Where do you put your phone in your car?

Started by MrH, December 31, 2014, 12:37:07 PM

MrH

Just thought I'd start a thread and see what people do with their phones while driving.  I'm surprised OEMs aren't integrating in some sort of phone holder spot.  Subaru is kind of doing that with some cars (I think the Outback has like a phone slot in the console?).

For the BRZ, there's a center console with a cupholder insert.  There's a slot in the side, I usually plug my phone in and then stand it up in there.  In the Genesis, I've been running a charging cable from the center console to the cup holder, and just leaving it there.

I'm seeing some pretty cool mount systems on Amazon, but I'm a big hesitant.  Any of you guys have unique solutions?  Just keep it in your pocket?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

I keep mine in my pocket unless I'm charging it in the car, then it goes in either the cup holder or the center armrest console.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

I keep it in the DIN cubby under the radio.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

Next to the ashtray, in a rubber lined pocket that was designed to hold a pack of cigarettes. Lighter is in th same pull out drawer.

With the Bluetooth radio installed, I can plug in the phone and close the drawer; phone is t visible at all.

But most of the time, it stays in my pocket.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Cookie Monster

I bought one of these:

Expensive, but got rid of the useless cupholders and it has a 12V power supply so I can charge my phone from it.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

FlatBlackCaddy

I tuck it underneath my crotch, keeps the boys warm.

93JC

Just keep it in my pocket or put it in the cupholder. When I driving I'm driving, I don't need to dick around with my phone.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Speed_Racer

Cupholder between the seats, unless it's charging in the armrest.

hotrodalex

El Camino - passenger seat if I'm alone, between the seat and trans tunnel if someone is in the passenger seat, or up on the dash if it's charging. Or in my pocket. :lol:

Mazda - cupholder

VW - passenger seat or pocket

Gotta-Qik-C7

G8: there's a nice little slot where the Aussie versions hand brake went. I lay it in there. In my work van it goes in the cup holder. When I'm on my bike it goes in the rear of the bike where I have a charger thats hard wired to the battery.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SVT666

I have a nice little windshield mount so that I can still use my cupholders for....cups, and I can see the call display.  I have a bluetooth add-on for the stereo, so I never have to touch the phone.

280Z Turbo

I need to figure out something for the E46. I had an iPhone USB connection head unit in the Focus and I kinda miss it. I had a nice little cubby under the head unit that fit my phone perfectly. I guess I can give up a bit of phone connectivity for 100 more hp and RWD. :lol:

Anybody use one of those vent mounts for an iPhone? I wonder how stable they are and if they damage my vent.

dazzleman

Quote from: MX793 on December 31, 2014, 12:55:41 PM
I keep mine in my pocket unless I'm charging it in the car, then it goes in either the cup holder or the center armrest console.

This is exactly what I do.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rich

It's up on the dash if I'm using it as a GPS+charging (windshield mount), in the passenger seat if it's charging, and I'm cruising, in between/under my legs if I'm doing spirited driving.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MexicoCityM3

I got iOttie mounts on the M5 and MINI. They work great.

On the 1M I use the cup holder and on the E46 I should get a mount as well. I just put it sideways on the lower center console above the thingamagig that covers the ashtray.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

hotrodalex

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on December 31, 2014, 08:27:04 PM
I just put it sideways on the lower center console above the thingamagig that covers the ashtray.

Yup, that was the go-to spot in my E46.

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 31, 2014, 07:25:52 PM
Anybody use one of those vent mounts for an iPhone? I wonder how stable they are and if they damage my vent.

My brother had an iphone vent mount before he upgraded to an iphone 6. Worked pretty well in his Focus and was stable. Get one that is made specifically for whatever phone you have, they're sturdier than adjustable ones.

12,000 RPM

For all the folks that stash em away... u dont use GPS? Listen to music? I have my phone out a lot for that
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 31, 2014, 09:19:14 PM
For all the folks that stash em away... u dont use GPS? Listen to music? I have my phone out a lot for that

Yep, I had a holder but just putting it in the cupholder proved easier.

SVT_Power

Not really sure what it's for originally, but I put it in the little space just behind the window switches (left of them in the picture)

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

FoMoJo

Quote from: SVT_Power on January 01, 2015, 12:45:12 AM
Not really sure what it's for originally, but I put it in the little space just behind the window switches (left of them in the picture)

Isn't that where you stick your fingertips when you close the door?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Byteme

Quote from: 93JC on December 31, 2014, 01:39:38 PM
Just keep it in my pocket or put it in the cupholder. When I driving I'm driving, I don't need to dick around with my phone.

Yup, same thing here.  No time for the phone.  I'm too busy jacking around with the GPS and my drink and snacks.   :lol:

Byteme

For all the folks that stash em away... u dont use GPS? Listen to music?

No, and we probably don't spell "you" as "u" either.     :lol:

dazzleman

My car has a GPS and satellite radio built in, so I don't use the phone for that.

Like Mark (93JC), I don't like to dick around with the phone when I'm driving.  I don't even like to answer a call hands free.  My concentration is on going as fast as possible.  :evildude:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 31, 2014, 08:26:36 PM
It's up on the dash if I'm using it as a GPS+charging (windshield mount), in the passenger seat if it's charging, and I'm cruising, in between/under my legs if I'm doing spirited driving.

Why don't you just keep it in your pocket if you're doing spirited driving?

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT_Power on January 01, 2015, 12:45:12 AM

In a lot of cars there's a hole in the bottom of that, at least for the front seats. I have no idea why.

dazzleman

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 31, 2014, 01:35:16 PM
I tuck it underneath my crotch, keeps the boys warm.

It's probably not good for them.

SVT666

I use my phone for GPS too, so it needs to be where I can see it.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no