Motor Trend vid: GT-R NISMO vs Z06

Started by 12,000 RPM, February 04, 2015, 01:36:58 PM

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SVT666

FlatBlackCaddy

I really wish they would have done multiple timed successive laps in the Z06 and then posted that data to see if heat soak/poor tuning is indeed and issue and part of the reason the car didn't meet their expectations.

The GT-R has the big(er) advantage of putting power down early and getting out of the corners quicker, that is evident in the first half of side by side video when the cars are pretty much in sync on the earlier half of the track.

I don't know if this could be chalked up to some of the reported issues with the Z, hence my first comment which would have either confirmed or dismissed that issue for this comparison.

If the Z did suffer slower track times as the laps piled up then that would be the clear reason the Z failed to outperform the GT-R(as it should and probably could).

I believe the Z does have the tuning issue that many owners and aftermarket shops claim to have encountered, I also believe GM will fix it(eventually).

FlatBlackCaddy

MX793

I was a bit surprised the GTR had a faster lap time.  Less tire, less power, way more weight...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MX793 on February 04, 2015, 02:48:06 PM
I was a bit surprised the GTR had a faster lap time.  Less tire, less power, way more weight...

Removing the traction advantage it has, the outright acceleration times are probably about equal. Which leaves 2 cars, one with a much better ability to put all it's power down, sooner, coming out of a corner.

Cookie Monster

I wasn't surprised the GTR was faster around the track... just didn't expect a 1.5 second advantage. It was really clear that the Z06 couldn't put its power down early enough. Probst said it was oversteering too much so he probably had to take it easy on the throttle on exit.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

r0tor

Hey, at least the vette didn't blow up.

Now where is the forums GM apologist...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: thecarnut on February 04, 2015, 03:05:57 PM
I wasn't surprised the GTR was faster around the track... just didn't expect a 1.5 second advantage. It was really clear that the Z06 couldn't put its power down early enough. Probst said it was oversteering too much so he probably had to take it easy on the throttle on exit.
:hesaid:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

Kind of disappointing track performance, but the Corvette looks like a ton of fun. GT-R needs an update badly. Performance is still relevant but it's old looking.

I wonder if the Z06 would have benefited from a softer shock setting, especially in the rear. Might have helped with stability and the oversteer.

hotrodalex

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on February 04, 2015, 02:45:01 PM
I really wish they would have done multiple timed successive laps in the Z06 and then posted that data to see if heat soak/poor tuning is indeed and issue and part of the reason the car didn't meet their expectations.

I'm sure they did multiple laps before the hot lap and probably would have mentioned that if it occurred.

GoCougs

But did the Z06 reach the haters-had-to-learn-the-hard-way necessary 1,500 mile break-in period?

MX793

In the article, Pobst was quoted as saying that the Vette didn't feel like it was making all 650 hp...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on February 04, 2015, 09:21:30 PM
But did the Z06 reach the haters-had-to-learn-the-hard-way necessary 1,500 mile break-in period?

There is the apologist
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 04, 2015, 08:42:19 PM
Kind of disappointing track performance, but the Corvette looks like a ton of fun. GT-R needs an update badly. Performance is still relevant but it's old looking.

I wonder if the Z06 would have benefited from a softer shock setting, especially in the rear. Might have helped with stability and the oversteer.
Z06 doesnt have enough chassis/rear tire/aero for the power. No suspension setting can fix that and it will always be a PITA to get lap times from.

r0tor

Nah, it has the tires and aero... Same story as ever, not enough chassis for the power

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on February 05, 2015, 04:24:36 AM
In the article, Pobst was quoted as saying that the Vette didn't feel like it was making all 650 hp...

Look at the top speeds on the straights and the trap speed in the 1/4 mile - Z06 should be way out in front as the ZR1 was, but it's not.

M/T blaming the rear spoiler for power-robbing down force doesn't quite cut it.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

hotrodalex

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 05, 2015, 07:50:55 AM
Z06 doesnt have enough chassis/rear tire/aero for the power. No suspension setting can fix that and it will always be a PITA to get lap times from.

Plenty of tire. Plenty of aero. So what's wrong with the chassis?

90% of what he said pointed to the rear suspension being too stiff for that track - oversteer and feeling unsettled. It's weird that he talked about how many settings you could change yet the only thing they did was take off the rear spoiler, which is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 05, 2015, 08:58:09 AM
Plenty of tire. Plenty of aero. So what's wrong with the chassis?

90% of what he said pointed to the rear suspension being too stiff for that track - oversteer and feeling unsettled. It's weird that he talked about how many settings you could change yet the only thing they did was take off the rear spoiler, which is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

They removed the spoiler solely to see if the speeds on the straights improved(since on some it appeared to be about 10MPH slower than the GTR), not to see cull oversteer or increase stability(I would assume). It certainly was pointless since the difference on the straights was pretty clearly visible in the side by side lap comparison. The GTR came out of every corner faster, even in a few where the cornering speed(mid corner) was slower.

No big mystery here, don't know why they didn't attribute the difference to that and not "err it's the spoiler".

hotrodalex

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on February 05, 2015, 09:01:55 AM
They removed the spoiler solely to see if the speeds on the straights improved(since on some it appeared to be about 10MPH slower than the GTR), not to see cull oversteer or increase stability(I would assume). It certainly was pointless since the difference on the straights was pretty clearly visible in the side by side lap comparison. The GTR came out of every corner faster, even in a few where the cornering speed(mid corner) was slower.

No big mystery here, don't know why they didn't attribute the difference to that and not "err it's the spoiler".

Exactly, they tried to fix the end result and not the actual problem. Dummies. Soften up the rear a bit (and keep the Gurney flap!) and I think the straight speeds would increase.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 05, 2015, 09:08:19 AM
Exactly, they tried to fix the end result and not the actual problem. Dummies. Soften up the rear a bit (and keep the Gurney flap!) and I think the straight speeds would increase.

They found that the spoiler did not help top speed on the straight(the car has plenty of HP to overcome that drag, IMO) but had increased oversteer due to removing the downforce that the spoiler provided(what a shocker).

Once again, I'd have liked to see a 10 lap warmup and then a 10 timed successive laps to see if this car is losing speed as the laps pile up. That could have been a factor in the vette's slower speeds. While the GTR would still maintain an exit speed advantage the diminished performance of the vette due to heat soak may have made the gap larger. The gtr certainly does use every ounce of power that it has, but if the Z is being handicapped by itself then it may have cheated(itself) out of a tie, marginal win(tenths of a second) or a close loss(once again, tenths).

Cookie Monster

Playing with the suspension (if it's possible to change damping rates) probably would have allowed it to accelerate earlier/harder out of corners, where it was losing the most speed. In general it had higher cornering speeds than the GTR, but the GTR was able to get back on the gas so much earlier that it didn't even matter that it couldn't take corners as quickly.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

GoCougs

I'm guessing that was editing - surely they tried all sorts of settings.

GoCougs

Also, the GT-R now looks positively awful. The NISMO rims and clad body bits look so dated it's comical.

FlatBlackCaddy

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3601348-z06-at-cota-power-down-with-oil-temps-repost.html

Once again, would love to have seen more information from(lap times, straight speeds) a string of successive Z06 laps.

There is a good chance that this car(in the review) just fell apart after a half a dozen laps(probably generous as the above poster had it happen in less than 3).

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on February 05, 2015, 10:56:39 AM
http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3601348-z06-at-cota-power-down-with-oil-temps-repost.html

Once again, would love to have seen more information from(lap times, straight speeds) a string of successive Z06 laps.

There is a good chance that this car(in the review) just fell apart after a half a dozen laps(probably generous as the above poster had it happen in less than 3).

Fuck. Two sets of tires in 5 days of track driving. My tires last 5-6 days easily. I guess it's because 600hp > 340hp.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: thecarnut on February 05, 2015, 09:30:01 AM
Playing with the suspension (if it's possible to change damping rates) probably would have allowed it to accelerate earlier/harder out of corners, where it was losing the most speed. In general it had higher cornering speeds than the GTR, but the GTR was able to get back on the gas so much earlier that it didn't even matter that it couldn't take corners as quickly.
Damping is only part of the suspension which is why I've found adjustable damping suspensions a little silly. Even if you nail the damping, if the springs are not the right rate or the sway bars aren't set up right the car just won't work. IDK what's going on with the diff but that could be an issue too since the problem is based around exits.

IMO though it's just too much damn power for the chassis... chassis has truckloads of grip well beyond the average performance car, and big rear meats.... but the chassis and engine just don't seem to be able to work together. I'm kind of wondering how this thing would have ran with the LS7. Would have shed a ton of weight and prob been not much slower around a track

hotrodalex

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 05, 2015, 11:50:23 AM
IMO though it's just too much damn power for the chassis... chassis has truckloads of grip well beyond the average performance car, and big rear meats.... but the chassis and engine just don't seem to be able to work together. I'm kind of wondering how this thing would have ran with the LS7. Would have shed a ton of weight and prob been not much slower around a track

Nah, there are lots of old pro-touring muscle cars making 600-700 hp and control it just fine. The figure-8 time shows the car can handle it.

Not an ideal suspension set up for that track, maybe combined with heat soak issues. Still did a damn good job. 1.5 seconds off a car costing $50k more is nothing to sneeze at.

r0tor

Old pro-touring cars making 600hp will not touch either of these cars unless they are flat out race modified and not street friendly