Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

giant_mtb

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on May 07, 2019, 05:38:56 PM
AHHHH Lord Of The Rings?

Yup.  I thought I was clever since the Audi symbol is:

and I'm a big LOTR fan.

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

dazzleman

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on May 07, 2019, 05:38:56 PM
AHHHH Lord Of The Rings?

The movie has special significance for him.   He was watching it the first time he got laid.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on May 07, 2019, 07:14:02 PM
The movie has special significance for him.   He was watching it the first time he got laid.

Just don't ask him about glamdring.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: dazzleman on May 07, 2019, 07:14:02 PM

It's true.  I'm surprised you remember that fucking amazing factoid. :lol:

Not sure if that was the point where I fell in love with LOTR or if it was some time after that, but obviously it has always played a special place in my........heart.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 07, 2019, 06:28:59 PM
Yup.  I thought I was clever since the Audi symbol is:

and I'm a big LOTR fan.
Gotcha!

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 07, 2019, 07:34:58 PM

Not sure if that was the point where I fell in love with LOTR or if it was some time after that, but obviously it has always played a special place in my........heart.
WOW!  :cheers:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

dazzleman

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 07, 2019, 07:34:58 PM

How could I forget something like that?  It''s legendary.... :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

giant_mtb

AutobahnSHO

Will

giant_mtb

Speaking of, this was one of the last pictures I took/posted on my FB page of said Audi.  She's been gone for four years now.

Galaxy

I always found your LOTR plate for the A4 neat.

giant_mtb

Mazda key fobs are made by Mitsubishi Electric.

12,000 RPM

I know ConservativeSPIN hates Gawker but I thought this was an interesting piece on Uber

https://gizmodo.com/how-corporate-delusions-of-automation-fuel-the-cruelty-1834627595

When are people going to wake up to the reality that autonomous driving isn't coming soon, and on the off chance it is, shitshows like Uber and Lyft won't be our entry points? I thought analysts were smaaht.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Why are people still driving for those companies? I'd find a new job if they aren't paying well. Play your free market card.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 09, 2019, 11:45:45 AM
Why are people still driving for those companies? I'd find a new job if they aren't paying well. Play your free market card.

Maybe it's their best available employment option? :\
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

93JC

I hate Gawker because they were peddlers of paparazzi-level schlock, and I'm not a member of "ConservativeSPIN".

That said, the drivers have no bargaining power whatsoever and they really are "meatbag placeholders" until/if they get the autonomous driving figured out. It takes barely any qualifications to become a driver for either of these services; most people with a driver's licence could do it. Taxi companies lobbied municipal governments to create 'medallion' systems so that cities wouldn't be burgeoning with an oversupply of cabbies making pennies per hour of their time. Uber and Lyft are not "rideshare" companies: they're unregulated cab companies trying their damnedest to rid themselves of the "meatbag placeholders".

Personally I think what really needs work on a government level is setting the bar for qualifications very, very high. All cabbies should have to go through something like London's "Knowledge" test.

2o6

The economy isn't doing anywhere near as good as we're told. Other jobs don't pay well, and even as a side gig "ridesharing" makes little se she.

I'm glad I got a top comment on the Jalopnik article yesterday.

2o6

I've been posting about how shitty ride sharing is BS on Facebook for the past day.

Here's an out of context rant I made because I don't feel like typing this out again

" Lyft announced a partnership with Waymo (self driving car company) and Uber released language that they fully expect drivers to become increasingly disatisfied with the service as time goes on.

Anyways, I'm here to say that the "self driving car is going to make the make the driver obsolete" rationale

1. Autonomous driving technology isn't there yet, and it's not clear if it ever will be. Tesla had to walk back it's "autopilot" claims. Tesla's autopilot has literally killed people because of issues with path finding, agent detection, and simple electrical/mechanical issues. GM's "super cruise" is considered the best autonomous system out right now, and GM is very adamant that it's more of a heavily assisted cruise control; not true autonomous driving.

2. Even if we pretend, or somehow that autonomous driving somehow has a breakthrough in the next six months - Autonomous driving usually is synonymous with mass EV adoption, and we don't have the infrastructure for this.

How many lyft and Uber vehicles do you think there are in your city? Dozens?

Naw, hundreds or even thousands.

Where are you going to charge them?

Do you know how EXPENSIVE real estate in a big city would be for this? Can you picture having a huge charging yard for lyft and Uber cars in...San Francisco? The land value alone would be astronomical; not even counting the power bill and staffing required to run the place.

3. Considering the above point; Lyft and Uber only "make money" (generate revenue, more accurately) because the maintenance and care of the vehicle is passed onto the driver.

I have literally put 100k miles on my car since I bought it in 2016.

I've gone through three sets of tires; two of those sets were due to wear. One set I lost due to winter potholes.

