Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 18, 2020, 09:38:01 AM
Decals are different from an entire body wrap.

It basically ends up being a wrap.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 18, 2020, 09:27:09 AM
Vinyl wraps are for lazy people that don't know how to care for paint.

There's a guy at church with a GORGEOUS orange 5series. Badges even match the orange (the blue parts are orange).

Turns out it was a wrap- only a couple grand, and the car is black underneath. Looks perfectly like factory paint and should last up to 5years.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 18, 2020, 08:58:53 AM
There is a small one.

But its hard to get even reproduction simulated wood done right. Original appliqués were printed off of linocut dies; very few of which still exist and making new ones is cost prohibitive. NOS kits are a crap shoot. Unless they were stored in a cool basement or something, they all crack and flake apart when being applied. New vinyl wraps look good from a distance, but are computer printed and up close you can see the dots and other artifacts in them. 

Unless the material has limitations, there should be a printer that can get a good DPI. Might cost $$ and therefore no one in the car wrapping business will do it, but it should be possible.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 19, 2020, 11:21:57 AM
Unless the material has limitations, there should be a printer that can get a good DPI. Might cost $$ and therefore no one in the car wrapping business will do it, but it should be possible.

The way I understand it is the printers that can handle the material are designed for billboards- and DPI isn't a big priority for something meant to be viewed 100 yards away. If you get close to any vehicle that has an advertising wrap on it, you'll see what I mean.

There are a few folks doing it for higher resolutions, but not many, and close up, the image is acceptable, but you can see the difference.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

I wonder if the film could be run on the same printers used for PE/PET food packaging. We can get crazy good DPI. A film wide enough for a fake wood wrap would probably fit (2-3')

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 19, 2020, 11:28:41 AM
I wonder if the film could be run on the same printers used for PE/PET food packaging. We can get crazy good DPI. A film wide enough for a fake wood wrap would probably fit (2-3')

I don't know all the ins and outs of the problems, all I know is that there are only a few suppliers that do them well, and that most of the people who restore their fake wood have had disappointing results with local vinyl wrap shops that said they could print them.

Laconian

Quote from: MX793 on April 18, 2020, 09:42:30 AM
Wraps are a viable option for people on a limited budget who want to change the color of their car.  Unlike a "cheap" paint job, it's fully reversible, so no impact to the resale value of the vehicle.

Also, it's the best way to get a trendy matte finish, isn't it?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on April 19, 2020, 12:01:31 PM
Also, it's the best way to get a trendy matte finish, isn't it?

Certainly less expensive than matte paint.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on April 19, 2020, 12:13:34 PM

A can of rustoleum and a paint brush will set you back almost $20
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on April 19, 2020, 12:13:34 PM

Yeah, a good matte/satin finish generally requires a skilled painter and a decent amount of prep work.

giant_mtb

What in the flying eating frack is this. :wtf:

www.wish.com/share/5329kzhwwo

giant_mtb

The condition of this car is impressive.

https://youtu.be/HQjPk1tpxoE

GoCougs

Very cool car back in the day, and one of the coolest of the '90s.

AutobahnSHO

I bought a new phone this winter (Pixel 3a) and it came with a $100 gift card. Just ordered this
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1478840-REG/garmin_010_02231_05_dash_cam_66w.html

Anyone have any fun dash cam videos?
Will

giant_mtb

That's a nice unit.  I've had a dashcam in my vehicles since...2013? 2014?  Never picked up anything super interesting or worth keeping long.

Except one time I was working on my truck in the shop and my friend bet me I couldn't turn my truck around inside the garage. So, about half an hour and a 277-point turn later, I was turned around in the garage...then realized my dash cam was on the whole time, so I grabbed the files and put them on my (now dead) Chromebook. :lol: (no, it isn't interesting to watch, was just a fun memory lol)

Edit, actually I uploaded them to my Google Drive, so they do still exist. Eight 3-minute segments, so about 24 minutes start to finish.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 24, 2020, 08:39:48 AM
That's a nice unit.  I've had a dashcam in my vehicles since...2013? 2014?  Never picked up anything super interesting or worth keeping long.

Except one time I was working on my truck in the shop and my friend bet me I couldn't turn my truck around inside the garage. So, about half an hour and a 277-point turn later, I was turned around in the garage...then realized my dash cam was on the whole time, so I grabbed the files and put them on my (now dead) Chromebook. :lol: (no, it isn't interesting to watch, was just a fun memory lol)

Edit, actually I uploaded them to my Google Drive, so they do still exist. Eight 3-minute segments, so about 24 minutes start to finish.

:lol:
Will

SJ_GTI

I found this video of giant_mtb on the internet:

CaminoRacer

I've caught two small incidents:

- BMW 1 series slightly drifting through an intersection left-hand turn. I proceeded to blow his doors off at the next light because he was texting or something. A few minutes later he was in front of me going through one of the canyons here and there was a bit of a traffic jam, so dumbass decided to pass on a right turn lane. Nothing happened but it was a really dumb & overly aggressive move.

- Same road as when the 1st BMW did the fishtail, another BMW 1 series again passed on the right shoulder/bike lane because douchebag teenager driving his daddy's Bimmer couldn't stand to be behind cars going 5 over or wait to pass normally.

Neither were all that exciting on camera so I didn't pull the video.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 24, 2020, 09:44:11 AM
I've caught two small incidents:

- BMW 1 series slightly drifting through an intersection left-hand turn. I proceeded to blow his doors off at the next light because he was texting or something. A few minutes later he was in front of me going through one of the canyons here and there was a bit of a traffic jam, so dumbass decided to pass on a right turn lane. Nothing happened but it was a really dumb & overly aggressive move.

- Same road as when the 1st BMW did the fishtail, another BMW 1 series again passed on the right shoulder/bike lane because douchebag teenager driving his daddy's Bimmer couldn't stand to be behind cars going 5 over or wait to pass normally.

People are just shit dicks. No matter how fast I drive, I'm always in someone's way. Pass me and leave me the fuck alone. Then they pass and slow down.

shp4man

I usually drive 80mph in the second lane on the freeway on the way to and from work. I can't run the fast lane for long, as some stressed out idiot trying to run 100 mph cutting lanes like mad gets on the bumper. Happened this morning. Some clown in a fucking S10 pickup. I could see his face in the rearview mirror, almost like in a panic.
What oddball psychology creates this insanity?    There are more and more every day.
Some other idiot doing 90mph while pulling a small, empty trailer- the kind with the cheap Chinese made wheels and bias ply tires. Holy shit, some people are stupid.  :facepalm:

giant_mtb

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 24, 2020, 09:44:11 AM

I wonder what would happen if they setup a system for videos to get sent in, and violators get ticketed from obvious infractions. Would people start driving more cautiously? Would they stop lending their cars to people who can't drive well?

(Red light/ speed cameras send out tickets but how do you prove you weren't driving??...)
Will

MX793

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 24, 2020, 09:37:02 AM
I found this video of giant_mtb on the internet:

"Betcha can't turn your truck around in the garage"
"Hold my beer"
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on April 24, 2020, 12:35:52 PM
"Betcha can't turn your truck around in the garage"
"Hold my beer"

This...is accurate.

Eye of the Tiger

No, better give me that beer. This might take a while.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on April 24, 2020, 10:44:26 AM
I usually drive 80mph in the second lane on the freeway on the way to and from work. I can't run the fast lane for long, as some stressed out idiot trying to run 100 mph cutting lanes like mad gets on the bumper. Happened this morning. Some clown in a fucking S10 pickup. I could see his face in the rearview mirror, almost like in a panic.
What oddball psychology creates this insanity?    There are more and more every day.
Some other idiot doing 90mph while pulling a small, empty trailer- the kind with the cheap Chinese made wheels and bias ply tires. Holy shit, some people are stupid.  :facepalm:

Those tires are rated for 55 MPH max:

veeman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 24, 2020, 10:47:42 AM
I wonder what would happen if they setup a system for videos to get sent in, and violators get ticketed from obvious infractions. Would people start driving more cautiously? Would they stop lending their cars to people who can't drive well?

(Red light/ speed cameras send out tickets but how do you prove you weren't driving??...)

Not in favor of a set up system like that.  A lot of Freeway Frannys would start reporting anyone driving faster than their left lane camping car.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on April 24, 2020, 01:44:58 PM
Not in favor of a set up system like that.  A lot of Freeway Frannys would start reporting anyone driving faster than their left lane camping car.

Yeah speeding wouldn't be able to be enforced. But illegal lane changes (idiots cutting across 3 lanes to barely make their exit), red light running,  BRAKE CHECKING....
Will

giant_mtb

Such a system already exists. It's called "reporting a crime to your local PD."

Good luck getting them to care about going to find someone who didn't use their blinker while changing lanes last Tuesday.

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 24, 2020, 01:50:12 PM
Yeah speeding wouldn't be able to be enforced. But illegal lane changes (idiots cutting across 3 lanes to barely make their exit), red light running,  BRAKE CHECKING....
Usually a result of TAIL GATING, which is my pet peeve.  Some anxious looking soccer mom peering through the steering wheel of her minivan with a load of kids late for something 10 feet off my rear bumper.  Bugs the hell out of me. :nono:

Doesn't matter that I'm going 15 kph over the limit.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."