Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

MexicoCityM3

https://mtowntour.bmwusa.com/

In case any of you is interested in test driving any of these: X3M, M340i, M5 Comp, M2 Comp, M850i
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

AutobahnSHO

guy at work has new Volvo small SUV thing. Very handsome red with big roof. Of course the other co-worker was admiring the ginormous screen.

Like seriously, is that what consists of car buying now? Forget the vehicle, just buy a screen with wheels?....
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 29, 2019, 07:12:12 PM
guy at work has new Volvo small SUV thing. Very handsome red with big roof. Of course the other co-worker was admiring the ginormous screen.

Like seriously, is that what consists of car buying now? Forget the vehicle, just buy a screen with wheels?....

Oh! The next big thing! Instead of rollin on DUBS, guys are gonna be putting big screens and movie projectors on their shit.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on April 29, 2019, 03:08:18 PM
Performance adds capability.
Capability to what end? Any compact car can manage 80MPH or so at a grade. What more does one need?

Quote from: r0tor on April 29, 2019, 03:08:18 PMTaking a uconnect display meant for a 6-8" screen and spacing everything out and leaving tons of empty space so it fits a gigantic screen does nothing... and then the morons couldn't be smart and use a dark or black background on the pages so instead they use a light gray which blinds you at night
These are all fair points, but would be equally bad on an equally huge horizontal screen, which would also be worse for navigation.

Truthfully, it's time for the monster HUD. To hell with windshield repair costs.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 29, 2019, 07:12:12 PM

Yup, yup, yup! It's sad
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

I sort of laugh at the reviews of Giulia that bitch about the screen glare... Wtf are they paying attention to the screen so much that it warrants bitches?  It basically is only used for radio, nav, and backup camera - and the radio station and nav directions are duplicated in the main gauge cluster plus redundant physical buttons for the radio

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on April 30, 2019, 01:55:23 PM
Yup, yup, yup! It's sad

Apple has destroyed rational consumer behavior (or what was left of it)
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

Idk why you guys hate screens so much. I love touch screens etc in modern cars.

I feel like this is a real generational gap thing; most people my age don't actually care that much mostly because we're used to processing things on social media and screens much quicker than older people. It PAINS me to see how SLOWLY many people interact with their smartphones and on social media.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: r0tor on April 27, 2019, 08:21:53 PM
My uncle just got a new Ram truck... The screen in that thing is just so fucking obnoxious - especially at night.  Also it's about 90% worthless and completely unneeded.
Speak of the Devil........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I-T58QO43o
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on April 30, 2019, 04:08:55 PM

I feel like this is a real generational gap thing; most people my age don't actually care that much mostly because we're used to processing things on social media and screens much quicker than older people. It PAINS me to see how SLOWLY many people interact with their smartphones and on social media.

After spending a week with touch screen-only infotainment in the Jetta, I have determined that both a touch screen as well as physical controls are very clearly the ideal configuration. I found myself wishing for physical buttons for certain things (such as quickly switching between music and navigation on Android Auto), but other actions are more complicated and better suited for touch screen. It's not a big enough deal that it would be a primary factor in choosing a car though. And I have no issues at all with touch screen phones.

That said, most of the world has always cared about interior comfort over most other things in a car anyway, so I don't find it surprising that fancy infotainment has taken the lead there.

r0tor

It pains me to watch people use social media
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 30, 2019, 04:35:12 PM
After spending a week with touch screen-only infotainment in the Jetta, I have determined that both a touch screen as well as physical controls are very clearly the ideal configuration. I found myself wishing for physical buttons for certain things (such as quickly switching between music and navigation on Android Auto), but other actions are more complicated and better suited for touch screen. It's not a big enough deal that it would be a primary factor in choosing a car though. And I have no issues at all with touch screen phones.

That said, most of the world has always cared about interior comfort over most other things in a car anyway, so I don't find it surprising that fancy infotainment has taken the lead there.

Try to use a smartphone without looking at it

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on April 30, 2019, 06:17:09 PM

I think using navigation or maps on the dash unit works better with some kind of touch interface.  Pinch to zoom and swiping to pan is just very intuitive.  However, this is not the sort of activity one should undertake while actually driving.  Rather, it's something you do before embarking or you pull over to do.

