Motor Trend vid: GT-R NISMO vs Z06

Started by 12,000 RPM, February 04, 2015, 01:36:58 PM

hotrodalex

Quote from: HotRodPilot on March 22, 2015, 07:55:52 AM
I was reading the road and track Camaro z28 vs the world track comparo and after three laps of a ~1.5 mile course the oil temps went over 300. The only car in the test to do it with a gtr, viper, andPorsche something or other.

I'd like gm to say something at least

I can't find any other Z28 oil temp problems, that seems to be an anomaly.

GoCougs

So, I reread it.

As to this retest, first, the M/T test driver says the car loses a lot of power but then the M/T writer immediately counters that the data says the "loss" was only a few tenths and a few mph per lap.

Second, nowhere is it stated that the car "overheated" or when into "limp mode." The test driver simply notes the temperature read high. When cars overheat they hit a falloff point and they they are done.

All this is pointing to typical F/I heat soak, which will be present for any S/C motor.

r0tor

Heat soak on a 70deg day doing one lap on a 1.5 mile track?  You have to be a fairly bad apologist to consider that an acceptable defense.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: HotRodPilot on March 22, 2015, 07:55:52 AM
I was reading the road and track Camaro z28 vs the world track comparo and after three laps of a ~1.5 mile course the oil temps went over 300. The only car in the test to do it with a gtr, viper, andPorsche something or other.

I'd like gm to say something at least

They undersized the Z28 cooling so badly they had to come up with the "flowtie"...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on March 22, 2015, 11:12:50 AM
They undersized the Z28 cooling so badly they had to come up with the "flowtie"...

The Camaro wasn't really originally designed to play in the performance field that the Z/28 plays in.  They had to find cooling wherever they could.  Just as the Aston Martin Vantage wasn't originally designed to accommodate the V12 motor and the guys at Aston had to put a bunch of louvers and vents all over the front bodywork to keep that motor cool.

And as this is the first instance I've heard of the Z/28 getting hot in such a short running time, I also think it may have been an isolated issue.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on March 22, 2015, 11:11:29 AM
Heat soak on a 70deg day doing one lap on a 1.5 mile track?  You have to be a fairly bad apologist to consider that an acceptable defense.

I only consider facts, logic, knowledge and experience, which says that cars don't incrementally overheat and then incrementally lose performance.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on March 22, 2015, 10:36:30 AM
So, I reread it.

As to this retest, first, the M/T test driver says the car loses a lot of power but then the M/T writer immediately counters that the data says the "loss" was only a few tenths and a few mph per lap.

Second, nowhere is it stated that the car "overheated" or when into "limp mode." The test driver simply notes the temperature read high. When cars overheat they hit a falloff point and they they are done.

All this is pointing to typical F/I heat soak, which will be present for any S/C motor.

The oil temp gauge was reporting 320 degrees, which is as high as the gauge reads in the Corvette (and beyond the "redline" on the gauge).  It's possible that there's some gauge error and that's why the car didn't go into complete limp-mode, but that's still not a good sign after only a couple laps on a relatively cool day.

Does beg the question if a lot of the reported heat incidents aren't related to an incorrectly calibrated gauge.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

hotrodalex

A simple trans cooler + oil cooler + ceramic coated headers would be easy mods if you live in a hot climate.

hotrodalex

Quote from: MX793 on March 22, 2015, 12:20:18 PM
The oil temp gauge was reporting 320 degrees, which is as high as the gauge reads in the Corvette (and beyond the "redline" on the gauge).  It's possible that there's some gauge error and that's why the car didn't go into complete limp-mode, but that's still not a good sign after only a couple laps on a relatively cool day.

Does beg the question if a lot of the reported heat incidents aren't related to an incorrectly calibrated gauge.

Could be too close to the exhaust, maybe? I know that can be a problem with aftermarket gauges.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 22, 2015, 12:23:45 PM
A simple trans cooler + oil cooler + ceramic coated headers would be easy mods if you live in a hot climate.

But then you would be removing the much better designed and optimally efficient oem units in favor of poorer designed and performing aftermarket units.

hotrodalex

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 22, 2015, 12:28:04 PM
But then you would be removing the much better designed and optimally efficient oem units in favor of poorer designed and performing aftermarket units.

Good thing I'm not Cougs.

MX793

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 22, 2015, 12:24:17 PM
Could be too close to the exhaust, maybe? I know that can be a problem with aftermarket gauges.

The Corvette's transmission isn't anywhere near the headers.  Transmission is at the back of the car, bolted straight to the differential, for better weight distribution.  Transmission cooler is also at the back of the car; behind the driver's side rear wheel.  Could be that they just aren't getting enough airflow.  On most cars, with more traditional transmission mounting, the trans cooler is integrated into the radiator at the front of the car where it gets lots of fresh air.
Needs more Jiggawatts

FlatBlackCaddy

Either way,  I'm sure if there is a problem with the z28 Gm will address and repair it asap.

hotrodalex

Quote from: MX793 on March 22, 2015, 12:36:20 PM
The Corvette's transmission isn't anywhere near the headers.  Transmission is at the back of the car, bolted straight to the differential, for better weight distribution.  Transmission cooler is also at the back of the car; behind the driver's side rear wheel.  Could be that they just aren't getting enough airflow.  On most cars, with more traditional transmission mounting, the trans cooler is integrated into the radiator at the front of the car where it gets lots of fresh air.

The headers comment was just for engine bay temps. I'd move the trans cooler to the radiator.

GoCougs

No.

FlatBlackCaddy

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on March 22, 2015, 12:46:51 PM
No.

You can ceramic coat the stock exhaust manifold if headers scare you.

MX793

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 22, 2015, 12:45:16 PM
The headers comment was just for engine bay temps. I'd move the trans cooler to the radiator.

Which means running long fluid lines from the back of the car to the front, drastically increasing system pressure drop.  You'd also be running said lines along the center tunnel, right next to the hot exhaust.  By the time it got back from the front heat exchanger, may well be nearly as hot as when it left the transmission.
Needs more Jiggawatts

hotrodalex

Quote from: MX793 on March 22, 2015, 01:40:48 PM
Which means running long fluid lines from the back of the car to the front, drastically increasing system pressure drop.  You'd also be running said lines along the center tunnel, right next to the hot exhaust.  By the time it got back from the front heat exchanger, may well be nearly as hot as when it left the transmission.

Side pipe exhaust.

Problem solved.

GoCougs

How about not taking a slushie AT to the track?

No matter what size/location of (traditional) cooler it's gonna overheat fairly quick. You'd have to have some sort of Rube Goldberg-esque active chiller (i.e., with refrigerant) and goofy fluid routing to keep the fluid cool.

12,000 RPM

FWIW EVO ran the Z07 against a 991 GT3.... couldn't get the track at Willow Springs but they loved it. Then again EVO has never sought to satiate spec hungry bench racing dorks....
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs