Un-frigging-believable..... New car purchase woes

Started by MX793, November 03, 2015, 09:59:07 PM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 18, 2015, 08:18:09 AM
Main strategy, from what I understand, is to wear a sport jacket when negotiating for the discount.

:facepalm:  THAT'S where I've been going wrong!!!!
Will

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on November 18, 2015, 05:40:47 AM
I don't have high hopes for more than a few hundred dollars off.  X plan pricing is already barely above invoice.  I don't see them going thousands beneath that.  X plan is also, technically, non-negotiable.  They'd be financially better off telling me to order a different car.  This is a pretty small dealership in a small, rural community (though part of a larger dealership family).  This isn't one of those big volume dealerships that has a dozen Mustangs in inventory at any given time.  I doubt their allocation is more than 4 (I only saw them get 3 2015s).  My guess is they'll offer an additional $500 and an extended factory warranty plan.
Should be a minimum of a grand and an extended warranty.

veeman

I hope you get all you can but I really doubt extended warranty.  Buying an extended warranty is usually at least 1 thousand dollars and often more.  Good luck to you.

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on November 18, 2015, 05:40:47 AM
I don't have high hopes for more than a few hundred dollars off.  X plan pricing is already barely above invoice.  I don't see them going thousands beneath that.  X plan is also, technically, non-negotiable.  They'd be financially better off telling me to order a different car.  This is a pretty small dealership in a small, rural community (though part of a larger dealership family).  This isn't one of those big volume dealerships that has a dozen Mustangs in inventory at any given time.  I doubt their allocation is more than 4 (I only saw them get 3 2015s).  My guess is they'll offer an additional $500 and an extended factory warranty plan.

Your two biggest negotiating points are carrying costs of probably $100-$200/mo and that they'd have to (or should) disclose to future buyers they had to repair the car. That's way more than $500.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: GoCougs on November 18, 2015, 02:29:15 PM
Your two biggest negotiating points are carrying costs of probably $100-$200/mo and that they'd have to (or should) disclose to future buyers they had to repair the car. That's way more than $500.

I doubt they have to disclose repairs to new buyers (unless they are asked). I think it is pretty common for new cars to need some cosmetic work prior to sale.

Re: carrying cost...you are right, except that they might think they can sell the car quickly and at a higher price (keep in mind OP is already getting below market pricing).

JWC

Quote from: veeman on November 18, 2015, 01:58:02 PM
I hope you get all you can but I really doubt extended warranty.  Buying an extended warranty is usually at least 1 thousand dollars and often more.  Good luck to you.

But it doesn't cost that much to the dealership. It is actually a very good bargaining item. When I bought one of my wife's cars, the $900 extended warranty plan was being sold to employees at $399--and it was Ford ESP.

MX793

Quote from: veeman on November 18, 2015, 01:58:02 PM

Salesperson said in cases like this, an extended factory warranty is typical.  Bear in mind that much of whatever rebates/extras I'd be getting would come directly from Ford, not the dealership.

Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 18, 2015, 02:32:08 PM
I doubt they have to disclose repairs to new buyers (unless they are asked). I think it is pretty common for new cars to need some cosmetic work prior to sale.

Re: carrying cost...you are right, except that they might think they can sell the car quickly and at a higher price (keep in mind OP is already getting below market pricing).

I'm told that because their shop is Ford Factory certified for paint, the work they do is an extension of the factory.  Additionally, as you've stated, it was purely cosmetic in nature and the damaged component was wholly replaced by a new Ford part.  As far as the official record is concerned, this car is factory fresh and there would be no obligation to disclose that anything had been done.  I have no real leverage there.

As to carrying costs, they apparently don't seem too bothered by carrying costs.  They have a 2015 that's been sitting there for over a year and they don't seem particularly motivated to cut the price to get it out of there.  They're still advertising it for full MSRP.  They had a "silent sale" on Labor day and I swung by just to see what they were pricing that car at and they didn't even have a discounted price tag on it.  Thought maybe they had lined up a buyer for it but, 2+ months later, it's still sitting in front of their showroom.  They also have my deposit, that I don't expect I'll get back if I walk, which would cover most or all of their carrying costs until spring.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Actually, your deposit is 100% refundable if you walk.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: SVT666 on November 18, 2015, 11:38:03 PM
Actually, your deposit is 100% refundable if you walk.

It should be refundable, but I doubt the dealership will make it easy.  :lol:

I think if I was happy with the paint job I would likely be taking the car and get whatever extras I could out of the whole ordeal.

JWC

Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 19, 2015, 05:54:32 AM

I think if I was happy with the paint job I would likely be taking the car and get whatever extras I could out of the whole ordeal.

I agree.

I used to have a room mate who worked at a manufacturing plant for one of the big three.  His job was a "parker"--the car came off the line and his job was to drive it to the shipping lot. He said you'd be surprised how many times they damaged cars parking them, requiring them to be repaired before leaving. People just assume their new car has never seen a body shop.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: JWC on November 19, 2015, 06:33:51 AM
I agree.

I used to have a room mate who worked at a manufacturing plant for one of the big three.  His job was a "parker"--the car came off the line and his job was to drive it to the shipping lot. He said you'd be surprised how many times they damaged cars parking them, requiring them to be repaired before leaving. People just assume their new car has never seen a body shop.

Maybe they should pay to get better quality parkers. Lol
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FlatBlackCaddy

100k a year plus full bennies, paid vacation, paid sick days and christmas bonuses is prettg shitty, I'm sure they had a hardtime finding good parkers.

JWC

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 19, 2015, 05:38:49 PM
100k a year plus full bennies, paid vacation, paid sick days and christmas bonuses is prettg shitty, I'm sure they had a hardtime finding good parkers.

He didn't quite make that much, but $20+/hour in 1975 might not have been too far off. Most people were making less than $4/hour at the time.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

BimmerM3

Quote from: JWC on November 19, 2015, 05:51:29 PM
He didn't quite make that much, but $20+/hour in 1975 might not have been too far off. Most people were making less than $4/hour at the time.

Hmm, just out of curiosity...

$20/hour * 40 hours/week * 48 weeks/year (to be overly generous with the estimation) = $38,400/year. According to http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm, $38,400 in 1975 equals $169,757.98 in 2015.

Holy crap!

JWC

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 20, 2015, 02:06:09 PM
Hmm, just out of curiosity...

$20/hour * 40 hours/week * 48 weeks/year (to be overly generous with the estimation) = $38,400/year. According to http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm, $38,400 in 1975 equals $169,757.98 in 2015.

Holy crap!

Damn! You know grocery cashiers (union job), for places like Albertson's and Safeway, paid about the same during that period. I wasn't too far from that working for an auto parts store chain in the Bay Area back then. And to think the family of the girl I was madly in love with at the time thought I was a bum....LOL.

12,000 RPM

$170K to park cars... its a real mystery why the domestics languished in the 70s lmao.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 20, 2015, 02:47:29 PM
$170K to park cars... its a real mystery why the domestics languished in the 70s lmao.

Parker is actually a premium job. Not saying that the pay is justified, but it is a step up from assembly or even paint.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb