Your next car...

Started by Laconian, January 11, 2015, 03:22:57 PM

TBR

veeman

2007 - Hyundai Sonata V6 (nanny drives this car and used to shuttle the kids around to their various activities.  110,000 miles.  No big problems.  Have had to fix/replace minor things.  Drives fine.  Out of warranty now.  Car is paid for.)

2009 - Buick Enclave (wife drives this car to work and used very frequently for any weekend or vacation trips.  110,000 miles.  Gave me a scare a few months ago because I thought transmission was toast but ended up just being low on oil.  No big problems.  Have had to fix/replace minor things.  Few interior gadgets quit working like rear passenger compartment heating/AC and front seat heaters/coolers but car still drives great and looks good.  Out of warranty now.  Car is paid for.)

2013 - VW Beetle (my car.  26,000 miles). 

Wife is bugging me for new car, because, she wants one.  She wants an Escalade or GMC Yukon or some SUV of that size.  I'm trying to hold her back for another year because I don't want to add another @1,000 dollar monthly payment.  The Enclave is worth very little on a trade in and I'd love to keep it until 2016.  As long as a big powertrain item doesn't kick it, I'll be able to convince her to hold on.  Come spring of 2016 (or earlier if some powertrain issue comes up) will replace with something new.  No way on the Escalade or GMC Yukon Denali as those are out of budget.  Also a pain to fit in the garage.  From a cost/space perspective, may try to convince her to agree with a (shudder) minivan.  In the end, I myself probably won't go for it either and will get a Lincoln MKT.  I think they look cool and the third row is large enough for kids.   

AutobahnSHO

Minivans are simply the best for driving on pavement.

I'm wavering between that and a Crossover/SUV because I want to eventually pull a trailer. Minivans top out at about 2500lbs towing.
Will

SJ_GTI

Like most car guys (I assume) I am almost always daydreaming about my next car, so great thread idea.  :lol:

The problem I keep running in to whenever I start thinking about getting a new car is that I like my current car so much. It just fits my preferences perfect. Its AWD with a RWD bias (60% of the power to the rear, and yes you can actually feel the difference in low traction situations), 6MT, and 300+ HP. The only think I am not a big fan of is the size (I'd prefer a 3-series sized car, the A4 grew a bit too much in this last generation IMHO) and I would prefer turbocharging over supercharging, all else being equal.

A 335i could theoretically meet my criteria, but I would lose AWD. If it had a LSD I think I'd be more open to it. When I was shopping originally it also turned out to be more expensive to option out a 335i than a comparably equipped (they way I want it) S4, which seems crazy.

I could see myself getting a DSG or other sequential manual instead of a 6MT is the overall package was better, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to get a regular slushie automatic  ever again (and I worry I would get tired of even a DSG after a few months).

I don't think I could bring myself to get another FWD car again. The closest I could ever see myself getting to FWD is a haldex AWD setup.

So with all that said I am curious to see how the next gen A4/S4 turns out. If they switch to a turbo V6 instead of a SC V6 I would probably dive straight in. If they stick with the same SC V6 even upgrading at that point would be a tough sell, unless/until repairs and maintenance becomes too much of a hassle.

68_427

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 15, 2015, 06:52:11 AM
Like most car guys (I assume) I am almost always daydreaming about my next car, so great thread idea.  :lol:

The problem I keep running in to whenever I start thinking about getting a new car is that I like my current car so much. It just fits my preferences perfect. Its AWD with a RWD bias (60% of the power to the rear, and yes you can actually feel the difference in low traction situations), 6MT, and 300+ HP. The only think I am not a big fan of is the size (I'd prefer a 3-series sized car, the A4 grew a bit too much in this last generation IMHO) and I would prefer turbocharging over supercharging, all else being equal.

A 335i could theoretically meet my criteria, but I would lose AWD. If it had a LSD I think I'd be more open to it. When I was shopping originally it also turned out to be more expensive to option out a 335i than a comparably equipped (they way I want it) S4, which seems crazy.

I could see myself getting a DSG or other sequential manual instead of a 6MT is the overall package was better, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to get a regular slushie automatic  ever again (and I worry I would get tired of even a DSG after a few months).

I don't think I could bring myself to get another FWD car again. The closest I could ever see myself getting to FWD is a haldex AWD setup.

So with all that said I am curious to see how the next gen A4/S4 turns out. If they switch to a turbo V6 instead of a SC V6 I would probably dive straight in. If they stick with the same SC V6 even upgrading at that point would be a tough sell, unless/until repairs and maintenance becomes too much of a hassle.

Chevy SS 6MT
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 68_427 on January 15, 2015, 06:56:25 AM
Chevy SS 6MT

I actually think that is a decent car (not sure it comes with a 6MT though), but one problem:

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 15, 2015, 06:52:11 AM
...The only think I am not a big fan of is the size (I'd prefer a 3-series sized car, the A4 grew a bit too much in this last generation IMHO)...

I think the SS is A6 sized (or even bigger).

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 15, 2015, 09:25:44 AM
I actually think that is a decent car (not sure it comes with a 6MT though), but one problem:

It got a 6 Speed and MR Shocks for 2015.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SVT666

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 15, 2015, 09:25:44 AM

The SS is full size, so more like A8 sized.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on January 15, 2015, 09:54:44 AM
The SS is full size, so more like A8 sized.

Per C&D wheelbase/length:
Chevy SS  114.8/195.5
A6            114.6/194.2
A8            117.8/202.2

Xer0

If my Si would die tomorrow, I would probably replace it with a GTI and test drive a Fiesta ST at least but probably wouldn't pick up the Fiesta because of how immature it is.  Ideally, I'd want a 6spd, 240hp TLX/ILX.

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 15, 2015, 11:23:56 AM
Chevy SS  114.8/195.5
Interesting.  I keep reading the SS is a full size car, but those are closer to mid size than full size.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 15, 2015, 11:23:56 AM
Chevy SS  114.8/195.5

Huh, surprised they aren't bigger. I think my car is around 110/185. You'd think there would be more separation between the A4 and A6. IMHO I would like a car that is under 180 inches long if it is a sedan (not too worried about wheel base, but probably longer the better). If it is a hatchback that is even shorter, so much the better.

GoCougs

N/A V8, 6MT, Magne-Ride? I think the SS is mega awesome and way better than the M5, E63, etc., crowd, which are just not very good cars - too isolated, too automatic, too much power.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SVT666 on January 15, 2015, 11:57:59 AM
Interesting.  I keep reading the SS is a full size car, but those are closer to mid size than full size.
Is interior volume included also? The SS/G8 are HUGE inside! My car has WAY more interior/trunk space than I'll ever need!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

MrH

SS/G8 are almost the exact same size as my Genesis.  They're basically the only two vehicles that split the 5-series/7-series class.  I guess the Accord almost does too.

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

Also, my coworkers that went to the Detroit auto show came back completely in love with the new miata.  They said it's even more roomy than the NC.

:wub:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Can't wait to test drive it. :-O

My husband is a little twitchy about the prospect of getting a very small car again, after the big accident that totaled the Miata on the interstate. I should get him in therapy so I can get my Miata. ;)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

I am enjoying the Civic. I like the new Mazda 3... Id be down to replace the Civic with the 2.5 6MT in a couple of years. I think I will replace the bike next year. I want something with ~100HP, <450lb wet weight and an old man friendly riding position. Pretty much anything from an SV1000 to a Speed Triple. Actually really feeling the SV1000S, prob what I will do.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on January 12, 2015, 04:26:07 PM
Cobra

Yeah, but not black and gold, unless you're a huge Steelers/rapist fan.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

Quote from: Raza  on January 18, 2015, 07:53:03 AM

But then you'd have to eliminate blue and white (Penn St) as well. 

hotrodalex

Quote from: Raza  on January 18, 2015, 07:53:03 AM

Black/yellow would be Steelers.

dazzleman

I'd love to get a classic car.  First thoughts are a '56 Ford Fairlane or a '65 Ford Galaxie.  Not sure I'm up to the maintenance though.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on January 18, 2015, 12:37:44 PM
I'd love to get a classic car.  First thoughts are a '56 Ford Fairlane or a '65 Ford Galaxie.  Not sure I'm up to the maintenance though.
Any car clubs out your way?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 18, 2015, 01:48:16 PM
Any car clubs out your way?

I'm sure there are but I'm not plugged in.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

GoCougs

Thing is self maintenance/repair is a big part of the allure of the world of classic car ownership ;).

Most places would probably do an oil change or brake or radiator service, but anything beyond that, and it could be a chore to find a reputable place.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on January 18, 2015, 02:09:38 PM
Thing is self maintenance/repair is a big part of the allure of the world of classic car ownership ;).

Most places would probably do an oil change or brake or radiator service, but anything beyond that, and it could be a chore to find a reputable place.

That's what I'm afraid of.

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on January 18, 2015, 02:03:41 PM
I'm sure there are but I'm not plugged in.
Quote from: dazzleman on January 18, 2015, 02:17:17 PM
That's what I'm afraid of.
Car clubs would have knowledge of the various places to get appropriate service, etc.  Typically, they are a very friendly and helpful group.  They would, likely, even assist in getting a car that you would be contented with.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Rupert

Eh, it's not hard to find a place, especially if it's an old American car with carbs. No one can fix a Citroen DS, few are trustworthy enough to fix my 944, but old carbed American cars are all about the same and a dime a dozen. Most enthusiasts in this country have them, most mechanics can fix them. If you want to get picky though, and I would, find an old man mechanic who's selective about the cars they accept (i.e. don't really need the work). They're usually cheap, too. I can think of three or four places I would happily take an old American car in Boise.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

GoCougs

If you're buying a super nice/restored/mint/concurs classic, you better not be taking it to Billy Bob's Fix-n-Tow or Maaco ;).

Not many reputable place exist that will put a new fender on a nice '57 Chevy or redo the fuel tank and lines of a '66 Mustang. Too few such cars, parts availability/quality are variable, when working on old cars collateral damage is common (replace coolant and let the heater dry out and watch what happens ;)), and customer satisfaction can be hard. If you do find a kick ass shade tree guy, they seem to always be backed way up, there's fewer of them by the year, they disappear (due to health, even death) often, and they don't have the resources to remedy a major mistake.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on January 18, 2015, 02:38:58 PM
If you're buying a super nice/restored/mint/concurs classic, you better not be taking it to Billy Bob's Fix-n-Tow or Maaco ;).

Not many reputable place exist that will put a new fender on a nice '57 Chevy or redo the fuel tank and lines of a '66 Mustang. Too few such cars, parts availability/quality are variable, when working on old cars collateral damage is common (replace coolant and let the heater dry out and watch what happens ;)), and customer satisfaction can be hard. If you do find a kick ass shade tree guy, they seem to always be backed way up, there's fewer of them by the year, they disappear (due to health, even death) often, and they don't have the resources to remedy a major mistake.
Uh no.  There are all kinds of places.