2016 Volt

Started by ifcar, January 12, 2015, 05:21:18 AM

SJ_GTI

Here's a hint as to why your posts look so silly...

Quote from: SVT666 on January 15, 2015, 11:59:31 AM
A Chevy 3500 HD DOES look as expensive as a 3 series.

Not to me it doesn't. To me they look like 20k work trucks.

2o6

yeah, the Silvy has a nice interior, but it's not luxury car nice. (Although in some trims it gets hella close)

hotrodalex

Quote from: 2o6 on January 15, 2015, 12:51:50 PM
yeah, the Silvy has a nice interior, but it's not luxury car nice. (Although in some trims it gets hella close)

The nice ones are like $500k though.

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 15, 2015, 10:34:27 AM
These people do exist though. They buy Priuses, VW TDIs and other hybrids/PHEVs/EVs/alternative fuel vehicles to make that market sustainable

Lets not entertain or imply the red herring that anything that doesn't hit top 10 sales volumes is a failure. The last Volt was moving 25K/yr despite being a materially worse car than this one, and it was not far off in sales from the likes of the CLA (27K last year in the USA), A3 (22K last year), ILX (17K), S60 (20K) etc. etc. Those, not the 3, A4, etc which will probably need to cost at least 50K to be equally equipped, are its real competitors.
Seems difficult for you to understand but the concept of someone not needing to make a statement of conspicuous consumption with their auto purchases. A $40K Accord Hybrid looks like a $25K Accord with more accoutrements. Not to mention size and expense have always gone hand in hand and this car's purpose inherently limits its size. If u want to fool people u dont know into thinking u have a lot of money u can buy a new Genesis for the same money, or roll the dice on a W221 S-Class. But again u miss the point- who is cross shopping cars like those with new Volts?  :hmm:

25k a year doesn't sound bad until you compare it to the 60k a year sales its business plan called for.  Then 25k per hear is a nightmare.

You take a half hour to research sales figures and then miss the entire point.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on January 15, 2015, 01:12:29 PM
25k a year doesn't sound bad until you compare it to the 60k a year sales its business plan called for.  Then 25k per hear is a nightmare.

Half hour lol. 10 minutes.

And the mainstreaming of its appearance will help a lot with meeting those sales figures.

Quote from: SVT666 on January 15, 2015, 11:59:31 AM
A Chevy 3500 HD DOES look as expensive as a 3 series. 

Maybe a stripper 320i on 16s... aka 25-30K at best. My Civic has a chrome grill and alloy wheels, I guess it looks like a 40K car too.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

NomisR

Quote from: SVT666 on January 14, 2015, 09:58:09 PM
This thing is in the same price range as base 3 series, C class, and A4. Yes, those cars have exteriors that look more upscale.  Stop being so obtuse.

Seriously, other than the Audi, the 3 series and C class interior doesn't look exactly upscale either..  It's just as plasticy or sometimes even more so than a lot of mainstreamers.  And basically at that price, you're getting a stripper base model that doesn't exist. 

SVT666

Where have I said anything about the interior?  I've been talking about the exterior styling.

NomisR

Quote from: SVT666 on January 15, 2015, 02:59:58 PM
Where have I said anything about the interior?  I've been talking about the exterior styling.

I wouldn't really consider the Hyundai and Kia's exterior styling high end either.  Their styling is really bling bling in a non-descript sorta way.  IOW, they try to make it all flash and no substance, and basically when you see a car and you can't tell what it is on the road, you can also assume it's a Korean because they made a collage ingredients of other cars that looks good without any distinctions of their own. 

At least with this model, in a way it reminds me of the TSX which was priced in the same price range.. with a hint of the Civic.

Plus, with all the Hybrid incentives and what not, this is actually a high 20s, low 30s car, not a $40k car.  OTOH,  you have basically the plug in version of the Accord/Fusion/Prius that's selling for higher price then the previous gen Volt yet those are $20k cars selling for $40k, nobody seems to complain..

hotrodalex

Quote from: r0tor on January 15, 2015, 01:12:29 PM

That's completely irrelevant to the point he was making.

r0tor

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 15, 2015, 03:44:28 PM
That's completely irrelevant to the point he was making.

