Uber

Started by 2o6, May 03, 2015, 11:31:20 AM

Morris Minor

UberX drivers are getting into trouble at Atlanta airport - cops are ticketing them & impounding their cars for permit violations.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on May 06, 2015, 10:54:47 AM

People here were making hundreds and hundreds of dollars here during the OSU football season

Bet the pizza delivery guys did pretty good around then too.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 06, 2015, 09:59:04 AM
I'm not downloading the app unless I get a "spirited" ride in the Honda....  :mrcool:

Haha - unfortunately I can only Uber in the Explorer (they require 4 doors).

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on May 06, 2015, 10:54:47 AM

People here were making hundreds and hundreds of dollars here during the OSU football season

I bet. 100,000 people leaving the same place at the same time? It's an Uber driver's wet dream.

Lebowski

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 06, 2015, 02:32:14 PM

Bet the pizza delivery guys did pretty good around then too.

But pizza delivery rates don't surge with demand.

giant_mtb

When I checked about a year ago (when my brother that lives in San Francisco first told me about it), there were no Ubers around here. Don't know if it's changed, and don't really care. 

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on May 06, 2015, 05:19:39 PM

But pizza delivery rates don't surge with demand.

More deliveries = more tips.

Lebowski

Quote from: GoCougs on May 08, 2015, 12:27:22 PM

More deliveries = more tips.

Yes but that's purely volume related, and one driver can only deliver so much.  More tips but not necessarily bigger tips per delivery (and potentially worse tips per delivery if wait times increase).

Uber increases rates in times of peak volume.

Lebowski

Seems obvious it won't be a super high paying job.  Many of the drivers I've spoke to have said it's a form of supplemental income, not their only/primary job.  The flexibility to choose when and where you work seems like a pretty big benefit to me.

Thing is, if I pull up the app now there's a car 7 minutes away.  I used it yesterday am to take me to my office (I left the m3 there overnight), and it was here in about 10 minutes. That's way better than a cab, and about typical for uber. If rates are high enough that enough drivers are willing to do it I can reliably get a car in <= ~10 minutes, you can't really argue that rates are too low.  I was a bit worried when they lowered rates enough drivers would quit it would impact wait times, that doesn't really appear to be the case.

2o6

I just started the background checks for UberX

Eye of the Tiger

Too bad 2003 Elements can't Uber. Stupid ass rules.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on December 30, 2015, 10:50:37 PM
I just started the background checks for UberX

Wait a minute. Did you buy that Saturn Vue to Uber with?

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 30, 2015, 11:02:49 PM
Wait a minute. Did you buy that Saturn Vue to Uber with?

No, I started the background checks. You can get approved to drive without a car. I want to make sure I qualify before I waste my time

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on December 30, 2015, 11:06:42 PM
No, I started the background checks. You can get approved to drive without a car. I want to make sure I qualify before I waste my time

Do you have to pay for that/what are the requirements?
I just wasted $200 trying to get a job but was disqualified due to a speeding ticket from over a year ago.

Eye of the Tiger

I think I found it...

A minimum of 1 year U.S. licensing history (if under 23 years old, must have at least 3 years licensing history)
A clean Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) with no more than 3 incidents in the past 3 years
No DUIs and no reckless driving
A clean criminal background check with no felonies or misdemeanors involving theft, violence or drugs in a given time frame
No speeding violations for driving 20 mph or greater over the speed limit in the past 3 years.
We do not perform a credit check

No more than 3 incidents on my MVR over the past three years will kill me. I have 3 speeding tickets and 2 "accidents" (not at fault). FML.

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 30, 2015, 11:08:46 PM
Do you have to pay for that/what are the requirements?
I just wasted $200 trying to get a job but was disqualified due to a speeding ticket from over a year ago.

No payment. Just go to the site, and just fill out the info.

I'm a little scared, because for some reason I was dropped as a driver from JJ's for no reason at all (I have one accident, and the 2 points on my license, both of which fall off in a few weeks), and I wasn't approved as a driver for Car2Go car sharing, but who knows. My insurance premiums are normal, and I worked at a dealership with no issue.

