Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on August 01, 2019, 09:39:13 AM
Or a city with a good public transit system.  But you generally need pretty high density to support that.  Such systems lose cost efficiency with sprawl

Public transit would be insane if nobody had cars. It would be just as bad, traffic-wise.

giant_mtb

Speaking of traffic.  They're putting a couple roundabouts in at one of the busiest areas of the county, so, construction.  Traffic is a nightmare...backups for 3+ miles, hour+ wait.  So now everybody suddenly knows what the backroads are, so those are all clogged up...and I always take the back roads because fuck the highway.  But not anymore.  It's at the point where it'll be easier to take the damn ORV trail to get to Walmart. :facepalm: :lol:

(it'll be nice when it's done, though)

NomisR

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 01, 2019, 09:58:03 AM
Speaking of traffic.  They're putting a couple roundabouts in at one of the busiest areas of the county, so, construction.  Traffic is a nightmare...backups for 3+ miles, hour+ wait.  So now everybody suddenly knows what the backroads are, so those are all clogged up...and I always take the back roads because fuck the highway.  But not anymore.  It's at the point where it'll be easier to take the damn ORV trail to get to Walmart. :facepalm: :lol:

There'll be massive traffic jams at the traffic circle because people don't know how to use them or properly signal. 

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 01, 2019, 09:58:03 AM

There is a big intersection near us that is begging for a roundabout, but they would damn near have to make a side road through someone's private wooded lot to make it. There are other ways around though. I'd much prefer the roundabout vs the light they are planning.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: NomisR on August 01, 2019, 09:59:43 AM
There'll be massive traffic jams at the traffic circle because people don't know how to use them or properly signal. 

There are four roundabouts in this area now (soon to be 6), all within the last 4-5 years, and they've worked wonders for the intersections they replaced.  BUT, yeah, you still have to deal with fucktards.  I'd say about 50% of the time I go through one, somebody is doing something wrong/stupid.  I'm okay with people being cautious with them - as annoying as it may be - but some people just simply don't understand the flow and fuck it up.  I am always glad I have a dash cam when I approach.

I hate Marquette (the "big city") more and more all the time, when it comes to driving.  I much prefer cruising through the woods with a Busch Latte in my hand.

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 01, 2019, 09:54:13 AM
Public transit would be insane if nobody had cars. It would be just as bad, traffic-wise.

Tokyo at rush hour is a marvel. Super crowded, still moves fluidly.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

NomisR

Quote from: Laconian on August 01, 2019, 10:16:11 AM
Tokyo at rush hour is a marvel. Super crowded, still moves fluidly.

Unless you have kids.  Young kids is not compatible with big city life in general.

giant_mtb

Quote from: NomisR on August 01, 2019, 10:22:51 AM
Unless you have kids.  Young kids is not compatible with big city life in general.

Young kids are not compatible with anything. :lol:

NomisR

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 01, 2019, 10:26:01 AM
Young kids are not compatible with anything. :lol:

Yeah, you can at least do it better with a car.  Or slower pace small town life, big cities trying to get them into a subway in places like Tokyo, good luck.

giant_mtb

Quote from: NomisR on August 01, 2019, 10:31:16 AM
Yeah, you can at least do it better with a car.  Or slower pace small town life, big cities trying to get them into a subway in places like Tokyo, good luck.

Life is just way easier and simpler in a small town.  I don't know how people deal with city life.  But I'm not an "energy" kind of person, and to each their own.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: NomisR on August 01, 2019, 09:59:43 AM

Americans constantly say that but I've never seen drivers have problems with roundabouts. :huh:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 01, 2019, 10:43:15 AM
Americans constantly say that but I've never seen drivers have problems with roundabouts. :huh:

It's usually just small problems, just like any intersection.  Somebody hesitates when they could've/should've gone, etc.

NomisR

There's not that many around here, most are small and people have small problems with those but could get buy.  I found one in the city of Long Beach, that's 4 lanes with 6 streets going into it, and I know people that avoid it because they're scared of it.  When I was looking for an apartment in that area, the apartment managers specifically mentioned that I may go through the traffic circled in case I want to avoid it saying it's a problem with a lot of people.

Soup DeVille

Except nobody signals at them.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 01, 2019, 10:57:17 AM

That's the biggest thing.  Signaling your intended path helps a lot with flow, so long as others are paying attention to it.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 01, 2019, 10:57:17 AM

And I've never seen that to cause much problem. Obviously it's nice when Europeans signal, but American roundabouts are normally placed in different locations than European roundabouts and they're not nearly as busy, so signalling isn't as big of a deal.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 01, 2019, 11:53:44 AM
And I've never seen that to cause much problem. Obviously it's nice when Europeans signal, but American roundabouts are normally placed in different locations than European roundabouts and they're not nearly as busy, so signalling isn't as big of a deal.

I've seen occasional near-misses.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

I think one lane roundabouts can work in the US. Anything beyond that, forget about it.

They work really well here. I shudder to think what all the roundabouts would be like as traffic lights.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

We have two-lane roundabouts in the countryside and they work fine. There are big painted diagrams on the road indicating which exits can be accessed by the outer radius, and which exits can be accessed by the inner radius.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

HurricaneSteve

In other news VW is apparently retracting the 6 year/72K warranty starting 2020. Instead it'll be 5 years plus 2 free years of maintenance.

Galaxy

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on August 01, 2019, 02:07:05 PM
In other news VW is apparently retracting the 6 year/72K warranty starting 2020. Instead it'll be 5 years plus 2 free years of maintenance.

Still better then most of their competition (I think Kia/Hyundai are the only ones who have more) still, one can not help but think that this decision was based on them being shocked at how expensive it is to keep their cars on the road.   :mask:

MX793

Quote from: Galaxy on August 01, 2019, 02:11:30 PM
Still better then most of their competition (I think Kia/Hyundai are the only ones who have more) still, one can not help but think that this decision was based on them being shocked at how expensive it is to keep their cars on the road.   :mask:

Considering my car doesn't have 80K on it and the interior is completely falling apart (and some of the exterior, though being a regular resident at the airport parking lot the past few months hasn't helped).  The glass on my passenger's wing mirror fell out a few weeks ago.  Like seemingly every other adhesive on the car, it just came unstuck.  Slapped it back on with some Gorilla glue.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

First reviews of the new A45S AMG are coming in.

The verdict? AMAZING. Especially when compared to the last A45 AMG. That interior comparison alone for example demonstrates how much the new A-Class has improved and has a more premium feel and personality.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjnaC361API
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

HurricaneSteve

Wow that's quite terrible and I wouldn't be surprised if even little things like that are still a problem. I've been looking at a more powerful replacement for the Mazda 2 and a local VW dealer was offering a 2018 Golf TSI 5MT for under 17K since it's one of the shortest cars in its class and is supposedly high quality throughout but I just couldn't get comfortable (not enough seat adjustment) and the only reason why I entertained the Golf was because of the warranty. Seems like VW hasn't changed one bit and even though it was a base trim, the interior wasn't anything to write home about, particularly the cloth seat material.

Quote from: MX793 on August 01, 2019, 02:23:45 PM
Considering my car doesn't have 80K on it and the interior is completely falling apart (and some of the exterior, though being a regular resident at the airport parking lot the past few months hasn't helped).  The glass on my passenger's wing mirror fell out a few weeks ago.  Like seemingly every other adhesive on the car, it just came unstuck.  Slapped it back on with some Gorilla glue.

HurricaneSteve

On paper yes but I was under the impression that VW had improved its quality so that trips to the dealership would be less frequent. If consumers are still having to use the warranty that much then nothing has changed--in the US at least it's still a brand that one is better off leasing or getting rid of just as the warranty expires.

Quote from: Galaxy on August 01, 2019, 02:11:30 PM

cawimmer430

Toyota Supra Vs. BMW Z4 M40i Comparison Tries To Settle The Discussion For Good

Leaving aside discussions or rather, criticism about the Toyota Supra being nothing more than a retuned, rebadged and repackaged BMW Z4, the Japanese coupe has proven to be quite a revelation in reviews — including our own.

But what is the Supra like to drive when compared with its platform sibling, the BMW Z4? The guys from Throttle House wanted to find out and reviewed the two sports cars in detail to see which is the one to have.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvE1GCXcOTs

Obviously, they did not choose any Z4 for the job and went for the range-topping M40i version which uses the same 3.0-liter turbocharged straight-six as the Supra. Despite the difference in power (the North American-market BMW has 47 horsepower more than the Toyota), the cars feel equally agile and fast. Actually, the Supra beat the Z4 in the 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) tests, albeit by a tiny margin.

The Toyota also has the edge over the BMW when it comes to driver engagement: the exhaust sound is more exciting and loud, and the added stiffness of the coupe body style makes it a bit more agile and lively in corners. The BMW Z4 M40i is more of grand tourer type of vehicle and it does that really well for a roadster. It also has a better, more modern interior — and less claustrophobic too, even with the roof up.

Unfortunately, the video does not feature the two sports car on the track but driving them on public roads was enough for the reviewers to reach an unanimous conclusion. Head over to the video to find out which car is the winner.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/08/toyota-supra-vs-bmw-z4-m40i-comparison-tries-to-settle-the-discussion-for-good/

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

:mrcool:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Y2MsCDHUg

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SJ_GTI

I like the older, horizontal grill better. But everything else does seem nicer on the newer A45.

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 02, 2019, 06:03:44 AM
I like the older, horizontal grill better. But everything else does seem nicer on the newer A45.

I think the new A45 AMG is obviously awesome, insane and impressive, but in terms of visual style it's too gaudy for me. The regular A35 AMG looks better IMO.

And maybe I am biased, but I think the fake exhaust design looks better on the AMG Line package than on the circular fake exhausts on the  A35 AMG.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quote from: veeman on July 30, 2019, 11:01:08 AM
My car is very similar to the Armada.  I've driven both my QX56, now called the QX80, and the much smaller 3 row SUV, the QX60, as a loaner a bunch of times long distance.  There's not as much space inside based on how it looks because the seats are so damn thick. It's almost impossible to feel cramped however in the captain chairs of the first and second row and the greenhouse is very tall.  Ergonomically the only issue I've ever had is that it's a long reach to turn the radio channel.  I'm not that tall or lanky however and can do it pretty easily.  It does drive like a potato with the smaller SUV being significantly more agile.  Parking is a breeze due to surround vision. 

I'm pretty sure the Armada is smaller than a quad cab pickup so everything is relative :lol:

I drive a Z4.  The Armada is an actual armada compared to it.  Without the surround camera, I would have had a hell of a time parking it in my hotel parking lot. 

There were 6 of us on that vacation, otherwise we would have gotten something smaller.  I do like the idea of an SUV and there were some things that were nice about having a truck that big.  In downtown Napa, people were scared of it; they got out of your way because it was so much bigger than most of the cars there.  But trying to drive that thing at night on winding, unlit Napa Valley roads at 50-60mph (the speed limit on those two lane roads) was kind of nerve-wracking, especially if you've had a glass of wine or two.  It felt and handled like a big truck and visibility was poor because there were no other light sources (also, I was there during the huge fire, so visibility was already poor). 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.