PM
Friend just posted about making a deal for a new car with a tradein for X -$6k

But then they go to sign paperwork and finance says it's X + $7k   for the "dealer markup". He walked. Good for him.

I hope the sleazy dealerships don't get any business when cars finally arrive.

If I was buying a car right now, the only way I'd pay over MSRP is maybe slipping the salesperson a giftcard to a steak restaurant or something.

giant_mtb

I'm paying MSRP for my truck. She basically said "we're not doing any markup and that's the best we can do."

CALL_911

Interestingly I was able to test drive a brand new WRX the other day. They had 3 in stock, unspoken for. They wouldn't go below MSRP.

On an unrelated note, I liked it but it's fucking ugly

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CaminoRacer

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 28, 2022, 07:26:23 AM
Interestingly I was able to test drive a brand new WRX the other day. They had 3 in stock, unspoken for. They wouldn't go below MSRP.

On an unrelated note, I liked it but it's fucking ugly

I've kinda thought about getting one for a daily driver and rallycross car, but I'm not sure about the styling or long term Subaru reliability (people say they're reliable but then constantly talk about headgaskets)

And used WRXs are not an option because I don't trust WRX owners.

AutobahnSHO

I replaced motors on my 97 and 05. Cheaper than pulling them apart to do work. 97 was clattering, 05 had been over heating. Shop put "revised" head gaskets on the 05 before the install.

First was in 2012 with 180k+. Second was 2016 with 80k.
Will

cawimmer430

One of my clients now has the new 2022 Mercedes-Benz G-Classes on sale. Today we prepared this G63 AMG in San  Jose Orange for a shoot. That color just looks so stunning, especially in person!  :wub:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

cawimmer430

Giving my Australian friends from the Mercedes-Benz Club New South Wales a taste of DRIVING FREEDOM on the Autobahn. We hit 246 km/h (154 mph) before some slow idiot far ahead up front forced me to slow down. God I love speeding!  :wub:

VIDEO LINK: www.youtube.com/shorts/lFwdMAUpFA4

And I had a night shoot with this Lamborghini Urus for Ovi Cars Munich and got to ride in it. We drove to a location near the warehouse where it was stored. My god, that engine note.... GLORIOUS!  :wub:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AutobahnSHO

I love the color :wub:
Will

FoMoJo

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on August 21, 2022, 03:10:25 PM
Everyone is saying this... Nobody is listening

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a40949962/car-buttons-easier-than-touchscreens-study/

The stereo in our Civic is OEM touchscreen without Nav. Sometimes it's "ok" but often it is AWFUL. Not better than a traditional radio. But probably much cheaper to manufacture at this point.
Will

FoMoJo

Single purpose switches, On or Off.  What could be simpler.  My preference is toggle switches.

The only reason I like a touch screen in for the navigation feature.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 21, 2022, 06:38:05 PM
Single purpose switches, On or Off.  What could be simpler.  My preference is toggle switches.

The only reason I like a touch screen in for the navigation feature.

Ford got it right with the original Taurus- buttons and knobs you can tell which one you want by feel even with gloves.

Agree on Nav.
Will

r0tor

My father's JGC is the refreshed version of ours... Mine has a physical button for the seat heaters, his has a software button buried 3 layers deep - just massively infuriating

My two recent cars have all LCD instruments panels and infotainment displays.

Seems like the new trend is going to be one long panel that stretches from instrument cluster to infotainment display. 

I wonder if that's going to be the standard going forward or is this going to be like the 1980s when they did digital everything but then reverted back to analog dials.

Analog dials have existed as long as the car has pretty much, but is this going to be the end for them?  Will they be just a styling element like the analog clocks on Infinitis?

CALL_911

I don't like the trend. Today's will all going to look like dog shit in 10 years.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CALL_911 on August 22, 2022, 04:19:34 PM
I don't like the trend. Today's will all going to look like dog shit in 10 years.

Meanwhile, the XJ will be forever beautiful. :praise:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: CALL_911 on August 22, 2022, 04:19:34 PM

Agreed.  Remember when cars had number pads because being able to call people over your stereo system was the cool new thing...those have aged wonderfully.

FoMoJo

Too many buttons.

Something nice and simple...