VW will buy back U.S. Diesels

Started by veeman, April 21, 2016, 06:47:11 PM

veeman

VW agrees to buy back diesels or "fix" them.  Owners decide.  Not every diesel model is affected (not the 3L ones I think).  Basically almost 500,000 U.S. cars on the road can be bought back by VW!  I doubt more than 20% will get them "fixed" instead.  Analysts are saying dieselgate will cost VW between 40 and 50 billion dollars by the time it's done.

Now the Europeans are pissed because there's no buyback there (less stringent emissions requirements for diesel) and they didn't get the 1000 dollar goodwill cash.

My diesel beetle is 2.5 years old with 55 thousand miles on it.  No way I'll get it "fixed".  The warranty is over, I need to replace the tires soon, and I know the turbo will fail soon after 100,000 miles.  I like the car but now I'm excited about what to get next.

12,000 RPM

Jesus M.F. Christ

Anyone know what their profits were in 2014 and how much cash they have on hand
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

What are the terms of the buyback? 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

I don't know the terms of the buyback but I'm assuming some book value plus some compensation for loss of that book value.  The announcement was made today.  There's some judge, Judge Breyer, who is overseeing almost everything dieselgate related in the U.S.  He gave VW a deadline of today to come up with a plan and reportedly he was pissed that the VW diesels were still on the road with no "fix" 7 months after dieselgate started.

Raza

Quote from: veeman on April 21, 2016, 07:19:35 PM
I don't know the terms of the buyback but I'm assuming some book value plus some compensation for loss of that book value.  The announcement was made today.  There's some judge, Judge Breyer, who is overseeing almost everything dieselgate related in the U.S.  He gave VW a deadline of today to come up with a plan and reportedly he was pissed that the VW diesels were still on the road with no "fix" 7 months after dieselgate started.

I would imagine there are cutoffs as well.  I wouldn't get set on the buyback until the terms are known. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Are they just going to crush these things, or do they actually have a viable fix?  I wouldn't mind a super low mile, clean Jetta Sport Wagon diesel with a stick for pennies on the dollar :lol:

Ohio doesn't smog test anyways.  Just rip the exhaust back out and flash the thing.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Buy back will reportedly be based on the value before the dieselgate scandal torpedoed resale values.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

The official excuse as to why no European VW diesel owner will get cash is because of "different regulation laws."
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb

It's sad how disposable cars have become. People are gonna discard housands of perfectly usable cars because they found out they're a little dirty out the tailpipe. :rolleyes:

:neverforget:

ifcar

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 22, 2016, 08:07:18 AM
It's sad how disposable cars have become. People are gonna discard housands of perfectly usable cars because they found out they're a little dirty out the tailpipe. :rolleyes:

Well, usable but not compliant with the law. It's not like the minimum standards for a car to be sold in the U.S. are "well, it runs, doesn't it?"

Also, we don't know that the cars are being scrapped; if there is a cost-effective fix, VW can do the fix and resell them.

2o6

I feel like brand loyalty about these diesels means that I don't think many as we think will be bought back. A great deal of people who bought VW diesels bought them because they wanted them.

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 22, 2016, 08:07:18 AM

A lot dirty. The car technically was never really legal to sell here.

giant_mtb

There are thousands and thousands of vehicles being bought/sold every day that are on the road that don't or no longer meet regulation.  Where's the buyback for those?

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 22, 2016, 08:26:07 AM
There are thousands and thousands of vehicles being bought/sold every day that are on the road that don't or no longer meet regulation.  Where's the buyback for those?

:wtf:

These didn't meet regulations since day one. They never met emissions regulations.

giant_mtb

veeman

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 22, 2016, 08:35:23 AM
I guesssssss 😧

If you, within the last few years, bought a diesel VW would you:

a.  Bring your car in to be "fixed" knowing your fuel economy will drop as will performance, be saddled with hardware/software which in all likelihood will require "adjustments" periodically requiring you to go to a VW dealer, be required perhaps by your state to undergo additional emissions testing in order to renew registration, and get little money in the future if you were to try and trade it in or sell it privately.

vs

b. Have VW buy back your car at a pre dieselgate trade in value.

