Your next car...

Started by Laconian, January 11, 2015, 03:22:57 PM

Laconian

I'm thinking of creating a recurring sticky thread where you can share your most current thinking on what an appealing next car for you might be.

I think my next car will be a little smaller than what I have now. My lower body's in good shape again so I'm no longer stickshift-averse. I'm thinking my next car will be a fun and smaller four cylinder model, with a small turbo.

ND MX-5.
MQB VW GTI. This car is getting amazing reviews.
Subaru WRX.
Toyobaru FreezeBreeze, probably more Breeze than Freeze.
Mini Cooper S.
Fiesta ST.

I won't be buying for at least a year or two, so I'm not in any hurry. I'll sell my car when my warranty runs out, because I don't want to be liable for PRHT repairs. Plus, I've had my fun with 300+hp...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Any driveable Miata <$2000.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Focus ST Tangerine Scream.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

FIRST,

I want a people hauler. 5 people for longer trips= larger SUV/crossover or minivan. Since I might get a small camp trailer in a couple years, I kind of lean to SUV/Crossover more than minivan. Probably looking in the $5-11k range. Currently My list goes (my most preferable to least)
-Flex, Pilot, Highlander, SRX, Explorer
-Odyssey, Sienna, Caravan, Montana

THEN,
-Miata, other convertible
Will

Lebowski

No changes for me for awhile.  4runner replacement is probably 2-3 years out, will be another SUV possibly another 4runner.

GoCougs

GTI for the win.

G37 is rocking ~76k miles and all is well. No new car currently appeals so I'll be holding onto it for a time.

SVT666

My next car will be in roughly 2.5 to 3 years.  The Explorer will be relegated to towing the boat and winter highway driving, and we decided to keep the Infiniti.  So the next vehicle will be a car,and it will be my daily driver since the only time I drive the Infiniti now is when we go out for dinner.  I will be getting something sporty but with a usable backseat since both my kids are monsters.  At that point I might be able to get a used low mileage Gen 2 Charger SRT-8, Gen 2 CTS-V, or XF Supercharged for a reasonable price.  I thought about a G8 GT, but low mileage examples are still outrageously priced.  I'm leaning towards the CTS-V (fingers crossed for a wagon) because it's the best of the three, but it's also available with a stick.

Speed_Racer

For me, I don't plan on replacing the Kizashi for at least another five years when the warranty expires. I really love the car and if it's still running well and replacement parts aren't too hard to come by, I'll just hold on to it until it dies.

Unless my life situation changes drastically when that time comes, I'll likely go back to a 4x4 pickup or SUV. Something along the lines of a 4Runner/Tacoma/F150. They're just so useful if you only own one vehicle, and I do enjoy exploring back roads/trails.

Rupert

Fiat, Alfa, Saab probably. Probably waiting until I'm out of Boise.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

GoCougs

Quote from: GoCougs on January 11, 2015, 05:22:41 PM
GTI for the win.

G37 is rocking ~76k miles and all is well. No new car currently appeals so I'll be holding onto it for a time.

But Jesus, not that I've got my ski rack and snow tires on, and throw in this region's  :facepalm:  use of ethanol-laced fuel, I'm getting ~17 mpg...

Colin

Lease on the S5 Sportback runs out in May 2016, so I will be in selection mode for real around the end of the year.

Short list has the following on it:

Maserati Ghibli
Jaguar XE

Depending on whether they make it in time or not, it could also include:

Alfa Giulia
B9 generation of Audi S4/S5

The Abarth is a keeper, so no plans to replace it........ ever!

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

dazzleman

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

2o6

A used manual compact or subcompact, 2010 or newer

My sort of BF is trying to talk me into a Fiat 500. He had one and regrets getting rid of it for his ILX

68_427

Quote from: 2o6 on January 12, 2015, 06:23:26 AM
A used manual compact or subcompact, 2010 or newer

My sort of BF is trying to talk me into a Fiat 500. He had one and regrets getting rid of it for his ILX

Abarf
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MX793

New Mustang is at the top of my list.  I'll likely wait for the 2016 model to see if Ford makes any updates in response to somewhat lukewarm reviews from the press and the all new 2016 Camaro.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Jeep replacement might be something like the new Land Rover Disco Sport or Evoque.  Maybe a Porsche Macan?  Raptor??? At the rate its falling apart, I'm guessing this is going to occur sooner than later.

Car wise I still don't see a good new car replacement for the RX8... Push comes to shove, maybe an S3 or M235i.  Maybe a used IS-F.  Don't know... GT350 mustang?

The Focus will live forever or until I become a millionaire.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MexicoCityM3

I think anyone here could guess my list but here it goes anyway.

Nothing new until December of 2015 at the soonest if the year goes well, this year my budget is blown with wedding related expenses I can barely hold on to what I've already got.

Most probable:

One of:

- Slightly used F10 M5
- New CTS-V

One of:

- New M2
- New M4 Competition Package (I am sure this is coming)
- New Boxster GTS
- Used 911S/911GTS/911GT3/911TT

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on January 12, 2015, 08:29:04 AM

At the rate its falling apart, I'm guessing this is going to occur sooner than later.

Seriously?  Isn't the jeep still fairly new?

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on January 12, 2015, 07:14:26 AM
New Mustang is at the top of my list.  I'll likely wait for the 2016 model to see if Ford makes any updates in response to somewhat lukewarm reviews from the press and the all new 2016 Camaro.
I only read one lukewarm review.  The rest have been glowing.

SVT666

Quote from: Lebowski on January 12, 2015, 09:36:05 AM

It's a Jeep though. 

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on January 12, 2015, 09:36:05 AM

4 years old... Blown shock replaced a few months ago - took 2 weeks to find a shock due to availability.  Something intermittent in the brake system is going wrong.  Half, yes half, the engine has an extended warranty because engines are popping left and right... Coworker just had his done.  More recalls then I can keep track of - and of course Chrysler won't offer any rental to fix them so its always up to you to make it work.

Fuck chrysler
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

dazzleman

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 12, 2015, 09:27:53 AM
I think anyone here could guess my list but here it goes anyway.

Nothing new until December of 2015 at the soonest if the year goes well, this year my budget is blown with wedding related expenses I can barely hold on to what I've already got.

Most probable:

One of:

- Slightly used F10 M5
- New CTS-V

One of:

- New M2
- New M4 Competition Package (I am sure this is coming)
- New Boxster GTS
- Used 911S/911GTS/911GT3/911TT

You're going to have one super cool garage, man.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

MrH

You're going to drive $130k+ worth of cars and make your wife drive a focus? :wtf: :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: dazzleman on January 12, 2015, 09:56:37 AM
You're going to have one super cool garage, man.

I hope so, nothing is certain it depends completely on our performance over the next couple of years.

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: MrH on January 12, 2015, 10:10:32 AM
You're going to drive $130k+ worth of cars and make your wife drive a focus? :wtf: :lol:

In my case, wife will get a house at some point in the next couple of years. So, not a Focus but the MINI will do fine until its warranty runs out (2.5 years from now).
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

r0tor

Quote from: MrH on January 12, 2015, 10:10:32 AM

I can't fathom giving a typical woman the keys to anything more powerful or pricey than a focus

MrH

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 12, 2015, 10:28:06 AM
In my case, wife will get a house at some point in the next couple of years. So, not a Focus but the MINI will do fine until its warranty runs out (2.5 years from now).

That was directed at r0tor, not you :hammerhead: :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

hotrodalex

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: r0tor on January 12, 2015, 09:55:27 AM
4 years old... Blown shock replaced a few months ago - took 2 weeks to find a shock due to availability.  Something intermittent in the brake system is going wrong.  Half, yes half, the engine has an extended warranty because engines are popping left and right... Coworker just had his done.  More recalls then I can keep track of - and of course Chrysler won't offer any rental to fix them so its always up to you to make it work.

Fuck chrysler
You shudda went with GM......  :mask:

I'm seriously considering replacing the G8 this spring if all goes right. I was gonna wait for the new Camaro to debut but I'm gonna spend over 30K for my next vehicle. At that price point more than likley I'll be in another C6 until C7s fall into my range.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide