Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 02, 2019, 04:28:56 PM
Agreed. Market needs more real luxury cars instead of BMW clones.

"Real luxury cars" sell horribly, as the Lincoln Continental would demonstrate.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

shp4man

Quote from: MX793 on June 02, 2019, 04:35:45 PM

Due to marketing failures? Who wouldn't want a luxury car? Maybe a younger performance enthusiast- not really the demographic.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 02, 2019, 04:28:56 PM
Agreed. Market needs more real luxury cars instead of BMW clones.

Everything out there feels so firm and hard edged, or whatever. Nothing out there feels like a livingroom sofa floating in a pond.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

It's all out there, man. And yet, nothing is out there.

MX793

Quote from: shp4man on June 02, 2019, 05:29:55 PM
Due to marketing failures? Who wouldn't want a luxury car? Maybe a younger performance enthusiast- not really the demographic.

Because the younger demographic either wants a sportier car or, if they are getting something spacious that will totally isolate from the road, they get an SUV.  Lincoln and Caddy SUVs have sold well for years and years.  Their cars have suffered, whether floaty and isolating or sporty and hard edged.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

The younger demographics are too damn poor to afford luxury cars. When you graduate with student loan headwinds in the 5 to 6 digit range, what you're getting is a used economy car.

Who's left? Families (need seven seats for their newborn baby => Suburban), old people (want to sit up high because of my hips)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on June 02, 2019, 06:52:11 PM
The younger demographics are too damn poor to afford luxury cars. When you graduate with student loan headwinds in the 5 to 6 digit range, what you're getting is a used economy car.

Who's left? Families (need seven seats for their newborn baby => Suburban), old people (want to sit up high because of my hips)

"Younger" in the realm of luxury buyers isn't "younger" of all car buyers.  Younger luxury buyers are late 30s or early 40s.
Needs more Jiggawatts

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on June 02, 2019, 04:35:45 PM
If you want a luxury car, you want status.  Cadillac and Lincoln aren't status anymore.  They may be as good, but they aren't status.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 02, 2019, 07:31:58 PM
If you want a luxury car, you want status.  Cadillac and Lincoln aren't status anymore.  They may be as good, but they aren't status.

Also true.  Years of peddling warmed over garbage didn't do them any favors.  Status is something that's difficult to establish, very easily lost, and even harder to re-establish once a reputation has been tarnished.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2o6

I don't think "Chasing BMW" is what fucked up cadillac.

Cadillac doesn't have any compelling design language or cachet inside and out. Their interior are so fucking bland. The outside shapes are equally bland.

12,000 RPM

I think the two are tied together. If they could have, they'd have benchmarked a 1999 328i and made a compelling design. They had limited resources and were forced to choose.... and made the wrong choice.

I still contend that a really good looking, optionally electrified Malibu would have been the better way forward. New luxury car buyers are abandoning sportiness in droves. :(
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

veeman

A few decades ago, a lot of people switched from Mercedes to Lexus for their sedans.  Mercedes was having big reliability woes, especially electrical, and they were getting really expensive.  Lexus didn't offer a better looking or better driving product.  They were cheaper at the point of sale and were more reliable.  The people who switched never looked back.

Cadillac tried to compete on product alone.  Build a better German sedan. And they came close.  But they didn't offer anything else to win over customers like Lexus did.  They should have offered a long warranty like Hyundai and guaranteed a certain trade in value based on vehicle condition.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

giant_mtb

Wait.  So a VW Routan is basically a Grand Caravan??  I had no idea.

Doing an interior on one today and the guy just dropped it off...hands me the key and I'm like wtf this is a Cryzler key fob...go look at the vehicle.  Yup, this is a Grand Caravan. lol

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 03, 2019, 10:58:01 AM
Wait.  So a VW Routan is basically a Grand Caravan??  I had no idea.

Doing an interior on one today and the guy just dropped it off...hands me the key and I'm like wtf this is a Cryzler key fob...go look at the vehicle.  Yup, this is a Grand Caravan. lol

Yes :lol: :zzz:

cawimmer430

BMW and Mercedes-Benz; eternal rivals.   :pullover:

BMW Driver Smashes Into Emergency Vehicle In Germany

The driver of a silver E90 BMW 3-Series sedan failed to slow down in time to allow an emergency services van safe passage through an intersection in the German city of Leverkusen, resulting in a serious crash.

The accident took place last week on May 31st, as footage was posted online courtesy of Blaulicht Dusseldorf. According to the description of the video, people intervened to provide first aid to those in need.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAMeK5UqJgg

Was there an emergency?

Well, we can only assume that was the case, since the DRK vehicle had its sirens on and carefully attempted to make its way past the intersection. By the way, DRK stands for Deutsche Rotes Kreuz, or German Red Cross, which accounts for 60% of the country's emergency medical services.

Unfortunately, the video's description doesn't provide any details, but we can only hope that nobody was seriously harmed, despite the violent nature of the impact.

Regardless if the BMW was speeding over the limit, in the end, this just goes to show how dangerous it is to not instinctively reduce speed when approaching an intersection, even if you have a green light.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/06/bmw-driver-smashes-into-emergency-vehicle-in-germany/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

I can imagine a bit of whiplash for those guys in the emergency vehicle.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 03, 2019, 10:59:45 AM
Yes :lol: :zzz:

Except it doesn't have 2nd row Stow n' Go seating...so it's a Caravan, with a VW badge (ie, more expensive), without one of the most useful/sought-after features of the Caravan... :nutty:

Soup DeVille

Stow n Go was shitty anyways.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 03, 2019, 02:48:10 PM

Because the seats are less comfortable?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 03, 2019, 02:58:25 PM
Because the seats are less comfortable?

Yes, and the under foot compartments collect all sorts of nastiness in the winter.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 03, 2019, 03:23:18 PM
Yes, and the under foot compartments collect all sorts of nastiness in the winter.

Yeah, I imagine. I want a non-stow-n-go van. I want captain chairs in the middle row. Fuck, I want a van.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 03, 2019, 02:48:10 PM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 03, 2019, 03:23:18 PM

As somebody who cleans the shit people let their kids do in cars, I disagree.  I'll take the mess from kids + Stow 'n Go over the mess from kids + Chevy Traverse middle seat rails any day of the week.  GM fucked up hard with those...I dunno who the hell tested those vehicles, but it clearly wasn't anybody with kids.  Their fore/aft sliding rails for the middle row get completely gummed up with shit to the point where some people's seats won't even move. lol

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 03, 2019, 03:28:51 PM
Yeah, I imagine. I want a non-stow-n-go van. I want captain chairs in the middle row. Fuck, I want a van.

VAN
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

BimmerM3

I rented a van with stow-n-go for a music festival a few years ago, and we found it extremely useful as additional storage room, but that's my only actual experience with it.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: BimmerM3 on June 03, 2019, 03:36:48 PM
I rented a van with stow-n-go for a music festival a few years ago, and we found it extremely useful as additional storage room, but that's my only actual experience with it.

Makeshift in-floor beer coolers?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 03, 2019, 03:38:06 PM

Maybe you store your clothes in there, like your pair of Bad Idea Jeans.

BimmerM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 03, 2019, 03:38:06 PM

Nah, we had actual coolers for that. :lol:

But with 6 adults + camping gear + food and stuff, it definitely came in handy.

Eye of the Tiger

I just want a dog van. Take out the middle row, and dogs can chill.