Yes, one could "rip out" and/or "flash" the new hardware and software after it's been put in, but few I think would actively as opposed to passively seek to have a dirtier car for performance. It's not like these cars are used a lot at the track.

2o6

I don't think the fix will be that serious or limiting in power or economy.

veeman

Quote from: 2o6 on April 22, 2016, 09:31:23 AM

If that were the case, VW wouldn't have cheated in the first place.  I doubt it was strictly a cost issue for initially cheating but a combo of cost, fuel econ, and performance.

veeman

These weren't any engineers who couldn't figure it out.  They were German engineers :lol:

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on April 22, 2016, 09:31:23 AM

In a German test of a TDI-powered Volkswagen Amarok after the software was removed, the car was slightly slower and had slightly worse fuel economy.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 2o6 on April 22, 2016, 08:24:18 AM
I feel like brand loyalty about these diesels means that I don't think many as we think will be bought back. A great deal of people who bought VW diesels bought them because they wanted them.

A lot dirty. The car technically was never really legal to sell here.

If your state requires smog, I bet owners would rather dump the car rather than have to deal with the fixes. Plus, I wouldn't underestimate the cash aspect, either. Why not get greater than market value for your car? Even if you're loyal to VW, you can take that money and go buy another VW (no doubt VW will have mad cash rebates and discounts and customer loyalty programs).
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

veeman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 22, 2016, 10:39:16 AM
In a German test of a TDI-powered Volkswagen Amarok after the software was removed, the car was slightly slower and had slightly worse fuel economy.

And that's using German emissions requirements which are less strict than U.S. requirements.

The very fact that in 7 months despite immense both internal and external pressure (I'm talking Steve Jobs on his employees type of pressure), there has been no viable solution from VW engineering indicates they don't have any solution which maintains acceptable performance/fuel economy and doesn't cost several thousand dollars.  It's easier and cheaper when considering U.S. tort to just do a buyback.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Cookie Monster on April 22, 2016, 10:46:33 AM
If your state requires smog, I bet owners would rather dump the car rather than have to deal with the fixes. Plus, I wouldn't underestimate the cash aspect, either. Why not get greater than market value for your car? Even if you're loyal to VW, you can take that money and go buy another VW (no doubt VW will have mad cash rebates and discounts and customer loyalty programs).

Yep

I dont think the cars will get junked. They will probably ship them en masse to markets with less stringent emissions requirements.

veeman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 22, 2016, 11:13:26 AM
Yep

I dont think the cars will get junked. They will probably ship them en masse to markets with less stringent emissions requirements.

I was thinking about the public relations nightmare regarding that.  A hundred thousand VWs being shipped to Latin America or Europe because they were too dirty for the U.S.  Can't see it happen.  First we're building a wall and you're paying for it and now we're gonna throw poo over the wall at you. 

MrH

Quote from: veeman on April 22, 2016, 10:56:05 AM
And that's using German emissions requirements which are less strict than U.S. requirements.

The very fact that in 7 months despite immense both internal and external pressure (I'm talking Steve Jobs on his employees type of pressure), there has been no viable solution from VW engineering indicates they don't have any solution which maintains acceptable performance/fuel economy and doesn't cost several thousand dollars.  It's easier and cheaper when considering U.S. tort to just do a buyback.

What's the end result with the cars though?  Now VW has a half a million of their vehicles that can't meet emissions.  Do they crush them?  Send them to other countries?  Try some sort of urea system to make them compliant with US standards and then resell them?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Sergio will buy them and resell them as 2017 200s :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 22, 2016, 11:13:26 AM
Yep

This, but they can't do it in public.
Will

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MrH

Quote from: Tave on April 22, 2016, 01:39:37 PM

:lol:

Please tell me you're going to take the $5k and buyback, and get another Aveo.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited