The Official Sixth Gen Camaro Thread!

Started by Gotta-Qik-C7, January 19, 2015, 06:37:04 PM

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on January 26, 2018, 08:59:06 AM
Big things are coming.

As in, you're telling us at midnight, or like CarPlay for Mazdas?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on January 26, 2018, 08:59:06 AM
Big things are coming.

I think you should get one and relive your Party-maro days.... :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on January 27, 2018, 09:29:12 AM
As in, you're telling us at midnight, or like CarPlay for Mazdas?

Not quite at midnight, but things are in motion.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on January 27, 2018, 03:36:28 PM
Not quite at midnight, but things are in motion.

You need to get a 'maro and grow a mullet.  And then you can reprise the races you used to do on the back road in your town.  You could work that into your next high school reunion.  :devil:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Xer0

Written review of the refreshed Mustang vs Camaro is out on MT:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/camaro/2018/2018-chevrolet-camaro-ss-1le-vs-2018-ford-mustang-gt-performance-pack-comparison/

Ouch, MT panned the new GT PP pretty hard vs the 1LE.  Maybe they should have compared it to a regular SS or something, considerable price gap be damned.  The revised 5.0 sounds pretty great though. 

CaminoRacer

I can't get over the 2018 Mustang's front end. It looked great before - now it's horrible.

And it's a fat pig now! Over 100 lbs fatter than the 1LE. Oof.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on January 29, 2018, 07:54:23 PM
You need to get a 'maro and grow a mullet.  And then you can reprise the races you used to do on the back road in your town.  You could work that into your next high school reunion.  :devil:

Bad decisions = good stories. FWIW I drive that road all the time, albeit a lot calmer (and w/out knucklehead friends)...

GoCougs

Quote from: Xer0 on January 29, 2018, 10:33:50 PM

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/camaro/2018/2018-chevrolet-camaro-ss-1le-vs-2018-ford-mustang-gt-performance-pack-comparison/

Ouch, MT panned the new GT PP pretty hard vs the 1LE.  Maybe they should have compared it to a regular SS or something, considerable price gap be damned.  The revised 5.0 sounds pretty great though. 

True, the PP2 is the better match, but that doesn't sidestep the reality that the S550 chassis is 5-10 years behind the Alpha; the $64k GT350R barely outguns the $44k SS 1LE.

MX793

Quote from: Xer0 on January 29, 2018, 10:33:50 PM

Mustang's suspension tuning, even with the performance pack, is on the soft side.  The ride/handling balance is actually quite good with that suspension, even without the magnetic dampers.  Even on the rough roads around here it doesn't beat you up.  I think my Mazda3's suspension was more harsh.  The Ford's biggest detriment, however, is that it's out-tired by the Camaro.  The Chevy has 30 mm (that's over an inch) more tire front and rear.  Its fronts are wider than the Ford's rears.

Also, lol at them asserting that the Camaro's stopping distances are due to better brakes and not tires not long after they say that the Camaro can't match the Mustang in a burnout competition because the Camaro's tires are too sticky.  Both cars have more than enough brake to lock all 4 tires.  If one stops well shorter than the other, it's because the tire are able to apply more force to the road before skidding.

Chevy built the better performance car, particularly when it comes to chassis tuning.  And they know how to spec appropriately sized tires.  Too bad that, as a car you might drive to work everyday, it has some pretty glaring flaws.  The visibility is horrendous.  The trunk opening renders what space is there of limited use (good luck loading a decent sized suitcase, I can load a bicycle into my trunk).  And interior storage is nearly non-existent.  Reminds me of the MR-S vs NB Miata.  The Toyota stomped the Miata in every performance measure, but the Miata was the one you actually could drive every day or take on a road trip.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

If Cougs is serious he's gonna get a rude awakening about daily drivability. The Camaro is bigger than his G and less practical than a Z.... all for performance he will never use at a track or learn to properly deploy.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on January 29, 2018, 11:51:18 PM
Bad decisions = good stories. FWIW I drive that road all the time, albeit a lot calmer (and w/out knucklehead friends)...

When I make it out there, we can go for a drive down that road and I'll play the role of the knucklehead friend... :lol:

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on January 30, 2018, 06:29:28 AM
When I make it out there, we can go for a drive down that road and I'll play the role of the knucklehead friend... :lol:

Todd was actually driving IIRC, so that's a big role to fill ;).

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on February 02, 2018, 04:31:56 PM
Todd was actually driving IIRC, so that's a big role to fill ;).

Was he the dude who got the Party-maro airborne?  Those would be big shoes to fill.  I don't think I could pull that off!  Nor would I want to I  another guy's car.  :lol:

SJ_GTI

Can't wait to see the new Gougsmobile. Anything less than a Camaro SS and I will be crushed. Fingers crossed for it to be a 1LE (now that he is pulling in that google money).

Laconian

Googlers tend to drive pretty boring cars.

Some flashes of brilliance, but nothing like the Microsoft parking lot, which IMO had a much more pronounced social climbing culture. I saw a McLaren F1 at MSFT when I was an intern. And oh so many Boxsters and 911s.

Google is full of left-brained geeks who buy cars based on spreadsheets, a la Morris Minor.

afty

Quote from: Laconian on February 02, 2018, 07:50:05 PM

Some flashes of brilliance, but nothing like the Microsoft parking lot, which IMO had a much more pronounced social climbing culture. I saw a McLaren F1 at MSFT when I was an intern. And oh so many Boxsters and 911s.

Google is full of left-brained geeks who buy cars based on spreadsheets, a la Morris Minor.
My director drives an old Prius. I'd guess he earns close to 7 figures.

There's a VP who is a serious car nut, though. When the McLaren 12C came out, he bought one, then when the 12C Spyder came out he upgraded to that. He hangs out on car forums too. This guy: http://supercars.agent4stars.com/power-cars/benjamin-sloss-car-collection/

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on February 02, 2018, 07:50:05 PM

Cougs is not going to be the typical Googler.... :lol:

12,000 RPM

Hopefully he doesn't get taken out like that guy who wrote the goofy article about gender imbalances
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Quote from: afty on February 02, 2018, 08:12:23 PM
My director drives an old Prius. I'd guess he earns close to 7 figures.

There's a VP who is a serious car nut, though. When the McLaren 12C came out, he bought one, then when the 12C Spyder came out he upgraded to that. He hangs out on car forums too. This guy: http://supercars.agent4stars.com/power-cars/benjamin-sloss-car-collection/

Holy shit, what a stable of cars!

There's a "drivers" mailing list that has all sorts of chatter on get togethers and driving events... totally irrelevant to me, being in a remote office. :(

Kirkland and Seattle are veritable hotbeds of unthusiasm. The features that get people hot and bothered here are electrification and adaptive cruise control. There is a thread that keeps getting bumped, "WHY DO YOU GUYS KEEP SLAMMING INTO MY DOOR?" with pictures of dents and chipped paint. It makes me afraid to bring my Miata to work. :mask:

GoCougs

Big Things are still coming but no longer WRT this thread. I was going to buy a (used) 6G ZL1 and keep the G37 as the daily/beater, but after a lot of consideration (roads are wet here for 6 mos out of the year, and long story, but a faster car is not a good idea for me ATM), I am full of 'SPIN disappoint.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on February 04, 2018, 02:08:30 PM
Big Things are still coming but no longer WRT this thread. I was going to buy a (used) 6G ZL1 and keep the G37 as the daily/beater, but after a lot of consideration (roads are wet here for 6 mos out of the year, and long story, but a faster car is not a good idea for me ATM), I am full of 'SPIN disappoint.

What are you going to do?  Just keep the G37?  Why is a faster car a bad idea now (as opposed to any other time)?

When do you start at Google?

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MX793

Lol.  If I didn't drive my car when the roads were wet, it would literally not get driven.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5