911 R! AWW SKEET SKEET SKEET FAAAKKKK

Started by 12,000 RPM, March 01, 2016, 06:16:32 AM

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FlatBlackCaddy

Loved the houndstooth, hate the exterior color combo(and stripes/color).

Porsche is turning out instant collector cars left and right it seems.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Ditch the red stripes, and it's just about perfect. Maybe some form of the ducktail spoiler for icing on the cake.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 01, 2016, 07:36:33 AM
Loved the houndstooth, hate the exterior color combo(and stripes/color).

Porsche is turning out instant collector cars left and right it seems.
Word on the skreet is they were pissed off at not being able to cash in on the air cooled bubble. They came up with some "Porsche Classic Stealership Service" bullshit but that's nothing compared to the 5-6 figure capital gains acquired by people who bought 993 anythings at the bottom

They get it though. Fuck, I want this car so bad. Will they follow with a new Cayman R?

MexicoCityM3

Meh. The car is fantastic but the whole "cars only get sold to 918 owners bla bla bla" make me not give a shit because that means these are de facto as unattainable as a Bugatti.

Happened even with the much less expensive GT4.

Current Porsche pricing here is getting attractive. I've been playing a lot on the configurator recently.

This is what I'd like (and that is actually available without stupid limits):

- Base 911 Carrera (new turbo with 370hp)
- Manual
- Sports plus seats
- BOSE sound system
- Heated seats
- Aluminum interior package
- Graphite blue/beige
- ISOFIX for passenger seat (because baby)
- Sports exhaust

That comes to about $92K here which isn't bad at all. Only about 10K more than a comparable M4.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

I feel you on the unattainability front. That is annoying. As you kind of said though, thankfully a "run of the mill" 911 Carrera is still a phenomenal GT with no barriers to ownership. And again, there is always the aftermarket.

CaminoRacer

Carrera 2S with a good aftermarket exhaust is all ya need. If the Corvette GS is just too manly for you.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

GS/Z06 look like modern day interpretations of old Callaways

I am just not a fan of the C7's looks in general. C6 and C5 FRC were much classier

Cookie Monster

Meh, I don't like 911's. They look so damn bloated now.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

They do look like Panamera coupes, it is kind of sad.

I am bummed I cannot buy a 996 right now. They are ready to bounce and still 911 ish despite the 96 Ford Taurus interior. Maybe thats why they called it the 996

Cookie Monster

I don't see 996's ever appreciating, unless the future 911's become even bigger turds.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

Eye of the Tiger

What if 911 was just 911 and the numbers between 990 and 1000 were never equal to 911?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Cookie Monster

So I just realized this has a 6MT instead of the 7MT.

All kinds of want now. :wub:
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

The R stands for "real deal"

Sad though that you have to pay out of the nose for no turbos. We are truly in a different era

FlatBlackCaddy

While we may be able to split hairs within the porsche lineup.

The reality is that just about any 911 is pretty much going to probably deliver the best driving experience of anything on the market.

12,000 RPM

Agreed. At pretty much any of its price points the 911 seems to be the best overall and driver's car by a landslide. It can be a legit family car unlike anything with 2 seats, it's fun below 999/thousandths unlike a GT-R, and it's way more dynamic than pretty much every other 4 seater under $200K. It's weird, contrarian and important too.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 06, 2016, 10:47:48 AM
Agreed. At pretty much any of its price points the 911 seems to be the best overall and driver's car by a landslide. It can be a legit family car unlike anything with 2 seats, it's fun below 999/thousandths unlike a GT-R, and it's way more dynamic than pretty much every other 4 seater under $200K. It's weird, contrarian and important too.

Lotus Evora?
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

Quote from: thecarnut on March 06, 2016, 10:49:30 AM
Lotus Evora?
Good call, but Camry engine and worse transmissions cancel out the much better chassis IMO. 911 is the full package

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 06, 2016, 01:03:55 PM
Good call, but Camry engine and worse transmissions cancel out the much better chassis IMO. 911 is the full package

Camry engine is probably a plus reliability wise. :lol:

Do you have a link for the worse transmissions part? I'm genuinely curious.

Evora is lighter (not by much but it counts), looks better, handles better and is much rarer. 911's are a dime a dozen.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

Quote from: thecarnut on March 06, 2016, 01:18:25 PM
Camry engine is probably a plus reliability wise. :lol:

Do you have a link for the worse transmissions part? I'm genuinely curious.

Evora is lighter (not by much but it counts), looks better, handles better and is much rarer. 911's are a dime a dozen.
I don't have a link, but pretty much any review I've read on it has negative comments about both transmissions- especially the slushbox auto.

Looks & handles better are legit, but rarity is a negative in terms of actual car ownership. Good luck getting service or parts in most of the country in a timely fashion. 911 is a better daily driver. Plus rarity is dependent on where you are. I saw 911s probably on a monthly basis in NYC. I have seen about 4-5 911s down here in the last 3 years.

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 06, 2016, 02:06:45 PM
I don't have a link, but pretty much any review I've read on it has negative comments about both transmissions- especially the slushbox auto.

Looks & handles better are legit, but rarity is a negative in terms of actual car ownership. Good luck getting service or parts in most of the country in a timely fashion. 911 is a better daily driver. Plus rarity is dependent on where you are. I saw 911s probably on a monthly basis in NYC. I have seen about 4-5 911s down here in the last 3 years.

Anyone who buys a Lotus with a slush box auto deserves to have it assplode on them.

68_427

QuoteHEIMERDINGEN, Germany — Even in some parts of Porsche 911 land, the normally aspirated engine is dying. It's being overtaken by a vast array of turbocharged powerplants, which are more potent, torquier, and economical. So why does Porsche refuse to switch its most emotional products to forced induction?

"Because there are clients who want to experience driving pleasure in its purest form," answers Porsche GT division head Andreas Preuninger. "In more ways than one, the authentic, honest, and transparent 911 R fulfills the customer desire for absolute functionality. For me personally it is kind of a motorbike substitute for public roads, less so for track days."

Our car for the day is a virtually undisguised and unnumbered pre-production model of the all-new, 2016 Porsche 911 R. Painted in GT silver, this understated example does without the loud PORSCHE lettering along the flanks as well as the louder, full-length rally stripes, which come in red or green — war paint inspired by the brand's go-faster styling of the '60s. The incognito livery pictured here matches the wolf-in-sheep's-clothing character of this otherwise stealthy, super 911 coupe.

While its body and chassis were borrowed from the GT3, the 911 R shares several lightweight panels (roof, wings, doors, windows) and its 4.0-liter engine with the GT3 RS. Following the underdog theme of the original 1967 version of which Porsche built only 19 units, the new Porsche 911 R (991 will be built, and all are spoken for) features a mildly modified pop-up spoiler a la the Carrera S instead of the fixed double-decker wings unique to the GT models. Together with the active wing, a diffuser integrated in the rear apron helps maximize downforce, even at top speed. In front, an aero kit borrowed from the GT3 reduces lift.

Ready for action? With a broad grin and a nod, Preuninger reaches for the ignition key, and we're in business. The engine springs to life with a growl, takes a deep breath to 1,500 rpm, then emits a long, pearly snarl before settling in at a restless idle. The erratic firing order is reminiscent of a faulty pacemaker, the exhaust duet raps in sync with the pulsating heart rate of the 500-horsepower flat-six engine.

Even though the gear lever is still in stand-by position, the transmission tunnel rattles like a bunch of carnival ratchets. "These noises are too precious to be eliminated," says Preuninger. "Generated by the optional single-mass flywheel, they evoke emotions. In addition, the low-inertia device takes out [11 pounds] in weight, and it further speeds up the ultra-quick throttle response. You don't like it? Then simply disengage the clutch."

In this car, Porsche's legendary boxer plays a louder and more mechanical tune. The acoustic highlight is the stereophonic gear changing process, which has such an in-cab presence we wouldn't be surprised if Porsche had installed a microphone in the engine bay and a separate speaker on the firewall. Contributing musicians are the humming ceramic brakes, the whistling wind noise, and the differential's groan-or-grind monologue. The distinctive aural presence is amplified by the lighter passenger cell aka resonance chamber, which has shed roughly 55 pounds, along with the rear seats. At approximately 3,021 pounds, the 911 R weighs about 110 pounds less than the GT3 RS, and that's with driver and a full tank of fuel. The dry weight — the only weight measurement certain competitor companies disclose for their sports cars — is an equally impressive 2,756 pounds.

Within a 30-mile radius of Weissach, Preuninger is familiar with every corner, crest, and radar trap. The car's cornering prowess and stability through high-speed bends is absolutely phenomenal. While cerebrum and cerebellum are slapping one high five after the other, the wide-body animal keeps building up speed and grip, displaying minimal lean and no hint of a commencing slide. The dampers are still set in normal mode, the stability control warning light has yet to file an objection, and we're still in fifth gear, pressing on down a long, long straight. Even though every gear change breaks the flow by inducing a momentary weight transfer, the 911 R won't alter its confidence-inspiring attitude as long as there is enough momentum to support progress.

ZF produces the new six-speed manual transmission for the 911 R and for the next GT3/GT3 RS, so there will soon be a choice between DIY and the double-clutch gearbox. Predictably, even the slickest and quickest shift artists cannot match the acceleration times of the PDK-equipped GT3 (3.5 seconds) and the GT3 RS (3.3 seconds). When revs, clutch action, tire temperature, and grip level work in unison, the R can sprint to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds. Bad for bragging rights but a real eye-opener when experienced unplugged and in Cinemascope. The reinforced clutch does a good job taming the restless flywheel, the shifter works with the fine mechanical precision of a high-end camera shutter, and the eagerly staggered gear ratios are indifferent to eventual CO2 concerns.

The brain takes time to acknowledge the highly physical g-force and the time-warp stopping power as controllable, not as angst on wheels. On nine out of 10 roads, this 911 holds the line with aplomb. Over the really rough stuff, however, the R eventually lays down its arms with a resigning posture that is half rubber mattress, half pop rivet. As soon as the earthquake surface begins to smooth out and you can go faster than 40 mph without curbing a wheel or bending a spring, the chassis reinstates that fundamental compliance that can only be neutralized by a premature stab at the damper button. Beyond 70 mph, the adjustable suspension handles such road building lapses as sharp potholes and tackles transverse ripples and frost-bite leftovers with skill and sheer instinct. Even over such difficult terrain, the front end refrains from hopping and trembling, the steering won't sashay around the straight-ahead position, and the aerodynamic stability squashes undue body movements before they even start. This inherent tautness spreads from C-road roughness all the way to table-top smoothness.

Even though the virginal silver coupe has less than 100 miles on the clock, the chief project engineer clearly does not want to be a party pooper. So he hits the Sport Plus symbol, keeps the traction/stability button pushed for more than 8 seconds, and once again checks the mirrors and seatbelt. We hope Preuninger knows the upcoming esses like the back of his hand, because the approach speed is eerily ambitious, the brake point is at least two car lengths too optimistic, and the turn-in is so radically fast that we are bound to run out of front-end grip. But no. The bite reflex of the 245/35R-20 Michelins is supernaturally reliable, and the cornering balance built into the dedicated suspension pays off once again. But overdo it, and that dreaded counterswing may kick the car off course for good, no matter how hard the diff tries to set things straight again. When the 339 lb-ft of maximum torque take the gloves off, even the extra-wide 305/30R-20 rear tires will duly smear sideways with smoldering grandezza.

The rear-wheel steering encourages quick changes of direction, and it helps plotting a stable line at high speed. At the adhesion limit, it's the job of sticky rubber and the talented chassis to distribute all that oomph in the most effective manner. Assistance is provided by ASR, ESP, and the mechanical differential lock, which feels edgier but more effective than most electronically controlled systems. In Sport Plus, stability control is more willing to turn a blind eye to a pending loss of traction, and the shock absorbers don't absorb shocks quite as thoroughly anymore. Your neighbors would definitely hate the switchable exhaust made of superlight titanium, which barks its message with an intensity that makes window panes tremble from a passing decibel overdose. The artificially generated on-demand throttle blipping that precedes downshifts in the best heel-and-toe fashion sounds comparatively hushed.

The 911 R is fast, emotional, involving, and extreme even without all those wild wing add-ons. But its prime virtue is the shotgun responsiveness, the almost telepathic reaction to throttle orders, brake activation, and steering inputs. When Preuninger floors the accelerator at 4,000 rpm in second gear without warning, my head slams into the seatback, I feel like my legs become almost weightless for a second or two, and feel my torso freeze in a mix of momentary immobility and total bafflement. The turbo-style kick produced by this remarkable naturally aspirated engine lets up ever so slightly at 7,000 rpm, 1,500 rpm before the limiter cuts in. Born in the motorsports department, the 4.0-liter six is addicted to high revs. The maximum power output equals 8,250 rpm, while the torque curve peaks at 6,250 rpm. Even in fifth and sixth, the dynamo-like urge continues to unfold.

"The 911 R combines the best of worlds," proclaims Preuninger. "It's a high-revving, low-inertia powerhouse, but at the same time it picks up revs in a tall gear with explosive exertion. Which is another way of saying that you may shift down a notch whenever you feel like it, but there is rarely a real need to do so. This car can be raucous or refined, just take your pick."

The 24-valve uber-boxer draws the line between the two traits at about 4,500 rpm. Below that threshold, it feels almost like a laissez-faire V-8. Above it, brace yourself for an unreal push that combines the zest of an afterburner with the long legs of a gas turbine. The 4.0-liter normally aspirated kraftwerk bridges the extremes with a relentless energy that the modern turbocharged 3.0-liter unit can only dream of. It's the perfect engine for this hooligan car in disguise, which is as minimalist inside as its reduced appearance suggests. On the autobahn, the R even eclipses the two sold-out Batmobiles: At 202 mph, it has the top speed edge over GT3 and GT3 RS.

The 991 lucky buyers benefit from standard items including 918 Spyder-style buckets with traditional pepita cloth upholstery, bespoke green instrument faces, and a set of carbon-fiber dashboard applications. Air-conditioning and infotainment are no-cost options. Extra money buys a hydraulic front axle lift (dispensable, since the R uses the less vulnerable GT3 nasal air dam), a more elaborate finish for the lightweight wheels, full leather trim, and single-mass flywheel.

A select few vehicles can be channeled through the Exclusive division, but since the R is the last of the pre-facelift 991-series 911 models, the production schedule is extremely tight. According to the Weissach grapevine, the next GT3 is due in 2017, followed by a new GT3 RS in 2018 — and a still-to-be-defined 911 R replacement the year after. Although all three models will again be available only in limited numbers, this time we can give you up to three years advance warning.

2016 Porsche 911 R Specifications

On Sale:   Now (sold out)
Price:   $185,950 (base)
Engine:   4.0L DOHC 24-valve flat-6/500 hp @ 8,250 rpm, 339 lb-ft @ 6,250 rpm
Transmission:   6-speed manual
Layout:   2-door, 4-passenger, rear-engine, RWD coupe
EPA Mileage:   15/21 mpg (city/hwy) (est)
L x W x H:   178.4 x 72.9 x 50.2 in
Wheelbase:   96.7 in
Weight:   3,021 lb
0-60 MPH:   3.7 sec
Top Speed:   202 mph
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 06, 2016, 10:47:48 AM

A legit family car if your kids have no legs. Have you ever seen the back seat of a 911?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  on March 15, 2016, 11:36:28 AM
A legit family car if your kids have no legs. Have you ever seen the back seat of a 911?
A 911 is a legit family car???  Sporty is legitimately losing his mind.

12,000 RPM

Ha ha, crazy indeed.

Are you serious guys?

SVT666

And how tall are you Sporty?  I guarantee those kids are sitting behind people no taller than 5'2".

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT666 on March 15, 2016, 02:19:06 PM
And how tall are you Sporty?  I guarantee those kids are sitting behind people no taller than 5'2".

Naw...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Porsche/comments/33d06c/can_a_911_be_a_dad_car/

QuoteI have a 996tt daily driver and it works pretty well. I'm 6'1 and have a set of 6 year olds that I've been driving in the back seats since I got it 4 years ago. I do have to scoot the seat up a bit for them to have leg room, but it's still comfortable for me and the kids. Heck, we often go in it as a family and have done grocery shopping, etc and it works great.

That means he had them in through various iterations of car seats. 911 is most certainly a family car