Explorer Thread!

Started by BimmerM3, February 08, 2015, 11:36:17 AM

Eye of the Tiger

I keep a sleeping bag in Accent, and I have slept in it a couple of times. No tent, no huge truck. Whatevs.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 21, 2015, 10:16:34 PM
I keep a sleeping bag in Accent, and I have slept in it a couple of times. No tent, no huge truck. Whatevs.

I want to actually sleep, though.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

AutobahnSHO

You'd be surprised at the places that subie awd will go. I'd be interested to see comparisons of actual off-roading.
Will

MrH

FJs are kind of cool. A good friend of mine ( car dude that raced in some series at mid ohio in a Miata) sold his garage of like 5 cars, bought an FJ. He's got it all lifted and  plans to move to Colorado too.

I looked into them and ended up not getting one for two reasons. 1. They're expensive as hell. 2. The interior is really cramped. For being a 2nd, practical vehicle, they sure as hell aren't very practical. The back seats and cargo area and both nearly worthless.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rupert

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 22, 2015, 05:22:00 AM
You'd be surprised at the places that subie awd will go. I'd be interested to see comparisons of actual off-roading.

Subarus are hurt by low-ish ground clearance, on-road suspension, lame stock tires (and some of them require new wheels in order to get good tires), and most of all, no low range. They exceed at traction. I've seen them struggle a bit to get through stuff that a regular truck with a low range just rolls through. Traction is important, but it's not the only thing. If they had a low range, IMO the other stuff would come out in the wash.

That said, yes, a Forester will get you there most of the time, but you'll be more likely to have a hard time at it.

BimmerM3

The dealership with the FJ Cruiser couldn't find the keys, so no test drive.

The 4Runner I drove today was much better than the one I drove yesterday. Great car. V6 was plenty powerful. Still, too damn expensive. This particular one's asking price was only a few bucks short of my out-the-door limit, and they seemed very unwilling to negotiate. I'm keeping them on the list just in case one pops up for a really good deal, but I don't think I'm going to find one in the price range that I'm comfortable with

Did some more research into the Xterra's transmission issues... if the problem occurs - it occurs bad. Like, several thousand dollars bad. That said, I'm going to keep digging into the issue to see if there's a way around it. If I can get the transmission checked when I buy the car, and fix whatever the problem was before it happens, the Xterra is looking like a great choice.

Other than that, I'm pretty much down to the Explorer or a Cherokee. The only reason reason I'm reconsidering the Cherokee is that they can be found for like 6-7 grand with reasonably low mileage (~100k), making my accounts very happy.

Rupert

Cheapness is mighty persuasive.

2o6

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on February 22, 2015, 02:53:29 PM
Liberty?

Still in the back of my mind. I've read less-than-great reports of build quality and reliability, though I haven't really looked into them too much.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rupert on February 22, 2015, 02:18:34 PM

Yes, yes it is. And part of me is saying "you've been DDing an S2000 for the past two years - you don't need creature comforts!" Then I remember how nice that Explorer Eddie Bauer was. But for 5-7 grand more? Is it worth it? 

Also, if I go for slightly higher mileage there are some Lexus GX470s creeping into the upper end of my price range. Another Example

Rupert

I think I would avoid modern luxury SUVs-- seems like a lot to go wrong and do so expensively.

Check out that 4Runner, though!

CJ

A base model Lexus GX470 would be ideal.  Nice interior, not much luxury.  It has leather seats, birds eye maple wood trim, and fantastic headlights.  The only complicated thing on them is the rear air suspension.  Aside from that, it's as simple as a 4Runner...because it IS a 4Runner.

GoCougs

Quote from: Rupert on February 22, 2015, 02:18:34 PM

Cheapness isn't instantaneous though ;). Sure you're gonna pay quite a bit more for a 4Runner but add in fewer repairs and less depreciation and it's probably gonna be about the same.

GoCougs

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 22, 2015, 02:12:13 PM
The dealership with the FJ Cruiser couldn't find the keys, so no test drive.

The 4Runner I drove today was much better than the one I drove yesterday. Great car. V6 was plenty powerful. Still, too damn expensive. This particular one's asking price was only a few bucks short of my out-the-door limit, and they seemed very unwilling to negotiate. I'm keeping them on the list just in case one pops up for a really good deal, but I don't think I'm going to find one in the price range that I'm comfortable with

Did some more research into the Xterra's transmission issues... if the problem occurs - it occurs bad. Like, several thousand dollars bad. That said, I'm going to keep digging into the issue to see if there's a way around it. If I can get the transmission checked when I buy the car, and fix whatever the problem was before it happens, the Xterra is looking like a great choice.

Other than that, I'm pretty much down to the Explorer or a Cherokee. The only reason reason I'm reconsidering the Cherokee is that they can be found for like 6-7 grand with reasonably low mileage (~100k), making my accounts very happy.

So how did you negotiate exactly?  You should be able to knock 10-15% off easily.

Rupert

Quote from: GoCougs on February 22, 2015, 06:03:16 PM
Cheapness isn't instantaneous though ;). Sure you're gonna pay quite a bit more for a 4Runner but add in fewer repairs and less depreciation and it's probably gonna be about the same.

Considering the Cherokee was about half price or less, and the Cherokee is super simple compared to a more modern car, I'm not so sure about that. For example, all in, I've spent way less on my 1999 Explorer than the ~$15k it would cost for a newer Explorer, and it's not as if a newer, but still few years old Explorer is going to be trouble free. Not to mention the difference in cost of repairs (i.e. difference in complexity). And I didn't even buy it in particularly good condition.

SVT_Power

Quote from: CJ on February 22, 2015, 05:38:27 PM
A base model Lexus GX470 would be ideal.  Nice interior, not much luxury.  It has leather seats, birds eye maple wood trim, and fantastic headlights.  The only complicated thing on them is the rear air suspension.  Aside from that, it's as simple as a 4Runner...because it IS a 4Runner.

I don't think the 4runner and land cruiser/LX are the same underneath. However I believe the 4Runner and the GX are based off the same thing.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

BimmerM3

Quote from: SVT_Power on February 22, 2015, 07:16:08 PM
I don't think the 4runner and land cruiser/LX are the same underneath. However I believe the 4Runner and the GX are based off the same thing.

Yeah, that sounds right from what I've read. Is your point that you don't think the GX has the air suspension?

EDIT: So the internet definitely says that the GX has the air suspension. So I guess I'm not sure what your point was?

Rupert

Fancy suspension in an SUV (without $10k cash in reserve to fix it) = no bueno.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rupert on February 22, 2015, 09:23:15 PM
Fancy suspension in an SUV (without $10k cash in reserve to fix it) = no bueno.

Shit, just because I have 10 grand sitting around doesn't mean I want to spend it on an SUV suspension. So scratch those off the list.

Rupert

It might not actually be $10k... But most complex suspension systems fail sooner than later and cost a lot to fix, or at least that's the impression I have.

hotrodalex

Yeah I'd stay away from air suspension.

CJ

Quote from: SVT_Power on February 22, 2015, 07:16:08 PM

That's why I said the GX and 4Runner are the same.

GoCougs

Actually, the Lexus GX is not 4Runner based, it is a Toyota Prado with a bit of flair.

BimmerM3

Quote from: GoCougs on February 23, 2015, 12:19:51 AM
Actually, the Lexus GX is not 4Runner based, it is a Toyota Prado with a bit of flair.

According to Wikipedia, the 4Runner is also based on the Prado, though I don't think it's as similar to the Prado as the GX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_4Runner#Fourth_generation_.28N210.3B_2002.E2.80.932009.29

CJ

The GX and Prado are the same thing.  The 4Runner is based off of that.  Therefore, the GX and 4Runner are the same.  That's how my brain works.

GoCougs

The 4Runner and Prado/GX are entirely different - different chassis/wheelbase, wholly unrelated sheet metal/glass, different suspension, etc. Just like the LX is a gussied up Land Cruiser and the RX is a gussied up Harrier, the GX is a gussied up Prado (i.e., 4Runner is not in the equation).