Most other controls (stereo, HVAC for systems that integrate that functionality into the display) that one might actually use while on the move should be handled with physical buttons and knobs.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

That's pretty easy. Even still, I don't know if anyone who uses the radio without glancing at it.

FoMoJo

Exactly.  It takes me forever to create a text message.  I haven't even tried using my thumbs.  I can't even see the little keyboard if my thumbs are in the way.  I use my index finger and more often than not, get the wrong key; or two at once.  Miserable little pieces of annoyance.

On the other hand, I like the touch screen in my car; especially when putting in the nav info.  Got buttons and knobs as well for other stuff.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

Quote from: 2o6 on April 30, 2019, 07:54:13 PM

That's pretty easy. Even still, I don't know if anyone who uses the radio without glancing at it.

I use the steering wheel buttons to control the radio.  Don't have to look at them.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

Can you elaborate? I don't understand the point you're trying to make.

Quote from: MX793 on April 30, 2019, 07:47:44 PM
I think using navigation or maps on the dash unit works better with some kind of touch interface.  Pinch to zoom and swiping to pan is just very intuitive.  However, this is not the sort of activity one should undertake while actually driving.  Rather, it's something you do before embarking or you pull over to do.

Most other controls (stereo, HVAC for systems that integrate that functionality into the display) that one might actually use while on the move should be handled with physical buttons and knobs.

Volume and HVAC should 100% be physical controls.

As a specific example of something that I use while driving that is definitely better on a touchscreen: On Google Music through Android Auto, I like to thumbs up/thumbs down songs, which is a function specific to that app. It would be unreasonable to expect physical buttons for that specific purpose, and using a wheel to scroll through the various buttons on the screen would definitely require more time with my eyes off the road than quickly tapping two icons (though the interface could be improved so that it only requires one tap, which would be even better).

BimmerM3

I find that, with physical controls, it's a shorter glance. The glance gets you close, then you can feel the rest of the way there. With a touch screen you have to look the whole time. Again, it's not a big enough deal that I'd buy or not buy a car solely for that reason, but I do notice the difference.

Soup DeVille

Never used to, when it had buttons for presets.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Pictured: CarSPINNers adjusting their radios  :devil:

https://youtu.be/vjuQs5mEHmw?t=10

Soup DeVille

Fat? C'mon man, you're supposed to go for old and out of touch.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

I like nav and backup camera, but actual tactile controls for everything else.

r0tor

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 30, 2019, 08:08:46 PM
Can you elaborate? I don't understand the point you're trying to make.

Volume and HVAC should 100% be physical controls.

As a specific example of something that I use while driving that is definitely better on a touchscreen: On Google Music through Android Auto, I like to thumbs up/thumbs down songs, which is a function specific to that app. It would be unreasonable to expect physical buttons for that specific purpose, and using a wheel to scroll through the various buttons on the screen would definitely require more time with my eyes off the road than quickly tapping two icons (though the interface could be improved so that it only requires one tap, which would be even better).

I can "thumbs up" songs through the infotainment knob with Android auto just fine... and without having to really look as the main focus of the app it play/pause and one click to the left is thumbs down and one to the right is thumbs up

giant_mtb

That Rich Rebuilds Tesla guy is the latest guest on the JRE podcast.

giant_mtb

I swear Doug DeMuro acts retarded on purpose just to piss me off. 

10:50. Yeah, Doug, the whole point of the "paper clip" symbol is because they want you to store paper clips there.  :facepalm:

https://youtu.be/4I-T58QO43o

cawimmer430

The 360° camera is practical in the car wash for finding the perfect central spot...  :tounge:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 01, 2019, 09:01:11 AM
I swear Doug DeMuro acts retarded on purpose just to piss me off. 

10:50. Yeah, Doug, the whole point of the "paper clip" symbol is because they want you to store paper clips there.  :facepalm:

F*ck. That's gotta affect the Doug Score.  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Driving my mom's Q5 downstate. Had the windows cracked. A message pops up on the screen between the speedo/tach:  Economy Tip: Air Resistance, Keep Windows Closed

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 04, 2019, 12:49:37 PM
Driving my mom's Q5 downstate. Had the windows cracked. A message pops up on the screen between the speedo/tach:  Economy Tip: Air Resistance, Keep Windows Closed

:rolleyes:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV