Mustangs selling like hot cakes worldwide

Started by Byteme, April 20, 2016, 12:36:30 AM

Galaxy

Quote from: CLKid on April 20, 2016, 12:36:30 AM

In Germany, Mustang was the best-selling sports coupe in March, according to data published by German Federal Motor Transport Authority, KBA. Despite relatively high gas prices, the 5.0-liter V8 is the No. 1 engine choice in Germany. The country also has the highest international take-rate for the convertible model, with one in three sales.

Does not surprise me considering that Ford looked away when German Ford dealerships were selling grey import Mustangs in the past.

12,000 RPM

I wonder if

- BMW is regretting tossing the V8 from the M3
- GM is regretting putting the vacuum cleaner V6TT in the ATS-V

I'm also surprised the Camaro isn't seeing similar success. Well, maybe not so much with the visibility/livability issues.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

Drove with a new Camaro most of the way up to Columbus last weekend.  It was a blue V6 model.  Hot damn, it looks sooooo much better than the last one.  :wub:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 27, 2016, 06:36:58 AM
I wonder if

- BMW is regretting tossing the V8 from the M3
- GM is regretting putting the vacuum cleaner V6TT in the ATS-V

I'm also surprised the Camaro isn't seeing similar success. Well, maybe not so much with the visibility/livability issues.

Its so hard to figure out why they did that. They have such a great engine in the LT1 (pooprods4life). They should be putting that engine in every car possible IMHO. I can't imagine building the LT1 with its economies of scale is more expensive than the one-off engine they built for the ATS-V.

MX793

The TTV6 is found in a couple of models (CTS and XTS) and will likely appear in more in the future.  The ATS-V version has had a few tweaks for more power versus other applications, but isn't really bespoke.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

All the models the V6TT is in are selling well below expectations and declining

Meanwhile the LT1 is ubiquitous

If someone wants a BMW they will buy a BMW.  Its no coincidence that Cadillac's flagship has a hairy chested V8 in it.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 27, 2016, 07:38:29 AM
All the models the V6TT is in are selling well below expectations and declining

Meanwhile the LT1 is ubiquitous

If someone wants a BMW they will buy a BMW.  Its no coincidence that Cadillac's flagship has a hairy chested V8 in it.

The LT1 is only used in the Corvette and Camaro, the latter not exactly setting the world on fire.  Everything else is using some lesser variant of the GenV small block.

I've always thought it would be interesting to see GM use the 5.3 in a performance application.  Like as the middle engine option in the Camaro instead of the V6.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

All the Gen Vs have LT-1 tech. The L86 is just tuned for trucks. They can spread it around. There is no point in having the V6TT, they can refine the LT-1 for Alpha duty.

GoCougs

The GM TTV6 is found in the ATS-V, XTS VSport (a car I secretly love), CTS VSport, and new CT6, so they're getting good mileage out of it.

The LT1 is used in the Corvette and Camaro, a slightly tweaked version is used in full-size trucks and SUVs, and it serves as the building block for the supercharged LT4, so they're getting a lot of mileage out of this too.

The thing is, though the LT1 has better performance, economy and driving experience, it is not as inherently refined as a TT DOHC V6, and GM is probably anticipating Euroist-style displacement/cylinder # tax coming down the pike.

I still would have liked to see the LT1 in the ATS-V. As it is there's no real reason to buy one (save that you're a Caddy fanboy, if such a thing exists), unlike the CTS-V.

12,000 RPM

GM thinking they will ever make endroads with Cadillac in Europe is Sergio grade hubris. If they made any decisions based on that the leadership is worse than I thought. That decision is particularly hilarious in the context of the Mustang's European success. Pile em high, give em brum, sell em cheap- this has been the American modus operandi since Detroit's hey days.

MX793

Getting back to the spirit of this thread, despite their strong sales numbers, I'm only now just starting to see S550s on the streets locally with any sort of frequency.  Last year, I don't think I had even ten S550 spottings locally (and a couple I'm pretty sure were the same car that I crossed paths with more than once through the course of the summer).  The dealer I bought mine from still has a leftover 2015 that has been on their lot since October of 2014.  Gen5 Camaros are a dime a dozen, and Challengers are pretty plentiful as well.  Guess this just isn't Mustang country.  There used to be GM and Chrysler plants in the area, so that may play into it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 27, 2016, 04:19:14 PM
GM thinking they will ever make endroads with Cadillac in Europe is Sergio grade hubris. If they made any decisions based on that the leadership is worse than I thought. That decision is particularly hilarious in the context of the Mustang's European success. Pile em high, give em brum, sell em cheap- this has been the American modus operandi since Detroit's hey days.

Caddy would do OK in Europe if they were unapologetically, almost embarassingly American. I'm talking about making longhorn steer horn hood ornaments a dealer installed option, and having a shifter shaped like the grip of a Colt Peacemaker.

We're not going to out Euro the Euros. Let's out 'Murrican them.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on April 27, 2016, 04:21:21 PM
Getting back to the spirit of this thread, despite their strong sales numbers, I'm only now just starting to see S550s on the streets locally with any sort of frequency.  Last year, I don't think I had even ten S550 spottings locally (and a couple I'm pretty sure were the same car that I crossed paths with more than once through the course of the summer).  The dealer I bought mine from still has a leftover 2015 that has been on their lot since October of 2014.  Gen5 Camaros are a dime a dozen, and Challengers are pretty plentiful as well.  Guess this just isn't Mustang country.  There used to be GM and Chrysler plants in the area, so that may play into it.

You know, I haven't seen many on the street either. My neighbor's got one but otherwise I've just seen rental cars.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

I have been seeing a few out here. I think there is a guy who has a yellow convertible that lives in my neighborhood and works close to or at my job. It is def top down weather here. Actually yesterday I passed a GT on a 2 lane road.... on the bike. Some old man.

ifcar

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 27, 2016, 04:19:14 PM

That's still only good for niche success, though, and reinforcing stereotypes makes it that much harder to expand from that niche.

GoCougs

Word - the new Camaro is far more "European" than the Mustang - smaller, lighter, better engine and performance package choices but the Mustang sells well in Europe for the same reason Buick sells well in China and Wrangler sells well in the USA (I should say I don't even think/know if GM is targeting the Camaro for Europe).

280Z Turbo

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 27, 2016, 06:29:08 PM
Shame about the Camaro being ugly
And a submarine

"Man up and learn to drive a car with no windows"

Europe says, thanks but no thanks :lol:

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MX793 on April 27, 2016, 04:21:21 PM
Same here! I'm lucky if I see one or two New Stangs a week!

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 27, 2016, 06:29:08 PM
Shame about the Camaro being ugly
To each his own! The Camro looks 10x better than the Stang to me! And that's not Fanboi talk!

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 27, 2016, 06:57:13 PM
And a submarine

"Man up and learn to drive a car with no windows"

Europe says, thanks but no thanks :lol:
:deadhorse" And I thought the C6 "bad seats" shit got old fast..........

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Byteme

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 27, 2016, 04:45:51 PM
I have been seeing a few out here. I think there is a guy who has a yellow convertible that lives in my neighborhood and works close to or at my job. It is def top down weather here. Actually yesterday I passed a GT on a 2 lane road.... on the bike. Some old man.

Our local dealer has a few on the lot.  Cars are tucked away in the rear, the prime display space is taken up by trucks and SUVs, the cash cows.  I've seen several in town. 

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on April 27, 2016, 07:47:07 PM
To each his own! The Camro looks 10x better than the Stang to me! And that's not Fanboi talk!

I don't really have a dog in the fight (I cannot see myself ever buying a Camaro or Mustang), but IMHO the Camaro is a much nicer looking car (on the outside at least).

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 28, 2016, 06:24:12 AM
I don't really have a dog in the fight (I cannot see myself ever buying a Camaro or Mustang), but IMHO the Camaro is a much nicer looking car (on the outside at least).

It's taking me a while to warm to this Mustang compared to the last. 

It is undoubtedly sleeker than the old model, but it just doesn't look quite like a Mustang to me. 

Still, it's a much more delicate and svelte looking car than the new Camaro.  The high beltline and lack of glass make the car look very visually heavy, which is a detriment.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

The new Camaro looks smaller than the new Mustang in person, for what it's worth. Though neither is really going for delicate or svelte.

SJ_GTI

Different strokes for different folks. I see that same comparison you posted and it reinforces my opinion that the Camaro is much nicer looking.  :lol:

MrH

The new mustang schnozz is rough.  Look at how much bigger the front overhang is compared to the Camaro.  Everything looks tighter and more buttoned up on the Camaro IMO.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Rich

I would really like the Camaro to look more like this... hardly noticeable but important to me if I'm looking at the car a lot.

and I'd throw on 18's instead of 20's with a proportionate reduction in overall tire diameter.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

CALL_911

I'd take the new Camaro in a second. I would love a new SS

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: MrH on April 28, 2016, 07:04:58 AM
The new mustang schnozz is rough.  Look at how much bigger the front overhang is compared to the Camaro.  Everything looks tighter and more buttoned up on the Camaro IMO.

I'll give you that; the nose on the Mustang is probably the most troubling part of that design, which is probably why I haven't warmed to it so much. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CaminoRacer

I haven't noticed the Mustang overhang before. It's like a double/triple chin in that photo.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV