Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

mzziaz

Quote from: Laconian on August 18, 2017, 12:21:43 PM
My brother's getting rid of his Prius. 125k miles and it's drinking a quart of oil per 500 miles. GTFO!

It's either Volt or Bolt for him; he can't decide on which to buy.

The Bolt is a great car, but it depends a bit on his needs. If he does a lot of long distance driving, I think a Bolt would be a bit tiresome.
Cuore Sportivo

MX793

Witnessed what was possibly the stupidest, most avoidable car collision I've ever seen today.  Leaving work, the exit to our business part enters a divided 4-lane boulevard directly across from another street.  Person on the opposite street, in a midsize sedan (Camry, I think) is turning left onto the boulevard.  There was a Jeep exiting our business park who I think was going straight(?).  Cars were at an absolute crawl because traffic was kind of backed up.  Then I watch the Jeep driver step on the gas and just ram into the rear, passenger's quarter of the sedan.  No idea what the hell they were thinking.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

Quote from: MX793 on August 21, 2017, 04:25:07 PM
Witnessed what was possibly the stupidest, most avoidable car collision I've ever seen today.  Leaving work, the exit to our business part enters a divided 4-lane boulevard directly across from another street.  Person on the opposite street, in a midsize sedan (Camry, I think) is turning left onto the boulevard.  There was a Jeep exiting our business park who I think was going straight(?).  Cars were at an absolute crawl because traffic was kind of backed up.  Then I watch the Jeep driver step on the gas and just ram into the rear, passenger's quarter of the sedan.  No idea what the hell they were thinking.

Watching to the left for a gap in traffic and never turning their head to see the Camry that sneaked up in front of them?

MX793

Quote from: ifcar on August 21, 2017, 07:46:24 PM
Watching to the left for a gap in traffic and never turning their head to see the Camry that sneaked up in front of them?

Traffic light controlled; we had a green light.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

BMW Welt | BMW Museum uses Mercedes Sprinter buses. Amusing.  :praise:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

Quote from: MX793 on August 22, 2017, 05:09:31 AM
Traffic light controlled; we had a green light.

Weird. Maybe pedal misapplication.

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

93JC

Yeah, obviously that made the local news here and went over about as well as one would expect. No one likes the Calgary Intl. Airport anymore, the Airport Authority turned into bloodsucking SOBs a while ago.

It used to be you could park in "short-term" parking for no cost if you were there for less than half an hour. It was great at keeping vehicular traffic on the arrivals level to a minimum. Now it's $3.75 for the first half-hour, $4.75 for the next half-hour, and $8.49 for every hour thereafter. And by that I mean if you stay for 31 minutes you get charged $3.75 for the first 30 minutes and $4.75 for the last one. The short-term lot now sits mostly empty because everyone balks at the cost, and the traffic on the arrivals level is a colossal clusterfuck.

Want to take a cab? They sold "exclusive rights" to fare pickups to Associated Cabs, and charge an additional $4.50 fee for every pickup from the airport.

Want to take Uber? They're not allowed to pick you up at the arrivals level, you have to go to a "waiting area" (read: shitty parking lot) to find your driver.

They opened a new international terminal last year, but didn't provide any drinking fountains in it and had minimal seating at the gates. They didn't want you to wait at the gate for your departure: they wanted you to wait for your flight nearer the centre of the terminal, where all the shops are. You have to go through all the duty-free shops to get the departure gates; I don't mean walking past the shops, I mean walking right through the middle of the shops, through aisles of shelving.

The airport are a bunch of money-grubbing cocksuckers.

giant_mtb

Man, you should see how chill our airport is.  Two whole terminals and you even get to walk on the actual runway and climb the stairs, just like the President!

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

93JC

They spent $2,000,000,000 on this:

Guess they need to pay for it somehow.

giant_mtb

I dunno why, but I kinda like airports.  They're so busy, yet so anonymous.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 23, 2017, 04:41:44 PM
I used to like airports until we had to make a connection at Heathrow, twice.  Missed the connection both times due to having to change terminals, crowds and having to go through security again.  Crazy place.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 23, 2017, 04:41:44 PM

If you have a little time to relax, people watching at airports is interesting.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 22, 2017, 06:04:42 AM
BMW Welt | BMW Museum uses Mercedes Sprinter buses. Amusing.  :praise:

Why not? I am sure they use Daimler commercial vehicles in many roles. Including as semis to deliver their cars.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 23, 2017, 05:26:07 PM

Airport bars are some of the most interesting places to meet people.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on August 23, 2017, 05:35:54 PM
Airport bars are some of the most interesting places to meet people.
Along with hotel bars :winkguy:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 23, 2017, 05:26:07 PM

Back when I drove limos, before 9/11 when you could go through security without a ticket, I used to like the airport in the very early hours, when almost nobody was there. It was vast and somewhat unsettling, like a momentary ghost town. Most of the lights were on motion detectors you know; and sometimes an entire corridor would light up just for you; or the moving walkway would start as you approach it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 23, 2017, 07:49:41 PM
Back when I drove limos, before 9/11 when you could go through security without a ticket, I used to like the airport in the very early hours, when almost nobody was there. It was vast and somewhat unsettling, like a momentary ghost town. Most of the lights were on motion detectors you know; and sometimes an entire corridor would light up just for you; or the moving walkway would start as you approach it.

Momentary ghost town.  I like that description.

Reminds me of late nights at the office.  When there'd be no one in the office but me, maybe one other person, and the security guard.  Occasionally the cleaning crew.  But not at like 1-2AM.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FoMoJo

Soup DeVille

Gee, nobody noticed my last watch; I'll get a bigger one this time!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 24, 2017, 07:46:02 AM
Gee, nobody noticed my last watch; I'll get a bigger one this time!

It's actually not that big.  43mm.  Not small, but not that big. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

I absolutely love the design on it.  I'm not sure how it works still exactly. The inner hands are the chrono?  What tells the time?  The outer indicator is the hour, but where are the minute and second hands?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Hours is the outermost ring (index line at bottom of dial).  Minutes is a concentric ring just inside of that (using the same index marker).  I don't believe there's a running seconds hand or readout.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on August 24, 2017, 07:54:47 AM
It's actually not that big.  43mm.  Not small, but not that big. 

If that's 43mm, he dude wearing it has one of those atrophied mutant arms, or is a very hairy four year old.

veeman

Quote from: 93JC on August 23, 2017, 04:28:19 PM
Yeah, obviously that made the local news here and went over about as well as one would expect. No one likes the Calgary Intl. Airport anymore, the Airport Authority turned into bloodsucking SOBs a while ago.

It used to be you could park in "short-term" parking for no cost if you were there for less than half an hour. It was great at keeping vehicular traffic on the arrivals level to a minimum. Now it's $3.75 for the first half-hour, $4.75 for the next half-hour, and $8.49 for every hour thereafter. And by that I mean if you stay for 31 minutes you get charged $3.75 for the first 30 minutes and $4.75 for the last one. The short-term lot now sits mostly empty because everyone balks at the cost, and the traffic on the arrivals level is a colossal clusterfuck.

Want to take a cab? They sold "exclusive rights" to fare pickups to Associated Cabs, and charge an additional $4.50 fee for every pickup from the airport.

Want to take Uber? They're not allowed to pick you up at the arrivals level, you have to go to a "waiting area" (read: shitty parking lot) to find your driver.

They opened a new international terminal last year, but didn't provide any drinking fountains in it and had minimal seating at the gates. They didn't want you to wait at the gate for your departure: they wanted you to wait for your flight nearer the centre of the terminal, where all the shops are. You have to go through all the duty-free shops to get the departure gates; I don't mean walking past the shops, I mean walking right through the middle of the shops, through aisles of shelving.

The airport are a bunch of money-grubbing cocksuckers.

I didn't know people use drinking fountains anymore.  I don't think I've used one in the past 10 years.  The whole parking thing seems to be emulating American airports, which is a bad thing.  They don't charge family members/friends for drop off or picking up though, I hope. 

cawimmer430

Who wants a Cadillac pillow?  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

93JC

Quote from: veeman on August 24, 2017, 08:42:10 AM
I didn't know people use drinking fountains anymore.  I don't think I've used one in the past 10 years.

Still fairly common here. Modern ones have bottle-filling spigots on them:

QuoteThey don't charge family members/friends for drop off or picking up though, I hope. 

Not yet!