Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 24, 2017, 06:28:19 PM
Exactly.  It's so ugly that it's morbidly fascinating.
:hesaid:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

shp4man

That Mitsubishi designer must like watching Godzilla movies.  :lol:

MexicoCityM3

Test drove a Bolt today. Great drivetrain and range. Econobox interior and look (at least for the price here).

An i3 is about 5K more but the real competition for the Bolt IMO is something like the just launched Countryman PHEV that is in an entirely different league quality wise.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 25, 2017, 02:47:40 PM
Test drove a Bolt today. Great drivetrain and range. Econobox interior and look (at least for the price here).

An i3 is about 5K more but the real competition for the Bolt IMO is something like the just launched Countryman PHEV that is in an entirely different league quality wise.

The Mini has 1/10th of the electric range

cawimmer430

Who wants this chick as a girlfriend?  :devil:

Mini Owner Pours Washer Fluid Into Engine Instead Of Oil, Disaster Follows

For most people with even a vague understanding of cars, it is quite obvious that engine oil should be put in the engine.

Unfortunately for one Mini owner in Germany, she never got that memo and when prompted that her car had low windshield washer fluid, she decided that pouring 5 liters of the stuff into the engine would do the trick.

Shortly  after, the woman noticed plumes of blue smoke from her exhaust and took the car to a local mechanic. That's when the shocking discovery was made.
As soon as mechanics opened up the Mini's engine, they were presented by a thick, foamy sludge engulfing the engine and underneath, found that much of the block and engine sump were covered in the same thick goo.

The images, posted on Facebook by a BMW Club in France, don't say what happened next but we suspect the owner was left with two options; sell the car and buy another one or fork out the cost for a replacement engine.

Link: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/07/mini-owner-pours-washer-fluid-into.html
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

My wife poured washer fluid into the coolant overflow tank once.  She did have the presence of mind to have the cooling system immediately flushed once she realized what she had done though.  However, to give a benefit of doubt, it was a new car and the first time she had the hood open.
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 26, 2017, 04:18:57 PM
My wife poured washer fluid into the coolant overflow tank once.  She did have the presence of mind to have the cooling system immediately flushed once she realized what she had done though.  However, to give a benefit of doubt, it was a new car and the first time she had the hood open.

Yikes! Read the instruction manual first! :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 26, 2017, 04:21:45 PM

She doesn't like to waste her time on that sort of thing :huh:.

shp4man

Industry inside joke? I'll bet the tech that took the valve cover off that Mini was literally rolling on the floor laughing. As was the rest of the shop.  :lol:

FoMoJo

Looks like green mayonnaise.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 26, 2017, 04:21:45 PM

Americans do not read instruction manuals.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Drove/detailed a newer Ecoboost F150...damn those things scoot.  The "off road" info screen is cool...shows pitch, yaw, and steering angles.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 26, 2017, 05:02:50 PM
Neither do Canadians; except 'when all else fails'.

12,000 RPM

Wimmer's American auto education is more needed than ever. This is likely a weekly occurrence at every Pep Boys in America.

Soup DeVille

It actually frustrated a German engineer that I worked with to no end, on why we had to lock out advanced functions on some machines.

The German workers apparently would never touch a control that they weren't trained on; the Americans of course just hit random buttons until something happens.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 26, 2017, 06:39:44 PM
It actually frustrated a German engineer that I worked with to no end, on why we had to lock out advanced functions on some machines.

The German workers apparently would never touch a control that they weren't trained on; the Americans of course just hit random buttons until something happens.
My wife exactly.

She has refused to drive our new vehicle because she says "It has too many buttons".

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 26, 2017, 04:23:10 PM
She doesn't like to waste her time on that sort of thing :huh:.

Then you should be a good husband and read it for her!  :thumbsup:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

:lol:

Sound very German.

"Vee must not touch dis...vee did not reed zee Gebrauchsanleitung!"

Gebrauchsanleitung = Instruction manual / user manual

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AutobahnSHO

that explains perfectly a huge portion of the culture difference.
Will

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 27, 2017, 08:52:52 AM
that explains perfectly a huge portion of the culture difference.

Mod culture:
"I just spent good money on a car designed by engineers working for a multibillion dollar, multinational company and put together by some of the most sophisticated manufacturing processes known to man.  Let me get my hammer."

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Instructions are for people who don't know what they're doing.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Havelaar Canada unveils Bison electric pickup truck

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/05/31/havelaar-canada-unveils-bison-electric-pickup-truck/#slide-5054458

It looks like Workhorse has a contender in the electric truck game. The Canadian arm of a company called Havelaar unveiled its Bison battery electric pickup at the EVVE Conference in Ontario this week.

Launched in partnership with the University of Toronto, the Havelaar Bison features a dual-motor, all-wheel-drive powertrain that is designed to withstand Canada's cold weather and rough terrain. It uses an electronic vehicle dynamics management system, and is engineered to tackle steep off-road grades under a full load. It's built upon a carbon fiber-reinforced steel space frame, and Havelaar promises "class-leading" torsional stiffness.

The Bison's battery pack offers a driving range of 186 miles on a single charge. It provides 46 cubic feet of exterior cargo space, with another 18 cubic feet of lockable storage. Inside the cabin is a digital instrument panel, as well as a large, central touchscreen display reminiscent of that in a Tesla. Other details are still scarce, including price and production intent.

Kind of odd looking. :huh:

cawimmer430

It looks like something a Lego-enthusiast would build in their mom's basement.  :confused:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on July 27, 2017, 08:58:19 AM
Mod culture:
"I just spent good money on a car designed by engineers working for a multibillion dollar, multinational company and put together by some of the most sophisticated manufacturing processes known to man.  Let me get my hammer."

I kno rite, OEMs always use the best, most expensive parts and never make mistakes

shp4man

Customer to me: I have an exhaust leak on my new truck I just paid $40,000 bucks for. GRRRR....

Me after looking under the truck:  Looks like you put an aftermarket exhaust on it, huh? I think you should take it back to whoever installed it.

Customer:  YOU MEAN FORD WON'T FIX MY TRUCK????  I JUST IMPROOOOOOOVED IT!!!!!

Me: No, sorry sir. It's Ford's policy to not repair non-Ford items under warranty.  Smile. Have a great day!

Me, really thinking, but not saying: Get the fuck out of here you fucking brainless idiot. And read the owners manual, if you can actually read.   :lol:

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: shp4man on July 28, 2017, 10:01:12 AM
Customer to me: I have an exhaust leak on my new truck I just paid $40,000 bucks for. GRRRR....

Me after looking under the truck:  Looks like you put an aftermarket exhaust on it, huh? I think you should take it back to whoever installed it.

Customer:  YOU MEAN FORD WON'T FIX MY TRUCK????  I JUST IMPROOOOOOOVED IT!!!!!

Me: No, sorry sir. It's Ford's policy to not repair non-Ford items under warranty.  Smile. Have a great day!

Me, really thinking, but not saying: Get the fuck out of here you fucking brainless idiot. And read the owners manual, if you can actually read.   :lol:
Typical Ford customer.........    :stirspot:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CaminoRacer

1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV, 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

giant_mtb

Towed one of those big construction generators to power a concert.  Truck handled it fine.  Could feel the ~40 gallons of diesel fuel pushing the truck as it sloshed around, but that was about it.

Had to get a new tongue, too, since the one I had before was a 5" dropper I'd had back when the truck was lifted...that only got used once. haha. At stock ride height, the more standard-looking 2" dropper still left it a bit low, but it was fine to get the trailer where it needed to be.  Probably gonna take the ball off and flip it around so it's a 1" riser instead...not that I plan to tow anything any time soon. :lol:

Had to torch and scrape the receiver hitch to get all the expanded rust out so the tongue would slide in.  That was annoying...that's what happens when you never tow anything.  I put some motor oil up in there to give it a little protection.

That generator ran for 7.5 hours and only used 1.5 gallons of diesel.  4-cylinder Isuzu.  Generator itself only cost $115 to rent, but the cables and distribution boxes was where they got ya...one 50' cable was like $35 to rent, and the boxes were $45 each.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 29, 2017, 11:48:35 AM
Towed one of those big construction generators to power a concert.  Truck handled it fine.  Could feel the ~40 gallons of diesel fuel pushing the truck as it sloshed around, but that was about it.

Had to get a new tongue, too, since the one I had before was a 5" dropper I'd had back when the truck was lifted...that only got used once. haha. At stock ride height, the more standard-looking 2" dropper still left it a bit low, but it was fine to get the trailer where it needed to be.  Probably gonna take the ball off and flip it around so it's a 1" riser instead...not that I plan to tow anything any time soon. :lol:

Had to torch and scrape the receiver hitch to get all the expanded rust out so the tongue would slide in.  That was annoying...that's what happens when you never tow anything.  I put some motor oil up in there to give it a little protection.

That generator ran for 7.5 hours and only used 1.5 gallons of diesel.  4-cylinder Isuzu.  Generator itself only cost $115 to rent, but the cables and distribution boxes was where they got ya...one 50' cable was like $35 to rent, and the boxes were $45 each.

Our lives are so different.   :lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.