Toyota Tacoma

Started by giant_mtb, May 22, 2015, 07:37:58 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 11, 2016, 05:18:01 AM
Do both fronts.

Yeah, I figured I should.  The bearings themselves are pretty cheap.  Don't think I'm gonna do this one myself, though.  It's that cold and rainy time of year where working on things outside isn't all that fun anymore.

This'll set me back a bit on the wheels and tires again, just like the few hundred I had to spend on the full brake job did.  :rage:

Rupert

This thing seems pretty unreliable and repair-prone for a Toyota...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on October 11, 2016, 06:13:18 PM

Shoulda boughta Honda ... Ridgeline.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Wheel bearings are more or less a fixed lifetime thing. They're going to be replaced after x miles regardless. Lifts kits and oversized tires reduce that lifetime by like half.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Brakes, p/s pump, a couple pulley wheels, wheel bearings, and a steering shaft after 130k+ miles...?  So unreliable. :rolleyes:

An inconvenience, sure, like any repair...but certainly not abnormal.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 11, 2016, 07:51:17 PM
Wheel bearings are more or less a fixed lifetime thing. They're going to be replaced after x miles regardless. Lifts kits and oversized tires reduce that lifetime by like half.

I think I might rope the spacer delete into this repair if I can.  Mehhhhhh

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 11, 2016, 08:02:45 PM
Brakes, p/s pump, a couple pulley wheels, wheel bearings, and a steering shaft after 130k+ miles...?  So unreliable. :rolleyes:

An inconvenience, sure, like any repair...but certainly not abnormal.

Oh, it's got 130 kmiles? Nevermind then.  :mask:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on October 11, 2016, 08:21:43 PM
Oh, it's got 130 kmiles? Nevermind then.  :mask:

Yeah, it's kind of at that "second stage" of age.  I'm sure the brakes and a few other smaller things have been done once before, but now that she's at 130k, it's about time again for things to go. 

But!  It's still wonderful because the frame and all suspension components remain rust-free.  All the moving parts (engine, steering rack, tranny, etc.) are OG, so they are indeed showing age, but it's still a good foundation, and one I really don't mind throwing some money at to keep moving.

FWIW, it had right around 125k when I bought it.  So now I'm just the guy responsible for refreshing it. :lol:

Rupert

I did that with the Explorer (130k  and ten years old when I bought it) and the 944 (100k and 24 years). It worked for a few years and maybe 20 kmiles with the Explorer before things started to break again, but hopefully Toyota is better at making a truck than Ford.

The 944 isn't really comparable, but I think it's starting to show its mileage again, too.

giant_mtb

Yeah, only time will tell. I'm hoping I get lucky.

Rupert

You probably have a better chance at luck than I did. My Explorer was in pretty mediocre condition when I bought it.

I got tired of fixing stuff on it, and I might be getting there with the 944. BRZ kind of beckons.

giant_mtb

Is replacing a bearing as simple ("simple") as replacing the bearing/hub assembly?

From what I've seen on the YouTubes, it's a relatively simple process assuming you don't run into nasty bolts (gonna happen around here, but that's life).  As far as I can tell, no pressing is needed, etc.  Pretty much a bolt-off/bolt-on process...?  Kind of afraid I'll find something else wrong, and then my dick will be in a vice.

Cookie Monster

My hubs just bolt in but it was still seized in the carrier. And this is on a California car. :cry:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

I can't imagine it would be too 'spensive to have a shop do it...?  Seems like a relatively short job for any seasoned mechanic.

(Yeah, it's a 4Runner, but it's the same, AFAIK.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVuM8iVO6u8

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 12, 2016, 11:59:44 AM
I can't imagine it would be too 'spensive to have a shop do it...?  Seems like a relatively short job for any seasoned mechanic.

(Yeah, it's a 4Runner, but it's the same, AFAIK.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVuM8iVO6u8

Sealed bearing with no gobs of grease? Snazzy.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Cookie Monster on October 12, 2016, 11:58:44 AM
My hubs just bolt in but it was still seized in the carrier. And this is on a California car. :cry:

You overheated your shit doing ricer racing and welded the hub straight to the knuckle. You're lucky the floorboard didn't fall out.

giant_mtb

She goes to the shop Monday.  If I had a bigger garage (& heated), I'd tackle it myself.  Alas.

Half-considering getting a small salamander propane heater for cold-time work.  Could heat up parent's garage enough for light maintenance work (oil changes) or for detailing interiors.  It's not insulated, but one wall is shared with the house.  Doors are insulated.  Could probably get it into the 50's no problem if it was 30 degrees out.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 12, 2016, 06:48:22 PM
Heater is a godsend.

Browsed online and 40k BTU salamanders are around $120.  Could probably get one for 120-150 locally...never really looked at 'em at Menards.

68_427

We have a 180k BTU Salamander thing rocks :rockon:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Holy chit that's a lotta BTUs. 

AutobahnSHO

free electric bill FTW here
Will

68_427

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 13, 2016, 09:08:16 AM
Holy chit that's a lotta BTUs. 

It sounds like a jet basically.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Tacoma is fixed.  New FR wheel bearing, speed sensor, and a couple other little gaskets/seals/whatever.  Dunno if they just threw in a whole new bearing/hub assembly or if they just pressed the bearing, but I'm gonna guess they did the assembly since that includes the ABS/speed sensor I'm pretty sure.  They didn't call me before doing the work, so I didn't get a chance to say "just go ahead and do both fronts," but after he told me what my bill was...I ain't mad.  He said it was pretty rusted as fuck (go figure) and the speed sensor was chewed up and necessary...probably the main culprit of the crunchety crunch crunch I was hearing.  Avoided a big headache of trying to do it myself, but still.  $$$$$$

If I heard him right, $662.

Eye of the Tiger

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 19, 2016, 08:10:32 PM
I usually prefer soft tacos

I think soft tacos are dumb as hell. How about you finish rolling the burrito so half the shit doesn't fall out on the first bite.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 19, 2016, 05:57:23 PM
No more crunchy Taco? :(

No more crunchy Taco.  I hope.

Gonna go pick it up now.  Sat around all day today prolonging my walk or bike ride to the shop to fetch it.  I think I'll walk, 10 minutes or so.

She's smooth again. I was wrong, he did both fronts. Both hub assemblies.  And the speed sensor was like $110.

Tires next.

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 19, 2016, 08:29:43 PM
I think soft tacos are dumb as hell. How about you finish rolling the burrito so half the shit doesn't fall out on the first bite.

Psh, learn to eat a taco, n00b.

giant_mtb

A part of me just wants to dump some cash into this thing before winter.

Lift delete.
Wheels/tires/alignment.
Shocks.

So like...2,000-2,500ish. 

Wheels/tires/alignment are a must before winter, and that would be about 1500 tops.  Might as well delete lift, get new shocks, and make my new bearings last longer...?