Uber

Started by 2o6, May 03, 2015, 11:31:20 AM

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 31, 2015, 11:25:11 AM
Yeah you gotta ask everyone to give you 5 stars.

That's obnoxious.  I sometimes find myself not rating things as well when it's begged for. 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 31, 2015, 02:01:35 PM
That's obnoxious.  I sometimes find myself not rating things as well when it's begged for. 

Ehh it's a cab ride. I'm not gonna mess with the dude's job stability.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

It'll ask you to rate the next time you use the app (or send a notification)

Raza

I can't remember ever giving less than 5 stars.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 31, 2015, 02:20:08 PM

I suppose.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 31, 2015, 02:20:08 PM

Well, a lot of people are just assholes, no getting around it. Uber should rate the users as well (oh, you give two stars to everybody? Your vote doesn't count? You only ever booked 3 rides? We'll start counting on the next ride if you behave yourself)
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Users are rated, yes.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Xer0

Quote from: 2o6 on December 31, 2015, 10:39:42 AM
Lol did you get dropped?

Haha no, I did it more to experiment.  I work downtown so I would just pickup a person in the morning to work and someone on my way back.  It covered my parking expense, but the extra hassle just wasn't worth it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xer0

Quote from: Raza  on December 31, 2015, 03:52:54 PM
I can't remember ever giving less than 5 stars.

I've given less than 5 a lot of times.  I've had drivers get lost, unable to find me, make me walk all the way down the block to them (first world problems), and one was erratic behind the wheel and almost took out a biker. 

MX793

Quote from: Xer0 on December 31, 2015, 08:36:07 PM
I've given less than 5 a lot of times.  I've had drivers get lost, unable to find me, make me walk all the way down the block to them (first world problems), and one was erratic behind the wheel and almost took out a biker. 

I, too, would give less than a perfect score for almost taking out a biker.  No points for "almost"; close only counts in horseshoes.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Xer0

Quote from: MX793 on December 31, 2015, 09:04:59 PM
I, too, would give less than a perfect score for almost taking out a biker.  No points for "almost"; close only counts in horseshoes.

That one actually made me call uber personally.  I bike into work on a semi frequent basis and it really struck close to home.  To ubers credit, they were really quick about replying/doing something about it.  I don't know what happened to that driver,  but their customer service was pretty good.  I gave the guy 1 star only because 0 isn't an option.

Lebowski

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 31, 2015, 11:25:11 AM

Yeah you gotta ask everyone to give you 5 stars.

Why?  The app automatically asks them for a rating so as a user it's not inconvenient at all to rate. If your car is clean and you didn't do something massively stupid you should be getting 5 stars almost all the time.

I like that that Uber uses ratings and that the system actually has teeth (drivers below a cerrain rating aren't given favorable treatment in getting fares via the algo and/or are dropped).  The complete lack of accountability is one of the reasons taxis suck.

CaminoRacer

Well as long as everyone knows the rating system, you don't have to ask for 5 stars. By now, most people know how strict the star thing is for drivers, so it's assumed that 5 stars is the default unless you have a viable complaint. But first time riders and such should probably be informed of that.

2o6

Lebowski

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 02, 2016, 07:32:42 PM

Well as long as everyone knows the rating system, you don't have to ask for 5 stars. By now, most people know how strict the star thing is for drivers, so it's assumed that 5 stars is the default unless you have a viable complaint. But first time riders and such should probably be informed of that.

That's a good point. If I'm rating a product on say Amazon, or even a restaurant on Yelp, 3 stars is sort of my starting point for adequate and I go up if something is good or great.  If it's an individual person, I would usually give the top score unless they screwed something up.  I almost always give 5 stars to Uber drivers. I assume most people do the same.

But on a broad level there's sort of a built in curve ... if it was a widespread thing where users give 3 stars as a baseline, there would be a shortage of drivers rating 4.6 and above and Uber would have to adjust the algo accordingly.

MX793

Quote from: Lebowski on January 02, 2016, 10:58:48 PM
That's a good point. If I'm rating a product on say Amazon, or even a restaurant on Yelp, 3 stars is sort of my starting point for adequate and I go up if something is good or great.  If it's an individual person, I would usually give the top score unless they screwed something up.  I almost always give 5 stars to Uber drivers. I assume most people do the same.

But on a broad level there's sort of a built in curve ... if it was a widespread thing where users give 3 stars as a baseline, there would be a shortage of drivers rating 4.6 and above and Uber would have to adjust the algo accordingly.

Never used Uber or similar (said services are illegal in NY outside of NYC).  My usual policy when asked to rate a service is that I only give a perfect score if someone goes above and beyond what is expected.  Otherwise, on a 5-star scale, I would generally give 4 stars, less depending on how displeased I was with the service.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

That's why rating systems can be silly. There needs to be a "metric" which says what the numbers or stars are...
Will

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Ratings should be binary. 1 or 0.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 03, 2016, 02:12:16 PM
Ratings should be binary. 1 or 0.

No. Binary also has -1.

Either the ride was ok, or it was fantastic, or it was icky/yucky/gross/bad.

Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on January 03, 2016, 01:46:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8I9pYCl9AQ

WHEN EVERYTHING IS FIVE STARS
NOTHING IS

Don't get me started on Army's performance reviews where
1= super
2= great
3= average good worker
4= needs improvement
5= needs super improvement

But everyone gets a 1. Or you try to give a subordinate a 2 and everyone freaks out and wonders (out loud and via email) why you're trying to kill the subordinate's career.....
:facepalm: x a bazillion
Will

2o6

Took forever, but I'm approved as a driver. Mine took awhile due to OH driver's license laws that make things awkward and took a little time, but yay.

Now I just need the right car.

12,000 RPM

I love your hustle bro
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 26, 2016, 10:58:24 AM
I love your hustle bro

I also leased three apartments this week

Eye of the Tiger

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 26, 2016, 11:32:58 AM
wat

He's ballin' out, livin' like a drug kingpin with multiple hideouts.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 26, 2016, 11:42:46 AM
He's ballin' out, livin' like a drug kingpin with multiple hideouts.

This was my conclusion as well.  :rastaman:

AutobahnSHO

Lol

Do people sub-contract uber jobs yet?
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 26, 2016, 12:33:16 PM
Lol

Do people sub-contract uber jobs yet?

BGK will find a way.