Is it wrong to own a sports car and not do regular track days in it?

Started by 12,000 RPM, December 15, 2014, 09:48:39 AM

12,000 RPM

Z06 chatter, Mr H's recent purchase, Doug DeMuro's Ferrari disappointment, and my general experience with the Z have me wondering what people think.

Sporty cars of today deliver most of the driving thrills of sports cars from ~10-20 years ago. Sports cars of today generally can't be fully exploited without a race track and mad skills. Obviously people can do what they want. But do you think it's wrong/silly/strange to buy something like a Z06 and never track it or learn how to utilize its full potential?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

I think people can do whatever they want, like you said.

For me, personally, yes, it would be a waste to own a track-capable (not dedicated, just capable) car and never take it to the track. The levels of fun & thrills there are an order of magnitude higher than what you can experience on the road (if you don't want to deal with a high probability of getting killed or killing innocent people).
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Rich

I'd say it depends where the person lives. If I lived in the hills of western NC I'd be doing less track days than if I lived in the Midwest.

People nowadays mistake G's for fun. Sporty cars are becoming more numb and rely on rapid transit than the feel of the British roadsters and 80's pocket rockets which weren't fast but fun on windy roads.

A Focus ST needs a track to be enjoyed as much as an early 80s GTI on a windy road IMO
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT666

We don't have a track anywhere near where I live, but the mountain roads here are enormously fun.  So, no, I don't think it's wrong. Having said that, I fail to see why anyone would own a Z06 if they weren't doing track days because a Z51 Stingray is likely just as quick and less punishing on public roads.

GoCougs

Considering virtually no "sports" car is a track/race car, no, of course it's not wrong, especially considering the cost (tires, brakes) and risk (not insured under regular auto policy) of driving a non race car like a race car...

Rich

If someone buys a new sports car then the costs of tires and brakes shouldn't have an effect

Risk can be mitigated by purchasing a separate track day insurance policy

12,000 RPM

Right, unless you are doing hundreds of track days a year theres no way brakes/tires will outpace depreciation on even something as measly as an FR-S.

And Im not surprised Cougs doesnt know about trackday insurance. Wasnt in his engineering textbook

For what Ive spent on tickets this year, I could have bought an unlimited track day membership. Which is another side of "only on the street" sports car ownership for some.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 15, 2014, 10:28:03 AM
Right, unless you are doing hundreds of track days a year theres no way brakes/tires will outpace depreciation on even something as measly as an FR-S.

And Im not surprised Cougs doesnt know about trackday insurance. Wasnt in his engineering textbook

For what Ive spent on tickets this year, I could have bought an unlimited track day membership. Which is another side of "only on the street" sports car ownership for some.

IDK. I spend about 7-10K per year on track club membership + all the maintenance and wear items needed. And I do about 10 events per year. That can easily outpace depreciation on a lot of cars.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Rich

You also do some higher level Bmw club stuff too. In the US and Europe a membership isn't needed.

Shit in the UK I got a whole day of unlimited track time for $100. In the US I've seen it run about $400 for two days of session lapping.

12,000 RPM

I was just talking about brakes and tires.

Track by me charges $3000/yr which gives you 40 track days during the year and some other shit. $75 a track day, not bad!

Regular price is $230/day for cars and $140/day for bikes.

SJ_GTI

We are having our company Xmas dinner at the (event hall of the) local racetrack. I will have to pick up some literature on track days. I keep meaning to take my car there, but then I never get around to it.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 15, 2014, 10:37:23 AM
You also do some higher level Bmw club stuff too. In the US and Europe a membership isn't needed.

Shit in the UK I got a whole day of unlimited track time for $100. In the US I've seen it run about $400 for two days of session lapping.

The track club is about 2K. That's a very good deal because the club runs 12-14 events per day (each is unlimited track time).

The rest is maintenance. One set of tires per year + pads + rotors (every 2-3 pad changes) + additional oil/brake fluid changes and such.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MrH

I don't think it's wrong.  I think it's fine to own a sports car and not track it.  As long as you're enjoying it, who cares?

The jump to tracking your car is a big one though.  It's both a big financial and time commitment.  One that a lot of us can't afford to do a lot of.  Just tires, brakes, and fluids adds up really, really fast.

I think maximizing on road enjoyment is a more realistic and achievable goal for most of us.  And if that's the end game, I don't think a lot of these track monsters is the right solution.  I wish I could get something like a Morgan 3 wheeler for cheap.  Something like that seems like the right choice if we just want something fun to commute in occasionally and take on some fun back roads.

The problem is, that isn't what sells so our choices are pretty limited.  I'm betting this new miata becomes the champion of cheap on road thrills.  Close to Elise in weight, but not hateful to commute in.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on December 15, 2014, 11:16:57 AM
I think maximizing on road enjoyment is a more realistic and achievable goal for most of us.  And if that's the end game, I don't think a lot of these track monsters is the right solution.  I wish I could get something like a Morgan 3 wheeler for cheap.  Something like that seems like the right choice if we just want something fun to commute in occasionally and take on some fun back roads.
Motorcycles are this... though I must admit, the older I get, the less appealing riding on the road gets.

A $10-20K working man's Ariel Atom is the answer.

GoCougs

I don't think it's wrong.  I think it's fine to own a sports car and not track it.  As long as you're enjoying it, who cares?

The jump to tracking your car is a big one though.  It's both a big financial and time commitment.  One that a lot of us can't afford to do a lot of.  Just tires, brakes, and fluids adds up really, really fast.

The problem is, that isn't what sells so our choices are pretty limited.  I'm betting this new miata becomes the champion of cheap on road thrills.  Close to Elise in weight, but not hateful to commute in.

Yup x 2. It's big $$$ and risky and "sports" cars are designed to be street cars not track/race cars.

veeman

:hesaid:

The extra money is just a part of it.  It's a time commitment and particularly if you have young kids, it's hard to schedule this kind of stuff.  Ferrari is all about racing and racing heritage.  Yet most Ferrari owners, or at least a large number of them, don't track their cars.  It's all about feeling good about yourself, owning an exquisite machine, and supporting art.

So one day if I buy a Cayman and don't ever track it, it's an experience I wish I could pursue but not a reason not to enjoy my ride at 25% of what it's capable of. 

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 15, 2014, 11:41:46 AM
Motorcycles are this... though I must admit, the older I get, the less appealing riding on the road gets.

A $10-20K working man's Ariel Atom is the answer.

I would catch a lot of flak from family and friends if I got a bike though.  If my commute was all local, I'd be more willing.  But I'm going down an 8 lane highway for 25 miles.  That's dangerous enough in a car at rush hour.  A bike would really risky.

Yeah, poor man's ariel atom.  That's what we need.  The cheapest morgan 3 wheeler I could find is $44k.  I thought the Slingshot was going to fill this need, but it's hideous, the steering rack is really slow, it's not all that light, and it's huge.

I think the ND miata is our great hope to save us :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Lebowski

I've never tracked my cars and see nothing wrong with that. I've got other hobbies, and as others have alluded to just don't want to make the time or money commitment to take on another one and do it right at this time.

I would like to do a 2-3 day driving school at some point, and if I liked that could see myself doing that once a year or so.  One of the keys here for me is it's their car, their tires, brakes etc.

Payman

Absolutely not. I live between 2 tracks (Mosport, Shannonville) and I wouldn't track something that cost me $80,000 and took a lifetime to obtain. That being said, I would track a used sportscar or a FFR Cobra.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on December 15, 2014, 11:59:04 AM
I would catch a lot of flak from family and friends if I got a bike though.  If my commute was all local, I'd be more willing.  But I'm going down an 8 lane highway for 25 miles.  That's dangerous enough in a car at rush hour.  A bike would really risky.

Yeah, poor man's ariel atom.  That's what we need.  The cheapest morgan 3 wheeler I could find is $44k.  I thought the Slingshot was going to fill this need, but it's hideous, the steering rack is really slow, it's not all that light, and it's huge.

I think the ND miata is our great hope to save us :lol:

Riding on the slab is actually safer. Everyone's going the same way and if you stay out of people's blind spots they won't hit you. Plus you sit a lot higher than you would in a sports car so visibility is better.

It's boring AF though. I avoid riding on the highway at all costs, it's pointless to me. 2 lanes are more dangerous as people turning out or in front of you is where the danger is, but if you make yourself visible and ride like a sane person you should be OK. I got a lot of flack from family too, but they eventually got over it.

Truthfully bikes are probably the realistic way to do track days. My track does batch days for $120 a pop but you have to buy 5 at a time. I might have to go that route next year and possibly take the bike off the road

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on December 15, 2014, 12:17:55 PM
Absolutely not. I live between 2 tracks (Mosport, Shannonville) and I wouldn't track something that cost me $80,000 and took a lifetime to obtain. That being said, I would track a used sportscar or a FFR Cobra.
I swear Im not trying to be an ass when I ask, if thats the case, why buy it? Its like finally bagging a Victoria Secret angel and not doing the do. Balls deep or nothing IMO

FlatBlackCaddy

Yes, and I don't buy the "It's their car, they can do what they want" BS.

I mean I wouldn't force anyone to do a trackday. However if you own a sports car, especially the rich guys with their vipers and Z06's and Italian car, and don't do track days then you are just a douchebag.

In some ways I think a lot of those cars deserve better owners, owners that will use them properly. But it is a free country. Even if it's a waste of a perfectly good automobile.

I wouldn't buy a true track car, like a Caterham or radical and not track it.

But I'd definitely get a sports car or a track capable sports car and not regularly track it.  Honestly I've never done anything more than autocross with the Z06, and I've only done that a few times.  Frankly I don't have the time.  In fact the commute to the hospital is one of the few times of "me" time that I get.  Still it doesn't mean I haven't had tons of fun and made many memories with the car.

Honestly if I didn't give a shit about my Z06, I'd be more inclined to track it. But I'm very fond of that car and I've had so many memories made with doing stupid shit in my youth with the car that now has got a fair amount of sentimental value.

I think there so nothing wrong with owning a high performance sports car and not going completely ape shit with it.  I think if anything that is the huge appeal of owning a car like that.  Even when you putter around town, a car like that can put a smile on your face and make the experience feel special.  Even when you are just stuck in traffic, it's feels like it's ready to start on the grid of the 24 hours of Lemans. 

That's the major difference between a car like a Z06 or Viper or GT-R and something still wholly enjoyable like a GTI or Focus ST.  I get giddy even when I'm sitting at a red light in my z06.  I get happy just seeing that rear end emerge when I open the garage door.  I keep looking back at the car when I park it at the parking lot.  My heart leaps every time the engine fires up.

And it may be silly but I'd strongly consider adding a new C7 z06 in the future, or maybe a new NSX, or a new GT-R but something like a stock C7 or a Mustang wouldn't be on the list.

Lebowski

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 15, 2014, 01:06:11 PM

Yes, and I don't buy the "It's their car, they can do what they want" BS.

I mean I wouldn't force anyone to do a trackday. However if you own a sports car, especially the rich guys with their vipers and Z06's and Italian car, and don't do track days then you are just a douchebag.

In some ways I think a lot of those cars deserve better owners, owners that will use them properly. But it is a free country. Even if it's a waste of a perfectly good automobile.

Problem is many or those better owners you claim the cars deserve can't afford them.

MX793

Nothing wrong with not taking a sports car to a track day.  Some people buy cars like these as "collector items" (and keep them locked away in a garage instead of driving them, which is a shame).  Some buy them for bragging rights.  Some buy them because they like them and can afford them.  All legit reasons to purchase a car.

Regularly tracking a car is expensive after you account for track fees, tires, brakes, fluids... Additionally, not everybody lives near a track (meaning a track day now includes hotel stays).  Presumably, anybody with the dough to buy a brand new, $100,000+ car has the means to afford the occasional track session, but folks who pick up more modest sports (or performance) cars like Miatas, Mustangs, or Camaros may well not have the disposable income to afford taking them to a track with any frequency, if at all.

If you buy a high performance car and then drive on public streets like you are at a race track rather than going to an actual track, you're a moron.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CALL_911

Quote from: Lebowski on December 15, 2014, 03:24:25 PM

Problem is many or those better owners you claim the cars deserve can't afford them.

I don't think he's serious dude

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Lebowski

Gotta-Qik-C7

Of all the sports cars (MR2,5.0 Fox,two Z28s,C6,G8 GT) I've owned none have been on a track. None of my bikes either. I would like to do a track day before I kick the bucket though...
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Lebowski on December 15, 2014, 04:43:12 PM

:huh: reads like a serious post to me.
Thats FBC's style

565 makes some compelling points. There is a pretty nice white C5 Z06 at my job. It is pretty special.

I guess to a degree it's not much different than buying a luxury car. But IMO with a luxury car at least you get to experience what it was built to do every time you hop in it.

r0tor

Why would I blow several thousands of dollars a year on fees, tires, and brakes driving on a track with little to no passing - when I can race wheel to wheel with go-karts and only spend a fraction of that?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed