Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 28, 2019, 04:53:29 PM
I was thinking of making some connecting rods for Dakota in case I put a turbo on it. Maybe later I can cast some dished pistons. :lol:
The next Burt Munro.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 28, 2019, 05:01:03 PM
The next Burt Munro.

The world's fastest Dakota ... which happens to be an Indian tribe. :lol:
Righy now, I think it's the world's slowest Dakota. I'm jist glad it has ice cold AC and good sounding stereo. So unthusiast.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 28, 2019, 04:27:44 PM
I would love to build a little forge and play with some burning metal. It's on my list of things.

Same
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

It looks like we need to have a Carspin Forge Timeshare. I'll build it in my backyard and you guys can pay for it. :cheers:

r0tor

Can we you your lungs to filter out all the heavy metals in the fumes?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on May 28, 2019, 06:49:24 PM
Can we you your lungs to filter out all the heavy metals in the fumes?

South Carolina does not mind. In fact, they will give me a huge tax break for emitting toxic, industrial fumes.

Soup DeVille

This explains many South Carolinians.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Galaxy

Did a bit of googling about Millennials. One the one hand  they do have debt problems, a lot of it because of student loans, on the other hand 23% of American Millionaires are Millennials. That is remarkable considering most people reach the height of their financial power later on in life.   

FoMoJo

Quote from: Galaxy on May 29, 2019, 09:29:40 AM
Did a bit of googling about Millennials. One the one hand  they do have debt problems, a lot of it because of student loans, on the other hand 23% of American Millionaires are Millennials. That is remarkable considering most people reach the height of their financial power later on in life.   
Millennials, imo, are a mixed batch, as is any generation.  However, it seems that they lean more towards inclusion than any generation so far.  A good thing.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

2o6

Generational wealth and branding.

The Kardashian clan is insipid, but they def were smart enough to spin their infamy into a multi billion dollar empire. Kylie and Kim are both billionaires.

Back in 2008, Kim Kardashian was literally a glorified personal assistant and celebrity clothes reseller.

I think the wage discrepancy is much more stratified in millennials

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on May 29, 2019, 09:48:59 AM
Generational wealth and branding.

The Kardashian clan is insipid, but they def were smart enough to spin their infamy into a multi billion dollar empire. Kylie and Kim are both billionaires.

Back in 2008, Kim Kardashian was literally a glorified personal assistant and celebrity clothes reseller.

I think the wage discrepancy is much more stratified in millennials

There was a lot of money in the tech boom prior to the recession.  Particularly in software and computer engineering fields.  There were stories abound of kids leaving college with a degree in computer science and 6 figure starting salaries in the early/mid 2000s (which would have been the first wave of Millennials).  Fast forward 15 or so years later, and if they were smart with their money it's not inconceivable those individuals would have net worths north of a million.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BimmerM3

Because millennials saw what happened to older generations in 2008 (and somewhat so during the dot-com crash in early 00s), so those who have money are better at saving/investing. The "financially independent/retire early" movement has blown up over the past 5-10 years.

Soup DeVille

Should I worry about my A/C being extra "drippy?" I mean, all ACs cause condensation on the evap can, but on the Land Cruiser it seems like way more than any vehicle I've ever had. Yes, its all just water, and the AC works great, its just kind of excessive.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 29, 2019, 07:20:45 PM
Should I worry about my A/C being extra "drippy?" I mean, all ACs cause condensation on the evap can, but on the Land Cruiser it seems like way more than any vehicle I've ever had. Yes, its all just water, and the AC works great, its just kind of excessive.

Don't worry about it.

Eye of the Tiger

I would collect the drippings and send them to lab for analysis.

FoMoJo

Could it be that there's just a lot of humidity in the air?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 29, 2019, 07:59:45 PM
Could it be that there's just a lot of humidity in the air?

Maybe, but not according to the weather channel

93JC

Nope, nothing unusual about it.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 29, 2019, 07:45:32 PM
I would collect the drippings and send them to lab for analysis.

tastes fine.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 29, 2019, 08:19:01 PM
tastes fine.

What happens if you whisk in some sifted flour and add a dash of salt?

12,000 RPM

Ford n GM talking about merging

RIP company that sells the Calvin peeing on logo stickers

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/gm-merger-with-ford-looks-more-likely-2019-05-28
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

Hard to imagine. :frown:

Eye of the Tiger

Nope. Can't do.

r0tor

GM/Ford were too big to let fail 10 years ago... But are they also too big to merge?

Eye of the Tiger

Why is Ford going to shit? Oh yeah, they cut half of their cars, replaced a perfectly good Fiesta with a third world, shit crossover, rolled out a $25000 Ranger with only one drivetrain option, tried to market a turbo 4 as a premium option to a V8 in the Mustang, Powershit transmissions, umm ...

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on May 30, 2019, 12:10:52 PM
GM/Ford were too big to let fail 10 years ago... But are they also too big to merge?
Link froze before I could go back to it... who said they are too big to merge?

Truthfully I kind of see the whole auto industry becoming like the PC industry.... this Toyota Supra shit has me thinking companies will be cool ditching their internal powerplant divisions for the commodity stuff and just getting generic 2.0Ts and the like from 2-3 suppliers

Def more collaboration on platforms and electrification as well

Market can't sustain 15+ widget makers which is about all most vehicles are these days.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 30, 2019, 12:23:35 PM
Link froze before I could go back to it... who said they are too big to merge?

Truthfully I kind of see the whole auto industry becoming like the PC industry.... this Toyota Supra shit has me thinking companies will be cool ditching their internal powerplant divisions for the commodity stuff and just getting generic 2.0Ts and the like from 2-3 suppliers

Def more collaboration on platforms and electrification as well

Market can't sustain 15+ widget makers which is about all most vehicles are these days.

Omfg, everything is going to have the same 2.0T and 8 speed automatic. :lockedup: :lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 30, 2019, 11:55:35 AM
Ford n GM talking about merging

RIP company that sells the Calvin peeing on logo stickers

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/gm-merger-with-ford-looks-more-likely-2019-05-28

I don't see anything in the article that says this is an actual conversation between Ford and GM...it just sounds like a speculation or for-instance from the author...?

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger