Audi A4

Started by 2o6, June 28, 2015, 10:43:54 PM

GoCougs

Awful inside and out. WTF is happening to this class. Perhaps the S4 will be jazzed up a bit more but it'll probably be worse.

Xer0

I'm reserving final judgement on looks until I see what the higher spec S and RS versions look like, but right now its incredibly boring and just doesn't look like the 50k+ car its aspiring to be.  But, with a 250 diet and 270hp starting motor, it sounds like its going in the right direction.

2o6

It looks identical to the current car, but kinda dumpier. The F30 has good proportions at least

The Giulia is kinda fugly

The ATS is too bland

The Infiniti Q-something is both forgettable and fucking ugly

The IS is cool looking, but has the most mediocre engine lineup out

And this A4 is both too similar and dumpier than the model it replaces. Audi said the next A4 was supposed to be "emotional" and they had to redesign it a few times before it came out

WTF

GoCougs

Shocking, what was the worst of the class, and one of the worst cars for sale period, the M-B C-class, now looks to be the class leader - at least it's truly all new inside and out (and looks it), has new engines that mean something (i.e., materially more performance, esp. the C400, though turbos are still sucky) and the C63 is a monster. Christ on a cracker!

GoCougs

And don't forget the laughable TLX and its sub 300 hp ~15 year-old SOHC motor - at least the TL could be had with 300+ hp, slick AWD system, and 6MT...

2o6

Oh yeah, the TLX does suck.

The C class has a divine interior, though

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Rich

I think I'd much rather have a Mazda 6 than anything in the compact luxury class.  Jeeez.

I've been speccing out some cars recently and a Mazda 6 is a wayyyyy better deal than the Mazda 3.. which would have been my pick of the economy class.  And the 6 looks much better and I think has as good an interior as the compact luxury class.  How did the 6 get to be such a good value?!  I understand it's still FWD, and I'd prefer something smaller, but it's hard to beat.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on June 28, 2015, 10:43:54 PM
This is a new car?

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/28/2016-audi-a4-official-photos-video/

Audi's styling has jumped the shark just like Aston Martin. Every single car in the lineup looks like a scaled up or down version of the other.  Their styling also peaked about 8 years ago and has since taken a sharp turn straight into the shitter.  The interior is nice...in a BMW,because that's who they stole it from. Oh, and they should give their NAV screen back to Mazda.

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on June 28, 2015, 11:07:49 PM
It looks identical to the current car, but kinda dumpier. The F30 has good proportions at least
I happen to think the current 3 series is the best looking one in 3 generations.

The Giulia is kinda fugly
You are the only person on the face of the earth that thinks that.

The ATS is too bland
It's a handsome but forgettable car in anything but V spec.

The Infiniti Q-something is both forgettable and fucking ugly
The G37 was unmistakably an Infiniti, but the Q whatever could pass for a Hyundai.

The IS is cool looking, but has the most mediocre engine lineup out
It's a real shame this.

And this A4 is both too similar and dumpier than the model it replaces. Audi said the next A4 was supposed to be "emotional" and they had to redesign it a few times before it came out

WTF
The entire segment is pretty boring. They might be the best they've ever been but there is nothing with real character (at least until the Giulia is released). Previous gens had character and someone needs to shake it up.

SVT666

Quote from: HotRodPilot on June 29, 2015, 12:00:52 AM
I think I'd much rather have a Mazda 6 than anything in the compact luxury class.  Jeeez.

I've been speccing out some cars recently and a Mazda 6 is a wayyyyy better deal than the Mazda 3.. which would have been my pick of the economy class.  And the 6 looks much better and I think has as good an interior as the compact luxury class.  How did the 6 get to be such a good value?!  I understand it's still FWD, and I'd prefer something smaller, but it's hard to beat.
The 6 is quite a bit pricier than the 3,and the 3 is more fun.

Rich

Here in the land of South Canada, a Mazda 3s Touring is MSRP: $23,845* and a Mazda 6 Touring is MSRP: $23,945*

I haven't driven either so it may be more fun, but I think the 6 looks better.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

cawimmer430

I must be in the minority but I like it. Conservative? Yes, but it's not ugly and does look sporty and dynamic. The word "understatement" comes to mind - and maybe that's what genuine Audi customers want.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

A lot of people don't like the Giulia; it's got a weird face and forgettable proportions.

12,000 RPM

Audi is making the mistake of thinking their design language is iconic and evolutionary

They need a Jaguar moment

And they need to stop sharing headlights with SEATs. This thing looks cheap and mainstream, a Fusion Titanium has more presence.

Been saying it for a while now but this whole segment desperately needs a hot beef injection of style. It's also all got a little too big to be legit sporty. How sporty/exciting could something the size of an old 5 series look? I think more turbos or displacement would be a good thing as well. Been saying the Japanese should move up to 3.0-4.0L V6s if they dont want to go turbo, or just go single low tech turbo and then high tech twin turbo 3.0Ls if they do.

Not sure why people are dumping on the TLX either. Yes it looks like an amoeba with Jewel Eye™ headlights. But its layout is great and honest for the kind of driving most folks in its market does, and the 8DCT in the 2.4L is genius- torque converter to get rolling with the speed of a DCT once it is. Once Honda throws the 2.0T in it it will be a dark horse contender. A legit choice for people who dont give a shit about chassis balance or driving dynamics.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SJ_GTI

Definitely boring. I have seen spy pics previously so I am not surprised this is the final product.

Still no idea what my next car will be (and honestly I do not see myself buying anything in the next 3-5 years), but right now I cannot see how I could buy another Audi. I was very disappointed in the A3 and this car just doesn't look very good.

If I was buying today I think they only legit contenders for my money would be the ATS or 2-series.

ifcar

Quote from: HotRodPilot on June 29, 2015, 02:05:04 AM
Here in the land of South Canada, a Mazda 3s Touring is MSRP: $23,845* and a Mazda 6 Touring is MSRP: $23,945*

I haven't driven either so it may be more fun, but I think the 6 looks better.

Well, the 3s is a lot zippier than than a heavier 6 with the same engine. Steering and handling are also night and day between the two, and the 3 has better seats unless you need to spread out a lot.

ifcar

I will say that this A4 looks quite attractive to me. The issue is that it's just a very slight refinement of the existing car's good looks.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SVT666 on June 29, 2015, 12:55:11 AM
Audi's styling has jumped the shark just like Aston Martin. Every single car in the lineup looks like a scaled up or down version of the other.  Their styling also peaked about 8 years ago and has since taken a sharp turn straight into the shitter.  The interior is nice...in a BMW,because that's who they stole it from. Oh, and they should give their NAV screen back to Mazda.
Me and the fellas just had this discussion. We agree with you 100%!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

I like it. The interior, not so much, but the exterior is clean. Stuck on screen and BMW-esque dash don't look good.

I love how you guys complain about stuff being busy and overwrought, but when a car comes out that isn't, all of a sudden it's boring. There's no pleasing you people. It's better looking than the ugly 3 and fugly Q50, and the challenging IS, and the C class's overly large grille and dumpy rear end don't match up to this either. Plus, it's a Mercedes, which means you don't drive it place as much as you pay for its repairs.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: ifcar on June 29, 2015, 07:06:43 AM
I will say that this A4 looks quite attractive to me. The issue is that it's just a very slight refinement of the existing car's good looks.

To me this is the issue. I am not saying they had to start from scratch, but it seems barely different from the B8.5 styling refresh. Plus it again got bigger (longer), and only half of the extra length went to the wheelbase, which means the overhangs got even longer.

It was always unlikely I would be getting another Audi, and this "new model" (using the term loosely) pretty much just ended any real future considerations.

MexicoCityM3

:zzz:

Came in here expecting to be bored to death. Audi delivered.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on June 29, 2015, 08:09:12 AM
I love how you guys complain about stuff being busy and overwrought, but when a car comes out that isn't, all of a sudden it's boring.
Well, this is a legit gripe if we all adopt similarly binary thinking. Busy/overwrought and boring aren't the only two buckets cars can fit into. Bottom line, this A4 literally looks 10 years old out of the gate, and that is a bad thing. F30 might not be pretty, but while it's still evolutionary it's very obviously a new car. To the average $349/mo lease plebe this is a facelift. Audi dropped the ball.

MrH

Looks great IMO.  One of my favorite recent new designs.  I absolutely love what audi is doing with their interiors in their latest releases (TT, Q7, A4).  The virtual cockpit is awesome.

The exterior looks modern and reserved.  :huh:  My only concern is price.  I'm guessing the S4 is going to be pushing $70k.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

How you guys can beat off to that Alfa and some lame Skodas, but hate on this, I'll never understand.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Would have been awesome.... 10 yrs ago. B8 doesnt look good enough to maintain the same design for 20 yrs

GoCougs

What is that virtual dash gonna look like in 3, 5 or 7 years, even given the off chance it's not buggy? I can't imagine it looking nothing other than even more awful.

As to the exterior, esp. the avant, the roof line doesn't slope like it used to so the car doesn't give the appearance of sitting back on its haunches, which Audi pulled off masterfully with the B8.

I'm bummed. The B9 S4 was a contender but not looking like this (there's also a rumor Audi will be using a TTV6 with an electric supercharger to mitigate/eliminate boost  :facepalm:).

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 29, 2015, 09:39:41 AM
Well, this is a legit gripe if we all adopt similarly binary thinking. Busy/overwrought and boring aren't the only two buckets cars can fit into. Bottom line, this A4 literally looks 10 years old out of the gate, and that is a bad thing. F30 might not be pretty, but while it's still evolutionary it's very obviously a new car. To the average $349/mo lease plebe this is a facelift. Audi dropped the ball.

Based on what everyone says around here, it's the case that no one is satisfied by the hideous new cars or the good looking ones. If anything, people seem to prefer the grotesque slightly.

And it doesn't look old at all. Evolutionary designs last longer; it's the jarring changes that end up looking dated. Fact is the the current A4 and the last gen too are both head and shoulders better looking than anything in the market then or now, and this looks better than everything else.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on June 29, 2015, 08:14:08 AM
To me this is the issue. I am not saying they had to start from scratch, but it seems barely different from the B8.5 styling refresh. Plus it again got bigger (longer), and only half of the extra length went to the wheelbase, which means the overhangs got even longer.

It was always unlikely I would be getting another Audi, and this "new model" (using the term loosely) pretty much just ended any real future considerations.

The extra length is disconcerting.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i