The Official Sixth Gen Camaro Thread!

Started by Gotta-Qik-C7, January 19, 2015, 06:37:04 PM

SVT666

The interior is a huge upgrade over the old, but I still don't like the interior styling. 

From some angles the car looks almost plebeian...especially with the non-SS trim front fascia.  In SS trim I quite like the front half, but the rear half is somewhat underwhelming.

r0tor

Putting aside any hatred of GM, I honestly would never look at this car for purchase.  I think the interior still looks gimmicky and horrid with the massive tacked on screen, visibility is god aweful, styling is old, useless rear seats... Bleh, I would rather have a ATS-v, and that's not saying much
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Its game over for the Rustang.  With this around why would anyone without a major brain injury even consider a Mustang at this point?   The SS will be 200 pounds lighter than the current Camaro.  Given that the current Mustang V8 is exactly the same weight as the Camaro, and the GT350 Shelby is a claimed 130 pounds lighter than the Mustang GT, then this Camaro SS will be lighter than the upcoming GT350 and likely the GT350R as well, and only about 45hp down.  Add to the fact that the SS will have the magnetic dampers as an option, something that Ford made a big deal about with the GT350.  Plus Ford is a Magneride noob, while GM practically invented the technology.

This new SS will devour the current Mustang GT and if you slap on comparable tires will probably give the GT350 a good run for its money.  The new ZL1 and Z28 are just going to make Ford engineers cry.  No wonder they advertising that are only making 100 GT350s and 37 GT350Rs this year,  trying to bank on promised exclusivity and supposed rarity as a crutch for subpar engineering, just like Ford is trying to do with the new GT (400k, give me break), and the first GT500s (suckers paying 80K thinking they would be exclusive, and then finding out that they kept just rolling them out).

GoCougs

Is that anything new though? Save for curiosities here and there (Terminator Cobra, Boss 302 'till the 1LE) the Camaro has been the overall better performer since '93 yet people still bought plenty of Mustangs. If by the grace of the sweet baby Jesus the Camaro wasn't the better performer I'd still choose the Camaro (prefer the styling and tech).

GoCougs

This looks pretty good. Not so sure about the winged spoiler, though small as it may be. Overall effect seems to work well:

SVT666

Quote from: 565 on May 17, 2015, 08:39:26 AM
Its game over for the Rustang.  With this around why would anyone without a major brain injury even consider a Mustang at this point?   The SS will be 200 pounds lighter than the current Camaro.  Given that the current Mustang V8 is exactly the same weight as the Camaro, and the GT350 Shelby is a claimed 130 pounds lighter than the Mustang GT, then this Camaro SS will be lighter than the upcoming GT350 and likely the GT350R as well, and only about 45hp down.  Add to the fact that the SS will have the magnetic dampers as an option, something that Ford made a big deal about with the GT350.  Plus Ford is a Magneride noob, while GM practically invented the technology.

This new SS will devour the current Mustang GT and if you slap on comparable tires will probably give the GT350 a good run for its money.  The new ZL1 and Z28 are just going to make Ford engineers cry.  No wonder they advertising that are only making 100 GT350s and 37 GT350Rs this year,  trying to bank on promised exclusivity and supposed rarity as a crutch for subpar engineering, just like Ford is trying to do with the new GT (400k, give me break), and the first GT500s (suckers paying 80K thinking they would be exclusive, and then finding out that they kept just rolling them out).
That limited run is just for 2015 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the original GT350. For 2016 the numbers will be more like 10,000 for the regular GT350.

Since the SS has 440 hp and the GT350 will have 540 or so, it's down 100 hp, not 45.

r0tor

Oh, and this is how you do the air vents control the temp thing...

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FlatBlackCaddy

Wow

GoCougs

Meh, auto temp control in a car is worthless and actually dialing up a specific temp is a window dressing.

FlatBlackCaddy

I overide the auto systems in every car I ever had.

SVT666

Cookie Monster

Quote from: GoCougs on May 17, 2015, 09:11:08 AM
This looks pretty good. Not so sure about the winged spoiler, though small as it may be. Overall effect seems to work well:

Honestly, I think it looks pretty damn good. Much better than the Mustang's silly looking front end, but god damn that huge beltline and tiny windows and crazy amount of sheetmetal over the rear wheels ruins the car for me.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

Rustang looks better but this appears to be a better car. Which has low key been the case for the two over the majority of their simultaneous existence. I would have to drive both but I could probably look past the looks and go with the Cmro.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Rich

I really wanted one last night. But I think I'll go with a '06/'07 Mustang GT. Still looks great and has decent handling and is about $25k cheaper.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: thecarnut on May 17, 2015, 09:58:12 AM
Honestly, I think it looks pretty damn good. Much better than the Mustang's silly looking front end, but god damn that huge beltline and tiny windows and crazy amount of sheetmetal over the rear wheels ruins the car for me.
I want to see one in person so I can see how the body lines effect the sheet metal over the rear wheels! I'm hoping it has a muscular look in the flesh.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Gotta-Qik-C7

just like Ford is trying to do with the new GT (400k, give me break), and the first GT500s (suckers paying 80K thinking they would be exclusive, and then finding out that they kept just rolling them out).
My money would go to an Adventador without a doubt.

SVT666

General Motors has revealed the all-new 2016 Chevrolet Camaro at a special media event at Detroit's Belle Isle, showing off a slimmer, sleeker pony car with a whole host of chassis and powertrain improvements.
First and foremost, the 2016 Camaro is lighter. Underpinned by GM's global Alpha platform, the new car is more than 200lbs lighter than its predecessor. Backing up that weight loss is a full suite of new and upgraded engines, topped off by a 455-horsepower, direct-injected, 6.2L LT1 V8.

Earlier reports were correct regarding the available engine configurations in the new Camaro, but weren't quite there on the horsepower figures. The V8's 455 horsepower is backed up by 455 lb-ft of torque. Next down the line from the V8 is a 3.6L V6 boasting 335 horsepower and 284 lb-ft of torque. The base engine is a two-liter, 275-horsepower, turbocharged four-cylinder.

For the first time, the Camaro SS will be available with GM's Magnetic Ride Control active suspension, previously available only on the supercharged ZL1. Drivers can switch between three different programs that manage damper adjustments for various conditions or driving styles. Engineers have also improved the Camaro's active exhaust system. Electronically-controlled valves can bypass the mufflers, improving performance and creating a louder sound. Alternatively, the valves can be set to a 'stealth' mode that is quieter than usual.

Also available on all Camaros will be a drive mode selector, allowing drivers to choose from modes that tailor multiple vehicle systems to varying conditions. Available modes will include "Snow/Ice," "Tour," and "Sport." SS models will also feature a "Track" mode.

The new Camaro's exterior styling is more evolutionary than revolutionary, carrying forward the vaguely retro-modern aethetic of the previous generation. Details here and there have been upgraded to accommodate new tech, including LED lighting.

The interior is all-new as well, featuring a "shifter-focused" center console, revised controls, and a flat-bottom steering wheel. GM promises higher quality materials throughout.

The engineering teams used structural modeling to improve stiffness by 28 percent compared to the current model, despite the chassis' weight reduction. Steering and suspension components are said to have been engineered without as much need to compensate for chassis flex. With a curb-weight reduction of more than 200 pounds, engineers were able to reduce unsprung weight by scaling the wheels, tires and brakes for the lighter vehicle. 70% of the chassis architecture is unique to the Camaro.

Looks like initial powertrain reports were off on the power production.  The SS is going to be a fucking monster.  My only question is regarding curb weight.  If the weight loss is really that significant, where are the official numbers?

MrH

Wow. I like this a lot. First "pony car" Id ever consider. Looks substantially better than the current car. Any word on pricing yet? Fully loaded with magnaride will be around $45k I take it?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on May 17, 2015, 02:02:24 PM
Wow. I like this a lot. First "pony car" Id ever consider. Looks substantially better than the current car. Any word on pricing yet? Fully loaded with magnaride will be around $45k I take it?
Pretty much.

12,000 RPM

Thats pretty fucking beastly.

This thing and the inevitably revamped, wider front tire'd Rustang GT are going to give pretty much everything north of them and south of a.... GT4? I said this when the '11 GT scarred the last M3 coupe. But unless u absolutely need the badge/image, wat would u lose going from an M4 down to a Magnaride SS or even a plain old GT with wider front tires and an upgraded suspension?

MX793

On paper, I like this car a lot.  The specs and content all look class-obliterating.  But they didn't fix the horrible outward sight lines and the trunk opening looks like it will barely accommodate a gym bag.  Both are a big deal for me.  The sight-lines were a deal-breaker for me 5 years ago, and still are.

I'm very curious about weight.  I'm wondering if this isn't going to be like the Aluminum F-150 where Ford claimed something like a 500 lbs drop in weight, but practically speaking it was closer to 300 lbs on higher end models/trims.  Makes me question if the SS is truly 200 lbs lighter, or only 100 lbs lighter than the outgoing model.  I'll be interested to see pricing, too.  Camaro is currently a bit more than the Mustang when similarly equipped and this new one brings a lot more content, granted many of the features they are advertising (Magneride, dual-mode muffler, 8" display in the IP) are not standard equipment.  Curious to see if they can keep the price in check or if it's going to balloon.

While I really liked the S550 Mustang I drove, and taken by itself it's a great car, Ford dropped the ball to some degree in the pony car battle.  Particularly in weight management, which is the hardest thing to fix/change on a platform once the platform is designed and in production.  You can always find a way to get more power from the motor or refine the ride quality, but dropping significant weight generally requires significant redesign of the core structure.  It simply shouldn't have been heavier than the S197 when similarly equipped.  Of course, GM had the benefit of platform sharing since they still build other RWD vehicles whereas the Mustang's platform is bespoke.  Ford no doubt could have made S550 lighter than it is, but would have compromised affordability in the process.  That Ford didn't feel inclined to attempt some kind of power upgrade for 2016 to try to counter the new Camaro is a bit of a :facepalm: as well, unless they've got something waiting in the wings for 2017.  The Coyote was designed for DI.  Not sure why they've been dragging their feet with adding it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

IMO limited platform strategy and the pony car price point isn't so much dropping the ball plus development of Ecoboost and all-aluminum F-150 the last 4-6 years no doubt sucked up at least some development dollars.

Adding DI takes some work though - beyond fitting the injectors, it'll need new pistons, valving, combustion chamber work, etc.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MX793 on May 17, 2015, 03:46:58 PM
On paper, I like this car a lot.  The specs and content all look class-obliterating.  But they didn't fix the horrible outward sight lines and the trunk opening looks like it will barely accommodate a gym bag.  Both are a big deal for me.  The sight-lines were a deal-breaker for me 5 years ago, and still are.
C&D reported outward visibility was improved on the Mule they drove. How much is the question!

MrH

IMO, this vehicle makes it really hard to buy a new corvette. This will be substantially cheaper and really close in performance and have all the same goodies.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on May 17, 2015, 05:18:17 PM
C&D reported outward visibility was improved on the Mule they drove. How much is the question!

One of the other press releases I read said that forward visibility improved by virtue of relocating the center HVAC registers to the bottom of the center stack, but rearward visibility got worse (somewhat less problematic with a backup camera, but still makes lane changes a leap of faith).  With how high the beltline is, lateral visibility will still be horrible. 
EDIT:  Found some pics

^^^Look at the driver's head through the side window.  The window sill is at mouth level (nearly to the driver's ears)!

^^^ You can actually see the tops of the driver's shoulders above the window sill in the S550.

I'm glad that they were able to improve at least the visibility in one direction (front), since the Camaro5 had poor sightlines all around.  When they improve the visibility out of the sides, I'll consider one.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CALL_911

I'm not in love with the styling, but this thing sounds fucking awesome

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MrH on May 17, 2015, 05:20:54 PM
IMO, this vehicle makes it really hard to buy a new corvette. This will be substantially cheaper and really close in performance and have all the same goodies.

Not really, corvette offers tons of benefits over a Camaro if your looking for performance and intend to use it (especially on a track)

GoCougs

The V8 Camaro has usually always been within a stone's throw of (base) Corvette performance, and sometimes even more so, esp. recently with the ZL1 and Z/28. FWIW I've always preferred the Camaro over the Corvette.

FlatBlackCaddy

The better weight distribution, better aerodynamics and lower center of gravity of the corvette are just a few benefits that can't be denied and are not subjective. Also, it at least has the profile and design of a proper high performance car.

12,000 RPM

When will any of those things ever really come into play for the average driver. Cmero's back seat and lower cost of entry will be beneficial every day.