Un-frigging-believable..... New car purchase woes

Started by MX793, November 03, 2015, 09:59:07 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 04, 2015, 06:46:56 AM
I am not sure that is better. I feel like the local paint shop would have an easier time matching the exact shade of paint...?

I may be wrong but I would think even factory paint has slight variation to the shade when manufactured at different times.

Yes, the factory paint will vary slightly from vehicle to vehicle and a body shop(top 5) should be able to match it better. However the factory finish may still be better from a quality standpoint.

FlatBlackCaddy

Also, I didn't know you ordered one, congrats. The mustang is a hell of a car, it's one of my favorite new cars.

veeman

When you special order a car, isn't there some sort of down payment?  If you cancel the order, the dealer won't refund that willingly my guess.

MexicoCityM3

Congrats on the Mustang order. Bummer about the trunk.

If you're really not driving it in the winter months, I'd just reorder later or negotiate a reasonable discount for the car they have for you.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MrH

Quote from: veeman on November 04, 2015, 09:20:47 AM
When you special order a car, isn't there some sort of down payment?  If you cancel the order, the dealer won't refund that willingly my guess.

Usually a refundable deposit of $1,000 or so is all it takes.

When I ordered my BRZ, I don't think I put anything down honestly.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Our Outback got in a fender bender while getting a tank of gas. We refused to take delivery (though they didn't apply any pressure to us) and we just waited ~2wks for another car with the same spec to arrive.

As you mentioned, winter is upon us, so TBH you won't really be benefiting much by taking a car right away vs. in the early spring - it'd just be a few weeks of fun, right? I know you've been waiting a long time for this car, but this is a decision with long term implications.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

I put a $500 deposit down.  I presume that if I order another car, they'll just apply it to that car.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

I'd tell them to go pound the Mustang up their ass, then go buy a Challenger Scat Pack. Then I'd go right back to the Ford dealership and do donuts in the parking lot.

Seriously though, I wouldn't accept the car. If it's not going to give you 100% of the satisfaction you were going to pay your hard earned money for (damaged goods, aggravating order process), walk away and order something else in the spring. I can't imagine even liking the car after all that horseshit.

MX793

This has definitely left a bitter taste in my mouth for Ford.  Unfortunately, there's not really anything else under $35k that appeals to me.  Challenger is too big/heavy for autocross and too expensive, Camaro SS is too expensive, I didn't like the Genesis coupe, and I have zero interest in anything turbocharged or 4 cylinders.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Meh, I'd just negotiate for a discount and just roll with it. All car dealers are retail outlets (i.e., they're all sorta sucky when it comes to customer service).

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on November 04, 2015, 12:04:26 PM
This has definitely left a bitter taste in my mouth for Ford.  Unfortunately, there's not really anything else under $35k that appeals to me.  Challenger is too big/heavy for autocross and too expensive, Camaro SS is too expensive, I didn't like the Genesis coupe, and I have zero interest in anything turbocharged or 4 cylinders.
why buy new?
http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/176c2d36
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FlatBlackCaddy

370Z?

It's probably what I would spend my money on if I were looking for a new sub 35K rwd nice weather performance coupe.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on November 04, 2015, 12:12:57 PM
Meh, I'd just negotiate for a discount and just roll with it. 

Definitely get some kind of discount if you take THIS car.
Will

FlatBlackCaddy

Ohh I'd definitely expect some sort of discount over this whole debacle. 1K off the sticker might make you feel a bit better and ease the pain of thinking of this situation everytime you look at the car.

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on November 04, 2015, 12:12:57 PM
Meh, I'd just negotiate for a discount and just roll with it. All car dealers are retail outlets (i.e., they're all sorta sucky when it comes to customer service).

Personally, fuck that. No discount would satisfy me in restoring my enthusiasm for the car.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 04, 2015, 12:22:21 PM

370Z?

It's probably what I would spend my money on if I were looking for a new sub 35K rwd nice weather performance coupe.
Yea +1. You should be able to score a Sport for dirt cheap, I feel like dealers can't give em away, and they MSRP at like $34K. NA, V6, lightish, legit fun, should have no problems finding one. I would at least give one a test drive. If I recall correctly they are just as fast in a straight line as the GT too (high 12s I think)
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Payman

You can't find a nice GT at any Ford dealership within a 100 mile radius? In any case, season's over. Refuse this car, and start fresh in the spring.

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on November 04, 2015, 12:40:40 PM
You can't find a nice GT at any Ford dealership within a 100 mile radius? In any case, season's over. Refuse this car, and start fresh in the spring.

I found 1 2016 with the options I wanted (base GT w/ PP) in extended inventory when I looked a week ago and it wasn't my first choice for color.  Everything else was a $40k+ premium model or didn't have the performance pack.  If I'm paying up for a new car, I will get exactly what I want.  They checked for 2015s in extended inventory spec'ed like the one I ordered before ordering and couldn't find any.  Couldn't find one in any color with those options.
Needs more Jiggawatts

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 04, 2015, 12:38:04 PM
Yea +1. You should be able to score a Sport for dirt cheap, I feel like dealers can't give em away, and they MSRP at like $34K. NA, V6, lightish, legit fun, should have no problems finding one. I would at least give one a test drive. If I recall correctly they are just as fast in a straight line as the GT too (high 12s I think)

Need a back seat and decent luggage space.  Z has neither.  Also the Z is quite long in the tooth and the motor is pretty coarse.
Needs more Jiggawatts

SJ_GTI

Meh, if you want a Mustang just stick with the Mustang. No reason to consider other cars (unless there is a good reason to, like new models or new options/pricing).

Personally I'd give them a change to do the fix and if it looks good then ask for a reasonable discount and take the car. I was (and still am) perfectly happy with my damaged S4.  :lol:

GoCougs

Quote from: Rockraven on November 04, 2015, 12:37:17 PM
Personally, fuck that. No discount would satisfy me in restoring my enthusiasm for the car.

If it was a quarter panel or roof (i.e., a LOT of metal work to fix or replace) I'd probably move on too. However, a trunk lid is an easy bolt in.

I'd go for a $3,500 discount, and I think I'd get it. There's diminished value plus if MX793 doesn't take it they'll have unexpected carrying costs to have it sit on their lot till it sells to someone else.

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on November 04, 2015, 02:43:21 PM
If it was a quarter panel or roof (i.e., a LOT of metal work to fix or replace) I'd probably move on too. However, a trunk lid is an easy bolt in.

I'd go for a $3,500 discount, and I think I'd get it. There's diminished value plus if MX793 doesn't take it they'll have unexpected carrying costs to have it sit on their lot till it sells to someone else.

Thing is, the dealer will already have to eat the cost for the repair/paint... trying to get any kind of discount, never mind $3500, will no doubt substantially add to the aggravation. I'd end up hating the car and want to kill a kitten every time I looked at it.

MX793

If it was roof or quarter panel, I'd be walking away without a second thought.  That it's an easy bolt-on like the trunk has me still considering.  I definitely will not accept it at full, or X plan, price.  I still have concerns that it might have been more than cosmetic damage to the trunk, like damage to the latch mechanism.
Needs more Jiggawatts

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on November 04, 2015, 02:55:22 PM
Thing is, the dealer will already have to eat the cost for the repair/paint... trying to get any kind of discount, never mind $3500, will no doubt substantially add to the aggravation. I'd end up hating the car and want to kill a kitten every time I looked at it.

Since the damage happened in transit on the rail car, I doubt the dealer eats that cost.  Ford or the shipper will reimburse the dealer.  I do feel kind of bad for the dealership since none of this was their fault.  This is all on FoMoCo and whomever they pay to ship their cars.  But that's no reason for me to have to accept less than what I ordered.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Payman

Quote from: MX793 on November 04, 2015, 03:30:39 PM
Since the damage happened in transit on the rail car, I doubt the dealer eats that cost.  Ford or the shipper will reimburse the dealer.  I do feel kind of bad for the dealership since none of this was their fault.  This is all on FoMoCo and whomever they pay to ship their cars.  But that's no reason for me to have to accept less than what I ordered.

Okay, but all that submitting claims and reimbursements takes time. One more thing... I remember when a guy's Camaro got totalled at a dealership, and he was offered another one off the lot. Dude ran a quick car fax and found it was once damaged. Turns out the bumper got damaged on the dealer's lot and they replaced it. The concern is, isn't it possible the fact that the trunk was replaced could come back to bite you in the ass when you go to trade/sell it?

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: GoCougs on November 04, 2015, 02:43:21 PM
I'd go for a $3,500 discount, and I think I'd get it.

3500??? Seriously??? and you "think" you'd get it?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 04, 2015, 03:50:11 PM
3500??? Seriously??? and you "think" you'd get it?
The power of the Canali sport jacket.™
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

So I swung over to the dealer a little while ago and found my car parked in the back of the lot (didn't bother to go in or talk to any of the staff there).  There's a pretty small but deep dent just above the driver's tail light.  Definitely requires replacement of the trunk lid.  I didn't notice any other damage, but it was dark and I didn't spend more than a minute or two looking at it so as not to draw attention.  It's possible the tail light may have been affected.  I kind of doubt it was a hard enough hit to cause damage to the latch or any of the structure.

The "I've been waiting 3 months and want my car ASAP" part of me is still willing to consider accepting this car provided the paint work on the replacement trunk lid looks good and they knock an acceptable amount of money off the price.  That side of me is saying "at least give it a chance before rejecting it".  But the other side of me agrees with you guys (and almost everyone else I've consulted) that I should just call them and tell them I won't accept a vehicle that has been repaired under any circumstances.  Especially since, this late in the season, there is little difference between me taking delivery right before Thanksgiving and immediately parking it in my garage until April or taking delivery in April.
Needs more Jiggawatts