Honda Ridgeline is Motor Trend's Truck of the year

Started by crv16, December 20, 2005, 10:36:53 AM

crv16

DETROIT - The Honda Ridgeline has been named the 2006 truck of the year by Motor Trend magazine, an award that could help boost the pickup's lackluster sales.

It's the second time this year that a Honda vehicle has won the magazine's top award. Motor Trend last month named the newly redesigned 2006 Honda Civic its car of the year. The 2006 Nissan Xterra was the publication's sport utility vehicle of the year. The designation is important to automakers, who often use Motor Trend's endorsement in their advertising.

This is also the second straight year that a Japanese maker has won Motor Trend's truck of the year. Last year's winner was the 2005 Toyota Tacoma.

The Ridgeline, which went on sale in the spring, is Honda's first entry in the pickup market. Motor Trend said innovative features set it apart from other trucks in its class, including an 8.5-cubic-foot trunk under the pickup's bed, four cargo lamps that illuminate the bed and a rear gate that opens like a door or swings down.

"The Ridgeline showcases a vehicle built on intelligent technology and impressive durability," Angus MacKenzie, editor of Motor Trend, said in a news release.

Finalists for the truck of the year were four large trucks _ the Dodge Ram 1500, Dodge Ram Mega Cab, Lincoln Mark LT and the Ridgeline _ and two compact trucks, the Isuzu i350 and the Mitsubishi Raider. Only new or substantially redesigned trucks were considered, and all had to be on sale to the public by Jan. 1, 2006.

The Ridgeline was the unanimous pick of Motor Trend's editors after thousands of miles of testing in a variety of weather conditions. Motor Trend evaluates the vehicle's finish and materials, engineering, handling and response, safety and power.

Motor Trend also takes into account the truck's value for its price. The Ridgeline starts at $27,700, according to Edmunds.com, an online vehicle research site. By comparison, the Isuzu i350 starts at $16,989, the Dodge Ram 1500 starts at $20,090, and the Lincoln Mark LT starts at $38,680.

Despite the accolades, the Ridgeline may not meet Honda's sales targets this year. Dick Colliver, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., said in January that Honda expected to sell 50,000 Ridgelines this year. As of the end of November, Honda had sold 36,000.

09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

bobwill

hasn't motortrend picked a car of the year that was a complete flop a lot of times throughout history?
I seem to recall that the Thunderbird was one.

Secret Chimp

All of those other trucks are just rebadges or mild variants/redesigns (Ram), so this choice seems rather obvious.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

crv16

Quotehasn't motortrend picked a car of the year that was a complete flop a lot of times throughout history?
I seem to recall that the Thunderbird was one.
The car & truck "of the year" awards don't necessarily pick the best vehicle on the market, just the best of the newly redesigned models for that given year.

If the only new models for a given year are a bunch of turkeys, then they have to pick the best of the worst.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

SVT666

I would hardly call the "new" 2006 Dodge Ram (and Mega Cab) to be a turkey.  The 2006 Ram has a new frame, new sheetmetal (forward of the windshield), new interior, and the largest and most innovative cab to ever be put in a truck.  The Ridgeline can't even compete with other trucks in it's segment (in terms of power, towing, hauling, and off-road ability), so how can it beat the Ram?  Motor Trend should stick to cars (oh wait! They did).

giant_mtb

"The Ridgeline, which went on sale in the spring, is Honda's first entry in the pickup market. Motor Trend said innovative features set it apart from other trucks in its class, including an 8.5-cubic-foot trunk under the pickup's bed, four cargo lamps that illuminate the bed and a rear gate that opens like a door or swings down."

Innovative features?  Oh yeah, just forget about the part where it's a shitty truck, just go for the in-bed trunk and a few two watt light bulbs!  

SVT666

Not to mention it looks like a dumpster with headlights.

so cal cookie

Given that most of the other trucks are minor refreshes, or rebadges of other trucks, this is the only all new truck available.

I find it interesting that everyone focuses on the Ridgline's tailgate that opens both ways.  Didn't the GMC Envoy XUV do that too?

Tom

I'm not trying to say nuthin, but just look at what, uhhh....community wrote this praising article: http://www.metroweekly.com/gears/?ak=1655 ;)  

mazda6er

QuoteI'm not trying to say nuthin, but just look at what, uhhh....community wrote this praising article: http://www.metroweekly.com/gears/?ak=1655 ;)
You hear that guys?  The Ridgeline isn't soft at all. It still gets you butch points, and Lord knows we could all use some of those.

LMAO  :D
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

JYODER240

QuoteI'm not trying to say nuthin, but just look at what, uhhh....community wrote this praising article: http://www.metroweekly.com/gears/?ak=1655 ;)
You hear that guys?  The Ridgeline isn't soft at all. It still gets you butch points, and Lord knows we could all use some of those.

LMAO  :D
Ben, instead of Run away your showing up as Mazda6er :(  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Run Away

<_<  

SVT666

Holy shit!!!  Did you read that?  It's got a fabulous trunk!!!  Why is everyone so hung up on this stupid trunk?  Has no one noticed that if you have a flat tire and you are on holidays, that you are going to have to unload all your luggage just to get to the spare donut?  AHHHHHH!!!!  A donut on a pickup?  

A few other observations:

1. The V6 offers adequate power for running around town.  If this was a Ford, Dodge, or GM, it would have been "lacking power".  

2. The tailgate is notched down an inch for better rearward visibility.  If this was a Ford, Dodge, or GM, the tailgate would have "looked out of place" or "the lines don't flow around to the back of the truck".  

3. 4wd only works below 30mph and is more awd then 4wd and there is no low range.  If it was a Ford, Dodge, or GM, it would have been "it is reprehensible that a pickup doesn't have true 4x4".

Why are automotive journalists so prone to overlooking obvious faults or drawbacks of a vehicle just because there's a big "H" on the front when they would have ripped apart a domestic for having the same faults or drawbacks.

I just realized the guy called it a "fabulous trunk".  I think he's gay.  No wonder he likes this thing.  

mazda6er

Quote<_<
:D  What're they feeding you guys? Maybe it's a side effect of bird flu or something.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Tom

QuoteHoly shit!!!  Did you read that?  It's got a fabulous trunk!!!  Why is everyone so hung up on this stupid trunk?  Has no one noticed that if you have a flat tire and you are on holidays, that you are going to have to unload all your luggage just to get to the spare donut?  AHHHHHH!!!!  A donut on a pickup? 

1. The V6 offers adequate power for running around town.  If this was a Ford, Dodge, or GM, it would have been "lacking power". 

2. The tailgate is notched down an inch for better rearward visibility.  If this was a Ford, Dodge, or GM, the tailgate would have "looked out of place" or "the lines don't flow around to the back of the truck". 

3. 4wd only works below 30mph and is more awd then 4wd and there is no low range.  If it was a Ford, Dodge, or GM, it would have been "it is reprehensible that a pickup doesn't have true 4x4".

Why are automotive journalists so prone to overlooking obvious faults or drawbacks of a vehicle just because there's a big "H" on the front when they would have ripped apart a domestic for having the same faults or drawbacks.

I just realized the guy called it a "fabulous trunk".  I think he's gay.  No wonder he likes this thing.
That's why I said look at the publisher...it's a "Gay & Lesbian" magazine.  That's the joke ;)  I posted it as a joke, not because I like it .  I've said numerous times I detest this "truck"

Colonel Cadillac

How much did Honda have to pay for this advertising stunt? Hopefully a hefty sum, because this is a disservice to society.  

SVT666

QuoteHoly shit!!!? Did you read that?? It's got a fabulous trunk!!!? Why is everyone so hung up on this stupid trunk?? Has no one noticed that if you have a flat tire and you are on holidays, that you are going to have to unload all your luggage just to get to the spare donut?? AHHHHHH!!!!? A donut on a pickup??

1. The V6 offers adequate power for running around town.? If this was a Ford, Dodge, or GM, it would have been "lacking power".?

2. The tailgate is notched down an inch for better rearward visibility.? If this was a Ford, Dodge, or GM, the tailgate would have "looked out of place" or "the lines don't flow around to the back of the truck".?

3. 4wd only works below 30mph and is more awd then 4wd and there is no low range.? If it was a Ford, Dodge, or GM, it would have been "it is reprehensible that a pickup doesn't have true 4x4".

I just realized the guy called it a "fabulous trunk".? I think he's gay.? No wonder he likes this thing.
That's why I said look at the publisher...it's a "Gay & Lesbian" magazine.  That's the joke ;)  I posted it as a joke, not because I like it .  I've said numerous times I detest this "truck"
:o  Oh shit.  I didn't even see that...I called it though :D  

Tom

QuoteHoly shit!!!? Did you read that?? It's got a fabulous trunk!!!? Why is everyone so hung up on this stupid trunk?? Has no one noticed that if you have a flat tire and you are on holidays, that you are going to have to unload all your luggage just to get to the spare donut?? AHHHHHH!!!!? A donut on a pickup??

1. The V6 offers adequate power for running around town.? If this was a Ford, Dodge, or GM, it would have been "lacking power".?

2. The tailgate is notched down an inch for better rearward visibility.? If this was a Ford, Dodge, or GM, the tailgate would have "looked out of place" or "the lines don't flow around to the back of the truck".?

3. 4wd only works below 30mph and is more awd then 4wd and there is no low range.? If it was a Ford, Dodge, or GM, it would have been "it is reprehensible that a pickup doesn't have true 4x4".

I just realized the guy called it a "fabulous trunk".? I think he's gay.? No wonder he likes this thing.
:o  Oh shit.  I didn't even see that...I called it though :D
I'll give you that :lol:   But it's not like there weren't enough hints ;)  :D  

mazda6er

--Mark

SVT666

:P Man, what were you doing on that website to begin with?  

mazda6er

His homepage? *shrugs*  :D
--Mark

Tom

:ph34r:  :ph34r:

No, it's from a google search.  Looking for "offroading" pictures.  Here's my favorite :D :

See, even has almost-convincing dirt marks.

SVT666

:ph34r:  :ph34r:

No, it's from a google search.  Looking for "offroading" pictures.  Here's my favorite :D :

See, even has almost-convincing dirt marks.
LMAO

SVT666

Run Away

QuoteYeah, that guy was gayer than a pink 2X4.
:(
Tim's done with CarSpin.

Tom

footoflead

Quote"The Ridgeline, which went on sale in the spring, is Honda's first entry in the pickup market. Motor Trend said innovative features set it apart from other trucks in its class, including an 8.5-cubic-foot trunk under the pickup's bed, four cargo lamps that illuminate the bed and a rear gate that opens like a door or swings down."

Innovative features?  Oh yeah, just forget about the part where it's a shitty truck, just go for the in-bed trunk and a few two watt light bulbs!
In-bed trunk :rolleyes:

how would you get your shit out when you have lets say 20+ 50lb haybales sitting on top of it...or a cubic yard of dirt...

This is where FBC's comment comes in...(see sig)
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Catman

QuoteYeah, that guy was gayer than a pink 2X4.
:(
Tim's done with CarSpin.
:lol:  

FlatBlackCaddy

A much more realistic and unbiased review. Best ridgeline review yet, IMO.

"Several of the editors loved the accord like ride/handling/and capability(the accord has more cabin room as well as more dry storage) of the ridgeline. Even the acceleration was compared to a S2000 by more than one of our drivers in the test fleet. While all our drivers have seen pickups before few have ever driven one or used one to even half of its potential. Once honda dropped off a shiny new ridgeline(the badge is big,bold and beautiful) and threw us the keys we all grinned with exitement. After a short honda power up, which consisted of punching walls and dragonball Z imitations we got down to the meat and patatoes of this new pickup. The first thing you realize when you sit in the drivers seat is that this is a honda, and it truely is a timeless masterpiece sure to drop jaws of all who see it. After 30-40 minutes of rolling around inside and playing with all the buttons and a few more dragonball z imitations we exited the vehicle and admired its breathtaking exterior design. It was then i realized i didn't even need to drive this gem, this honda truck is truely the new king of the hill."

Written by: Dan "i spank to honda's" Schiel.
April 13, 2005 The California Castrator

giant_mtb

QuoteA much more realistic and unbiased review. Best ridgeline review yet, IMO.

"Several of the editors loved the accord like ride/handling/and capability(the accord has more cabin room as well as more dry storage) of the ridgeline. Even the acceleration was compared to a S2000 by more than one of our drivers in the test fleet. While all our drivers have seen pickups before few have ever driven one or used one to even half of its potential. Once honda dropped off a shiny new ridgeline(the badge is big,bold and beautiful) and threw us the keys we all grinned with exitement. After a short honda power up, which consisted of punching walls and dragonball Z imitations we got down to the meat and patatoes of this new pickup. The first thing you realize when you sit in the drivers seat is that this is a honda, and it truely is a timeless masterpiece sure to drop jaws of all who see it. After 30-40 minutes of rolling around inside and playing with all the buttons and a few more dragonball z imitations we exited the vehicle and admired its breathtaking exterior design. It was then i realized i didn't even need to drive this gem, this honda truck is truely the new king of the hill."

Written by: Dan "i spank to honda's" Schiel.
April 13, 2005 The California Castrator
So it's a car.  That's all I got out of that shitty review.