Next Civic going all turbo, bringing Type-R & hatchbacks to US

Started by 12,000 RPM, April 02, 2015, 06:10:48 AM

12,000 RPM

:rastaman:

http://autoweek.com/article/new-york-auto-show/2016-honda-civic-concept-makes-surprise-debut-new-york-auto-show

QuoteTenth-generation Civic Type-R and Si to be sold in US

Honda rolled out a new concept that is pretty much the 10th-generation Civic with weird paint, big wheels and small mirrors. The aggressive "concept" is meant to suggest, strongly, that the 2016 Civic will be more enthusiast-friendly than the current model. To drive that point home, Honda also confirmed that hatchback, Si and Type-R Civic variants will be available in the U.S.

The 2016 Civic will be powered by Honda's VTEC 1.5L turbocharged four, and both the coupe and sedan were designed and developed in the U.S.

The U.S.-market versions of each will be produced in Ohio and Alliston, Ontario, with coupe and Si variants being built in Alliston exclusively. The hatch will be made in Swindon, U.K. -- you know, the place from "The Office."

Look for the production version of the 2016 Civic sedan to launch this fall, followed by the coupe and five-door. We'll let you know when we get a more concrete timetable for the arrival of the Type-R.
Si sedan with leather and nav would serve me nicely. I wonder if they will make the Type-R AWD to fully compete with the Golf R/Focus RS. U know people will be crying bloody murder if they don't. Im excited  :rockon:

Ooo just realized, Acura will prob go 2.0T too. Yea, would rather have an SH-AWD ILX 2.0T, but if they dont make it stickshift and the infotainment is wack I would lean back towards the Civic. Choices choices. Honda is back!!!
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 02, 2015, 06:10:48 AM
:rastaman:

http://autoweek.com/article/new-york-auto-show/2016-honda-civic-concept-makes-surprise-debut-new-york-auto-show
Si sedan with leather and nav would serve me nicely. I wonder if they will make the Type-R AWD to fully compete with the Golf R/Focus RS. U know people will be crying bloody murder if they don't. Im excited  :rockon:

Ooo just realized, Acura will prob go 2.0T too. Yea, would rather have an SH-AWD ILX 2.0T, but if they dont make it stickshift and the infotainment is wack I would lean back towards the Civic. Choices choices. Honda is back!!!

We'll see.  I would love to have an actual upgrade option to my Si when I'm shopping in like 3 years.  I still don't see the ILX getting SH, but a 250 hp ILX with a stick and an LSD at like 35k would be about perfect for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlatBlackCaddy

With turbo's, hatchback's and US market type R's the civic might finally become a decent option for the performance minded enthusiast.

We'll have to wait and see.

12,000 RPM

Current Si is fine. It's faster to 60 than the Focus ST & GTI and has an honest to God mechanical LSD instead of that brake bias bullshit. New turbo motors will just put it back at the head of the class.

I drove a stock 8th gen SI within days of an MKV GTI. They feel about the same speed wise. I know the new GTIs make more torque but the SIs do to. No matter though, now theres nothing left to complain about.

SVT32V

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 02, 2015, 09:19:38 AM
Current Si is fine. It's faster to 60 than the Focus ST & GTI and has an honest to God mechanical LSD instead of that brake bias bullshit. New turbo motors will just put it back at the head of the class.

It seems to me most of the rags have the current Si quite a bit slower to 60 and the 1/4 mile and trap speed than the GTI/ST.

I certainly always saw the ST/GTI dipping healthily below 6 sec to 60 and trap speed around 99, the Si seems to be mid to low 6s in the 60 and only mid 90s trap speed.

Honda needs to embrace the turbo like they did in the days of prost and senna.

MX793

The Si is at least half a second slower than the Focus ST and GTI to 60.  It's on par with or a hair quicker than the Fiesta ST.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Xer0

The Si right now is too much of a tweener, splitting the difference in cost and performance between both of the ST's.  If Honda positions it directly against the GTI/FoST next gen like it sounds it will, there might be room in the lineup for a mildly sporty, 180ish hp Civic.  I could see a car like that being viable.

r0tor

Quote from: SVT32V on April 02, 2015, 09:27:32 AM

Honda needs to embrace the turbo like they did in the days of prost and senna.

...and stay as far away as possible from their current turbo F1 engine....
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Xer0 on April 02, 2015, 10:14:10 AM
The Si right now is too much of a tweener, splitting the difference in cost and performance between both of the ST's.  If Honda positions it directly against the GTI/FoST next gen like it sounds it will, there might be room in the lineup for a mildly sporty, 180ish hp Civic.  I could see a car like that being viable.
It depends on how much power the base Civic will have. Truthfully I don't think they will need that 180hp Civic. Base Civic will get there with mild mods if people are so inclined, and the Si will stomp that with better response through more displacement while prob still being cheaper than the FoST/GTI. I *STILL* think the K20 could still be competitive toda with 200-300 more cc and maybe cam phasing on exhaust but that ship has sailed.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 02, 2015, 12:31:39 PM
It depends on how much power the base Civic will have. Truthfully I don't think they will need that 180hp Civic. Base Civic will get there with mild mods if people are so inclined, and the Si will stomp that with better response through more displacement while prob still being cheaper than the FoST/GTI. I *STILL* think the K20 could still be competitive toda with 200-300 more cc and maybe cam phasing on exhaust but that ship has sailed.

I can't imagine a 250+HP turbo Si being cheaper than 20K.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 02, 2015, 12:31:39 PM

Most people don't care about modding their car, especially when like half of the cars are leases anyway.  The base Civic will be a 1.5L with probably like 150/160 hp.  The Si will probably put out like 250 or so, leaving us with a 100 hp gap in the lineup.  At 180/190 hp, this hypothetical SX will provide a noticeable step up to the base Civic while still leaving the LSD, lowered suspension, and thicker rear sway bars to the Si.  The 10th gen Si will move up in price; I don't honestly see it costing under 26k.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on April 02, 2015, 01:26:31 PM
I can't imagine a 250+HP turbo Si being cheaper than 20K.
FoST/GTI/current Si all start well above that so I dont think thats a reasonable expectation.

Here is some ricer speculation tho. FiST is ~2750lbs with a 1.6T. Current base Civic is about 2800-2900lbs. Civic is also less top heavy and has an IRS. So the base car with a 1.5T could be more than decent to drive. Honda still overengineers their engines... my car has piston oil squirters and forged rods FFS. I would not be surprised if these turbo engines came out with fully forged and balanced internals.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Xer0 on April 02, 2015, 01:54:57 PM
Most people don't care about modding their car, especially when like half of the cars are leases anyway.  The base Civic will be a 1.5L with probably like 150/160 hp.  The Si will probably put out like 250 or so, leaving us with a 100 hp gap in the lineup.  At 180/190 hp, this hypothetical SX will provide a noticeable step up to the base Civic while still leaving the LSD, lowered suspension, and thicker rear sway bars to the Si.  The 10th gen Si will move up in price; I don't honestly see it costing under 26k.
True, but Civic Nation™ does. I'm just not sure how they could play it. It wouldn't make much sense to offer a separate engine option for such a small market (i.e. a turbo 1.8L). It would probably make more sense (and more money) to offer an upgrade kit through HFP. Reflash, exhaust, sport suspension, body kit but still open diff and weaksauce brakes. Let people choose what they want but still keep enough distance.

Even w/o that though the aftermarket will have a field day. A $500 Hondata reflash will bridge that gap and the $2000-3000 that would be spent on the weaksauce upgrades would go a much longer way. TSX brakes, legit suspension, exhaust, maybe a cam and Flashpro. Id rather go that route personally as would many in Civic Nation™.

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 02, 2015, 02:08:34 PM
True, but Civic Nation™ does. I'm just not sure how they could play it. It wouldn't make much sense to offer a separate engine option for such a small market (i.e. a turbo 1.8L). It would probably make more sense (and more money) to offer an upgrade kit through HFP. Reflash, exhaust, sport suspension, body kit but still open diff and weaksauce brakes. Let people choose what they want but still keep enough distance.

Even w/o that though the aftermarket will have a field day. A $500 Hondata reflash will bridge that gap and the $2000-3000 that would be spent on the weaksauce upgrades would go a much longer way. TSX brakes, legit suspension, exhaust, maybe a cam and Flashpro. Id rather go that route personally as would many in Civic Nation™.

You're making too many assumptions.  Civic Nation will either buy the Si/Type R, or a 5 year old used Civic and mod it.  They won't buy a new, non Si/R Civic only to dump another 5k into it to bring it up to that level.  But there are plenty of people that aren't a part of Civic Nation that would love a more powerful, but not as frantic, Civic.  With my Si, its always loud and frantic, and while its quick, most people don't care for it.  I know my mom hates being in the thing.  A quicker but still comfortable Civic would be great.

The Accord will be getting a version of the 2.0 that will go great in this hypothetical Civic SX.

As a starting point, the Si currently is only about 2k more than an EX.  You will never be able to bridge that performance gap in the aftermarket for a similar cost.  I expect this to continue being true with the 10th gen.

12,000 RPM

They have that... it's called the ILX :evildude:

If it's just a matter of more speed, with boost all it will take is a reflash. Beyond that then it just makes sense to get the Si.

MX793

Quote from: Xer0 on April 02, 2015, 08:28:41 AM
We'll see.  I would love to have an actual upgrade option to my Si when I'm shopping in like 3 years.  I still don't see the ILX getting SH, but a 250 hp ILX with a stick and an LSD at like 35k would be about perfect for me.

Acura no longer offers a stick-shift and I doubt we'll ever see another stick-shift Acura again.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Xer0 looks like there will be a base 2.0L below the 1.5T. All Civic motors going forward will be DOHC. REALLY curious to see what the specs are gonna be. If they all have true VTEC and dual cam phasing these will be real forces to be reckoned with.

Xer0

Quote from: MX793 on April 03, 2015, 01:08:24 PM
Acura no longer offers a stick-shift and I doubt we'll ever see another stick-shift Acura again.

I'm nothing if not hopeful! 

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 06, 2015, 07:10:51 AM
Xer0 looks like there will be a base 2.0L below the 1.5T. All Civic motors going forward will be DOHC. REALLY curious to see what the specs are gonna be. If they all have true VTEC and dual cam phasing these will be real forces to be reckoned with.

Where was this announced?  I thought the Civic was going all turbo.

12,000 RPM

In C&D's article on the Civic from NYIAS. Too lazy to dig up, may just be empty talk.

Payman

Looks like we won't get 'em until 2017 at the earliest.

2o6

The sedan looks great

The Coupe looks like hell, but I also think the concept looks like shit.

Also, these cars look super long.

12,000 RPM

Sedan looks like a Civic Crosstour

Not a fan of either TBH

giant_mtb

SVT666

I dig the concept, but the patent drawings look exactly like the Accord.

12,000 RPM

Sedan looks nothing like the Accord, coupe has looked like the Accord coupe since 2001. Look at the C pillars and trunks

SVT666

I'm referring to the profile of the coupe.  It's almost identical.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT666 on April 20, 2015, 10:30:56 AM
I'm referring to the profile of the coupe.  It's almost identical.
The current accord and civic have identical profiles too, I don't see why this is surprising