No, his point was the people that buy volts like blah blah blah.... Simply pointing out it doesn't matter because not enough people were buying them - might as well start from scratch
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on January 15, 2015, 03:59:57 PM
No, his point was the people that buy volts like blah blah blah.... Simply pointing out it doesn't matter because not enough people were buying them - might as well start from scratch
No, starting from scratch is not necessary.. Platform and tech are sound, its just frou frou shit like making designs that scream "this costs a lot of money, Im important, my monthly payment is at least $500"

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 15, 2015, 04:13:01 PM
No, starting from scratch is not necessary.. Platform and tech are sound, its just frou frou shit like making designs that scream "this costs a lot of money, Im important, my monthly payment is at least $500"
That's not what I was saying at all.  Jesus fucking Christ.  Is there really something wrong with wanting a $40K car to look like a $40K car?  I don't give a rat's ass what other people think of my cars.  I drive an 8 year old Ford Explorer.  If I gave a shit what OTHER people thought of my vehicles I would be driving a Range Rover.  Like I said before, the Volt is cool tech and (IMO) a much better hybrid concept than the Prius.  If it weren't for Chevy's reliability track record, it's a car I would entertain one day...but not when it's styled like a cheap econobox.

2o6

...you can't really do too much with the proportions. It's cruze based, and the milquetoast proportions show that.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT666 on January 15, 2015, 05:38:28 PM
That's not what I was saying at all.  Jesus fucking Christ.  Is there really something wrong with wanting a $40K car to look like a $40K car?  I don't give a rat's ass what other people think of my cars.  I drive an 8 year old Ford Explorer.  If I gave a shit what OTHER people thought of my vehicles I would be driving a Range Rover.  Like I said before, the Volt is cool tech and (IMO) a much better hybrid concept than the Prius.  If it weren't for Chevy's reliability track record, it's a car I would entertain one day...but not when it's styled like a cheap econobox.
But u drove (and loved) an econobox for years, and drive an Explorer, which could be equipped to 40K in its day and still look like a Ford Ranger with a baseball cap.

And by the time u will be looking at these, they will be priced like econoboxes. So I dont see your problem with its econobox styling. If it looks like an econobox its one of the better looking ones by a long shot.

Eye of the Tiger

I think it is styled like a "hybrid" (Prius), which is a stupid style. Some aspects are genuinely aerodynamic, but other parts (especially goofy interiors) are just for marketing to ignorant tree huggers.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

It'll be interesting to see what $2.00/gal does to its sales.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

NomisR

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 16, 2015, 12:47:36 PM
It'll be interesting to see what $2.00/gal does to its sales.

:lol:  It's almost not worth it to charge my car anymore even at home because it'll drive me into Tier 4 at $0.31/KWH.  It means i'm paying the equivilent of $3.41/gal.  At  Tier 1, totally worth it... so depends on your electricity bill.. now when i'm out, and free charging, hell yeah.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on January 16, 2015, 09:01:29 PM
Looks pretty decent.

A faux leather watchband can also look decent.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ChrisV

Wow, a whole bunch of people in here that don't know what they are talking about.

Posting a pic of the original white interior and forgetting that it had a dark interior option that looked a million times better, like mine:

Looked quite upscale with the leather and suede interior in mine.

As for the car selling well, you have to remember, it was NOT advertised hardly at all except at the very beginning, it was a political football where the right wing slammed it as an Obamacar, even though it was started in '06 under GWB. And if you went to the dealership to look at one, the salesmen knew NOTHING about them and tried to steer you to Cruzes and Malibus instead.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Atomic

Quote from: thecarnut on January 12, 2015, 06:35:30 AM
Looks like an Acura front and Civic taillights.

I like it.

Agreed on all accounts. The only resembles of any GM product -- maybe not such a bad thing, after all,  is that the once fresh looking interior (i.e., seats, colors) is now looking dated. Otherwise, the vehicle is fresh and more exciting, even if taking cues from Honda-Acura.

Atomic

^ Chris V, that looks nice. I am referring to the two-tone color combination that a display model should be shown in something fresh and innovative like the totally revised exterior and its eye catching color for MY16.

hotrodalex

Quote from: ChrisV on January 19, 2015, 01:40:59 PM
Posting a pic of the original white interior and forgetting that it had a dark interior option that looked a million times better, like mine:

Looks better, but still the slick dash design. 2016 model is improved over that. :huh:

NomisR

Best improvement in the 2016 Volt is that they finally did away with the retarded capacitive touch panels and went back to real buttons.  Hard to use, slow and annoying...