Autonomous Cars

Started by AutobahnSHO, October 08, 2015, 08:53:13 AM

AutobahnSHO

yeah but that junk is all over the wet roads, so the salt just gets re-sprayed onto a clean car. maybe not as much with freshly snowy/salty roads but...
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 23, 2018, 12:58:01 PM
Its more about getting the salt off than staying clean.

Right, and the most spray happens when the roads are a mess.  Might as well wait 'til it cools off and dries up. 

Overall, though, a wash or at least a rinse once a week regardless of weather is good practice in the winter.

CaminoRacer

I desperately need to spray the Mazda off. It's disgusting and I don't like touching the door handle.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

The CR-V's wipers use the camera up by the rearview mirror for rain sensing duties. But AFAIK it does not promote a wash/wipe if the thing gets dirtied up.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 23, 2018, 01:26:53 PM
Right, and the most spray happens when the roads are a mess.  Might as well wait 'til it cools off and dries up. 

Overall, though, a wash or at least a rinse once a week regardless of weather is good practice in the winter.

The reaction that causes rust takes time. Even removing old salt just so new salt  can be there tomorrow interupts that reaction.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Will

93JC

Self-driving cars are here. But shouting Californians are attacking them, DMV says

QuoteIt's a good thing self-driving cars haven't been programmed for road rage.

If they had, the Californians who have taken to the streets this year to attack the vehicles — one man "with his entire body" — might have been in trouble.

So far in 2018, there have been only six reported traffic incidents involving self-driving vehicles in California, according to the state's Department of Motor Vehicles. But of those six incidents, two involved angry, violent Californians going up to the futuristic cars on San Francisco streets and attacking.

The first incident started on Jan. 2 around 9:30 p.m., when a pedestrian saw a self-driving Chevrolet Bolt at 16th and Valencia Streets in the city's Mission District. The vehicle was stopped at a green light as it waited for other pedestrians to cross the street.

But then the onlooker "ran across Valencia Street, against the 'do not walk' symbol, shouting, and struck the left side of the ... rear bumper and hatch with his entire body," according to a California DMV incident report.

The vehicle was slightly damaged, but no one was injured, according to the incident report. Police weren't called. The vehicle was being operated by GMC Cruise, the self-driving vehicle arm of the giant automaker.

RAGE AGAINST THE (SELF-DRIVING) MACHINE!  :rage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWXazVhlyxQ

Laconian

Mission District? The attackers were high on something.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Funny enough, the rage was predicted by Isaac Asimov 50+ years ago. Even if they were high, there is some underlying animosity.
Will

Morris Minor

Setting aside the high level of insanity that, unique to San Francisco, is the norm: people fear what is not transparent.

If I get my fender stoved in by some guy in an Impala who wasn't paying attention, there's a clear line of ownership of the error. He's a guy like me, sitting at the wheel, driving the car and responsible for it. I can relate to him. It could have been me. So there's a reassurance to that. A man actually driving a car may no longer be the most efficient way to get it around, computers do it better, but we'll take the reassurance of the suboptimal. We prefer it over the unsettling opaqueness of no-humans-required lumps of metal moving around our spaces.

12,000 RPM

Autonomous cars = accidents are much less likely to happen

I have trouble finding people on the road who AREN'T on their phones. Give me a computer over that any day
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 08, 2018, 08:19:01 AM

I have trouble finding people on the road who AREN'T on their phones. Give me a computer over that any day

+1

But people fear the lack of control.
Will

Onslaught

I need cars to wreck so I can work and get organ donors.
bah weep granah weep nini bon

Morris Minor

That goes for me too, and I think that goes for the few in this forum, who take an unusual level of interest in these things.
But we are not typical of the wider population.

shp4man

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on March 08, 2018, 10:08:41 AM
Soon Kalifornia will be second only to Florida as the loony toony capital of the country.  :nutty:

Why would they drop a notch?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 08, 2018, 10:23:04 AM

Why would they drop a notch?

Commiefornia has had the #1 spot for years!
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on March 08, 2018, 10:08:41 AM
Soon Kalifornia will be second only to Florida as the loony toony capital of the country.  :nutty:

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 08, 2018, 10:32:06 AM
Commiefornia has had the #1 spot for years!

Florida's chief export is Florida Man bath salt stories.

Laconian

Lyft/Uber/any 1099 income will have worse net pay for a given gross amount. Employers pay a lot of taxes behind the scenes that individual contractors are liable for otherwise.

Laconian

Quote from: veeman on March 19, 2018, 11:52:55 AM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/woman-dies-in-arizona-after-being-hit-by-uber-self-driving-car/ar-BBKqSzV?li=BBnb7Kz

Autonomous cars are a long way away. 

Not all implementations are the same. It's no surprise that this happened in Arizona, which is essentially unregulated WRT autonomous car reporting regulations.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on March 19, 2018, 11:52:55 AM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/woman-dies-in-arizona-after-being-hit-by-uber-self-driving-car/ar-BBKqSzV?li=BBnb7Kz

Autonomous cars are a long way away. 

Nah, they really need to record the video in them and show that it's not the self-driving cars which are the problem. I'm surprised they aren't already.
Will

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 19, 2018, 12:05:24 PM
Nah, they really need to record the video in them and show that it's not the self-driving cars which are the problem. I'm surprised they aren't already.

They are in other states, but not in Arizona, since self-regulation blahblahbla

AutobahnSHO

This article is a little older but highlights the struggle:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/dec/14/uber-self-driving-cars-run-red-lights-san-francisco

"she wasn't sure if the "secondary driver" or the company would be held accountable."
"Talkoff further noted that there aren't state or federal laws governing self-driving cars.

"First comes technology, then comes policy. It's going to be a matter of setting some precedents," she said, adding, "The companies that are putting these vehicles on the road should have their vehicles operate with due regard to the rules of the road.""

Will

12,000 RPM

If tech companies are going to be held liable, we will have to go with God. No way is the Goog/Uber/whoever paying out on a wrongful death suit; lawyering victims' families to death is much cheaper and better for PR.

shp4man

It may be that the car couldn't stop in time. The woman was jaywalking, so...

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 19, 2018, 12:45:38 PM
If tech companies are going to be held liable, we will have to go with God. No way is the Goog/Uber/whoever paying out on a wrongful death suit; lawyering victims' families to death is much cheaper and better for PR.

people will learn quick not to run into the street without looking. (they shouldn't be already)
Will

12,000 RPM

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 19, 2018, 12:56:54 PM
people will learn quick not to run into the street without looking. (they shouldn't be already)
Don't make assumptions, we have no idea what happened here.

veeman

There is something inherently scarier about a robot running you over than a human (I'm not talking about from the point of view of the person being run over, for which it doesn't matter).