2o6

I have one at fault accident, that was drawn out (and later declined) by a lady in early 2014. I drove for Jimmy John's about four months later, and had no issue. I started working at a BMW dealer and had no issue.

Then I quit JJ's (for school) and I applied for them again, where I worked 1 day, then got fired because JJ's corporate insurance wouldn't cover me. (WTF - nothing happened between the 1 year of working for them?)

Still, I think I'll be OK?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on December 30, 2015, 11:18:52 PM
I have one at fault accident, that was drawn out (and later declined) by a lady in early 2014. I drove for Jimmy John's about four months later, and had no issue. I started working at a BMW dealer and had no issue.

Then I quit JJ's (for school) and I applied for them again, where I worked 1 day, then got fired because JJ's corporate insurance wouldn't cover me. (WTF - nothing happened between the 1 year of working for them?)

Still, I think I'll be OK?

JJs literally makes no sense.
I only get the #16, anyway.

Eye of the Tiger

Did you look at Lyft, as well? They are not in my state. I think we only have Uber and hitchhiking around here.

CaminoRacer

I'm kinda surprised by those requirements. 3 incidences in the past 3 years is incredibly lenient for a driving job.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 30, 2015, 11:32:46 PM
I'm kinda surprised by those requirements. 3 incidences in the past 3 years is incredibly lenient for a driving job.

I don't know what they mean, exactly. I might apply, anyway. Not-at-fault "accidents" should not count.

2o6

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 30, 2015, 11:32:46 PM

Isn't it? That explains why there's so many drivers.

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 30, 2015, 11:25:45 PM
Did you look at Lyft, as well? They are not in my state. I think we only have Uber and hitchhiking around here.

Lyft got banned from Columbus.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 06, 2015, 02:03:52 PM
peak times are probably great to drive.
For money, not sanity
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Rich

I tried it for my first time in a recent trip to NYC. The service itself is great. A car in 5 min, you know who your driver and car are and can see the route on a map. And I can pay with Apple Pay so I just leave the car. Is amazing.

The only downside was a street was closed in the way to Rockefeller center so traffic was at a standstill. He just let us out and we walked the rest. Maybe a regular cabbie would have known a better route but whatever.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

2o6

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 31, 2015, 07:23:59 AM
I tried it for my first time in a recent trip to NYC. The service itself is great. A car in 5 min, you know who your driver and car are and can see the route on a map. And I can pay with Apple Pay so I just leave the car. Is amazing.

The only downside was a street was closed in the way to Rockefeller center so traffic was at a standstill. He just let us out and we walked the rest. Maybe a regular cabbie would have known a better route but whatever.

In a smaller city, it's a godsend. I use it a bit when I want to go out but don't want to drive. Columbus is kinda spread out, so it really works well.

Xer0

I drove for uber for like a week.  I think I made maybe 9 trips total?  Anyway, the process to set yourself up is ridiculously easy and the app is pretty intuitive and you should be out on the road pretty quickly.  Where they get you is your overall rating.  If it dips below like 4.6 or something they will drop you from the service.  The fact that you don't get any of the safe driver discount is also annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2o6

Quote from: Xer0 on December 31, 2015, 10:28:21 AM
I drove for uber for like a week.  I think I made maybe 9 trips total?  Anyway, the process to set yourself up is ridiculously easy and the app is pretty intuitive and you should be out on the road pretty quickly.  Where they get you is your overall rating.  If it dips below like 4.6 or something they will drop you from the service.  The fact that you don't get any of the safe driver discount is also annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol did you get dropped?

CaminoRacer

Yeah you gotta ask everyone to give you 5 stars.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HotRodPilot on December 31, 2015, 07:23:59 AM

That is a problem I've heard of from experienced drivers who've gone over to the dark side; Uber chooses the route, and it's not always the best or smartest one.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator