Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

CaminoRacer

:huh:

Just going off what the article was talking about.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

I think there will be huge deals on cars for a time.

Short term, dealers borrow to hold inventory, so they need to get stuff moving.

Medium term, most new cars are optional purchases, and automakers need to keep the assembly lines and supply chain moving otherwise the whole business falls apart.

Laconian

The domestics are probably regretting putting all their chips on high-spec trucks.

I've heard that mortgage lenders have made big moves to reduce their lending risk, even going so far as to require up to 20% down on a house(!) If auto lenders decide to do similar things to cover their butts, then it's RIP Super Duty Platinum duallies on 90month loans.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on April 16, 2020, 01:42:34 PM
The domestics are probably regretting putting all their chips on high-spec trucks.

I've heard that mortgage lenders have made big moves to reduce their lending risk, even going so far as to require up to 20% down on a house(!) If auto lenders decide to do similar things to cover their butts, then it's RIP Super Duty Platinum duallies on 90month loans.

I thought mortgages generally required either 20% down or PMI?  If PMI is no longer an option, housing values are going to take a nosedive as the pool of prospective buyers is going to be drastically reduced at current prices in many areas.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

I don't know how PMI is affected. I think they used to allow for less money down. And apparently they are requiring extremely fresh paystubs combined with a promise that your job should be safe.

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on April 16, 2020, 01:52:11 PM
I don't know how PMI is affected. I think they used to allow for less money down. And apparently they are requiring extremely fresh paystubs combined with a promise that your job should be safe.

Obviously it previously depended on the lender, the borrower, and the type of loan.  Government-backed loans like FHA typically required pretty small down payments.  I think it was <5% unless you had poor credit then it was 10%.  VA and USDA loans could be 0% down.  I believe PMI was required with those.  My understanding is that most private lenders either wanted 20% or PMI.  Maybe some had programs that allowed less down and no PMI?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

I'm talking to my parents tonight, I'll get the scuttlebutt from them.

FoMoJo

Ford's Farley reshapes leadership team, focusing on commercial vehicles, big data

I'm glad Farley made it to the top at Ford.  That, as Toyota's top North American marketing person, he was able to take even a manufacturer like Toyota to the top of the sales charts must mean that he is almost a genius.  Hopefully, he can pull Ford out of the doldrums.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 16, 2020, 03:02:46 PM
Ford's Farley reshapes leadership team, focusing on commercial vehicles, big data

I'm glad Farley made it to the top at Ford.  That, as Toyota's top North American marketing person, he was able to take even a manufacturer like Toyota to the top of the sales charts must mean that he is almost a genius.  Hopefully, he can pull Ford out of the doldrums.

Toyota took the crown from GM during the 2008 collapse, and has held it ever since, save for maybe a year here or there, losing out to VW. Farley had his hands in the titanic success of Lexus, but he left for Ford in 2007, and Ford has been distant from the top.

GM (and Ford and Chrysler) were woefully ill prepared to compete when shit got real - mediocre product, union hegemony and large subprime credit customer base (TRUCKS). Toyota had better product, no unions (at least in the US) and a more diverse customer base.

This time it's going to be even worse. Ford and Chrysler winnowed things down to mostly trucks and SUVs and both have little presence in either EVs or autonomous driving. GM's a bit better across these three respects, but still plagued as noted.

GoCougs

Also, Farley is not a car guy or an engineer, which Ford needs at the top IMO.

cawimmer430

I keep saying this - this guy has a great YouTube channel!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbIGVG1x9_0
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

veeman

the 3rd gen Scirocco was a great looking car.  Too bad U.S. never got it.  It wouldn't have sold well here because it's a 2 door hatchback and expensive but great looking.

MX793

Quote from: veeman on April 17, 2020, 10:55:06 AM
the 3rd gen Scirocco was a great looking car.  Too bad U.S. never got it.  It wouldn't have sold well here because it's a 2 door hatchback and expensive but great looking.

We should have gotten the Scirocco instead of the 2-door GTI.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Eye of the Tiger

Rendering of a modernized Jeep Wagonbeer

Discuss.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Did- did it get stung by a bee?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Whoever did that rendering...shudder.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

It gives me a feeling of great depression.   :(
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

FoMoJo

cawimmer430

Quote from: veeman on April 17, 2020, 10:55:06 AM

According to the video VW blamed the unworkable exchange rate between the Euro and the Dollar for not bringing the Scirocco over. It would have cost too much. It would have been a Corado 2.0 story: too expensive and low sales.

I agree that the 3rd generation Scirocco was a sharp-looking car. I also like the 1st generation. The 2nd generation just looks awkward.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 17, 2020, 05:42:43 PM

Discuss.

You can't improve on the original. That's iconic and perfect. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Here's your V12 Mercedes with a manual transmission:lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrC-9Um_mLI

www.wimmerfotografie.de

veeman

[/quote]
Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 17, 2020, 05:42:43 PM

Discuss.

Looks OK.  The original had slab sides where you could put a big expanse of fake wood veneer.  The modern rendering doesn't have nearly enough of the fake wood veneer.  It's OK that it's shorter in height but it only covers the front door and half the rear door.  It should go over the wheel wells and rear quarter panel.  It won't be slab sided but with good alignment and covering half the fuel filler door, it might look pretty good.

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on March 11, 2020, 12:25:42 PM
White one with a custom license plate, NOT OJ ?

ONDARUN
CHASEME
RLKLRSR3
LOOSJUS
7STAB
HUDUNIT
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Wonder why there was never a market for aftermarket faux wood sides.  You see the occasional modern Buick, Caddy, or even Hyundai running around with a felt, faux landau roof that was fitted aftermarket, you'd think that some octogenarian would want the wood sides look.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on April 18, 2020, 07:42:08 AM
Wonder why there was never a market for aftermarket faux wood sides.  You see the occasional modern Buick, Caddy, or even Hyundai running around with a felt, faux landau roof that was fitted aftermarket, you'd think that some octogenarian would want the wood sides look.

There is a small one.

But its hard to get even reproduction simulated wood done right. Original appliqués were printed off of linocut dies; very few of which still exist and making new ones is cost prohibitive. NOS kits are a crap shoot. Unless they were stored in a cool basement or something, they all crack and flake apart when being applied. New vinyl wraps look good from a distance, but are computer printed and up close you can see the dots and other artifacts in them. 

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Vinyl wraps are for lazy people that don't know how to care for paint.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 18, 2020, 09:27:09 AM

No real other way to restore my wood grain though.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 18, 2020, 09:36:54 AM
No real other way to restore my wood grain though.

Decals are different from an entire body wrap.

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 18, 2020, 09:27:09 AM

Wraps are a viable option for people on a limited budget who want to change the color of their car.  Unlike a "cheap" paint job, it's fully reversible, so no impact to the resale value of the vehicle.
Needs more Jiggawatts