5 star for a reason

Started by mazda6er, December 15, 2005, 03:08:04 PM

mazda6er

I don't feel like typing a ridiculous amount of explanation, so I'll give it to y'all short and sweet. Last week, wednesday, I was driving home from college, and like a jackass, apparently, decided to take the long way around my neighborhood. Long story short, I was carving up the turns like it was summer. Clearly, it was not. The icy roads finally got the better of me when I ended up @ 45 mph in a 25 and skidded into a utility pole @ 35 mph, TCS be damned. $7,267.83 and about 14 days later, I will have my car back...sometime after Christmas.

The parents killed me, brought me back to life, killed me again, etc. and for good reason. The number of lessons I've learned are so ridiculous it's not even funny. I doubt I'll even be going 5 over the limit for a long time now, especially in the winter. The most annoying part is that I'd driven completely without incident through 3 pretty bad winters, but the first sign of snow this year got me. Chalk it up to stupidity, I suppose.

There are some positives out of this though:
1- I'm perfectly fine, despite the airbags deploying (didn't even need them) <_<  
2- The car doesn't have to be totaled. A few more years or a few thousand more miles and I'd be sitting in a used Camry or something
3- Despite the high cost of repairs, the only things remotely mechanical that were damaged were the radiator, the air filtering system, and the air bag sensors need to be replaced obviously
4- The afformentioned lessons

So be careful guys, and above all,  be smarter than me.

Crap, that was ridiculously long.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Tom

TBR

You and FOL ought to start a club ;)

ifcar

You were sitting on this information for over a week? Wow.  

footoflead

QuoteYou and FOL ought to start a club ;)
I hit a tree..but utility poles are made of trees..so sure...

how bout...

I fought the tree and the tree won club :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

glad your ok dude...why did you tell us sooner.... :angry:  :D  ;)  ;)  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

ifcar

The Phantom from C/D would belong in that club as well.  

MX793

I slid a motorcycle into a tree once.  No damage done, though (to myself or the bike).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

mazda6er

QuoteYou were sitting on this information for over a week? Wow.
Didn't really feel like typing it all out, and I didn't have all the info up until a few days ago. But yeah, wow.  :lol:  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

mazda6er

how bout...

Thanks, and ha ha yeah we should. The sig will be edited shortly.

"Co-presidents of the Unwilling Lumberjack Club"  :lol:  
--Mark

Raza

You should be more careful in the future.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mazda6er

QuoteYou should be more careful in the future.
I agree completely. It's testiment to my stupidity that you, of all people, are telling me that.
--Mark

giant_mtb

This makes me want to be even more careful while I'm driving...thanks.  And it's good to hear you're perfectly fine, but sad that the vehicular object is not.  :(  

footoflead

how bout...

Thanks, and ha ha yeah we should. The sig will be edited shortly.

"Co-presidents of the Unwilling Lumberjack Club"  :lol:
that what we gonna put??:D

let me know...you got my aim right?...PMs work as well

i'll be off and on tonight..

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

sparkplug

Some people learn through experience, some through other peoples experiences, and some never learn anything at all because they didn't survive.

You live long enough and you'll wonder how you got as far as you have.

It's a good thing thing that you lived. Hopefully you were wearing your seatbelt. That probably doesn't matter now, since it already happened.

It should decrease the desire to take crazy risk while driving because they're just too expensive.

At least you are not living in a diminished capacity.

J86

shit dude, that sucks!  

Run Away

Raza

QuoteYou should be more careful in the future.
I agree completely. It's testiment to my stupidity that you, of all people, are telling me that.
Hey, as a speeder and amateur Tiff Needell, safety is my number one concern.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

footoflead

Yeah...i'm glad your ok..we both crashed at about the same speed...i was pretty lucky that the truck truely was built like a rock...^_^

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

mazda6er

QuotePics or ban!
No digi-cam, and even if I had one, pics weren't the first thing on my mind. The body shop is 20 minutes away, so I'm not about to bother to go out there to take pictures either. Just imagine a 6 with a wood-stained, semi-circular dent in the front fender, the left side of it hanging off, and a buckled hood. The rest of the car was fine, though I got some excellent burning plastic smell from my airbags.

Oh and my seatbelt doesn't work anymore, it's a good thing I was wearing it.  
--Mark

mazda6er

QuoteSome people learn through experience, some through other peoples experiences, and some never learn anything at all because they didn't survive.

You live long enough and you'll wonder how you got as far as you have.

It's a good thing thing that you lived. Hopefully you were wearing your seatbelt. That probably doesn't matter now, since it already happened.

It should decrease the desire to take crazy risk while driving because they're just too expensive.

At least you are not living in a diminished capacity.
sarcastic part: Thank you, Reverend.  :D

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

serious part: Very true, although I must say, I knew I was being stupid, so that wasn't really what I learned. I did, however, learn that I can't get away with being stupid. I'm very thankful that I did not injure myself or anyone else or any property, other than my car. And yes, I was wearing my seatbelt, and always do. Without the seatbelt, I most definitely would have been injured, even though the airbags deployed. In my defense, I practically NEVER drive in a manner that could be considered crazy. This has just shown me that I need to take the "practically" part out, and leave the NEVER.  :)
--Mark

sparkplug

You learned about tire adhesion and grip, personal pain and humiliations.

You want to see some car accidents go here car accident site

Don't go there on a full stomach.

mazda6er

QuoteYou learned about tire adhesion and grip, personal pain and humiliations.

You want to see some car accidents go here car accident site

Don't go there on a full stomach.
Damn, man I'm afraid to imagine what's at that link. Maybe I'll get the courage tomorrow. I admire your sincerity, were you (or a loved one) in a serious accident at some time? :(
--Mark

SargeMonkey

For some reason I have the urge to call you retarded. 45 in a 25 when the roads are solid pack ice... If you had lets say AWD and you kept acceleraing... I hit 95 in our camry so I am just a tad bit re-tarded to. So think it will ever be the same? I drive like an idiot and our car gets crunched in a parking lot. It wasn't even moving.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

Secret Chimp

Congratulations on being down $7000 for driving like a jackass.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Speed_Racer

OK...from that crash site, I found this one. The kid lived, so I can pick on him for being a retard.

"Well this is not good to start with, I had bought this car on the 26 th of april at 7:15 pm and then it all happend.... i was playing around with it in longbranch, wa ...on my way home at about 7:15 pm a dumb fat 19yr old female pulled out in front of me when i was going 55mph...she never stoped at the stop sign and was racing her bro that had already went across. well i hit her in the door and lost my car all in 24 hrs.....it had about $7,000 in to it after i bought it like some profmance parts put me at about 716 hspower and about 1.9 0-60mph and at 3.75 on the .25 mile (210mph) estematedby machine. I WAS MAD!!!!! and they paid hardley any money back to me!!! Next car is a hummer (MAybe I WILL DRIVE AWAY FROM THIS ONE)?!?!!?!?!?!?!?"

716 horsepower, 1.9 sec. 0-60, 210 mph in the 1/4 mile? On tires like that? I doubt it...highly. He's been playing too much GT4. Of course, it was "estematedby machine," so it must be true.

Haha, this one made me laugh.

giant_mtb

3.75 1/4 mile time?  Double you tee eff is that?  <_<  

mazda6er

QuoteFor some reason I have the urge to call you retarded. 45 in a 25 when the roads are solid pack ice... If you had lets say AWD and you kept acceleraing... I hit 95 in our camry so I am just a tad bit re-tarded to. So think it will ever be the same? I drive like an idiot and our car gets crunched in a parking lot. It wasn't even moving.
Thank you, and yes hopefully it will be 99% the same when I get it back. About 75% of the cost is sheetmetal and labor, then ~15-20% is airbag/seatbelt repair (sensors and stuff add to that cost) and the remainder is for the only damaged "mechanical" compononts: the radiator, and some small A/C and air filtering parts.

QuoteCongratulations on being down $7000 for driving like a jackass.
And thank you. Actually, I'm down $100, for now (deductible). The real loss of money will come when the cost of insurance increases.
--Mark

Speed_Racer

You only had a $100 deductible? Not bad... :rockon:  

TBR

Except he is paying a fortune in premiums because of it. When I've run the numbers in the past the $1000 deductible has looked like the best way to go, as long as you don't get in an accident within 6 months you will easily make up that extra $500 (I only compared it to a $500 deductible).

mazda6er

QuoteExcept he is paying a fortune in premiums because of it. When I've run the numbers in the past the $1000 deductible has looked like the best way to go, as long as you don't get in an accident within 6 months you will easily make up that extra $500 (I only compared it to a $500 deductible).
Yeah, it does sound pretty logical, I must admit. I'm sure my parents had good reason to go for the $100 deductible though, they're pretty intelligent, though maybe too conservative. I can't really comment, I'll have to do some research.  
--Mark