~45 days away from 2015... no word on 2015 NSX

Started by 12,000 RPM, November 27, 2014, 02:15:15 PM

12,000 RPM

Its just bizarre that theyve been benchmarking for.... 5 years? And then still missed their launch date by 6 months. Seems like it would be immediately apparent that they were off and would have to go back to the drawing board. My fear is that they rushed the turbos and will now have problems.

And Honda was making 120HP/L NA engines 15 years ago, and lightweight aluminum bodies 25 years ago. Put the two together with specs up to modern standards, you have a 1/3 price Ferrari beater. Its not like Ferraris aren't grossly overpriced.

Once you strip away the hype of the "story", its not that amazing. For all the wait and delays and tech, if this thing is anything short of amazing it will be a failure, because they had so much time to get it right, and have already demonstrated that they could do it.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on December 17, 2014, 01:10:01 PM
They've been benchmarking for a long time.  You can design the entire thing in CAD, build it, and have every nuance figured out before you even make anything.

Building a super car to compete with Ferrari at a 1/3 of the price is the exact opposite of bush league.
Well, obviously it doesn't compete with Ferrari.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 17, 2014, 02:06:25 PM
Its just bizarre that theyve been benchmarking for.... 5 years?

Well you can't drive a CAD model back to back with a 458.

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 17, 2014, 02:06:25 PM
Its just bizarre that theyve been benchmarking for.... 5 years? And then still missed their launch date by 6 months. Seems like it would be immediately apparent that they were off and would have to go back to the drawing board. My fear is that they rushed the turbos and will now have problems.

And Honda was making 120HP/L NA engines 15 years ago, and lightweight aluminum bodies 25 years ago. Put the two together with specs up to modern standards, you have a 1/3 price Ferrari beater. Its not like Ferraris aren't grossly overpriced.

Once you strip away the hype of the "story", its not that amazing. For all the wait and delays and tech, if this thing is anything short of amazing it will be a failure, because they had so much time to get it right, and have already demonstrated that they could do it.

Dude, a 6 month delay is nothing.  It happens... a lot.  The new S-class had a 6-month delay.  Multiple vehicles debuting at Detroit Auto Show this year have had delays a hell of a lot longer than 6 months.  You just have no idea about those.

I think the main issue you guys have with this is because "concepts" showed up so long ago that looked so close to the production.  It's like the Camaro, where it was flaunted around in Transformers and all over the place years before actually coming to production.

That's a marketing issue.  And one I also think is stupid.  You can only keep the hype train going for so long.  But a 6 month delay?  You have no idea how common this is.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: MrH on December 17, 2014, 01:10:01 PM
They've been benchmarking for a long time.  You can design the entire thing in CAD, build it, and have every nuance figured out before you even make anything.

Building a super car to compete with Ferrari at a 1/3 of the price is the exact opposite of bush league.

But you get it, right?  I mean, they didn't take away all non-engineering parts of your brain when you got your degree, did they?

It seems like they were about to go to market, and then they said "Oh shit, there are other cars like this?  We've got to check this out."
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Yea I hope to god the delay wasnt due to them just now realizing it wasn't competitive

Did they actually say that?

What happens when it comes out and it's not as good as the 458?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

LMAO... After 5 years they finally unveil it at the same Detroit auto show that Ford unloads the jaw dropping GT.

Note to Honda... Just load the car back up and try a different show - nobody cares
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on January 12, 2015, 11:06:21 AM
LMAO... After 5 years they finally unveil it at the same Detroit auto show that Ford unloads the jaw dropping GT.

Note to Honda... Just load the car back up and try a different show - nobody cares
It looks really boring next to the new GT.

2o6

To be fair, the NSX will probably be more livable and shit

Idk man. I feel like they're not really competitors. And they're both going to be hella exclusive.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: r0tor on January 12, 2015, 11:06:21 AM

+ No specs. WTF.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Payman

NSX unveil...

Drumroll, curtain drops, sound of cymbals falling on floor

*crickets*

*baby crying in the background*

FlatBlackCaddy

Honda just likes to delay it's products to give everyone else a chance at the limelight. It's actually very generous of them.

That's why they have like 20 year gaps between their roadsters. Can't wait for the 2028 S2000 successor.