Is it wrong to own a sports car and not do regular track days in it?

Started by 12,000 RPM, December 15, 2014, 09:48:39 AM

MexicoCityM3

Another point about track driving is that if done properly, it will make you safer on the street.

"Done properly" meaning:

a) Getting performance driving lessons, as many as possible.
b) Practicing with the limits on track.
c) Remembering that the street IS NOT a track.

Going often to the track, and in your own car, means you get to know the limits better and will react instinctively correctly more likely in a road emergency situation.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

FlatBlackCaddy

I was actually serious, but I'm well aware that most "real" drivers can't afford a lot of those cars.

I have the same feelings about garage queens. Cars are meant to be driven, I don't care what it is. Even a one of a kind multi million dollar car should be driven and enjoyed. Not put in a garage surrounded by a bunch of overpriced memorabilia and "admired" by a bunch of rich old douches that wouldn't know true car enthusiasm if it slapped them upside the head.

One of the reasons I admire Jay Leno, in my opinion the best car guy in the world. He drives them.

Byteme

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 15, 2014, 09:48:39 AM
But do you think it's wrong/silly/strange to buy something like a Z06 and never track it or learn how to utilize its full potential?

No, not at all.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on December 15, 2014, 06:02:21 PM
Why would I blow several thousands of dollars a year on fees, tires, and brakes driving on a track with little to no passing - when I can race wheel to wheel with go-karts and only spend a fraction of that?
Im pretty sure if you earn the right and demonstrate the skills you can participate in track days with passing. I see YT vids with passing TDs all the time

Plus in any case do you have to be able to pass people to have fun pushing a car to its limits :confused:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Rupert

You do if they're holding you back!

The logical error is in the premise that sports cars are built for the track. They aren't, with few exceptions.

In general, I think it's a shame when people don't use their cars for the purpose the car was built-- 4x4s that never see dirt, touring cars used as commuters, sports cars that don't get driven aggressively, etc.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

No.  I own a sports car and I've never tracked it.  Tracking takes time (which is the same thing as money) and money, involves great risk of serious damage to the car that insurance will not cover (money), stress on the car (money), the literal burning of tires that require frequent replacement (money), travel (money), gear (money), et al (more money).

I enjoy my sports car driving everyday.  So I don't conform to bullshit arbitrary numbers painted on bits of metal screwed to a post, but I'm not really putting anyone in danger (at least not in years).  So fuck it. 

Life's too fucking short to have your only car enjoyment on Saturday mornings when the weather's nice. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on December 15, 2014, 06:04:22 PM
Another point about track driving is that if done properly, it will make you safer on the street.

"Done properly" meaning:

a) Getting performance driving lessons, as many as possible.
b) Practicing with the limits on track.
c) Remembering that the street IS NOT a track.

Going often to the track, and in your own car, means you get to know the limits better and will react instinctively correctly more likely in a road emergency situation.

The street is basically the same thing as a track, I agree. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on December 15, 2014, 11:13:09 PM
You do if they're holding you back!

The logical error is in the premise that sports cars are built for the track. They aren't, with few exceptions.

In general, I think it's a shame when people don't use their cars for the purpose the car was built-- 4x4s that never see dirt, touring cars used as commuters, sports cars that don't get driven aggressively, etc.

That's true.  Most sports cars and GT cars just aren't trackday specials.  They're built for the street.  Not necessarily for stop and go traffic, but also not for jumping on the Nurburgring and pretending you're Kimi Raikkonen in your clapped out 1991 MX-5.  My friend's building his Miata out for track work and it's a serious commitment and a significant difference between how the car was when it was "street" to "track".  Significant.  He can't even drive it on the street anymore.  But it's great on the track. 

And for the record, any track driving I've done doesn't "get it out of my system" and make me more docile on the road.  If anything, it makes me more aggressive. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hotrodalex

Quote from: r0tor on December 15, 2014, 06:02:21 PM
Why would I blow several thousands of dollars a year on fees, tires, and brakes driving on a track with little to no passing - when I can race wheel to wheel with go-karts and only spend a fraction of that?

Exactly. I went to the OUSCI event in Vegas and realized track days and stuff like that are just too much work and $$$. Would rather show up and race something simple, not have to worry about maintenance, and then drive home immediately when I'm done.

Autocross is probably the most I'll do in one of my own cars. Definitely want to rent a supercar and track it, though. Maybe next time I go to Vegas.

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 15, 2014, 07:12:05 PM
Im pretty sure if you earn the right and demonstrate the skills you can participate in track days with passing. I see YT vids with passing TDs all the time

Plus in any case do you have to be able to pass people to have fun pushing a car to its limits :confused:

In the real world, only the most advanced groups are completely open to passing.  More often then that, its either forbidden or restricted to 1 or 2 straightaways.

Plus after 10 or so minutes when your car and tires are overheating, you ask yourself why the hell am I beating the shit out of my own car and its not even timed and there are no "winners".
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MexicoCityM3

Our club is completely open to passing. It's a riot.

We do have a "beginner" and an "advanced" category. In the first one, the slow car has preference, you have to wait for a safe place to pass. In the second one, the slow car has to yield ASAP.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on December 16, 2014, 11:11:08 AM
The street is basically the same thing as a track, I agree.
Lol he explicitly said to "remember that the street is NOT the track"

Quote from: r0tor on December 16, 2014, 12:02:39 PM
In the real world, only the most advanced groups are completely open to passing.  More often then that, its either forbidden or restricted to 1 or 2 straightaways.

Plus after 10 or so minutes when your car and tires are overheating, you ask yourself why the hell am I beating the shit out of my own car and its not even timed and there are no "winners".
So you only have fun driving if you are competing with others? Why do u have the RX-8 then :confused:

I think that may just be you brah.

Quote from: Raza  on December 16, 2014, 11:06:51 AM
No.  I own a sports car and I've never tracked it.  Tracking takes time (which is the same thing as money) and money, involves great risk of serious damage to the car that insurance will not cover (money), stress on the car (money), the literal burning of tires that require frequent replacement (money), travel (money), gear (money), et al (more money).

I enjoy my sports car driving everyday.  So I don't conform to bullshit arbitrary numbers painted on bits of metal screwed to a post, but I'm not really putting anyone in danger (at least not in years).  So fuck it. 

Life's too fucking short to have your only car enjoyment on Saturday mornings when the weather's nice. 
Nobody said anything about racing for lap times (in fact I said the opposite), and nobody said the only place to enjoy a sports car is a race track. Come on dude.

I just feel guilty having the Z and never even coming close to pushing its limits. And I feel more and more silly getting it in its element on public roads, even though most of my commute is on 2 lane winding roads.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: r0tor on December 16, 2014, 12:02:39 PM

Totally disagree. Driving at the limit is fun in itself. I get in a flow state that I really enjoy. There are no prizes but there's the huge thrill of chasing down a guy in a GT3 RS 4.0 in my lowly 1M. This actually happened last time.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

SVT666

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on December 16, 2014, 12:19:37 PM
Totally disagree. Driving at the limit is fun in itself. I get in a flow state that I really enjoy. There are no prizes but there's the huge thrill of chasing down a guy in a GT3 RS 4.0 in my lowly 1M. This actually happened last time.
I would love to do that one day.  Unfortunately we don't have a track anywhere near here.

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 16, 2014, 12:14:15 PM
So you only have fun driving if you are competing with others? Why do u have the RX-8 then :confused:

Nobody said anything about racing for lap times (in fact I said the opposite), and nobody said the only place to enjoy a sports car is a race track. Come on dude.

I just feel guilty having the Z and never even coming close to pushing its limits. And I feel more and more silly getting it in its element on public roads, even though most of my commute is on 2 lane winding roads.

I drivevan RX8 because its fun.  I don't need to be pushing it to enjoy the sounds, its looks, the feel of the gearbox, the rush of hitting 9k rpms.  Its fun no matter what.

... and divebombing someone on the go-kart track and setting them up for passes, competing in a championship,  all while pushing the kart to its limit is way more fun then just lapping and trying to push your car.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: r0tor on December 16, 2014, 12:33:35 PM
I drivevan RX8 because its fun.  I don't need to be pushing it to enjoy the sounds, its looks, the feel of the gearbox, the rush of hitting 9k rpms.  Its fun no matter what.

... and divebombing someone on the go-kart track and setting them up for passes, competing in a championship,  all while pushing the kart to its limit is way more fun then just lapping and trying to push your car.

Go karts are fun. No arguing that. And enjoying a sports car on the street is nice for sure as well.

But that doesn't mean that RX-8 wouldn't be a lot more fun @ the track.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

12,000 RPM

Exactly... if you like the looks and sounds of the car at its limits without competing against anybody why do those things all of a sudden not matter at the track

Plus its not like 1-2 track sessions a year will chomp through a set of brakes/tires. I mentioned my track's plan but I'm not saying you have to do 40 track days a year to justify owning a sports car.

Come on guys leave the hyperbole and strawmen to me, thats my arena.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 16, 2014, 12:50:15 PM
Plus its not like 1-2 track sessions a year will chomp through a set of brakes/tires.

I don't want to use my DD tires on the track.

MrH

You feel guilty? :wtf:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

12,000 RPM

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 16, 2014, 02:13:55 PM
I do

The car deserves more.

Do you think the car has feelings? Who do you feel the need to justify your ownership to?

I could drive the brz under 2k RPM forever and would never feel bad at it. It's my car, I'll do whatever the hell I want with it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

12,000 RPM

Raza

Yeah, I read that.  Then I decided that's not what he should have said, so I went with it. 

Where did I say anything about lap times?  And you basically said that sports cars shouldn't be enjoyed on the open road because it's dangerous and you've stated that in the past as well.  And your premise was that it's wrong to not track a sports car "regularly".  Come on, man. 

350Z limits aren't as high as you'd think.  Cars like yours and mine aren't track beasts.  They're sports and GT cars for the road.  Sure, when you're talking about a NISMO GT-R or a GT3 RS or something like that, you begin to have a point, but not for a mass market sports/GT car like the ones we own. 

Basically if it's not a "race tech" FOG car, it's fine on the road. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: MrH on December 16, 2014, 02:15:40 PM
Do you think the car has feelings?

Yeah, of course.  If I didn't, I'd drive some upstart Korean sofa cushion wannabe-Mercedes family car. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza  on December 16, 2014, 03:13:14 PM
Yeah, of course.  If I didn't, I'd drive some upstart Korean sofa cushion wannabe-Mercedes family car. 

We have clubs an' all. What would the point be if our cars didn't have FEELINGS?

:cheers:

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

FoMoJo

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on December 16, 2014, 03:52:49 PM
We have clubs an' all. What would the point be if our cars didn't have FEELINGS?

:cheers:

I'm well aware of my cars' feelings.  You must have a very delicate touch for your car to communicate with you.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Raza  on December 16, 2014, 03:10:13 PM
350Z limits aren't as high as you'd think.  Cars like yours and mine aren't track beasts.  They're sports and GT cars for the road.  Sure, when you're talking about a NISMO GT-R or a GT3 RS or something like that, you begin to have a point, but not for a mass market sports/GT car like the ones we own. 
:hesaid:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MX793 on December 15, 2014, 03:30:08 PM

If you buy a high performance car Miata and then drive on public streets like you are at a race track rather than going to an actual track, you're a moron having fun.
Will