I get away with driving for so long because I either fix my own car, or can pay my friends much cheaper rates than if I were getting my car serviced at a dealer.

4. "oh, well electric vehicles are cheaper and less complex, and the lyft and Uber autonomous cars will be electric!"

Cool. People don't realize that electric vehicles still have issues inherent to being a car? They still have suspension, tires, axles, and other things that periodically need to be checked and maintained?

Who's going to do this?

Lyft and Uber are going to need to pay people to service and care for their vehicles; auto mechanics are a skilled trade; their base rate is likely higher than that of a driver.

5. Where are you going to charge this fleet of autonomous electric cars? Who's going to plug them in?

You have several hundred cars that are electric - where and who plugs them in for the required 5-8 hours?

Not only will lyft and Uber need a physical dispatch/logistics person to coordinate the charging and release of vehicles, they would literally need someone to physically plug in said vehicles.

(see: Car2Go and why Daimler partnered up with BMW's reach now after shrinking and pulling out of many markets)

6. Passengers are dirty and disrespectful. With an unmanned car, what's stopping these cars from becoming a public toilet? Who's going to check and clean them?

(I air my car out between every ride, and I generally do a wipe down of hard surfaces every 5th ride or so)

Please think with your head. "Autonomous driving" replacing you is something these large corporations have conjured up to scare you so they can justify taking more money."

giant_mtb

I've been laughing at the idea of autonomous cars since..........the whole time! :lol:

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 2o6 on May 09, 2019, 12:55:35 PM
...GM's "super cruise" is considered the best autonomous system out right now, and GM is very adamant that it's more of a heavily assisted cruise control; not true autonomous driving.

I don't disagree with your overarching point. This sentence piqued my curiosity though...I haven't heard of GM's super cruise. Is this on the Bolt?

giant_mtb

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 09, 2019, 01:03:35 PM
I don't disagree with your overarching point. This sentence piqued my curiosity though...I haven't heard of GM's super cruise. Is this on the Bolt?

AFAIK, it's only on Cadillacs right now?  Could be wrong.

2o6

I also think the "economy is doing well" is a myth. Wages are flat as shit, and the places that have all the jobs have high cost of living, so your wages have less buying power than ever before.

12,000 RPM

Economy is doing well for an increasingly smaller slice of the population. Shit like the stock market and even GDP growth is irrelevant to the average American, but those are 2 of the 3 metrics used to guide the economy (the other one being inflation). I posted a jump off point for looking at the economy more broadly but some folks here REALLY did not like it
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on May 09, 2019, 11:56:20 AM
I hate Gawker because they were peddlers of paparazzi-level schlock, and I'm not a member of "ConservativeSPIN".

That said, the drivers have no bargaining power whatsoever and they really are "meatbag placeholders" until/if they get the autonomous driving figured out. It takes barely any qualifications to become a driver for either of these services; most people with a driver's licence could do it. Taxi companies lobbied municipal governments to create 'medallion' systems so that cities wouldn't be burgeoning with an oversupply of cabbies making pennies per hour of their time. Uber and Lyft are not "rideshare" companies: they're unregulated cab companies trying their damnedest to rid themselves of the "meatbag placeholders".

Personally I think what really needs work on a government level is setting the bar for qualifications very, very high. All cabbies should have to go through something like London's "Knowledge" test.

The complaints that lead to the strike are two fold:

Over saturation of drivers in large markets that lead to fewer rides for all is part of it...but

Rate cuts, and surge pricing removal (just for the driver, mind you) is another big one.

In Columbus, I'm paid $0.875 a mile. San Francisco makes a paltry $0.91 a mile.

Orlando gets a borderline criminal $0.59 a mile.

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 09, 2019, 01:14:19 PM
Economy is doing well for an increasingly smaller slice of the population. Shit like the stock market and even GDP growth is irrelevant to the average American, but those are 2 of the 3 metrics used to guide the economy (the other one being inflation). I posted a jump off point for looking at the economy more broadly but some folks here REALLY did not like it

It's obvious; I mean sales of cars (particularly cheap models) are flat.

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on May 09, 2019, 01:20:24 PM
Orlando gets a borderline criminal $0.59 a mile.

:wtf:

That's barely above the federal mileage reimbursement rate ($0.58).

giant_mtb

Autonomous cars...what's more boring than driving a long freeway slog in a normal car?  Not actually having to give any inputs, yet you still have to keep a hand on the wheel and your eyes on the road or else the car will yell at you...this shit is so dummmmmb.  Excuse me, sir, please stop looking at the scenery, the car may be driving for you, but I still require the majority of your attention to be on the road. 

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 09, 2019, 01:23:54 PM
:wtf:

That's barely above the federal mileage reimbursement rate ($0.58).

They get paid per minute too, but yes.

And also, that's in Lyft and Uber's IPO releases, last I checked. They want the entire country at the IRS reimbursement rate.